i617/i616 WM 6.5 ROM Discovered!

Guest PrinceDwi

Guest PrinceDwi

I'm sure you've seen the progress on xda-developers, and I'm sharing the information for everyone here! :)

I wish to express many thanks to the people who have helped in this endeavour. I've been in contact with py8, the creator of the chinese WM 6.5 ROM that Shabudabu linked us, and he's provided a wonderful present for all of us - a custom WM 6.5 ROM for the SGH-i617 and the SGH-i616. I will try and continue to post regular updates as I get them from py8.

617demo.gif

You can get information on ROM flashing procedures for your phone by following this wonderful guide to flash the Samsung SGH-i617 (Blackjack II) here. Thank you nhathoa for posting the guide!

New Update Released! (1/15/2010):

--------------------------------------------------

File: [sGH-i617]WM6.5 [EN]_28004_20100115.bin

Size: 73319667 Byte

Date: 2010/1/15, 13:01:50

MD5: 06B5B6CF75BD714BCA72D4DFC102D4AC

SHA1: 6621A19FA2C597E171DE1828942691A80CAB6BA2

CRC32: 8F2FAA36

Version 28004_ 20100115 for download here. Alternate download link is available here.

New Years Release! (12/30/2009):

File: [sGH-i617]WM6.5_28004_1230_EN.bin

Size: 67360827 Byte

Date: 12/30/2009, 11:14:22

MD5: 999F38E8A09639BCD140B4D538CC5B7F

SHA1: D58A640470230A498CF678B014D497C65FAC7E9B

CRC32: D4036936

Version 28004_20091230 for download here. Alternate download link is available here.

py8's Bug & Feedback:http://www.zn520.com

xda-developers i617 WM 6.5 Thread : Visit Us!

Edited by PrinceDwi

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PrinceDwi

Changelog of the WM 6.5 ROM for i617:

[01/15/2010]

-Add chinese font & chinese support

-Fixed Sliding Panel WM6.5 & Delicacy Panel

[12/30/2009]

-Based on 20091227,Available Interface Languages: ENG

-Fixed keypress sound bug

-Add some components: AdobeFlash,WindowsLive,Rssreader...

-Remove some components: Alreader,Backup...

Edited by PrinceDwi

Guest PrinceDwi
Can you tell me if this ROM is for i617 used in the US?

Yes, this works for an AT&T branded Blackjack II. In fact, that's the device I'm using right now! It doesn't need to be unlocked either. =D the only qualm is that the clock doesn't auto-adjust just yet..but that's a bug for the rom kitchen used by py8 (similar symptoms occur for the first blackjack rom with WM 6.5).

Apart from that, flawless.

Thanks maybe this weekend I'll install it. But in trying to gather all the items I need to do it I ran into a roadblock. After downloading the guide you suggested I tried to get the software it stated I needed:

20080227001207828_MCCI_WHQL_Modem_Driver_4.40.7.exe , but the link is broken and the file is not available. Do you know of another link for the file or can you post it? Of course if the same process that was used to install 6.1 can be used I still have the instructions from Samsung, but I remember I needed to put special codes in for Vista:

Please close all open programs and disconnect the SGH-i617 from the USB cable.

On the computer, double-click on the file BlackJackII_WM6_1_Upgrade_For_Vista

The following image shows the program's opening screen.

For the ID prompt, enter 5688

For the Key prompt, enter 9231

Click on the Confirm button.

Would the same codes work for Windows 7 or others would be needed?

Any information would be helpful.

Edited by Gessie

Guest PrinceDwi
Thanks maybe this weekend I'll install it. But in trying to gather all the items I need to do it I ran into a roadblock. After downloading the guide you suggested I tried to get the software it stated I needed:

20080227001207828_MCCI_WHQL_Modem_Driver_4.40.7.exe , but the link is broken and the file is not available. Do you know of another link for the file or can you post it? Of course if the same process that was used to install 6.1 can be used I still have the instructions from Samsung, but I remember I needed to put special codes in for Vista:

Please close all open programs and disconnect the SGH-i617 from the USB cable.

On the computer, double-click on the file BlackJackII_WM6_1_Upgrade_For_Vista

The following image shows the program's opening screen.

For the ID prompt, enter 5688

For the Key prompt, enter 9231

Click on the Confirm button.

Would the same codes work for Windows 7 or others would be needed?

Any information would be helpful.

If you have the instructions to install 6.1, I believe it included the appropriate modem drivers for installation. I recommend that you would use an XP box or a virtual machine to get XP, because I personally was not able to run it on 7 or vista, despite compatibility mode enabled for XP. These codes however, are merely for access to the official 6.1 rom installer, which is not being used for this rom. The rom comes with a rom flasher program. Let me know if you have the modem drivers from the official 6.1 available, and if you don't, I'll reference it in this guide.

If you have the instructions to install 6.1, I believe it included the appropriate modem drivers for installation. I recommend that you would use an XP box or a virtual machine to get XP, because I personally was not able to run it on 7 or vista, despite compatibility mode enabled for XP. These codes however, are merely for access to the official 6.1 rom installer, which is not being used for this rom. The rom comes with a rom flasher program. Let me know if you have the modem drivers from the official 6.1 available, and if you don't, I'll reference it in this guide.

