Hero 2.1 Mid february ?????

Guest commodoor

I know they all rumors thats why all that ? marks at the end. but i hopeit will be sooner we are waiting ages for htc to release the new update.

if it takes that long than we can wait some great stuff and improvements in the ROM. I'm not happy with the current ROM and the HTC stuff, paul did great job to make it better, but even he has his limits and i think he is almost there.

I totally agree, and I don't believe that "customizations" that HTC "has" to do, to bring our Heros a 2.1 update is that hard and that's why it takes so long. I don't think that these versions are thaaaaaaaaaaaaaat much different.

Edited by maxld

Guest Takigama

I tried the community-modified version of the leaked 2.1 HTC beta and it does certainly feel faster, there are various other noticable improvements though (the trackball seems way more sensitive and i like it). There are also a few software additions that are quite nice.

Haven't been using it for long, but long enough to know im going back to modaco 3.1 soon cause theres just too many mods in modaco i miss. Still, I'll be looking forward to modaco's 2.1 line thats for sure.

I totally agree, and I don't believe that "customizations" that HTC "has" to do, to bring our Heros a 2.1 update is that hard and that's why it takes so long. I don't think that these versions are thaaaaaaaaaaaaaat much different.

I actually disagree on this. A lot of features HTC introduced in the current rom are now in the standard 2.1 build, so they may be trying to utilise some of the native functionality rather than adding their own apps on top. Things like, exchange, facebook etc... I'd rather have a rom where they don't end up with google software and HTC software offering the same functionality.

Just my 2 pence!

Guest e2zippo

If half of the things in that list are true I''ll be happy, and full bluetooth support ffs!

The one thing I really wanna see is better audio quality, the noise level is so high right now and it feels like the sound distorts at only half the volume. Please Paul! :)

Guest teknologist

I hope Paul will remove those ugly glowing boxes around the icons (Espresso UI)! They are so ugly !

Edited by teknologist

Guest teknologist

Also I already got the info via twitter (a week or so ago) and marked 2.1 Hero to be released between February 15th and Feb 17th in my iCal!

So it's not a Polish rumor... ;-)

Guest Marcony0
Also I already got the info via twitter (a week or so ago) and marked 2.1 Hero to be released between February 15th and Feb 17th in my iCal!

its like a week early birthday gift ! but the Paul will take it in his hands, week later *on my bday* a relase of MCR4! YEY :)

Guest commodoor

Damn these are great news, i cant wait.

@teknologist I also don't like the boxes, it maes it really ugly.

@Paul how fast wil you make a custom rom?

Edited by commodoor

Guest uniqron

I'm rather sure it is a polish rumor:

-Question: have you ever seen a major update for whatever software that was released on Christmas? Or for the US guys on here: on thanksgiving?

Well, I guess not. And now why that is an issue:

15th Feb is the Chinese new year holiday for the Taiwanese. They do not work for ~ a month, as that is their Christmas / New year period. So this update will either be here somewhere around 22 Jan (hey, that's tomorrow alright!) or I'll be somewhere in March. (ohnoes!)

And no: They don't care about the world economy. In 2008, the "world" was out off DDR2 and NAND memory, because they closed the fabs for two months for a holiday. And there was this iphone thing from some company buying all the memory, so all sdcards were terribly expensive around that period...

Guest Parano!d

i'm sure before its officially released Paul will get his hands on it & it will be much more fluid no matter how much htc claims...! lol

why dont they hire Paul :)

Guest teknologist
I'm rather sure it is a polish rumor:

-Question: have you ever seen a major update for whatever software that was released on Christmas? Or for the US guys on here: on thanksgiving?

Well, I guess not. And now why that is an issue:

15th Feb is the Chinese new year holiday for the Taiwanese. They do not work for ~ a month, as that is their Christmas / New year period. So this update will either be here somewhere around 22 Jan (hey, that's tomorrow alright!) or I'll be somewhere in March. (ohnoes!)

