AOSP Eclair 2.1 r4 for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Guest jnwhiteh

jnwhiteh is proud to present the first working AOSP Eclair 2.1 ROM for HTC Hero (GSM). The sources for 2.1 dropped last night and based on a cleanup of the community vendor tree I was able to get it built and mostly working. Thanks to kiall and loxdev for their contributions to the vendor tree.

The Android Open Source Project (AOSP) is the public, open-source repository used by Google and phone carriers and manufacturer's to power their phones. It lags significantly behind the 'private' repository used by those companies, but the updates do come eventually. This is a ROM build directly from those sources, with bugfixes and (the occasional) enhancement along the way.

First, the bad news. There is no working Launcher2 (nexus launcher) in this ROM, and Live Wallpapers are a bit of a minefield. These are issues that we hope to resolve in the future, but do not expect to see them compiled from source any time soon. You may be able to drop some other .apks into place to make them work, but that's up to you! The only Live Wallpapers that I was able to get working were the Grass and the Water ones. But.. by selecting them your Android will basically 'reboot' itself, without having to reboot the whole phone. This is disruptive, not nice.. but it's the behaviour we have at the moment.

The good news is, this ROM seems to be much more stable than all of the previous ROMs, because the quality of the code is simply better.. and with a massive reorganisation of the vendor tree, much cleaner.

Please perform a nandroid backup before installing this ROM

What works

• Making calls
  • 3G/GPRS
  • Wifi
  • Network location (both cell and wifi)
  • Trackball
  • Market including ALL applications
  • Accelerometer
  • Lights
  • GPS
  • Bluetooth
  • Camera (only works at 3MP resolution or lower)
  • Voice transcription option on keyboard
  • Live wallpapers from Market
    • A2DP - Bluetooth audio during phone calls
    • Camera at 5 mega-pixel resolution (no working AOSP ROM has this yet)

• Launcher2 does not render properly due to missing mdpi graphics and flexible layout
      • Gallery3D graphics get 'messed up' slightly if you switch orientation. Either one works.. just switching messes it up.

If you are coming from r2 or r1, you should wipe data before installing r3 or greater. This is due to the change in the number of home screens, and a possible force-close with GApps as a result.

Downloads:

[*]aosp-2.1-jnwhiteh-r4.zip

Lox and I have also found a 'unified' Googlebits package that can be used for all AOSP-2.1 based ROMs. It includes all of the relevant applications, many of them being the latest from the Nexus One. My next major project is working on the 'seamless' upgrade of these ROMs, by backing up these 'Google' bits and other proprietary files, so we no longer have to distribute them. This will be even easier once HTC drops their 2.1 ROMs. For now, you will need to re-apply the 'Google' bits every time you re-flash your ROM.

You can download the unified 'Google' bits here: GoogleBits-sdk7-v1.7-signed.zip (RapidShare, Megaupload, DepositFile, HotFile)

If you are using this ROM in the United States, you may want to make the following changes to your build.prop from:

ro.com.android.dateformat=dd-MM-yyyy

ro.com.android.dataroaming=true

ro.ril.hsxpa=2

ro.ril.gprsclass=12
to:
ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy

ro.com.android.dataroaming=true

ro.ril.hsxpa=1

ro.ril.gprsclass=10

What do they change? I have no idea (other than the obvious ones) but you may find they affect the battery life or data quality on your phone.

As always, keep the thread clean so we can help provide support.

[Edit by Paul: An online kitchen for this ROM is now available in post 4 of this topic.]

post-601056-1263414555_thumb.png

post-601056-1263414572_thumb.png

post-601056-1264102838_thumb.png

Edited by Paul

Guest jnwhiteh

Frequently Asked Questions

Why doesn't the Camera work?

Open the Camera application, press menu then settings and set the resolution to 3.0 Megapixels or lower. The current drivers do not support anything higher than this and a 'fix' will most likely have to come from HTC or AOSP directly.

Why is this build laggy

It's not. Lag is a subjective measure that you invent and measure to make yourself feel better. You can speed up the transition animations in the Spare Parts application, and that may get rid of some of the 'lag' you see. You can come to me and tell me about how 'fast' another ROM is for you, but I've used absolutely all of them and they all lag at points in time. Use what makes you the most comfortable.. I'm not trying to convince anyone to use this ROM.

