Really Struggling to Root :(

Guest mat.

Guest shenshang
Would this help the OP, shen?

Put the ROM.zip which is found in the temp folder when running the old RUU on your PC into the SD Card root directory, called HEROIMG.zip

Put in the (apparently non-working goldcard). Boot into fastboot mode. Press volume down.

Wait and watch...

not sure if that might help.

I have no idea. Thing is, I've been wondering when and how the RUU is validated, because if it is validated early and the ROM.zip isnt not checked.....then you can actually replace the ROM.zip with a custom firmware.... =\

Hmmmm thats annoying, just to confirm im doing this correctly:

1. Create the goldcard.

2. Put the goldcard back into the phone.

3. Turn phone off and on again.

4. Plug it into computer.

5. Run the RUU.exe

Do i need a certain type of RUU because im on T-Mobile or anything like that?

Hmmmm thats annoying, just to confirm im doing this correctly:

1. Create the goldcard.

2. Put the goldcard back into the phone.

3. Turn phone off and on again.

4. Plug it into computer.

5. Run the RUU.exe

Do i need a certain type of RUU because im on T-Mobile or anything like that?

That should be how you do it.

Do you fancy trying this? :

1) Take your RUU file and run it (phone not plugged in at this time)

2) When it loads, browse to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Temp (Appdata is a hidden folder. You might need to type it into the address bar to get there.

3) Now search for ROM.ZIP, or look for the most recently modified folder.

4) Copy the file to the desktop. Close the RUU. Rename the file to 'HEROIMG.ZIP'

5) Put the HEROIMG.ZIP file straight onto the 'root directory' of the SD Card.

6) Reboot the phone into fastboot (turn off, hold back + power).

7) Press volume down when it's loaded

8) Cross your fingers and hope this helps...

Could you confirm which RUU file you are using, just to check. (its full filename will tell us what we need to know)

@mat. AFAIK, the G2s in stock now have the 'perfected' firmware. I know a guy who got one 2 weeks after me, and his was the new version. I have since seen several other reports of the newer version.

That happened to me too. Got my G2 very recently and it came wih the new T-Mobile firmware that doesn't seem to cooperate with flashrec. Trying to backup/replace the recovery image failed every time.

That should be how you do it.

Do you fancy trying this? :

1) Take your RUU file and run it (phone not plugged in at this time)

2) When it loads, browse to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Temp (Appdata is a hidden folder. You might need to type it into the address bar to get there.

3) Now search for ROM.ZIP, or look for the most recently modified folder.

4) Copy the file to the desktop. Close the RUU. Rename the file to 'HEROIMG.ZIP'

5) Put the HEROIMG.ZIP file straight onto the 'root directory' of the SD Card.

6) Reboot the phone into fastboot (turn off, hold back + power).

7) Press volume down when it's loaded

8) Cross your fingers and hope this helps...

Could you confirm which RUU file you are using, just to check. (its full filename will tell us what we need to know)

Will try that now mate.

I've tried the following RUU's:

RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_1.76.405.1_R3_WWE_release_signed_ NoDriver.exe

RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_1.76.405.6_WWE_release_signed_NoD river.exe

RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoD river.exe

RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.38_WWE_release_signed_No Driver.exe

RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.61_WWE_test_signed_NoDri ver.exe

RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.66_WWE_test_signed_NoDri ver.exe

Guest shenshang
Will try that now mate.

i just installed the latest tmobile ROM to my phone and the root hero in 1 click worked =\

Will try that now mate.

Wow. You've tried a lot. I would try the suggestion I made with one of the first 2 ROMs initially.

All the best.

Wow. You've tried a lot. I would try the suggestion I made with one of the first 2 ROMs initially.

All the best.

Just trying what you said now mate, will report back in a few mins.

Edit - It's worked I think mate :)! It installed the heroimg.zip and rebooted, now it shows the phone as a htc hero! What do i do now? Root the phone then i can install Modaco 3.2??!!

Edited by mat.

