GPS not working after Secany 6.5 update

Guest jakekooser

Guest jakekooser

Hi. I managed to update my Omnia II i8000 to the latest winmo with the files from Secany. This is my first time flashing this phone, which is an unlocked model I bought in Singapore last year. I have been going through everything to make sure it works, and I have discovered that the GPS seems to be dead now. I first noticed it by google maps not ever showing any satellites, and I have downloaded gpstest (from Chartcross) and BeeLineGPS (from visualGPS) to see if there is anything responding, and it doesn't seem like it. The GPS settings are GPS program port: COM7, GPS hardware port: COM9, baud rate: 9600, and 'manage GPS automatically'.

Gpstest starts up normally and shows 'gps starting up' with a 1D fix but it shows no satellite activity.

BeeLineGPS doesn't ever show any satellite activity, and in the settings I see a reference to "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\G" so I looked in the registry with Total Commander and found HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intemediate Driver and looked at all the settings in there, but without really knowing what they all did, I couldn't see anything obvious to check or change.

The GPS worked before I flashed it to the latest versions - PDA: I8000NXXIL5, CSC: I8000AMNIL5, PHONE: I8000XXIL2 and I am hoping it's something I just missed in my configuration.

Can anyone offer advice on where to start troubleshooting this, other than what I have already done?

Thanks,

Jake

Hi. I managed to update my Omnia II i8000 to the latest winmo with the files from Secany. This is my first time flashing this phone, which is an unlocked model I bought in Singapore last year. I have been going through everything to make sure it works, and I have discovered that the GPS seems to be dead now. I first noticed it by google maps not ever showing any satellites, and I have downloaded gpstest (from Chartcross) and BeeLineGPS (from visualGPS) to see if there is anything responding, and it doesn't seem like it. The GPS settings are GPS program port: COM7, GPS hardware port: COM9, baud rate: 9600, and 'manage GPS automatically'.

Gpstest starts up normally and shows 'gps starting up' with a 1D fix but it shows no satellite activity.

BeeLineGPS doesn't ever show any satellite activity, and in the settings I see a reference to "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\G" so I looked in the registry with Total Commander and found HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intemediate Driver and looked at all the settings in there, but without really knowing what they all did, I couldn't see anything obvious to check or change.

The GPS worked before I flashed it to the latest versions - PDA: I8000NXXIL5, CSC: I8000AMNIL5, PHONE: I8000XXIL2 and I am hoping it's something I just missed in my configuration.

Can anyone offer advice on where to start troubleshooting this, other than what I have already done?

Thanks,

Jake

I'm sorry that I can't help, but I can tell you that I encounter the same problem. After flashing my GPS is dead.

I'm also looking for solution, but till now I haven't found one.

Maybe we should update and flash again.

Regards,

Ronny

Mine too ILC -> IL5 only PDA and CSC,

Try this,

go to windows and find gpssetting.exe run it, in XTRA allow XTRA, enable SNMP server and choose download XTRA data then you got under download button you got download time and how long will be data up to date. This will speedup satelites lookup. Mine got satelites in 30-60sec when is full sky visible and device is in vertical position. In that time I got 4-5 satelites. This I got in google maps setting sam as you com 7 HW com9 9600baud , and googlemaps set to manage by system

Guest jakekooser
Mine too ILC -> IL5 only PDA and CSC,

Try this,

go to windows and find gpssetting.exe run it, in XTRA allow XTRA, enable SNMP server and choose download XTRA data then you got under download button you got download time and how long will be data up to date. This will speedup satelites lookup. Mine got satelites in 30-60sec when is full sky visible and device is in vertical position. In that time I got 4-5 satelites. This I got in google maps setting sam as you com 7 HW com9 9600baud , and googlemaps set to manage by system

Did your GPS work after doing that, Jane? I have already gone through those steps and additionally downloaded an XTRA.bin file and put it in the root directory in an attempt to get it working. I also tried changing the default from COM 7 to COM 4 because that worked for someone else in a post I read.

I'll try these settings again and let you know the results.

