O2Compass and O2Flash

Guest Rapid81
oddly I have the verizon i920 and I uninstalled the sdk and the flash works fine for me.

The SDK's necessary DLL is in the programs installation directory. Maybe if the SDK is installed, the program can't works with the one in the installation folder.

To others who can't get the flashlight to work -> the SDK is installed on your device?

Edited by Rapid81

Guest Omnia II User

Okay, great APP...much better than the crappy stock LCD-TEST compass on the Verizon i920 O2...

Few things:

1.In order to CALIBRATE you need to move away from anything electronic/magnetic or you'll have a long and maybe never-ending wait!

2.Magnetometer- I assume is how this compass works and when you get your phone over metal you will find NORTH moves way off NORTH...

3. Satellites is the correct spelling for 'sattellites', only two T's not three!

4. Lateral Axis & Longitudinal Axis? Are these meant to be used in version 2.0 as a way to keep your phone LEVEL and NORTH due NORTH?

I would like to see actual GPS LATITUDE AND LONGITUDE

5. Add Distance Locator (GPS) select point you want to go to on a map via maybe google maps and then have a counter that tells the distance from your destination.

6. Add CLOCK...simple time in digital like 2:45PM and it could have ability to be either on or off... (If someone knows a way for the i920 to have a clock on top of the phone at ALL TIMES let me know, I hate watches and I prefer to not have to stop what I'm doing to change screens and see the time)

7. Flashlight worked for me the first time but calibration didn't complete, I reinstalled the app and now it doesn't work? I then removed it from my MENU page and then placed it back on the menu page and saved it and it works again?!!!

8. Map Orientation (see video below)

9. Magnetometer? I know this is hardware on the newest I-phone the Android G1 and some other phones, is this hardware on the O2? I can't find anything stating it is but I assume it is? Also if it is then maybe a new idea for you would be a 'METAL DETECTOR APP'....lol

here are some other phone compass videos

HTC HD2 Compass/GPS-Destination

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5GnZ7hpMuE I-phone Map Orientation

G1 Metal Detector...video is just detecting metal over and over so you need not watch the whole 2 minutes

10. IS THE COMPASS SUPPOSED TO CALIBRATE BEFORE EVERY USE? MY PHONE SCREEN WON'T COME UP 4 TIMES TODAY SINCE INSTALLING THE COMPASS APP ON 'MY STORAGE'?

Edited by Omnia II User

Guest Rapid81
Few things:

2.Magnetometer- I assume is how this compass works and when you get your phone over metal you will find NORTH moves way off NORTH...

4. Lateral Axis & Longitudinal Axis? Are these meant to be used in version 2.0 as a way to keep your phone LEVEL and NORTH due NORTH?

I would like to see actual GPS LATITUDE AND LONGITUDE

5. Add Distance Locator (GPS) select point you want to go to on a map via maybe google maps and then have a counter that tells the distance from your destination.

6. Add CLOCK...simple time in digital like 2:45PM and it could have ability to be either on or off... (If someone knows a way for the i920 to have a clock on top of the phone at ALL TIMES let me know, I hate watches and I prefer to not have to stop what I'm doing to change screens and see the time)

8. Map Orientation (see video below)

10. IS THE COMPASS SUPPOSED TO CALIBRATE BEFORE EVERY USE? MY PHONE SCREEN WON'T COME UP 4 TIMES TODAY SINCE INSTALLING THE COMPASS APP ON 'MY STORAGE'?

2. the phone has a digital compass hadware not magnetometer

4. lateral axis and longitudinal axis the phone's level writeouts (will be improved to graphical appearance in the future), will have gps coordinates writeout in the next version (and speed, altitude, satellites, gps position's perfection...)

5. you will can add a waypoint by coordinates in the next version and will write out the distance to it and show the bearing to it too. I don't want to use the Internet in a simple app like this (maybe later)

6. WinMo Settings -System - Clock & Alarms - More (3rd tab) or Clock -> World clock (3rd tab) and from there press Menu -> Settings

8. the Google Maps does not support the Samsung's SDK yet

10. the compass needs to be calibrated once after a soft reset. the magnetic sensor stays that state until a new soft reset

Some things the Visual Basic and Compact Framework does not capable of or capable in a high CPU usage way (can't rotate picture, does not have labels and images with tranparent backgrounds, etc.), but I'm working on a solution to every problems. No, I will not use C++ or C#, I hate C. Maybe in the future the program will use DirectX, but I'm not sure, because the DirectX also use too much CPU and this apps needs to be a simple, easy to use and fast program. I'm working with what I have right now (3. I'm hungarian and the english is not my natural language, so maybe I'm make mistakes...). :)

BTW: I managed to implement the Vincenty's formulae in the app, so the DTW calculating will be (almost) perfect. I was implemented the Haversine formulae too, and maybe you will choose to what do you want to use. The Vincenty's formulae more accurate, but the Haversine formulae much faster (CPU usage... B) ).