Edit - It's worked I think mate :) ! It installed the heroimg.zip and rebooted, now it shows the phone as a htc hero! What do i do now? Root the phone then i can install Modaco 3.2??!!

Now what you do is you check what version you installed. Can you post that back for me please.

Under Settings | About | and give me a couple of numbers.

Also, could you boot into fastboot after that and tell me the fastboot version number (at the top of the screen. Either .004 or .007 as far as I know) Just hold back+power and let go of the buttons. Then choose the option for reset (can't remember the button though). That will just restart your phone and put you into normal mode.

Or, if you like, try this command while in fastboot (run from PC)

Download latest amon_ra recovery image first, and put into a folder you know of.

fastboot boot c:\path\to\recovery\recovery.img

See if it fastboots. If so, you're in business, and can flash update.zip files from in there!

Well done anyway :)

This is what I had before:

Model: T Mobile G2 Touch

Firmware: 1.5

Baseband Version: 53.18.55.06FU_6.35.07.08

Kernel Version: 2.6.27-0078c992

Build Number: 2.73.110.26

Software Version: 1.0.0.A6288

Now it shows:

Model: HTC Hero

Baseband Version: 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18

Kernel Version: 2.6.27-8dd6deee

Build Number: 2.73.405.5

This is what I had before:

Model: T Mobile G2 Touch

Baseband Version: 53.18.55.06FU_6.35.07.08

Kernel Version: 2.6.27-0078c992

Build Number: 2.73.110.26

Now it shows:

Model: HTC Hero

Baseband Version: 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18

Kernel Version: 2.6.27-8dd6deee

Build Number: 2.73.405.5

OK. Try running FlashRec as we mentioned before. hopefully it works this time...

OK. Try running FlashRec as we mentioned before. hopefully it works this time...

I FlashRec'd the recovery image and just installed Modaco 3.1 :). Well happy, finally persistance paid off! Thanks alot for your help Pulser and everyone else!

Oh and with the method it worked with, if your interested the first time I tried it, I goldcarded the SD card, put the update.zip on it then put the SD card back in the phone, turned it off and tried to install the update.zip. However this way it failed and said the CID didn't match(or something along those lines). So I decided to try again - goldcarded the SD card, put the update.zip on it, but then instead of putting the SD card in the phone then turning it off, i turned the phone off first then put the SD card in and ran the update.zip which worked. So in theory does that mean when the SD card was put back in the phone whilst it was on it was messing with it, which is why it wouldn't work originally?

If FlashRec doesn't work, then use the adb shell to do it.

You need to make sure you have installed su or the adb flash_image will fail as you can't run as root.

Make sure you have USB debugging on (menu->settings->applications->development->USB debugging) and you have the Amon Ra recovery image on the sdcard.

Connect your cable and confirm you can see the phone with adb devices

If you see your phone listed, proceed:

c:> adb shell

$ su

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/nameofrecoveryimage.img

# reboot recovery

Your phone should reboot into recovery mode, you will see the Amon Ra recovery screen.

Edited by Guest

Guest Vido.Ardes

I had alot of trouble getting my G2 rooted, but the goldcard methood worked fine for me. I even hex edited it while it was mounted in the phone as I didn't had an SD card reader, so that probaly isn't the reason it didn't work for you. I found the 1.7x releases wouldn't flash even with gold card, but the WWE 2 releases did fine.

Guest shenshang
I FlashRec'd the recovery image and just installed Modaco 3.1 :). Well happy, finally persistance paid off! Thanks alot for your help Pulser and everyone else!

Oh and with the method it worked with, if your interested the first time I tried it, I goldcarded the SD card, put the update.zip on it then put the SD card back in the phone, turned it off and tried to install the update.zip. However this way it failed and said the CID didn't match(or something along those lines). So I decided to try again - goldcarded the SD card, put the update.zip on it, but then instead of putting the SD card in the phone then turning it off, i turned the phone off first then put the SD card in and ran the update.zip which worked. So in theory does that mean when the SD card was put back in the phone whilst it was on it was messing with it, which is why it wouldn't work originally?

pulser and everyone else....my name wasnt included :) meh anyway, yeah, reboots are important when doing stuff like this :)

pulser and everyone else....my name wasnt included :) meh anyway, yeah, reboots are important when doing stuff like this :)

An idea for you, Shen.

