AOSP Eclair 2.1 r4 for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Guest dredwerker

Thanks for AOSP 2.1. Works on t-mobile uk - I have been waiting for ages to try a 2 release and this is great, I have realised I don't actually care about sense.

For the relative noobs and me you need to use an update.zip with a recovery image and a wipe - it gets nasty if you dont wipe from a 1.5. Those keywords should help you search and make sure you install googlebits in the same update.zip way.

Also I didn't realise that google nav didnt work outside the US but I did find a fix for it

here but there might be a better one MYdigitallife (this was one of the pulls for me - playing with google nav).

Now my support request - anyone know how to get the usb sync working or is it a no-no. I am sure I have read all this thread and yes I have tried to google it. :)

Keep up the good work jnwhiteh and may you get less aggro :)

PS anyone else notice a prob with posting a reply and firefox 3.6? -I couldnt believe it I had to post this with IE8 argggh-Living on the edge thats what it gets me :)

Edited by dredwerker

Guest jnwhiteh

I've just posted version r2 and grabbed a new google-bits 1.6 that seem to fix most of the issues that I've seen. Network location with cell towers works thanks to the fix Prime61071 posted. Also, keyboard transcription is in and the google bits have permissions set correctly according to what is required.

As for the LEDs, thanks for the report.. should be a fairly easy change to the init.rc.

Guest tone-fu

Tried it for a while and it was pretty good, no major problems once I got it up and running. Initially it wouldn't connect to Google servers to login my account, a couple of reboots and that stopped happening though.

Good effort, thanks mate! :)

Guest jnwhiteh
I've just posted version r2 and grabbed a new google-bits 1.6 that seem to fix most of the issues that I've seen. Network location with cell towers works thanks to the fix Prime61071 posted. Also, keyboard transcription is in and the google bits have permissions set correctly according to what is required.

As for the LEDs, thanks for the report.. should be a fairly easy change to the init.rc.

You should not need to wipe data, but that's entirely up to you. I'm really really really hoping this is the last change we'll need to make to google bits. I think I finally 'got it'

Guest jnwhiteh
Thanks for AOSP 2.1. Works on t-mobile uk - I have been waiting for ages to try a 2 release and this is great, I have realised I don't actually care about sense.

For the relative noobs and me you need to use an update.zip with a recovery image and a wipe - it gets nasty if you dont wipe from a 1.5. Those keywords should help you search and make sure you install googlebits in the same update.zip way.

You figured it out, didn't you =). A force wipe ROM is a bad idea, and I won't do it. It's too hard for any of us that are doing rapid testing.

Also I didn't realise that google nav didnt work outside the US but I did find a fix for it

here but there might be a better one MYdigitallife (this was one of the pulls for me - playing with google nav).

Now my support request - anyone know how to get the usb sync working or is it a no-no. I am sure I have read all this thread and yes I have tried to google it. :)

That's an HTC feature, not going to happen in this ROM, ever, sadly.

Guest jnwhiteh

Umm.. so.. Gallery3D is rendering correctly in r2. Bizarre. Still has the orientation bug, but Cyanogen sees that as well.

Edited by jnwhiteh

Guest ermacwins

thanks so prime fix is in googlebits or the r2? do i need to wipe data?

Guest jnwhiteh
thanks so prime fix is in googlebits or the r2? do i need to wipe data?

It doesn't matter, you need to apply both. I won't be supporting the older version. The 'fix' is in r2, but the fix for many other issues is in the googlebits. I dont' know if you need to wipe, it's hard to tell whats goign to happen with the certificate changes on some applications. Try without, if you'd like =)

Guest String Theory

The rendering of the gallery is indeed okay now... in fact, it's fast as hell! Something else.. you say the Googlebits are coming to a final release, but ain't the Google Talk-version an older version? I believe the new icon is white/blue. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Guest jnwhiteh
The rendering of the gallery is indeed okay now... in fact, it's fast as hell! Something else.. you say the Googlebits are coming to a final release, but ain't the Google Talk-version an older version? I believe the new icon is white/blue. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No idea, that particular app comes from a nexus one unodexed dump, so not sure.

Guest Vido.Ardes

I have tried flashing without a wipe and the push googlemail isn't working (need to manually sync the app). I will try wiping and see if it works after that.

Network location works out of the box though (I pushed the old file back and broke it deliberatly, to make sure the update fixed it) which is fantstic!

Guest rico2k_uk

Good rom.. Already installed and put on SlideScreen Pro. Is there a way of getting a T9 keypad installed? Better keyboard is pants, and the HTC one error checks rom version before install which sucks.

Guest jnwhiteh
Good rom.. Already installed and put on SlideScreen Pro. Is there a way of getting a T9 keypad installed? Better keyboard is pants, and the HTC one error checks rom version before install which sucks.

You can always alter the sdk requirements in the HTC one.. it shouldnt' be terribly hard to get another keyboard working on the device.

Guest String Theory
No idea, that particular app comes from a nexus one unodexed dump, so not sure.

You can find a photo of the Nexus One apps right here: http://www.gadgetlite.com/wp-content/uploa...s-one-apps2.jpg

As you can see, Google Talk and the browser (navigateur) have an other icon then the ones in the most recent Googlebits.

Just want to help you make this rom a 'Nexus One'-killer :)

Guest jnwhiteh
You can find a photo of the Nexus One apps right here: http://www.gadgetlite.com/wp-content/uploa...s-one-apps2.jpg

As you can see, Google Talk and the browser (navigateur) have an other icon then the ones in the most recent Googlebits.

Just want to help you make this rom a 'Nexus One'-killer :)

That logo is definitely used in the apk, maybe its just not used in mdpi? Who knows! Hell, maybe they're not Nexus One apps.. but they certainly work =)

Edited by jnwhiteh

Guest jnwhiteh
Just as an update, the push google mail worked after a wipe so you may find upgrading without wiping won't fix any issues your seeing

You might get away with just wiping cache, but thanks for telling!

Guest String Theory
You might get away with just wiping cache, but thanks for telling!

It's even easier.. switch the Google account off and on in the accountmenu! It couldn't be even quicker :)

Guest Vido.Ardes
It's even easier.. switch the Google account off and on in the accountmenu! It couldn't be even quicker :)

Sod it, Ive already started restoring my apps... :)

Never mind, it's all working wonderfully! Best ROM ever made. Now I'm gonna go hack apart the launcher2.apk and see if I can't make myself useful...

Guest Vido.Ardes

Just a quick request, I know Paul is working ot put this great ROM in a kitchen, can Market Enabler be one of the optional components? I have no use for it, and have to manually remove it everytime I flash...

... I know, poor me right? :)

Guest jnwhiteh
Just a quick request, I know Paul is working ot put this great ROM in a kitchen, can Market Enabler be one of the optional components? I have no use for it, and have to manually remove it everytime I flash...

... I know, poor me right? :)

It's only there because Kiall needs it, no paid apps in Ireland =(. Yes, it could/should be optional its just there for 'completeness'.

wait on first boot (can take a long time depending on number of apps installed on SD ~ 10minutes on mine)

How many apps did you have? i have 20 or so apps and i am stuck with the Android screen for an hour now! is that possible or something must have gone wrong?