How to unlock the bootloader on your Nexus One

Guest PaulOBrien

nexusoneunlock.png

So we rooted the Nexus One. Before it was out. Without a device. Neat, but many knowledgeable commentators in the Android community noted that the root was only possible due to the engineering bootloader shipped on the devices distributed by Google, and that retail devices would likely have locked bootloaders. We told them not to worry... and here's why.

Retail devices DO have locked bootloaders.

But you can unlock them.

You see, in the bootloader of the Nexus One there is a secret command. A command that, when issued via fastboot, gives you the warning you see here, after which you can merrily unlock your bootloader and flash anything you want onto your device (including our superboot rooting image).

Nice eh?

It's easy too! Google WANTS you to be able to do whatever you please on your Nexus One, but they also want you to be aware of the consequences.

To unlock your Nexus One's bootloader simply...

- Install the Android SDK
- Power on the device whilst holding the trackball to enter bootloader mode and connect your phone to the computer
- Download and extract fastboot from here (Windows, Linux and Mac included)
- Windows: from the sdk tools folder, copy "adb.exe", "AdbWinApi.dll" and "ddms.bat" to the fastboot folder
- Run a command prompt / terminal at the fastboot directory you just extracted
- Type 'fastboot-windows oem unlock' or './fastboot-mac oem unlock' or './fastboot-linux oem unlock' (as appropriate)
- Proceed on your merry bootloader unlocked way (note: you device will be wiped)

Enjoy! :) Big nod to packetlss for the heads up!

P

Guest igotnexusone

Hi Paul et al,

Managed to get into bootloader mode and have flashed the bootloader ( several times now ).

Having a problem when device reboots where I can no longer get to the application drawer.

Have tried resetting completely. Cleared all user data etc.

Would like to try putting the stock bootloader img back.

Do you know where I can get a copy?

Any other ideas appreciated.

Guest igotnexusone

Thanks for the images Paul - saved me tons of trouble

ended up flashing the system image and wiping clean and all was well

dang thing had gotten into a very weird state where my application drawer wouldn't open and wifi radio wouldn't turn on either

Neither of my machines have been able to preform this. I get the "Waiting for device" message, but it hangs here.

I've tried running this from Windows, and Linux, and both do the same thing.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Guest Kermee
Neither of my machines have been able to preform this. I get the "Waiting for device" message, but it hangs here.

I've tried running this from Windows, and Linux, and both do the same thing.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

You're probably missing the proper USB drivers. If you have the Android SDK, make sure you update it; they just released the USB drivers for the Nexus One in the last USB package.

If you don't have the Android SDK, there's a ZIP file floating around that has the USB drivers you need to support the Nexus One.

Cheers,

Kermee

Guest joners
so, besides what has been explained up there about the BootLoader...Does it also UNLOCK the phone...to use on other GSM carriers?

Nope this is something else.

Nexus one can be bought sim free unlocked.

You're probably missing the proper USB drivers. If you have the Android SDK, make sure you update it; they just released the USB drivers for the Nexus One in the last USB package.

If you don't have the Android SDK, there's a ZIP file floating around that has the USB drivers you need to support the Nexus One.

Cheers,

Kermee

I am also having the same issues and I'm using the latest USB drivers that's floating around. Fastboot just hangs in the < waiting for device > message.

I have the following files in my fastboot folder;

adb.exe

AdbWinApi.dll

ddms.bat

fastboot-windows.exe

Am I missing something?

I also tried it on a Mac which gives me the same result.

Thanks in advance!

- JOhn

I am also having the same issues and I'm using the latest USB drivers that's floating around. Fastboot just hangs in the < waiting for device > message.

I have the following files in my fastboot folder;

adb.exe

AdbWinApi.dll

ddms.bat

fastboot-windows.exe

Am I missing something?

I also tried it on a Mac which gives me the same result.

Thanks in advance!

- JOhn

I just figured it out. :)

complete noob here. When I try to execute Fastboot...I get a "The program can't start because AdbWinApi.dll is missing from you computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"

Hi guys,

finally got my Nexus One here in Germany... Maybe I'm the first one xD :)...

but i tried to unlock via fastboot and its just waiting for device

fastboot devices doesn't show anything either...

works fine with ddms and adb...

any suggestions ?

meld0

from other forums, they said unlock the bootloader will wipe/reset the nexus one.

I would like to know what exactly does wipe/reset mean..

is it similar to hard reset or is it delete original rom as well ?

Edited by XZQ't

Guest packetlss
from other forums, they said unlock the bootloader will wipe/reset the nexus one.

I would like to know what exactly does wipe/reset mean..

is it similar to hard reset or is it delete original rom as well ?

It just wipes your settings, ROM is still there.