Edited by jnwhiteh

Guest jnwhiteh
Changelog:

AOSP-Eclair-2.1-jnwhiteh-r4:

* Fixed the typo in backup/restore script that stopped contact syncing from working after an update.  You should be able to flash r4 and above on your device without needing to wipe data.

* If you are coming to r3/r4 from an earlier build, I suggest you wipe beforehand.  This should not happen again.

AOSP-Eclair-2.1-jnwhiteh-r3:

* An automatic backup and restore script makes updates seemless

* Brought back the old init.rc to solve the issue with LED notifications

* Changed launcher so it uses five home screens instead of the default three

AOSP-Eclair-2.1-jnwhiteh-r2:

* Added libhtc_ril.so to fix the cell CID issue (network location fix)

* Revised google-bits to actually work properly

AOSP-Eclair-2.1-jnwhiteh-r1:

* Initial release of AOSP-2.1

* Massive changes to vendor tree in order to provide a cleaner ROM

* Live wallpapers are 'supported', but choosing them and using them is not for the faint hearted.

* The Launcher2 (Nexus One launcher) is not available yet, due to it only being designed for high-resolution devices

Edited by jnwhiteh

With jnwhiteh's kind permission, an online kitchen is now available for this ROM!

I will strive to update them kitchen whenever the ROM is updated, but it won't happen instantly, so take note of the version numbers below! Also, if you have issues with a ROM you have baked in the kitchen, please check whether you can replicate the issue in the standard ROM before seeking help!

Enjoy! :)

P

Note: the online kitchen is currently only available to my MoDaCo premium members (those who have signed up to MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus) as it is not yet running on an infrastructure that can support a huge number of users. This will be the case for the foreseeable future as the kitchen system is developed.

Update: the online kitchen is now running on new dedicated hardware. Please bear with us as we tune performance and configuration and report any issues via PM!

http://kitchen.romraid.com/bake.php' method='post'>

AOSP 2.1 by jnwhiteh r4 for Hero online kitchen

This kitchen has already generated [kitchenstatisticsnew]r4-aosp-2.1-jnwhiteh-r4-kitchen[/kitchenstatisticsnew]

Click the options below to select what you would like in your ROM, then click the 'Bake' button at the bottom of the list. Yes, it really is that simple. :)

Core r4 Required Files

Core r4 Required Files

• These are the files that form the core of the ROM and you must have!
Core r4 Options
calculator.png

Calculator installed to /system partition
  • This option includes the Calculator application.
email.png

Email installed to /system partition
  • This option includes the Email application (for non-Gmail accounts).
livewallpapers.png

Live Wallpapers installed to /system partition
  • This option includes the Live Wallpapers.
music.png

Music installed to /system partition
  • This option includes the Music application.

Sound Recorder installed to /system partition
  • This option includes the Sound Recorder application.
spareparts.png

Spare Parts installed to /system partition
  • This option includes the Spare parts application.
voicedialer.png

Voice Dialer installed to /system partition

• This option includes the Voice Dialer application.
Google Bits 1.7 Required Files

Google Bits 1.7 Required Files

[*]You must select this option if you choose any of the 'Google Bits' options below!

Google Bits 1.7 Options
    facebook.png

Facebook installed to /system partition

[*]This option includes the Facebook application.

maps.png

Maps installed to /data partition

[*]This option includes the Google Maps application.

newsandweather.png

News and Weather installed to /system partition

[*]This option includes the News and Weather application and associated widget.

voicesearch.png

Voice Search installed to /system partition

[*]This option includes the Voice Search application.

youtube.png

YouTube installed to /system partition

[*]This option includes the YouTube application.

Click the image below to a ROM update zip tailored to your choices..

The online kitchen implements a queueing system which means your cooking time varies depending on the sever load. Please be patient! :)

Very good ROM, everything looks fast ! :)

About BT headset, it works to listen music, but not working with the Phone app, no sound, no mic.

Someone else have some troubles with Network Location ? In Google Maps and Genie Widget (Weather), it doesn't work :)

Anyway, nice job, it works great :)

Guest isMaskin

Excellent!

Market works for me, can find all my paid apps and see all other apps i want to see.

Camera works with 3mp and lower. This rom is the best 2.x so far, no doubt.

Some things though (don't know if this is becuase process prio issues)

1. Spotify halts while browser is loading a page.

2. App launcher and homesreen are not as smooth as on HTC 1.5 (like all the other 2.x roms).

Guest jnwhiteh

About BT headset, it works to listen music, but not working with the Phone app, no sound, no mic.

