AOSP Eclair 2.1 r4 for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

1. This is not an issue that everyone is experiencing, see the prior discussion regarding NetworkLocation.apk.

2. The charging light is orange when the device is not full, but it changes green as soon as it is. This is as it has always been..

Network Location doesn´t work for me too. It works with Wifi on, but not with GSM/3G. Installed Googlebits you suggested.

Also Battery drains a way faster, not sure why, i`am testing Overclock Widget to set the Cpu Freq to min:128 max:254 while sleep, will report back.

Anyway this is a great Rom!! Thx for your work!

Guest jnwhiteh
Network Location doesn´t work for me too. It works with Wifi on, but not with GSM/3G. Installed Googlebits you suggested.

Also Battery drains a way faster, not sure why, i`am testing Overclock Widget to set the Cpu Freq to min:128 max:254 while sleep, will report back.

Anyway this is a great Rom!! Thx for your work!

Guys, just telling me it 'drains battery way faster' doesn't tell me a damn thing. You need to look at Settings -> About -> Battery use and see what is using the battery, and you can also look at Spare Parts -> Battery History to get more information. This is a stock AOSP build, so you're going to see exactly the same battery usage between this or KaguDroid or anything else based on AOSP. Please provide more information.

Guys, just telling me it 'drains battery way faster' doesn't tell me a damn thing. You need to look at Settings -> About -> Battery use and see what is using the battery, and you can also look at Spare Parts -> Battery History to get more information. This is a stock AOSP build, so you're going to see exactly the same battery usage between this or KaguDroid or anything else based on AOSP. Please provide more information.

Main battery use for me is "Handy-Standby". Mabye its the same Battery use as KaguDroid. This my first 2.x Rom, so i´ve nothing to compare.

Guest jnwhiteh
Main battery use for me is "Handy-Standby". Mabye its the same Battery use as KaguDroid. This my first 2.x Rom, so i´ve nothing to compare.

That sounds like an application, and thus wouldn't be the fault of the ROM.

Guest jnwhiteh

Let's do this. If you are planning on reporting issues with battery consumption, you'll need to do the following. Only report when you have had the device consistently unplugged for a period of time from a 100% charge.

Battery Voltage (from Spare Parts -> Battery Info)

Battery Level (from Spare Parts -> Battery Info)

Battery Health (from Spare Parts -> Battery Info)

Time since last unplugged (From Settings -> About -> Battery Use)

Additionally, you should report the top three items listed on the Battery Use screen.

Let's get some real numbers and compare them against other ROMs, rather than what we have right now.

Guest Vido.Ardes

I have done some more testing with the network location problem and I cannot get it to work. I have tried:

- Reinstalling the googlebits update

- Installing the Networklocation.apk from the zip seperatly (the md5 of this file is: D5FF20D69B0EC65E4339BABEC4D3CD26)

- Wiping the device and reinstalling the ROM + Googlebits

None of which have enabled the network location feature. I am running a T-Mobile G2 with Amon RA's 1.5.2 recovery, using the 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26 Radio (showing as 63.18.55.06JH_6.35.09.26) in the phone. I am using the latest release of this ROM (r4)

Are there any more suggestions for things I can try?

Guest jnwhiteh
I have done some more testing with the network location problem and I cannot get it to work. I have tried:

- Reinstalling the googlebits update

- Installing the Networklocation.apk from the zip seperatly (the md5 of this file is: D5FF20D69B0EC65E4339BABEC4D3CD26)

- Wiping the device and reinstalling the ROM + Googlebits

None of which have enabled the network location feature. I am running a T-Mobile G2 with Amon RA's 1.5.2 recovery, using the 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26 Radio (showing as 63.18.55.06JH_6.35.09.26) in the phone. I am using the latest release of this ROM (r4)

Are there any more suggestions for things I can try?

Yes, use NetworkLocation.apk from other sources.. 2.0.1 AOSP, HERO21, Nexus, Milestone, etc.

Guest rico2k_uk

i like this rom quite a bit - needs some optimizations, but thats life! Only thing i really miss is the htc hero keypad t9 style. Tried betterkeyboard and well its rubbish.

Guest jnwhiteh
i like this rom quite a bit - needs some optimizations, but thats life! Only thing i really miss is the htc hero keypad t9 style. Tried betterkeyboard and well its rubbish.

You can flash that LatinIME.apk from another ROM, if you'd like. You may need to resign it, but it should work just fine.

Guest String Theory

Couldn't resist installing this rom after all. Found two little things:

- Browser has old icon.. how come?

- When receiving a call the screen sometimes stays black, so I can't see who's calling me.

I'll keep on testing, will report when I find new things.

Edited by String Theory

1. This is not an issue that everyone is experiencing, see the prior discussion regarding NetworkLocation.apk.

2. The charging light is orange when the device is not full, but it changes green as soon as it is. This is as it has always been..

for some reason my charging light is green while charging, its orange on other roms like you state, dont know why i`m getting this issue.

very strange

Guest jnwhiteh
Couldn't resist installing this rom after all. Found two little things:

- Browser has old icon.. how come?

- When receiving a call the screen sometimes stays black, so I can't see who's calling me.

I'll keep on testing, will report when I find new things.

The browser has the icon that's in AOSP source. I don't know anything about a new icon, since its not in the repository. I haven't seen the black screen issue on calling, would appreciate if you or anyone can give me more info.

for some reason my charging light is green while charging, its orange on other roms like you state, dont know why i`m getting this issue.

very strange

Bizarre.. let me know what you find out.

