AOSP Eclair 2.1 r4 for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

I'm not going to port it, but you are welcome to install the APK. It shouldn't require much more tan that,if anything.

Hi jnwhiteh, do you know what is wrong with my pptp vpn connections? (http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=300028&view=findpost&p=1174421) Other than that, everything works great. Thanks :)

Edited by billtt

Guest jnwhiteh
Hi jnwhiteh, do you know what is wrong with my pptp vpn connections? (my post is here) Other than that, everything works great. Thanks :)

I saw your post, but the log only indicates that the connection timed out. It's possible that there's a patch out there for this, but I'm not really sure. Try out the latest release of KaguDroid and see if that works correctly for you.

I saw your post, but the log only indicates that the connection timed out. It's possible that there's a patch out there for this, but I'm not really sure. Try out the latest release of KaguDroid and see if that works correctly for you.

Thanks for your quick reply! I'm not sure if the KaguDroid will work for me, because I've tried several other 2.0 or 2.1 roms, but none works.

Actually, there is an error message which says "Socket() Address family not supported by protocol" right after "Creating PPPoX socket". Does this have something to do with the problem, hopefully?

Guest jnwhiteh
Thanks for your quick reply! I'm not sure if the KaguDroid will work for me, because I've tried several other 2.0 or 2.1 roms, but none works.

Actually, there is an error message which says "Socket() Address family not supported by protocol" right after "Creating PPPoX socket". Does this have something to do with the problem, hopefully?

Possibly, but the reason I say to use KaguDroid's latest release is because he has switched (as I have) to using Cyanogen's repositories as the base for his ROM. If anyone's likely to have fixed this issue, it would have been him so it's definitely worth a try.

Guest karumbo
Possibly, but the reason I say to use KaguDroid's latest release is because he has switched (as I have) to using Cyanogen's repositories as the base for his ROM. If anyone's likely to have fixed this issue, it would have been him so it's definitely worth a try.

Hi,

I looked into this briefly a while back, not massively so I may be wrong but....

I think it's going to be a problem with all 2.x roms for the hero until the kernel source arrives. I believe thal the kernel needs (re)building with the necessary ppp options.

Guest jnwhiteh
Hi,

I looked into this briefly a while back, not massively so I may be wrong but....

I think it's going to be a problem with all 2.x roms for the hero until the kernel source arrives. I believe thal the kernel needs (re)building with the necessary ppp options.

That is indeed very likely, if the kernel is needed to support PPP.

Guest karumbo

From what I remember then the pptpd server reports "Protocol not available". I used tcpdump to analyze the network traffic - the android device is sending back an ICMP packet to the ppptd server saying "protocol not supported", as suggested by the logcat output.

pppox sockets are controlled by some of these kernel options, and my best guess is one/some of the key ones are not enabled in the currently available kernels...

root@blah:~# cat /boot/config-2.6.24-24-server | grep PPP

CONFIG_PPP=m

CONFIG_PPPOE=m

CONFIG_PPPOL2TP=m

//commented out a few to keep it neat...

CONFIG_PPPOATM=m

Edited by karumbo

Guest e2zippo

Just installed waiting to play with the 2.1 stuff! But all i get are ALOT of FC's, i can't even get to the home screen, setup wizard FC's then com.google. I came from MCR 3.2b5 but i did a wipe first, any ideas?

Guest jnwhiteh
Just installed waiting to play with the 2.1 stuff! But all i get are ALOT of FC's, i can't even get to the home screen, setup wizard FC's then com.google. I came from MCR 3.2b5 but i did a wipe first, any ideas?

Did you flash the GoogleBits? If not, you would have the old 1.5 google-bitm which will cause lots of issues.

Guest e2zippo
Did you flash the GoogleBits? If not, you would have the old 1.5 google-bitm which will cause lots of issues.

I haven't really used googlebits before, but i need to download GoogleBits-sdk7-v1.7-signed.zip and update that one as well and that's it?

Guest jnwhiteh
I haven't really used googlebits before, but i need to download GoogleBits-sdk7-v1.7-signed.zip and update that one as well and that's it?

Yes, for the time being. AOSP apps can't include the google applications inside.. and the backup script messes things up a bit if you come from a 1.5 ROM without. I'm working on all of it :)

Guest e2zippo
Yes, for the time being. AOSP apps can't include the google applications inside.. and the backup script messes things up a bit if you come from a 1.5 ROM without. I'm working on all of it :)

Flashed googlebits and it's all good now, looks really sweet compared to 1.5, keep up the good work, thanks!

Guest Stea1thmode

Hey Jnwhiteh, as a token of appreciation for all your hard work, I was going to offer you a few drinks, is it me or your 'buy me a beer' link has gone :)

Guest jnwhiteh
Hey Jnwhiteh, as a token of appreciation for all your hard work, I was going to offer you a few drinks, is it me or your 'buy me a beer' link has gone :)

It appears that on Modaco.com, signatures only appear once on any given 'page', so you can find it at my post on the top of the page. No obligations at all, but thanks for the thoughts!

Guest Stea1thmode
It appears that on Modaco.com, signatures only appear once on any given 'page', so you can find it at my post on the top of the page. No obligations at all, but thanks for the thoughts!

aahhhh ok.

have a few on me and keep up the sterling work :)

your work is reconised and much appreciated!