If you still have that 'spare' Hero, you could try to do a HEROIMG.ZIP from the HBOOT without a goldcard and see if it works. I'd be interested to know if it rejects the file or not, as it will be officially signed, but the CID wouldn't match (as you flashed T-Mobile UK), and would be downgrading as well.

Could this be an oft-overlooked simple method to downgrade? Or will it bomb out on an error?

Guest vipermo

cant seem to get flashrec 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 to make a back up it wont have it... Its saying Backup failed: could not run command... im using a t mobile thats now unlocked with

firmware 1.5

build number 2.73.110.26

so its not just u mate im in the same boat

cant seem to get flashrec 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 to make a back up it wont have it... Its saying Backup failed: could not run command... im using a t mobile thats now unlocked with

firmware 1.5

build number 2.73.110.26

so its not just u mate im in the same boat

Just try the method detailed above using the heroimg.zip file. That should do it for you. :)

Guest shenshang
An idea for you, Shen.

If you still have that 'spare' Hero, you could try to do a HEROIMG.ZIP from the HBOOT without a goldcard and see if it works. I'd be interested to know if it rejects the file or not, as it will be officially signed, but the CID wouldn't match (as you flashed T-Mobile UK), and would be downgrading as well.

Could this be an oft-overlooked simple method to downgrade? Or will it bomb out on an error?

just tried, got a CID error =\ but i dont think my dads gonna lemme do it again...

Would definitely be interesting to see if this is a new way round things!

i see you took my advise and got ad-free with the money you saved from having to buy a new sd card :)

just tried, got a CID error =\ but i dont think my dads gonna lemme do it again...

After we mentioned this last time, I think it makes sense the CID error occurs. I checked the service manual (don't ask :)) and this is the official alternative method to flash... Also, this is essentially what the RUU does anyway. RUU sends command similar to 'adb shell reboot bootloader' and waits till it appears in 'fastboot devices'. Then, pushes the file to the phone (HEROIMG.ZIP, or ROM.ZIP as it is known in the RUU itself) and the phone takes over from there. So a CID error is generated by the phone on the update.zip (I think the android-info.txt file is the one that deals with CID from memory).

i see you took my advise and got ad-free with the money you saved from having to buy a new sd card :)

Well, I've got unlocked HBOOT on my G2 Touch (got one of the last with the old ROM), so I don't need goldcards, and the stock one worked fine for me :). Was mainly thinking about it being easier to explain this method to people than try and troubleshoot goldcard creation (which is pretty difficult if you don't have the actual card there to do yourself). The only goldcards I've made were for friends, and they all had to supply their own cards xD

I will be upgrading to ad-free though when I can, as I think the new kitchen alone sounds worth it... Am thinking about putting a jar in my house, so I can put change I 'amass' into it, and then 'discover' I have £9.99, then it's straight off to Paul :)

Guest vipermo

Edit - It's worked I think mate :)! It installed the heroimg.zip and rebooted, now it shows the phone as a htc hero! What do i do now? Root the phone then i can install Modaco 3.2??!!

Been follow your thread stuck on t mobile

firmware 1.5

build number 2.73.110.26

can u plz plz im a desperate man and the wife is getting sick of me and this phone lol

can you plz just list what i need to do thanks

Guest shenshang
Been follow your thread stuck on t mobile

firmware 1.5

build number 2.73.110.26

can u plz plz im a desperate man and the wife is getting sick of me and this phone lol

can you plz just list what i need to do thanks

use goldcard method. ill let pulser take over now.... :)

use goldcard method. ill let pulser take over now.... :)

:)

Search Google for HTC hero goldcard, and follow the instructions. If you get errors, Then search Google for heroimg.zip, and there should be some instructions on xda developers about this method

Sorry for the Google treasure hunt, but its hard to give a full reply on my phone.

@shen, :)