And no: They don't care about the world economy. In 2008, the "world" was out off DDR2 and NAND memory, because they closed the fabs for two months for a holiday. And there was this iphone thing from some company buying all the memory, so all sdcards were terribly expensive around that period...

SenseUI is not developed in China but rather in Seattle & California I believe by the HTC innovation Team (lead by HTC's Drew Bamford)...

Have you ever seen innovation or great design coming from China mate ?????

Reference: Engadget show back in Nov09

Not saying it will be released in February, just making it clear that the Chinese are not building SenseUI.. ;-)

Edited by teknologist

Guest Rubber Ducky

I only hope that HTC isn't screwing us like they did last time.

Waiting for 1.6 -> No development.

Waiting for 2.0 (was supposed to be there before Christmas) -> Not released because of 2.1.

Waiting for 2.1 -> ???

Call me stupid but my guess is, that we have to wait until somewhere in the end of Q1 2010.

Guest starfarer
SenseUI is not developed in China but rather in Seattle & California I believe by the HTC innovation Team (lead by HTC's Drew Bamford)...

Not saying it will be released in February, just making it clear that the Chinese are not building SenseUI.. ;-)

it's Taiwan :) . Status is still very hotly contested especially with China claiming.

Well everyone here must had heard of or owned something by Asus, Acer or BenQ, Dopod then if not, at least HTC :) . There's little known MSI too especially found on many computer motherboards or graphic cards. List goes on if you on computer custom hobby:A-DATA , A-OPEN , C-Media, D-link, DFI, ECS, Foxconn, G-Skill, Gigabyte, Kingmax, Lian li, Lite on, Leadtek, Micro star, Ralink, Realtek, Shuttle, SiS, Thermaltake, Trendchip, Ulead, VIA, Winbond, XGI. Well more than half are inside my computer :)

Know more about HTC's history:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/12/android-htc-profile/

or a little back in future

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/busi...2102_htc06.html

Actually a good and valid plausible thoughts raised by uniqron.

Rather than create a new thread i'd thought i'd ask a question about 2.1 for Hero here. Basically what will the upgrade route be for the new ROM?

1)Will HTC release an RUU?

2) Is it likely that there will also be an Orange version as we know that HTC RUUs dont work with Orange branded Heros

3) Assume that Pauls MCR based on 2.1 will be flashed like any other ROM through the recovery image for those that have one installed.

4) If Orange choose not to upgrade to 2.1 then I imagine the only upgrade route for Orange ROM users will be to install a recovery image and flash an MCR?

Hope all that makes sense!

cheers

Edited by hp1

Guest Rubber Ducky
Rather than create a new thread i'd thought i'd ask a question about 2.1 for Hero here. Basically what will the upgrade route be for the new ROM?

1)Will HTC release an RUU?

2) Is it likely that there will also be an Orange version as we know that HTC RUUs dont work with Orange branded Heros

3) Assume that Pauls MCR based on 2.1 will be flashed like any other ROM through the recovery image for those that have one installed.

4) If Orange choose not to upgrade to 2.1 then I imagine the only upgrade route for Orange ROM users will be to install a recovery image and flash an MCR?

Hope all that makes sense!

cheers

1) HTC will most likely release a RUU (I don't see why not, since it's the official upgrade method). This ROM will be useless for branded phones though.

2) It is not so likely that Orange, T-Mobile etc. will release branded ROM's. If they release it, it will take time (a loooooooong time). This is a major issue every time a new ROM comes out.

3) I guess yes.

4) Yes (This goes for T-Mobile as well).

Edited by Rubber Ducky

Guest teknologist
it's Taiwan :) . Status is still very hotly contested especially with China claiming.

