AOSP Eclair 2.1 r4 for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Hi, i had the same problem with the kitchen version, ticked off live wallpapers and email, left everything else the way it was ... after flashing, i got so many error messages i wasnt even able to shut my hero down and had to pull the battery.

the non-kitchen version is running fine at the moment

Guest Carl_Brummy

Downloaded the non-kitched version and this has worked fine.

So I guess it was the kitchen - maybe it needed turning during cooking :-) I had all options ticked, never removed anything from it.

Excellent work on this, well impressed.

Carl.

Guest nuumuun
Is mobile data in this build always on?

I no longer have the option to toggle 'Always on mobile data'. Whenever my WiFi drops out, my mobile data connection turns on. I haven't figured out how to stop it. I don't have an unlimited data plan, so I need some control over this.

The option was previously (1.5 and MCR 3.1) under Wireless & network settings > Mobile network > Always on mobile data. The only options listed there now are Data roaming, Access Point Names, Use only 2G networks and Network Operators.

Under Accounts and sync settings, I have unchecked 'Background data'.

Under Wireless and networks > Wi-Fi settings > Menu > Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy, I have selected 'Never'.

Is there something I am missing? How do ensure that my mobile data connection only turns on when I allow it?

Thanks for all the work thus far and any assistance on this!

for all of you looking for a mobile data switch look at these free apps from the market:

Quick Setting

Toggle Data Widget

i don't know why nothing of the sorts is included in the AOSP but stop bugging jnwhiteh for it :)

Guest Vido.Ardes
you know what would be really nice, that cool menu button that is with Nexus One :) these 4 dots.

That's the launcher2 apk mentioned in the first post

Guest MeAndroid

Hi!

I have used this ROM for, 3-4h now and I get force closes on every other app. After rebooting for the first time it all worked fine, but then i got a force close on com.android.phone and com.android.mms and its making me enter my PIN code over and over again. After entering the pin and getting fc's a couple of times it seemed to work, but then the phone frooze and I had to pull the battery.

I also noticed that the calendar got into a fc loop when I opened it.

When I flashed it I made a nandroid backup as well as a wipe and i also removed the sd partition, and I flashed the Googlebits too.

I haven't read about anyone else with any similar problems and I dont have a clue about what it could be about.

Anyone?

Guest jnwhiteh
Hi!

I have used this ROM for, 3-4h now and I get force closes on every other app. After rebooting for the first time it all worked fine, but then i got a force close on com.android.phone and com.android.mms and its making me enter my PIN code over and over again. After entering the pin and getting fc's a couple of times it seemed to work, but then the phone frooze and I had to pull the battery.

I also noticed that the calendar got into a fc loop when I opened it.

When I flashed it I made a nandroid backup as well as a wipe and i also removed the sd partition, and I flashed the Googlebits too.

I haven't read about anyone else with any similar problems and I dont have a clue about what it could be about.

Anyone?

None of these are known issues with my ROM. I suggest you wipe, flash r4 (not market) and GoogleBits1.7 on top of it. Alternatively, you could provide a logcat, but as none of these are known issues I don't tink that will get us anywhere.

Guest MeAndroid
None of these are known issues with my ROM. I suggest you wipe, flash r4 (not market) and GoogleBits1.7 on top of it. Alternatively, you could provide a logcat, but as none of these are known issues I don't tink that will get us anywhere.

Thats what I thought because everyone got it to work fine, so I wiped and skipped the Titanium backup this time and now it is working flawless.

I didnt have a second of doubt in your ROM jnwhiteh :)

Love the 2.1 and keep up your good work!

I noticed CKDroid 1.5.1 added OpenGL libraries so I pushed them to AOSP 2.1 -r4. At least the device boots, but I cannot tell whether or not the drivers are working. Live wallpapers seem to work a bit faster.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=619262

Do you get screen corruption when you rotate the gallery app ? That's a good test to see if it's working correctly.

Do you get screen corruption when you rotate the gallery app ? That's a good test to see if it's working correctly.

I did get that corruption, just checked.

But it seems the gallery app is a bit faster; that might just be because I hope it works, though.

Would the files in lib load automatically at boot, or do they need to be added somewhere?

Guest jnwhiteh

If you took all of them and they're in the right place.. they'd work. Never.. ever.. rely on your own ability to judge whether something is 'faster' or not. Use Neocore or another OpenGL benchmark to test. Something that has actual numbers that can be compared run to run.

Use Neocore or another OpenGL benchmark to test.