Someone else have some troubles with Network Location ? In Google Maps and Genie Widget (Weather), it doesn't work :)

Could you supply an excerpt from an adb logcat? The application works just fine for me, if you're using the one I link in te post above.

Market works for me, can find all my paid apps and see all other apps i want to see.

Camera works with 3mp and lower. This rom is the best 2.x so far, no doubt.

Some things though (don't know if this is becuase process prio issues)

1. Spotify halts while browser is loading a page.

2. App launcher and homesreen are not as smooth as on HTC 1.5 (like all the other 2.x roms).

Not sure with Spotify, I'll try to take a look at it. We're also looking at the speed.. but this is just a first iteration that we'd then further optimize. Thanks for the feedback.

Guest Club-Mobile

Anyway, nice job, it works great :)

I've no problems with Network Location.

Guest Oletros
Could you supply an excerpt from an adb logcat? The application works just fine for me, if you're using the one I link in te post above.

If you'r referring to Network location. For me works only with WIFI, with cell data doesn't work.

Not sure with Spotify, I'll try to take a look at it. We're also looking at the speed.. but this is just a first iteration that we'd then further optimize. Thanks for the feedback.

When webkit is used Spotify stutters, but in any ROM I've tried, not only this.

Guest geovass
Yes, but could you be specific about what is and isn't working? Can you pair with the headset? Is it the audio itself that doesn't work? If so, that is listed in the 'not working' list above and we're working on the issue.

Yes, this is exactly what is happening. In most cases it pairs ok, but the audio doesn't transfer to the headset.

Edited by geovass

Guest jnwhiteh
Already supplied via Twitter, but here it is : http://pastebin.ca/1750141

Tried with GSM and Wifi, not working.

Just to be clear.. you're using the NetworkLocation.apk from the zip I link in the above post? Would you mind adb pull-ing it down and getting the MD5 checksum for the file.. just for a sanity check?

Guest jnwhiteh
Yes, this is exactly what is happening. I most cases it pairs ok, but the audio doesn't transfer to the headset.

Thanks, I know where this issue is coming from (or I suspect), but I haven't been able to figure it out yet. I'll keep working on it.

Just to be clear.. you're using the NetworkLocation.apk from the zip I link in the above post? Would you mind adb pull-ing it down and getting the MD5 checksum for the file.. just for a sanity check?

Yes, flashed -r2 then google bits.

Here is the md5sum : d5ff20d69b0ec65e4339babec4d3cd26

Edited by gromez

Guest jnwhiteh
Yes, flashed -r2 then google bits.

Here is the md5suml : d5ff20d69b0ec65e4339babec4d3cd26

Very very weird. Do you have a ROM that it worked for you previously? If so, you might try pulling that .apk and seeing if it will work for you. If so, we'll find one that works for all of us =)

Guest Oletros
Very very weird. Do you have a ROM that it worked for you previously? If so, you might try pulling that .apk and seeing if it will work for you. If so, we'll find one that works for all of us =)

In theory I'm using 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26 Radio ROM but in About screen it says 63.18.55.06JH_6.35.09.26. Is this normal?

As I said Network location via wifi works, via cell no. Weird

Guest jnwhiteh
In theory I'm using 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26 Radio ROM but in About screen it says 63.18.55.06JH_6.35.09.26. Is this normal?

As I said Network location via wifi works, via cell no. Weird

That's weird.. it reports a different radio than the one you actually have installed? How weird! Actually I'm showing the same radio that you are. I'm about to flash another radio on top to see if it changes.

Confirmed. I just flashed a new radio, and it's still showing the JH radio. Bizarre, we'll have to look into it. I now see the same when I go back to MCR 3.1 Can anyone else confirm this?

Edited by jnwhiteh

Guest jnwhiteh
I cant get googlebits weblink to work.. can you use another site, or ftp?

Maybe someone else can mirror them, but I don't want to get into the business of hosting the google apps. If someone creates a mirror for that (the ROM itself is on my server and doesn't need a mirror) then I'll post it in the original post.

Guest Club-Mobile
That's weird.. it reports a different radio than the one you actually have installed? How weird! Actually I'm showing the same radio that you are. I'm about to flash another radio on top to see if it changes.

Confirmed. I just flashed a new radio, and it's still showing the JH radio. Bizarre, we'll have to look into it. I now see the same when I go back to MCR 3.1 Can anyone else confirm this?

Yes, I can confirm this. Same happens on my device when I switch back to MCR.