Edited by Rapid81

Guest Rapid81
so when new version will be released bro? :)

I don't know yet. I want it to be good looking, but like I mentioned, the Compact framework does not support tranparency at all. I found this, but it costs too much for me. B) I don't want to release the app with the standard (ugly) buttons and black background. I'm searching for a solution, but it takes time, if I can find any.

Edited by Rapid81

Guest jpenman
The SDK's necessary DLL is in the programs installation directory. Maybe if the SDK is installed, the program can't works with the one in the installation folder.

To others who can't get the flashlight to work -> the SDK is installed on your device?

that did it....i deleted the SDK and the flashlight worked fine, but i needed the SDK to work the orientation program so i downloaded the SDK 2.1 and the flashlight still works :) thanks!

Guest Rapid81
9. Magnetometer? I know this is hardware on the newest I-phone the Android G1 and some other phones, is this hardware on the O2? I can't find anything stating it is but I assume it is? Also if it is then maybe a new idea for you would be a 'METAL DETECTOR APP'....lol

I was done a little research and you're right. :) We have a little metal detector in our phone. But the sensitivity is not so good. I was detected a full metal wrench from about 10-15cm in the open air, not through something. And you can detect magnets from about 30-40cm. ;) I'll start to test it a little, but I don't know how much worthy. Can we use it for something? B)

update:

I was tested it and it's usable but only when you're hold your phone in one direction, and not rotate it during the detection period, because the heading angle change thanks to the interference. I'm not sure that I'll implement it to the app. I'm not seeing any sense of it. Oh, almost forgot. After a detection, you'll need to recalibrate your phone. B)

Update 2:

I was implemented it. ;) Picture below...

post-624700-1263216419_thumb.png

Edited by Rapid81

Guest Omnia II User
I was done a little research and you're right. B) We have a little metal detector in our phone. But the sensitivity is not so good. I was detected a full metal wrench from about 10-15cm in the open air, not through something. And you can detect magnets from about 30-40cm. B) I'll start to test it a little, but I don't know how much worthy. Can we use it for something? ;)

update:

I was tested it and it's usable but only when you're hold your phone in one direction, and not rotate it during the detection period, because the heading angle change thanks to the interference. I'm not sure that I'll implement it to the app. I'm not seeing any sense of it. Oh, almost forgot. After a detection, you'll need to recalibrate your phone. :o

Update 2:

I was implemented it. ;) Picture below...

Yeah I thought so!

I've done some research to and most of these cell phone detectors are very usefull unless your phone is right on the metal object...

Also I've found that the calibration process likely is causing my battery to move enough to unconnect itself and cause a 'power failure' on my phone meaning that it's not able to power up from sleep because it came lose from the battery? I've read people use shims to keep it a nice tight fit.

The Compass APP is asking for calibration everytime I use it or at least after the 'lock screen' is activated in-between uses...

I don't think the I-phone has to be calibrated? I may be wrong..I'll ask my buddy who has an I-phone if his does?

BTW I think the plain black compass like HTC HD2 is sexy.... :) I guess to each their own!!!

Guest lantony

This is a really cool app, but on my Omnia 2 it's very jerky/slow. Is it for the bad opengles drivers that i8000 comes out? I used to have an HTC HD2 and everything was fluid and fast :)

Guest stakimodels

Great application, installed it and calibrated for about 15-20 secs with the latest Secany's ROM. thanks to everybody. any other iphone-like apps anywhere for O2?

Guest Rapid81
This is a really cool app, but on my Omnia 2 it's very jerky/slow. Is it for the bad opengles drivers that i8000 comes out? I used to have an HTC HD2 and everything was fluid and fast :)

The program doesn't use OpenGL at all. Maybe your storage card reading speed is slow, if you installed it to the storage card.

Development update:

The GPS works fine, and the waypoint too. The spirit level is done and the metal detector either.

I'm working on a cool Options page, but it's very hard with the ordinary VB components. :) They so ugly. :)

Oh, Almost forgot. The flashlight's command line parameter is working fine. :)

Guest lantony
The program doesn't use OpenGL at all. Maybe your storage card reading speed is slow, if you installed it to the storage card.