Hy jnwhiteh

That's exactly what I've done with your ROM, and I get a surprising 16,4 fps ... With other ROMs, it was 24 or 25 fps.

At the same time, neither Youtube nor TV seems to work : I can see the first frame, and then, it freezes.

Do you think it will be possible to fix this video problem ? It seems that other 2.1 ROMs do not have this bug ...

By the way, thank's again for the great work ...

Guest jnwhiteh
Hy jnwhiteh

That's exactly what I've done with your ROM, and I get a surprising 16,4 fps ... With other ROMs, it was 24 or 25 fps.

At the same time, neither Youtube nor TV seems to work : I can see the first frame, and then, it freezes.

Do you think it will be possible to fix this video problem ? It seems that other 2.1 ROMs do not have this bug ...

What other 2.x ROMS have you tried? Also, I never get scores that low, they're always in the 20s. As a matter of fact, I just ran it and got 26.2. I appreciate that you may be getting different results, but you have to do a fair comparison. A 100% wiped ROM is going to do better than a ROM with applications and account syncing. If you'd like to provide a fair comparison with other ROMS, please list the ROMS you test, ensure they are wiped and provide the NeoCore OpenGL benchmark scores.

I can confirm that you can get MUCH lower scores if you are touching the screen during the benchmark. Other people have reported this issue (game performance when touching the screen) and I see a 10-12 FPS drop under these conditions. Again, a fair comparison between different ROMS taken when touching the screen during the benchmark would be useful.

Guest taz5176
Hy jnwhiteh

have u tried youtube with high quality settings?

in kagudroid 1.1.3

i tried kagudroid 1.1.3 & it is using high quality as the default settings for youtube, & seems to work. same issue as yours occurs when i switch to normal quality. btw, when orientation changes, the video will freeze

Guest jnwhiteh
have u tried youtube with high quality settings?

in kagudroid 1.1.3

i tried kagudroid 1.1.3 & it is using high quality as the default settings for youtube, & seems to work. same issue as yours occurs when i switch to normal quality. btw, when orientation changes, the video will freeze

I thought we were talking about OpenGL performance, not Youtube. They are related but not the same thing. If there's an issue with Youtube playback we can certainly look into it.. but if Kagudroid 'does' it, then it's absolutely certain that we should have the same performance or behavior in this ROM.

It is certainly possible that being built as a user variant rather than engineering gets rid of the debug messages from the Qualcomm video decoder, and that may cause the majority of the difference you're seeing. It's definitely something I can experiment with.

Guest taz5176
I thought we were talking about OpenGL performance, not Youtube. They are related but not the same thing. If there's an issue with Youtube playback we can certainly look into it.. but if Kagudroid 'does' it, then it's absolutely certain that we should have the same performance or behavior in this ROM.

It is certainly possible that being built as a user variant rather than engineering gets rid of the debug messages from the Qualcomm video decoder, and that may cause the majority of the difference you're seeing. It's definitely something I can experiment with.

sorry for the confusion, those were my findings after using for couple of days

Guest jnwhiteh

For those that would like to try, you can download beta versions of r5 and GoogleBits 1.8. The GoogleBits is the same package that cyanogen is using for his Nexus One ROM.

aosp-2.1-jnwhiteh-r5-beta1.zip

GoogleBits-sdk-v1.8.zip (rapidshare, megaupload, zshare)

The major change here is that Youtube video playback should work the same as KaguDroid, but you'll all need to test that for me.

Edited by jnwhiteh

Guest String Theory

Downloading right now... will comment when I find bugs!

1st boot:

- No wipe, but still the icons are back in fresh-install spot

- Rebooted without prompt

- Now it's in loop with Android Media FC

- Keeps rebooting now...

Mmm.. I guess something isn't going the way it was planned...

Edited by String Theory

Guest Vido.Ardes
Downloading right now... will comment when I find bugs!

IF.... if you find bugs :)

Downloading now. Is it worth trying this one without a wipe, or should I do a clean install?

Guest jnwhiteh
IF.... if you find bugs :)

Downloading now. Is it worth trying this one without a wipe, or should I do a clean install?

I just flashed it without a wipe.

So, I've been using the r2 for a few days now, and today, my communication has been closed 3 times in a row and sometimes, webpages such as google.com can't load in the browser (probably because of the same connection problems). I'm working for Alcatel-Lucent, so I'm just under a radio tower and I very good connection status. That's why I'm wondering, which radio ROM is recommanded for this ROM ? I'm currently using 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26.

--

b0z0