Looking forward to Nexus One

Guest Nick G

Guest Rocky7
There has been various reports today that nexus one will be packed with spotify. google is apparently subsedizing part of the cost for spotify so that it can be ran in US with ad. However it seems only apply to US and European users need to have the premium services to use it. Sounds like a rip off for us based in Europe.....

I thought the RIAA were keeping Spotify out of the US.

Guest cezent

Another quote, this time from Telegraph:

"Google will unveil the handset at its Silicon Valley headquarters in America tomorrow, and the device is set to go on sale there from January 12. A UK launch date has not yet been announced, but it is likely to follow early this year..."

Guess we ll find out what the real deal is in (less than) 24hr time :) excited...

Guest Amdathlonuk
Where is my Nexus One ? I ordered it last night in my sleep and I received it in my email ... if only !

These next two months are going to be expensive. I don't want to buy another 3 phones but I know I will ...

I'm off to California at the end of Jan for work.

I'll be there for a week and should have plenty of room in my suitcase... :)

Guest Rocky7
I'm off to California at the end of Jan for work.

I'll be there for a week and should have plenty of room in my suitcase... :)

Have an ACER Liquid (best android phone on the market so far), a magic (cyanogen), a hero and a milestone.

I expect to have an X10, Nexus and the next latest greatest HTC device too ... sigh ....

My name is Rocky7 and I am an android phone addict, its been about 4 weeks since my last phone purchase but I feel its about ot go to hell in a handbasket.

Guest crystalgeyser
Have an ACER Liquid (best android phone on the market so far), a magic (cyanogen), a hero and a milestone.

I expect to have an X10, Nexus and the next latest greatest HTC device too ... sigh ....

My name is Rocky7 and I am an android phone addict, its been about 4 weeks since my last phone purchase but I feel its about ot go to hell in a handbasket.

I think this addiction is contagious and getting worse... I have a Nokia N95-1 (purchased 3 years ago), a HTC Hero (purchased 5 months ago), and am thinking about getting a Nexus (in about a few weeks). All phones still functioning, but lacking serious CPU power. N95 (332 MHz), Hero (528 MHz). Hopefully with Nexus' 1GHz, it'll end my craving for CPU power.

Guest crystalgeyser
The Device will be shippable from the US, so you just have to order it from the site here on the 5th.

It simply won't be a "european" version, i.e. with european/uk mains adapters and so on.

The only real issue of it not being a european version would be the radio frequencies (no 3G for non-US users). As for the power adapters, most of the HTC phones that I've seen in stores in Southern California only have Chinese or European power adapters (including my Hero).

A way to avoid expensive custom fees would be to have someone mail the phone and label it as a "gift".

After reading Engadget's review, I think I may hold back on the Nexus purchase.

(512 ram & rom). It'll be painfully hard to deal with storage issues. It may be fast, but it can't have too many applications installed (which sucks considering you can upgrade the memory card to 32GB). Yes, once rooted, you can partition the memory card, but still...

Until a phone has 1GB with 1MHz or more, it'll take some major tweaking/rooting just to get it working as smooth as possible. Too bad there isn't a phone out there where it allows you to physically upgrade the Ram, Rom, and CPU. :)

Edited by crystalgeyser

The only real issue of it not being a european version would be the radio frequencies (no 3G for non-US users). As for the power adapters, most of the HTC phones that I've seen in stores in Southern California only have Chinese or European power adapters (including my Hero).

A way to avoid expensive custom fees would be to have someone mail the phone and label it as a "gift".

Atleast here, that's not a good idea, i don't know if they have like a list of predefined senders to check, but i've tried twice and both times they were caught, the first time they apparently already had the value of the item, so i was just charged that + a fee for handling the import fees, the second time they wanted to know what i had paid for it, so i had to show them the printed receipt, and i was again taxed + fee. Here a gift may not cost more than ~$60 before it's subject to import duties, and i got caught both times, so it looks like they either know where to look, or they simply go through everything.

The problem i'm facing right now is whether or not it has any import duties, because apparently mobile phones have no import duties here, but they do have import duties on PDA's with GPS, so the real question is whether my mobile phone is a PDA, or a mobile phone, because they specifically mention GPS on the PDA, but not on the mobile phone, luckily the fee is only 3,7% but still :)

Guest crystalgeyser

Man, that sucks. Also, that's odd that you'd be charged extra if PDA has GPS.

With the recent botched terrorist bomb plot in the US, it'll be almost impossible to freely export more than 1 phone out of the country (tougher airport security and tougher screening).

Guest roy_drage
Complete Review By Josh from EnGadget

Yeah saw this review, to be honest I don't like the design of the nexus one and spec wise it's hardly a million miles away from my milestone. Prefer the milestone.

Yeah saw this review, to be honest I don't like the design of the nexus one and spec wise it's hardly a million miles away from my milestone. Prefer the milestone.

this is interesting, except for a slightly higher screen resolution, which hardware spec does milestone avail....

In milestone I could only see a slower processor, smaller on-board storage, lower WIFI standard(no 11n). Ah, multitouch? I believe this is just a software thing for N1

Guest joners
this is interesting, except for a slightly higher screen resolution, which hardware spec does milestone avail....

In milestone I could only see a slower processor, smaller on-board storage, lower WIFI standard(no 11n). Ah, multitouch? I believe this is just a software thing for N1

Multitouch is being worked on, cyanogen got his n1 last night and started to play, according to his twitter feed and all.

Guest joners
Crystalgeyser... since I rooted it already, implementing A2SD will be straightforward!

P

I see that ext tools arent on Amon RA's recovery image. From what he posted in XDA forums he didnt think that he would put them in as A2SD wasn't initially needed as there was plenty of on board storage.

Interesting Google has said that they will eventually support applications on the SD card once they get the encryption sorted.