AOSP Eclair 2.1 r4 for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

no its installed fine, but as soon as the co pilot screen loads it just says it cant load. i have other paid apps running fine.

From what I read in other forums... I think that it is a problem of copilot version...

only the last versions of copilot work with 2.0+ roms... older version (e.g. 328) does not work.

Guest Club-Mobile
I pushed cyanogens HTC_IME.apk from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=567294

This one has all the dictionaries but u cant access them through the menu.

So I edited com.htc.android.htcime_preferences.xml to pick the dutch dictionary and that works.

Also the Clicker on that post by cyanogen does NOT work for 2.1

I took the Clicker.apk from a Hero 2.1 Rom and that did install properly.

I did the same.

However, the file com.htc.android.htcime_preferences.xml in /data/data/com.htc.android.htcime/shared_prefs/ does not exist on my mobile

How did you manage to get it working?

Guest Revoked
I did the same.

However, the file com.htc.android.htcime_preferences.xml in /data/data/com.htc.android.htcime/shared_prefs/ does not exist on my mobile

How did you manage to get it working?

It should be there, how are you checking if the file exists? (Not using a file manager i hope?)

Try checking it via ADB

adb shell
cd /data/data/com.htc.android.htcime/shared_prefs
ls
[/codebox]

It should show up and u can just use adb to pull it.

[codebox]
adb pull data/data/com.htc.android.htcime/shared_prefs/com.htc.android.htcime_preferences.xml .

(Don't forget the dot :))

Hope this works!

Edited by Revoked

Guest Club-Mobile
It should be there, how are you checking if the file exists? (Not using a file manager i hope?)

Try checking it via ADB

adb shell
cd /data/data/com.htc.android.htcime/shared_prefs
ls
[/codebox]

It should show up and u can just use adb to pull it.

[codebox]
adb pull data/data/com.htc.android.htcime/shared_prefs/com.htc.android.htcime_preferences.xml .

(Don't forget the dot :))

Hope this works!

Thank you for the information.

I managed to change the language setting and to push it back.

After a reboot and switching to the touch keyboard I getan FC constantly. You don't have this problem?

Guest Revoked
Thank you for the information.

I managed to change the language setting and to push it back.

After a reboot and switching to the touch keyboard I getan FC constantly. You don't have this problem?

No, are you using the same HTC_IME.apk as I am? The one from Cyanogen is the only one that works properly on 2.1. (Check a few posts back)

If that's not the case, check to see if you didnt mess up the preferences file by changing the wrong information.

Guest knudsen81
I'm already on it, but its not a library issue. They use the exact same libraries that we do =).

I use you rom and hope you will get the camera to work with 5 mpix

Guest jnwhiteh

AOSP-Eclair-2.1-jnwhiteh-r3:

* An automatic backup and restore script makes updates seemless

* Brought back the old init.rc to solve the issue with LED notifications

* Changed launcher so it uses five home screens instead of the default three

* Telia SE added to APNs list

* Other community repository fixes, see github for more information

Guest RichBayliss
I'm already on it, but its not a library issue. They use the exact same libraries that we do =).

Great work, I am really impressed with the build so far. I have made my own "tweaks" but I think as a base it is fab.

I look forward to the fully working article!

AOSP-Eclair-2.1-jnwhiteh-r3:

* An automatic backup and restore script makes updates seemless

* Brought back the old init.rc to solve the issue with LED notifications

* Changed launcher so it uses five home screens instead of the default three

* Telia SE added to APNs list

* Other community repository fixes, see github for more information

Great work, thanks!

Does the script mean I don't have to wipe the phone before updating?

I'll make a nandroid backup just in case.

Also, I'd like to comment on the battery life.

It seems I only get around 8 hours out of my Hero, although there aren't

any processes hogging it, since I have over 100 MB of RAM free.

Would this be an issue with mobile network being always on, or something?

Guest jnwhiteh
Great work, thanks!

Does the script mean I don't have to wipe the phone before updating?

I'll make a nandroid backup just in case.p

The update script wipes your cache automatically and there should be no reason to wipe data. What the script means is that you don't need to re-flash google-bits after flashing an update.

Also, I'd like to comment on the battery life.

It seems I only get around 8 hours out of my Hero, although there aren't

any processes hogging it, since I have over 100 MB of RAM free.

Would this be an issue with mobile network being always on, or something?

RAM has nothing to do with battery. It's what the applications do. I suggest downloading something like Process Manager to see what is using your CPU. There is also an issue on some of our builds, due to HTC's kernel (which we cannot alter) that causes the cpu to not scale down properly in some cases. This would exist on any 2.x ROM running that kernel, and my experience supports that. 8 hours is incredibly low. Use the Settings -> About -> Battery Usage to get more information about what is going on.