Guest Vido.Ardes
Yes, use NetworkLocation.apk from other sources.. 2.0.1 AOSP, HERO21, Nexus, Milestone, etc.

Right I have tried networklocation.apk from MoDaCo 3.1, ASOP 2.0.1 and ASOP 1.6 and I have also tried an APK that is supposedly from 2.1 that I found on XDA. I am still getting the same error. Has any one found an APK that they can get to work yet?

Guest jnwhiteh
Right I have tried networklocation.apk from MoDaCo 3.1, ASOP 2.0.1 and ASOP 1.6 and I have also tried an APK that is supposedly from 2.1 that I found on XDA. I am still getting the same error. Has any one found an APK that they can get to work yet?

Let's try another method then.. what 2.x roms does network location work for you (using GPS only, as the wifi appears to work for pretty much everyone).

Guest Vido.Ardes
Let's try another method then.. what 2.x roms does network location work for you (using GPS only, as the wifi appears to work for pretty much everyone).

GPS Location works, it's the corse location which doesn't. It worked fine on MoDaCo 3.1 and ASOP 2.0.1 which are the only customer ROM's I have used

Hy all.

I'm coming from KaguDroid, and just installed this ROM.

For some reason I can't understand, on KaguDroid, Voice search was enabled (with a microphone button shown on the right of the Google Search widget), but not on this ROM.

Is this a matter of setting, or a missing apk file ...

Thank you for your help, and, once again, THANK YOU FOR THIS AWESOME WORK YOU DO !!!

Guest rico2k_uk
You can flash that LatinIME.apk from another ROM, if you'd like. You may need to resign it, but it should work just fine.

and...errr... how does one do that?

Guest jnwhiteh
GPS Location works, it's the corse location which doesn't. It worked fine on MoDaCo 3.1 and ASOP 2.0.1 which are the only customer ROM's I have used

Yes, yes, I meant Cell location, rather than GPS. Stupid of me =) If you get a chance to test KaguDroid and HERO21, I'd be interested to see if it works there.

Hy all.

I'm coming from KaguDroid, and just installed this ROM.

For some reason I can't understand, on KaguDroid, Voice search was enabled (with a microphone button shown on the right of the Google Search widget), but not on this ROM.

Is this a matter of setting, or a missing apk file ...

Thank you for your help, and, once again, THANK YOU FOR THIS AWESOME WORK YOU DO !!!

It's a missing apk file, feel free to add it it. It's a google proprietary app, so I can't bundle it with the ROM itself.

and...errr... how does one do that?

If you need to ask, I'm not really prepared to answer that unfortunately. You'd need to use adb from the Android SDK to push the file to your phone, and use adb logcat to monitor what happens when you push it. There may be some tutorials somewhere, however.

Guest rico2k_uk

ahh.. i found out myself. Its not LatinIME but HTC_IME.apk. also, its not configurable as will crash on setup, but will be usable as a qwerty keybord. Needs starting by changing keyboard types in config.

Guest jnwhiteh
ahh.. i found out myself. Its not LatinIME but HTC_IME.apk. also, its not configurable as will crash on setup, but will be usable as a qwerty keybord. Needs starting by changing keyboard types in config.

Ah yeah, my typo.

Guest lecmmada

Has anyone had any luck importing certificate files onto the phone (like .pem, .cer, .p12) to use for WPA Enterprise? I just came from the jnwhiteh Hero AOSP 2.0.1-r6 ROM, and I used a variation of the instructions at http://www.mail-archive.com/android-securi...m/msg00520.html to host the certificate on my webserver to import the certificate via my browser. However, when I browse to my certificate at http://lecmmada.mine.nu/certificate.php I just get one of those "Sorry, we couldn't find ..." from my ISP, which then has sponsored links from my ISP. If I browse to the same site on my desktop, the certificate file is downloaded just fine. Importing the certificate in AOSP 2.0.1-R6 ROM worked great, but I can't seem to figure it out on this ROM.

Also, if I go to Settings -> Location and Security -> Install from SD card, this does nothing now. In the AOSP 2.0.1-R6 ROM, this allowed me to import .p12 certificate files. So, the fact that there is no response to me clicking Install from SD card leads me to believe that there's a missing component in the source to allow certificate imports.

Guest jnwhiteh
Has anyone had any luck importing certificate files onto the phone (like .pem, .cer, .p12) to use for WPA Enterprise? I just came from the jnwhiteh Hero AOSP 2.0.1-r6 ROM, and I used a variation of the instructions at http://www.mail-archive.com/android-securi...m/msg00520.html to host the certificate on my webserver to import the certificate via my browser. However, when I browse to my certificate at http://lecmmada.mine.nu/certificate.php I just get one of those "Sorry, we couldn't find ..." from my ISP, which then has sponsored links from my ISP. If I browse to the same site on my desktop, the certificate file is downloaded just fine. Importing the certificate in AOSP 2.0.1-R6 ROM worked great, but I can't seem to figure it out on this ROM.

Also, if I go to Settings -> Location and Security -> Install from SD card, this does nothing now. In the AOSP 2.0.1-R6 ROM, this allowed me to import .p12 certificate files. So, the fact that there is no response to me clicking Install from SD card leads me to believe that there's a missing component in the source to allow certificate imports.

It's possible, I'll be updating to master and pulling in new source as it becomes available.. so we'll see.

Does A2SD work on this rom? and does linking contacts to facebook profiles work?

I don't know why any Hero user uses A2SD, and I haven't tested. In theory, it's possible since Lox's stuff is here. There's an executable you can use to enable it. As for facebook, it does not appear the facebook app on the market properly syncs with AOSP eclair.