Oh maybe that's why, if it's software rendered and it's not using the 3d hardware acceleration maybe it's normal that it's slow like this. Anyway no it's installed in my storage (the internal 2gb memory), it loads very fast i am using the latest ROM but the animation is still not as fluid as the one on HTD HD2 or Iphone. It's laggy almost like this

that is very different from the one on HD2

Just want to know if it's only a problem on my Omnia or is it the same on all ?

Edited by lantony

Oh maybe that's why, if it's software rendered and it's not using the 3d hardware acceleration maybe it's normal that it's slow like this. Anyway no it's installed in my storage (the internal 2gb memory), it loads very fast i am using the latest ROM but the animation is still not as fluid as the one on HTD HD2 or Iphone. It's laggy almost like this

Well, My Storage is probably the slowest storage on your device. Maybe try moving it just to see if it makes a difference. And yes, the HD2 will render pretty much everything faster than the omnia 2 due to the hardware difference.

346c582a-d46f-433a-ba42-6a0bf874f9e.jpg

Edited by Snow02

Guest lantony
Well, My Storage is probably the slowest storage on your device. Maybe try moving it just to see if it makes a difference. And yes, the HD2 will render pretty much everything faster than the omnia 2 due to the hardware difference.

346c582a-d46f-433a-ba42-6a0bf874f9e.jpg

storage card should be much slower than my storage so that it's the slowest, moreover i think that this has nothing to do with the speed....maybe it could change the loading time but not the rendering speed. I already said that the loading time is very fast so it must be a problem in the rendering performance. The HD2 has much better drivers than Omnia2 (and also better hardware of course), i think that is the issue.

As you can see below the Omnia2 hardware shouldn't be a problem for all the most recent 3d apps on the market, the 90% of the Omnia2 performance issues is for bad/unoptimized drivers:

PowerVR MBX-Lite (iPhone 3G): 1 M triangles/s, 100 M pixels/s

Samsung S3C6410 (Omnia II): 4 M triangles/s, 125.6 M pixels/s

PowerVR SGX 520 (Palm Pre): 14 M triangles/s, ___ M pixels/s

Qualcomm QSD8250 (Toshiba TG01/HTC HD2): 22 M triangles/s, 133 M pixels/s

PowerVR SGX 535 (iPhone 3GS): 28 M triangles/s, 400 M pixels/s

Edited by lantony

Guest Rapid81

No, no... You're not understand what I'm talking about. Right now, the program is using images, not render the compass' image. In Compact Framework it's no possibility to rotate an image, then i'm using pre-rotated images to rotate the compass. I'm not familiar in DirectX programming yet. I will create a version later with DirectX (or GDI+, I don't know the name in WinMo), when I'm able to create it.

I watched the movie about Ompass, and it's definitely slower than O2Compass. So, if you experience slow rotating like on that video, then the problem is with your phone. I'm watching a lot of the O2Compass' compass rotating (need to test the new features and changes every time :) ) and definitely way much faster than the Ompass on the video.

Tomorrow I will create and upload a video for you, to see it. And maybe I will expose the new features, to see what you're waiting for. :)

Edited by Rapid81

No, no... You're not understand what I'm talking about. Right now, the program is using images, not render the compass' image. In Compact Framework it's no possibility to rotate an image, then i'm using pre-rotated images to rotate the compass.

Right, so file access speed is a possible culprit. Just try installing to your device memory to see if it makes a difference. You might as well rule out the easy stuff first.

Guest lantony
No, no... You're not understand what I'm talking about. Right now, the program is using images, not render the compass' image. In Compact Framework it's no possibility to rotate an image, then i'm using pre-rotated images to rotate the compass. I'm not familiar in DirectX programming yet. I will create a version later with DirectX (or GDI+, I don't know the name in WinMo), when I'm able to create it.

I watched the movie about Ompass, and it's definitely slower than O2Compass. So, if you experience slow rotating like on that video, then the problem is with your phone. I'm watching a lot of the O2Compass' compass rotating (need to test the new features and changes every time :) ) and definitely way much faster than the Ompass on the video.

Tomorrow I will create and upload a video for you, to see it. And maybe I will expose the new features, to see what you're waiting for. :)

On my Omnia2 is a bit faster than the one in that video but it's still uncomparable to the HD2 video, maybe because like you said the program is made of prerotated images. Thanks for your explanation anyway , now it's more clear :) Looking forward to see the new features, this looks like an amazing software that even Samsung wasn't able to create and include in their best win phone at the moment :)

Edited by lantony

Guest Rapid81

Here's the review what I was mentioned. This is not all of the features. Some are missing from the video, and some are waiting for more developing. :)

I'm started to studying Direct3D on WinMo. It's a little bit complicated, but not too much. If I achieve any progress in it, I'll let you know. :)

Edited by Rapid81