Thanks PrinceDwi, I have a laptop with XP I can use and I still have all the drivers and modems from the 6.1 upgrade so I will try it out and let you know what happens.

Edited by Gessie

PrinceDwi: :) I want to thank you for your help. I did the upgrade to 6.5 this morning and everything went great. It took less then 5 min to install the BIN file and then I re-installed all my other software which works with 6.5.

If anyone is fearful of doing it, don't be all you need is the modem drivers 4.07 and the installer (SGH_I608.exe) that comes with the SGH-i617_WM6.5_28004_1230_EN

Guest PrinceDwi
PrinceDwi: :) I want to thank you for your help. I did the upgrade to 6.5 this morning and everything went great. It took less then 5 min to install the BIN file and then I re-installed all my other software which works with 6.5.

If anyone is fearful of doing it, don't be all you need is the modem drivers 4.07 and the installer (SGH_I608.exe) that comes with the SGH-i617_WM6.5_28004_1230_EN

Glad to know everything went smoothly :) I've been running the new years WM 6.5 rom since it came out, can't be any happier. =D Also would like to add that Samsung's WizPro interface is included in this, and if anyone's interested in modifying the theme, a few posts in this thread have posted wonderful replies on how to fine tune/tweak some inconsistencies on the theme. When py8 releases a new rom and notifies me, I'll try and keep both threads updated.

Guest AdamShegrud

Ok I downloaded from the alt. link (rapidshare.) as the megaupload one was not working.

Should be the same file right?

Then I went to the link to the instructions.

Took me about 25 mins in my sleep deprived state to realize it was a link to a page with a link to the instuctions, not a link to the instructions.

Read the instructions.

Couple of things are different though.

First is the document says to put the device into download mode, by pressing the up and back keys while booting the phone.

This takes me to a Master Reset prompt

"press 1 to format?"

"press any other key to cancel"

First I tried to continue with the instructions however when running the SGH_I608_[v1.6Single].exe

I get the same buttons except the start download is grayed out, even after checking the boxes shown and selecting the [sGH-i617]WM6.5_38004_1230_EN.bin file.

I did find that after clicking the ALL RESET button it does activate the Start Download button.

However clicking it does not do anything.

So I went back to the download mode step

This time I pressed the "1" key and it reset my device to factory defaults.

Now opening the SGH_I608_[v1.6Single].exe application I am seeing the same behavior.

Also the other files in the archive are not really explained by any of the instructions.

What are the two [Tool] .exe's for, and how are they used?

Any help would be great as my device is now wiped and of course my data's backed up but Id like to get it over to WM6.5 before I go threw the bother of getting my data back on it.

Thanks alot to any and all for your advice.

Adam

Guest PrinceDwi
Ok I downloaded from the alt. link (rapidshare.) as the megaupload one was not working.

Should be the same file right?

Yep =D Both are the same file.

First is the document says to put the device into download mode, by pressing the up and back keys while booting the phone.

This takes me to a Master Reset prompt

"press 1 to format?"

"press any other key to cancel"

Actually, you were supposed to press the volume up button (the up button on the side) and the back key (the arrow one on the right) which would get you to Download mode. ^^; pressing and holding up while booting will get you to the Master/Factory reset menu.

I get the same buttons except the start download is grayed out, even after checking the boxes shown and selecting the [sGH-i617]WM6.5_38004_1230_EN.bin file.

I did find that after clicking the ALL RESET button it does activate the Start Download button.

However clicking it does not do anything.

Hopefully when you get your phone into Download mode and you plug in the phone with the program running, you should see the status box displaying information that it's ready for flashing. Make sure you check Phone Initalization[EFS Clear] and check PDA. Once that's set, the phone should then work its magic.

Also the other files in the archive are not really explained by any of the instructions.

What are the two [Tool] .exe's for, and how are they used?

[Tools]ActivesyncKiller.exe closes Activesync's autosync process so that it doesn't interrupt the link while the phone is in Download Mode.

[Tools]MD5.exe is a checksum program that ensures the file hasn't been tampered with. You run the program and you press the far left button to browse for the bin file, and check with the text file if the md5 checksum matches.

Hopefully this all helped out for you in the end!

Guest bubba1978

Ok I havn't been on in a while so I may have missed out on this but hopefully somone can help me.

I am looking for the Samsung i617 kitchen and the original WM6.1 for i617 bin...or atleast some direction as to how to dump my 6.1 rom.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Zardoz50
New ROM update! Links up, get em while they're hot everyone! ^_^

Did I miss the links somewhere? I only see the newest link as being for 1-15-2010 bin.

Thanks for the other info. I just found this today and want to try this out.

Zardoz50

Guest PrinceDwi
Did I miss the links somewhere? I only see the newest link as being for 1-15-2010 bin.

Thanks for the other info. I just found this today and want to try this out.

Zardoz50

Sorry, the January 15th rom is the newest one, and I just discovered it. Sorry to cause confusion.