Well everyone here must had heard of or owned something by Asus, Acer or BenQ, Dopod then if not, at least HTC :) . There's little known MSI too especially found on many computer motherboards or graphic cards. List goes on if you on computer custom hobby:A-DATA , A-OPEN , C-Media, D-link, DFI, ECS, Foxconn, G-Skill, Gigabyte, Kingmax, Lian li, Lite on, Leadtek, Micro star, Ralink, Realtek, Shuttle, SiS, Thermaltake, Trendchip, Ulead, VIA, Winbond, XGI. Well more than half are inside my computer :)

Know more about HTC's history:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/12/android-htc-profile/

or a little back in future

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/busi...2102_htc06.html

Actually a good and valid plausible thoughts raised by uniqron.

Well as per the motherboard or other IC manufacturers you mentioned...they have nothing to do with innovation & design... The innovation comes from Intel,AMD,Nvidia etc...All US based...

My point was only to say that the people building/testing SenseUI were not in Taiwan/China...And on another matter I really doubt that if my HTC gets broken while on Chinese NY holidays, they won't be answering my calls or processing RMAs...

Last but not least , I do agree with everyone on the fact that HTC is very bad at updating/releasing software and source code...and you know what ? I don't care anymore...I was really fed up and I got myself a NexusOne yesterday...should arrive shortly and then I won't bother anymore about these HTC behavior because on the other hand Google releases sources hyper fast... Full sources for the whole 2.1 OS are already out...kernel source was released just a few days after the phone was released....

Edited by teknologist

2) It is not so likely that Orange, T-Mobile etc. will release branded ROM's. If they release it, it will take time (a loooooooong time). This is a major issue every time a new ROM comes out.

The last (only) time there was an update there was an Orange version about 2 weeks later. The T-Mobile one did take longer though, fair enough.

The last (only) time there was an update there was an Orange version about 2 weeks later. The T-Mobile one did take longer though, fair enough.

T-Mobile is notoriously slow at doing anything wrt. ROMs. Slightly off topic, but the Nokia 5800 got a very major ROM release a few days back. Everyone on T-Mobile is getting really annoyed, because they want it now, and T-Mob don't have it 'branded' and 'crapified' as of yet. So they're all changing their CID-equivalent numbers to get the update. So it's not just us Android users!

More relevant, how many people actually use the stock ROM on their phone? Personally, I couldn't stand the T-Mobile one, so I had MCR on it within 6 hours of getting the phone (2 of them were charging, 2 of them were reading these forums :)). So yes, the best advice for T-Mob users who want the update is to root now, and get access to patched recovery so you're ready for the update.zips that will appear mid-Feb (we hope).

Guest uniqron

I thought I said Taiwan, but they do celebrate the Chinese new year there...

Well, anyway, I guess the hardware is done there, (as is almost all) and the software is mainly from the US. With Google being there and all that.

However, as we have noticed, the hardware and drivers don't really play well with the hardware as of yet: For example the Camera that refuses to work at over 3 mpix and only at 2mpix for more than one snap at a time.

My final guess is that the SenseUI is pretty much finished. I mean, they had it done about November / December already and with the SDK out now, it could be finished.

However, if they have to build on Taiwanese hardware-software low level elements, well... That may take another few months.

===

Buying a Nexus might be the smartest thing to do. Just to get it all over with. I'll just wait a little longer, I rather have the Bravo with Sense, eventhough I kind of like a vanilla 2.0 as well...

Have fun with the Nexus mate. :)

Guest uniqron
More relevant, how many people actually use the stock ROM on their phone? Personally, I couldn't stand the T-Mobile one, so I had MCR on it within 6 hours of getting the phone (2 of them were charging, 2 of them were reading these forums :) ). So yes, the best advice for T-Mob users who want the update is to root now, and get access to patched recovery so you're ready for the update.zips that will appear mid-Feb (we hope).

Well, the 2.73.405.5 HTC version isn't too bad. I must say the speed compared to MCR 3.1 is, well, pretty much the same. And there isn't much you can't do with a plain 405.5 with root.

I think there are enough people with no issues with speed / storage / instability in the regular roms that actually go and dig deeper. Well, maybe even the mayority...