Edited by Stea1thmode

Guest JamesKing

Sorry to ask what must be basic questions, but this thread is getting pretty long!

I currently have MCR 3.2 Beta 5 with Apps2SD on an ext4 partition.

I'd like to upgrade to this, but would be interested to fully understand the process first. do I need to wipe completely? (not a problem as I will nandroid).

Do I need to wipe all the programs installed on my ext4 partition? I'd be less keen to do this! Does anyone know if they would restore OK on to the AOSP ROM using Titatnium Backup?

Cheers,

James

PS - oh, also, what's "google bits". It doesn't google very well, but I assume it's maps, voice search, etc...?

Guest jnwhiteh
Sorry to ask what must be basic questions, but this thread is getting pretty long!

I currently have MCR 3.2 Beta 5 with Apps2SD on an ext4 partition.

I'd like to upgrade to this, but would be interested to fully understand the process first. do I need to wipe completely? (not a problem as I will nandroid).

Do I need to wipe all the programs installed on my ext4 partition? I'd be less keen to do this! Does anyone know if they would restore OK on to the AOSP ROM using Titatnium Backup?

You won't ahve to wipe your ext4 partition, but they won't be picked up automatically.. you'd need to use Titanium Backup or Astro or something to restore them. Nothing will happen to them, however.

PS - oh, also, what's "google bits". It doesn't google very well, but I assume it's maps, voice search, etc...?

They're the google proprietary applications that can't be distributed with the ROM. Once we have a proper 2.x ROM from HTC, we can just back those applicatoins up and use them, but until then we have this. You would need to apply the google bits after flashing the update.. before booting.

Guest uniqron

Good rom, but I have three main gripes after 4 days of use.

- Random slowdowns. No matter what app, or how many processes / tasks are running: CPU behaviour is not cool. 100+mb free doesn't help. Having 4 tasks (net loc, keyboard, dailer, home) doesn't help.

Affects phone, text input, scrolling, wifi network, games, homescreen navigation and what not...

- Headphones don't work: No 3.5jack sensing, no bleutooth.

- email / gmail / rss / netlocation don't update. Unless you 'prod' them: start gmail, and suddenly you get the notification. Go to mail and i'll auto fetch mail, not while in background. Weather / timezone apps don't change unless you refresh manually...

I'm getting the idea this is pretty much the fault of the google apps. Is there a newer / more stable google-bits pack available? (My guess: nope)

Also: Too bad it doesn't have the multitouch HTC browser. That is the best thing HTC has come up with...

Guest jnwhiteh
Good rom, but I have three main gripes after 4 days of use.

- Random slowdowns. No matter what app, or how many processes / tasks are running: CPU behaviour is not cool. 100+mb free doesn't help. Having 4 tasks (net loc, keyboard, dailer, home) doesn't help.

I would suggest downloading Process Manager and OS Monitor to take a look at the actual runtime CPU usage of your device.. but there are other issues going on.. as you'll see.

- Headphones don't work: No 3.5jack sensing, no bleutooth.

This is the first I've heard of any issues with the 3.5" headphone jack. I'll look into it.

- email / gmail / rss / netlocation don't update. Unless you 'prod' them: start gmail, and suddenly you get the notification. Go to mail and i'll auto fetch mail, not while in background. Weather / timezone apps don't change unless you refresh manually...

This is not an issue you have with my ROM if you're running the latest versions. The versions listed on the main page are correct and I've verified that push notifications most certainly work. I am almost 100% positive this is the source of most of your problems.

Also: Too bad it doesn't have the multitouch HTC browser. That is the best thing HTC has come up with...

Any particular reason you dont' just download the multitouch browser update.zip that Cyanogen released that works perfectly out of the box with this ROM? =)

This is not an issue you have with my ROM if you're running the latest versions. The versions listed on the main page are correct and I've verified that push notifications most certainly work. I am almost 100% positive this is the source of most of your problems.

I have experienced this too (both weather and mail). Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't...

Could this be caused by my task killer which kills all apps at a set frequency. I've noticed that the alarm from the Clock app doesn't go off unless the app is running and assumed it is something similar. (why can't it just tell the system to start itself at the time of the alarm??)

Been using r5 beta2 a few days now and it is really nice. It's like I've bought a new better phone now that all the HTC stuff is gone. :)

Not sure if I've done something wrong while installing the rom or something, but so far I've noticed two issues.

1. Battery lifetime seems shorter compared to original HTC rom. With the original rom the battery would be at ~20-30% when I go to bed, now the phone is dead a few hours earlier. I don't think my usage pattern has changed much.

2. I'm getting soft resets every now and then. Yesterday while browsing a web page, and this morning while listening to Google Listen. Is there anything I can look for in the logs to track this down?

I think, I was not paying an attention to this before. Do I understand, that no kernel source available for 2.1 ROMS, other then that a leaked binary kernel from HTC?

If so, It sucks badly, and all those 2.1 ROMS always will be just a playground, with loads of bugs. :)

P.S. I was wondering why devs just can not fix this bug or that bug, now I understand.

Edited by Unika

Guest karumbo
and all those 2.1 ROMS always will be just a playground, with loads of bugs. :)

Not always, just until HTC release the kernel source, which they will have an obligation too do so once they ship the 2.1 update. Once that ships then things will improve dramatically.