Guest vb78bobby
Sorry, the January 15th rom is the newest one, and I just discovered it. Sorry to cause confusion.

Hi Prince,

I am pretty new to the win mobile devices. I have an unlocked i617 from Telstra (Australia). Since I want to get rid of the carrier weird applications....figured out after browsing the net, that I can flash the rom (If iam correct). Now as per your steps indicated

1) Removed my memory card and sim

2)Started the image downloader application

3)Press volume up button+back key+power on button

The following displayed on the Phone screen

*USB Downloader-[bADA]

[Phone]Active OFF

4)Connected to the PC using the USB cable that came along the phone

5)Loaded bin file and also checked EFS Clear box

The following was displayed on phone screen

USB Intitial : OK

Tx>USB_READY COMMAND- 3 (countdown to 1)

after which it read as

USB Intitial : OK

PC Connection : FAIL

@bottom it says

[Phone] Active OFF

[PDA] USB Cable Power OFF

During this time on the PC, in the image loader application the following message appears

[startDownload => 0] StartDownload !!

[-] Connect and Power-on the Device.

[-] Device Not Found.

and the download button is greyed out.

I don't know what is wrong. This is the first time I am using this device and doing something like this. Any help in this regard is greatly appreciated. Thank you. I shall keep you updated on the different trials I do.

Wish me all the best :-)

Guest GaurangSaini

Hi PrinceDwi,

i've finally downloaded the newest package "_SGH-i617_WM6.5__EN__28004_20100115" from megaupload.

i own a LOCKED blackjack II i617 from at&t USA. if i want to flash the new firmware, will i be able to do it successfully?

Also, will that unlock my phone too? i cannot use it for anything other than clicking pics from the camera!!

EDIT: Is there anything else, apart from the "MCCI_WHQL_Modem_Driver_4.40.7" that i have to download? The guide on XDA-developers knocked me out...i have no clue how to proceed...also, mediafire links there do not work. Can you please fix a quick step-by-step from ground up to upgrade my WinMo 6 Standard to the latest one?

please reply, as i really want to try out the new 6.5 OS after reading your views on it...

Thanks in advance,

Gaurang

Edited by GaurangSaini

Guest PrinceDwi
Hi PrinceDwi,

i've finally downloaded the newest package "_SGH-i617_WM6.5__EN__28004_20100115" from megaupload.

i own a LOCKED blackjack II i617 from at&t USA. if i want to flash the new firmware, will i be able to do it successfully?

Also, will that unlock my phone too? i cannot use it for anything other than clicking pics from the camera!!

EDIT: Is there anything else, apart from the "MCCI_WHQL_Modem_Driver_4.40.7" that i have to download? The guide on XDA-developers knocked me out...i have no clue how to proceed...also, mediafire links there do not work. Can you please fix a quick step-by-step from ground up to upgrade my WinMo 6 Standard to the latest one?

please reply, as i really want to try out the new 6.5 OS after reading your views on it...

Thanks in advance,

Gaurang

My Samsung Blackjack II SGH i617 is locked, and this rom is installed successfully. This will NOT unlock your phone, but merely give you better control of the operating system, and a fast and clean WM 6.5 for the phone. I know that some countries prevent mediafire, so you might have to set your browser to a USA proxy and download it that way. The next best way to unlock the phone is probably through an online IMEI submission service to unlock it or have a local shop (if permitting) perform an unlock for it..

Hopefully this advice will help. :D

Guest PrinceDwi
I don't know what is wrong. This is the first time I am using this device and doing something like this. Any help in this regard is greatly appreciated. Thank you. I shall keep you updated on the different trials I do.

Wish me all the best :-)

I know that you will need to have a Windows XP install to allow the USB driver to detect the phone properly. I've tried on Windows 7 x64, Windows 7 32 bit, Windows Vista, and Windows XP Mode on Win7, no avail. The only way was to boot my old computer with Windows XP and run the program there. :D Hope this helps out!

I've noticed 2 "bugs" with this running on my phone

1. the battery meter always shows 100% (not detecting the battery?)

2. I am unable to send files from my laptop over bluetooth

is anyone else experiencing these problems?

update:

I think it is just discharging much slower so I thought it just says 100 by mistake because now its at 70... but the bluetooth doesnt work still after rebooting cell and lptop and trying like 20 times

Edited by BENiii

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ThiagoMagaMoc

Good morning, I'm from Brazil, updated my SGH-I617 a month ago and noticed that two keys do not work anymore: the key messages, and special characters "silent" (?, [,], (,)) . Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Sorry if the text is spelled wrong, I wrote it using the google translator.

:(

Guest CJ74753

Can someone please help me? I can't use my internet on my phone after this upgrade. Keeps telling me to check the connections and I'm not sure what I am missing in it. I need it to connect to AT&T

EDIT: Okay just in case anyone else needs this info to get Internet back to working here is the info for ATT

GPRS info

Name: Media Net

Connects To: The Internet

Access Point: WAP.CINGULAR

User name:

Password:

Authentication Type: CHAP

Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0

Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0

Proxy info

Name: ATT WAP

Proxy: wireless.cingular.com:80