Jake

Guest Imad MWK

Same problem here

after A1, GPS act strangely

google maps says not connected to any satellite and some time it point to my position normally... however sometimes not

i already downloaded EXTRA data and no use , same problem

any solution is welcomed

Guest jakekooser

Actually, I had read the other day that someone else had problems with their GPS and a couple of hard resets fixed it. I had an issue with my phone earlier this week and had to restore a backup, that didn't work, so I had to hard reset the phone. Yesterday, on a whim, I decided to see if anything had changed and now my GPS is working. I verified it again this morning, although the gpstest program doesn't really seem to see it.

moral of the story, try a hard reset or two...

Same problem. Got gps working wiht JA1 and after a pair of days the gps stopped working. Igo even couldn't dettect it. Hard reset and after that works great! Not a great solution but at least it works.

• 1 month later...
Guest evilhell

i'm using Garmin. working fine with Secany latest rom. Try to flash all part of the rom. my gps able to lock satelite within 30 sec on cold start, and bout 10 sec on warm start. i never download any EXTRA data or bla bla. and signal always on full bar and never dropped too.

Edited by evilhell

Guest asus535

So you must be living near a beach, there are no tall buildings around. And you open the GPS at the roof of your hone.

My i8000 never got good fixes in my house. I must be at least near the window.

But devices have low power consuming Mediatek MT3318 chips such as Holux M-1200 Link gots fix everywhere.

I saw, but didn't uset MTK2 based a-gps supported devices: Link to: Qstarz BT-Q818X

We even don't know the brand name of the gps chips Samsung used. We know HTC uses Qualcomm chips.

I'm angry to Samsung for using low quality to make rich telephone companies.

i'm using Garmin. working fine with Secany latest rom. Try to flash all part of the rom. my gps able to lock satelite within 30 sec on cold start, and bout 10 sec on warm start. i never download any EXTRA data or bla bla. and signal always on full bar and never dropped too.
Edited by asus535

• 1 month later...
Guest jh787

Have you tried typing in *#1472365# into their Omnia2?

It brings up some extra gps settings, some of which are similar to settings that can be reached in registry but some are unique.

The main one that was of interest to me was the start up mode of GPS.

Mine was set to cold start which meant that every time i started my tomtom it did so by deleting all previous data.

This meant i was on a cold start each and every time i used it which was why it took forever to lock sometimes.

I have now changed this setting to "hotstart" and my locks are instant.

There are various other settings that can be played with and tried out but this setting alone got rid of the only flaw i could find in the Omnia2.

Guest Odysseas07
Have you tried typing in *#1472365# into their Omnia2?

It brings up some extra gps settings, some of which are similar to settings that can be reached in registry but some are unique.

The main one that was of interest to me was the start up mode of GPS.

Mine was set to cold start which meant that every time i started my tomtom it did so by deleting all previous data.

This meant i was on a cold start each and every time i used it which was why it took forever to lock sometimes.

I have now changed this setting to "hotstart" and my locks are instant.

There are various other settings that can be played with and tried out but this setting alone got rid of the only flaw i could find in the Omnia2.

MAN STOP POST THIS ON EVERY THREAT PLEASE STOP

Guest jh787
MAN STOP POST THIS ON EVERY THREAT PLEASE STOP

I think you need to calm down a touch.

I only posted this on threads i got help from when trying to sort this tomtom problem out, and figured that i would reach more people with the same problem this way.

It only takes a few seconds to read it why you getting so worked up??

Guest thegunners

upgrad to EURO JC1 and theres is no XTRA parameter in GPS Setting only Assist GPS ? what A-GPS server i need to put in this setting ?

Guest jh787
Man look

If you want to tell your find you can simply write it on NEW THREAT no on every threat .........

OK relax i have started linking other threads to one thread.

Are you happynow?

• 2 months later...
Guest chteh0721
I think you need to calm down a touch.

I only posted this on threads i got help from when trying to sort this tomtom problem out, and figured that i would reach more people with the same problem this way.

It only takes a few seconds to read it why you getting so worked up??

it solved my garmin problems, thanks a lot