AOSP Eclair 2.1 r4 for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Guest pillock

An hour sounds excessive.... I'd wipe data and cache and start again.

I've never been sat more than 5-6 minutes and I have about the same number of apps as you. That's time from rebooting after the flash, to getting the 'Touch the Android' screen.

Paul, any ETA on getting this in a kitchen or are you waiting on the camera supporting 5Mp? At the moment I'm on 3.2b2 (is that right? The latest beta one, about a week ago!) and I really want to go back to Eclair, but I love the kitchen aspect and the fact that (hopefully) Modaco Eclair would have Titanium in it to ease the transition.

Guest RichBayliss
Just a quick request, I know Paul is working ot put this great ROM in a kitchen, can Market Enabler be one of the optional components? I have no use for it, and have to manually remove it everytime I flash...

... I know, poor me right? :)

Could it be put in the Data partition - therefore removable? I don't know but I bet jnwhitey does... :)

Excellent ROM btw - really clean and nice.

What's the official bug reporting process though? I found a few "not working" features, but I think they are because we don't have all the drivers for things yet.

Guest teknologist
How many apps did you have? i have 20 or so apps and i am stuck with the Android screen for an hour now! is that possible or something must have gone wrong?

yes read my full post...including the edit.. ;-) In case you came from 1.5 ROM (like MCR/generic or stock) and didn't wipe ext-sd...

Anyway, it shouldn't be that bad...just do this:

-Recovery mode

-Wipe Data

-Wipe Ext-sd

-reflash the ROM

and start the apps2sd activation process again...reboot

Any installed apps should go to the sd card from then on...

Haven't tested all this myself but it should work as long as apps2sd is *really* functional and from what I have see there is a2sd script (coming from cyanogenmod I believe) -> same as the one in MCRs

Guest jnwhiteh
Have you been able to increase the home screens to 5?

I read previously that you were planning too.

No, I forgot and it was more important to fix the sync bugs and network location.

Could it be put in the Data partition - therefore removable? I don't know but I bet jnwhitey does... :)

Excellent ROM btw - really clean and nice.

What's the official bug reporting process though? I found a few "not working" features, but I think they are because we don't have all the drivers for things yet.

Report them here, but make sure they've not already been reported.

Network location using cell towers working :)

I pulled the libhtc_ril.so file from Paul's Nexus One flash zip and uploaded it to my Hero and I'm happy to confirm network location is working!

The file you need is here:

http://depositfiles.com/files/4dff2rl1x

You'll need to do the following:

download and unzip the file I've posted above

adb pull /system/lib/libhtc_ril.so (to a backup directory of your choice)

adb remount

change to the directory where you've unzipped the downloaded file

adb push libhtc_ril.so /system/lib

adb reboot

Almost forgot to say, thanks so much for the ROM jnwhiteh, absolutely love it!

if anyone's interested this fix also works on kagudroid.

No, I forgot and it was more important to fix the sync bugs and network location.

Poo!! lol no worries, is it something you will be able to consider next update, if there is one?

Guest werziluk

Oooo cant wait to see a kitchen for this :)

BTW I called you 'white' before because I was typing on my phone (predictive text) and because im lazy lol

I also had the backup issues in the Amon recovery, had to delete all my nandroid backups :)

I am going to try this ROM again over the weekend and not rush the install because I wont be pushed for time then. Nice to see the code to get apps2sd working too.

Weird keyboard problem on r2..

theres no "background"

along the bottom and the outside edges of A and L on the keyboard are transparent. Hitting search on my home screen, I can see my wallpaper through the sides.

Anybody else had this?

Guest Vido.Ardes

theres no "background"

along the bottom and the outside edges of A and L on the keyboard are transparent. Hitting search on my home screen, I can see my wallpaper through the sides.

Anybody else had this?

There are general graphical issues due to the apps being scaled down from nexus apps. The market and facebooks have similar issues

theres no "background"

Anybody else had this?

That's not new to r2, r1 had the missing background also.

Dont know if this will interest anyone, but i have a copy of 3d album that is correct for the hero - no graphical glitches. See attached.

Have you tested this, does it work?

Andy`

This is a great ROM and works good for me. Smooth and no real problems yet with any apps. A couple of slight bugs though in other places:

1. When charging the light is green and not amber, so is just green whether charging or not.

2. The keyboard in Market has white blocks next to the "a" and "l" keys.

Only been using it for a few hours mind, but seems stable enough to use daily.

Can't wait for future updates :)

Guest gadgeter_1977

My phone reboots by itself every now and then using this ROM, anyone else have this issue? I just now updating to the latest one, hopefully it will not reboot!

Guest bace 88

all good here on r2....nice and stable, lovely and smooth .....and looks particularly sweet with a live wallpaper

from the market. I know its only 'digital rain', but r2 handles it perfectly....thankyou for this rom jnwhiteh, you're a star :)

Guest jnwhiteh
Oooo cant wait to see a kitchen for this :)

BTW I called you 'white' before because I was typing on my phone (predictive text) and because im lazy lol

I also had the backup issues in the Amon recovery, had to delete all my nandroid backups :)

I am going to try this ROM again over the weekend and not rush the install because I wont be pushed for time then. Nice to see the code to get apps2sd working too.

You didn't need to remove all your backups. If you adb shell'd in like it told you to, you'd see that you had a single corrupt backup that was throwing things off. Deleting this would have been enough.

Dont know if this will interest anyone, but i have a copy of 3d album that is correct for the hero - no graphical glitches. See attached.

I may look at this tomorrow and see if we can backport the appropriate changes to the source.

This is a great ROM and works good for me. Smooth and no real problems yet with any apps. A couple of slight bugs though in other places:

1. When charging the light is green and not amber, so is just green whether charging or not.

2. The keyboard in Market has white blocks next to the "a" and "l" keys.

Only been using it for a few hours mind, but seems stable enough to use daily.

Can't wait for future updates :)

LED issue is known, and I'm fairly sure it'll be an easy fix.

Also, StreetView doesn't rotate when I move the phone, does it work in R2?

No idea, don't use it.

Before I give a shot, could anyone share some insight on the performance of this release? (ie. Low FPS/lag when scrolling, etc.)

Is it still relatively laggy like other AOSP builds or is it just as smooth as Cupcake releases?

Guest Prime61071

I've no idea about game performance but generally this ROM is easily as fast and usable as a stock cupcake build. I've not had my hero all that long and remembering what the shipped sense UI was like I'm glad I switched.

Incidentally I couldn't get Google sync working having flashed from R1 to R2, even after wiping the cache. A data wipe/factory reset and a fresh flash of R2 with the appropriate Googlebits package got everything working again though :)