The update script wipes your cache automatically and there should be no reason to wipe data. What the script means is that you don't need to re-flash google-bits after flashing an update.

RAM has nothing to do with battery. It's what the applications do. I suggest downloading something like Process Manager to see what is using your CPU. There is also an issue on some of our builds, due to HTC's kernel (which we cannot alter) that causes the cpu to not scale down properly in some cases. This would exist on any 2.x ROM running that kernel, and my experience supports that. 8 hours is incredibly low. Use the Settings -> About -> Battery Usage to get more information about what is going on.

I assume I'll still have to flash google-bits if they're updates, like now with the v1.7 vs my 1.6.

What I meant with the RAM was that I use Automatic Task Killer to kill most of the processes when the phone goes to sleep, so I doubt it's any of the apps.

Spare Parts says the most demanding process is the system itself, and after that the media player, which I've used for 30 minutes listening to a few songs.

I guess it's the kernel then.

Guest jnwhiteh
I assume I'll still have to flash google-bits if they're updates, like now with the v1.7 vs my 1.6.

1.7 is not an update to 1.6. 1.7 is just required for anyone who is downloading r3 and not coming from r2.

What I meant with the RAM was that I use Automatic Task Killer to kill most of the processes when the phone goes to sleep, so I doubt it's any of the apps.

Given that, as I understand it, ATK sucks CPU like crazy.. I wouldn't be so sure.

Spare Parts says the most demanding process is the system itself, and after that the media player, which I've used for 30 minutes listening to a few songs.

I didn't say use spare parts, I said to use settings -> about -> battery usage. There's a reason for this.

No, its Automatic Task Killer that's the culprit. It hogs the cpu just checking for cpu/ram hogging apps.

Uninstall and test again. Should be much better.

Guest chriscpritchard

Just like to say: It's a brilliant ROM, not really tested it for a full day when out, but so far it seems stable and good. I would like the camera to be at 5.0 MP, and the keyboard to not have the graphical glitches, but these are really minor issues compared to the benifits :)

Just like to say: It's a brilliant ROM, not really tested it for a full day when out, but so far it seems stable and good. I would like the camera to be at 5.0 MP, and the keyboard to not have the graphical glitches, but these are really minor issues compared to the benifits :)

I installed Scandinavian Keyboard off the Market and use that, it looks the same (or with a Rosie and Light variant) and doesn't have the glitches.

Scandinavian Keyboard also has an English layout.

One question: Would it be ok to add the Cyanogen's Multitouch-enabled Browser to this rom? I pushed it and it works great with -r3.

Would it be considered non-AOSP then, though?

EDIT: Talking about this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=621441

Edited by Iiro

Guest jnwhiteh
I installed Scandinavian Keyboard off the Market and use that, it looks the same (or with a Rosie and Light variant) and doesn't have the glitches.

One question: Would it be ok to add the Cyanogen's Multitouch-enabled Browser to this rom? I pushed it and it works great with -r3.

EDIT: Talking about this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=621441

I've stated before that it works fine, but it won't be going into this ROM.

Guest Stea1thmode

go ahead, it works well with this

Guest kieranc
1.7 is not an update to 1.6. 1.7 is just required for anyone who is downloading r3 and not coming from r2.

Given that, as I understand it, ATK sucks CPU like crazy.. I wouldn't be so sure.

I didn't say use spare parts, I said to use settings -> about -> battery usage. There's a reason for this.

I've uninstalled ATK and I'll check the Battery Usage in case it's still very high.

i've noticed the poor battery life too, barely lasting a day, I've recently changed from taskiller to atk but it didn't start happening at that time, and I kill off atk once i've used it so i doubt it's that. when I've checked battery usage before and system standby was the biggest one, bluetooth 2nd I think? kinda seems like it's not suspending properly maybe? CPU not throttling back in standby?

just installed r3 so let's see what happens

I lost contacts syncing after updating to r3, I read that it happened to Kagudroid users also since last update (1.1.1). Some changes in sources maybe...

Going back to nandroid backup of r2. Love the 5 home screens, that's too bad.

Anyway I'm sure it will be fixed by the awesome jnwhiteh :)

Guest jnwhiteh
I lost contacts syncing after updating to r3, I read that it happened to Kagudroid users also since last update (1.1.1). Some changes in sources maybe...

Going back to nandroid backup of r2. Love the 5 home screens, that's too bad.

Anyway I'm sure it will be fixed by the awesome jnwhiteh :)

Reflash google-bits and it works just fine. It likely means there's some issue with the scripts that I will have to fix.