Rom Dump/Build Application

Guest wes58

Guest maldonj1
Qualquer, yes you cant cook a cooked rom, i dont know why but, you cant, maybe when you pack it, it protect the rom....

é cara, eu fiz o teste, peguei rom do secany, dumpei do meu cel, dei dump nela pra ter as pastas sys/rom/oem e depois sem mudar nada dei build e tentei instalar no meu cel e dumpar/fazer mesma coisa no começo e deu erro

wow that was my problem, i was trying to recook a cooked rom, where can i find a RAW rom? i have the i920_WM6.5_21863_OEM_STOCK.nbo, i'd like to get the samsung updated rom as a base to start with

Edited by maldonj1

Guest aol1978

wes58 hi, I did all the steps I have a super strike big question

I use the hex editor as not to understand about ff's. if it could by

Please guide as I use it novice thanks

excuse my English

Edited by aol1978

Guest defaultBR
wes58 hi, I did all the steps I have a super strike big question

I use the hex editor as not to understand about ff's. if it could by

Please guide as I use it novice thanks

excuse my English

i think i can answer this..... the way that i cooked, you dont need to edit the FFs, wes tool do it automaticaly.....i think for a novice, we have only to use the text editor, put in the settings the notepad.exe(windows folder) its basic but better to edit text =)!!!

you did all the process, and now you are in the "edit process"(remove, add etc..) i will tell only to add, i dont know the correct way of adding things(.cabs)..

you want to delete the podcast and podcast files/references for example, search for podcast in windows search to search INTO the FILES....

whattotouch.jpg

take everything that have podcast, and the files that is in the image, make list of everything, to get the control, only =P

now lets go file by file, search for podcast.exe using windows search into files

whattotouch2.jpg

after deleted the files open the mxip....provxml and search for podcast.exe

whattotouch3.jpg

Delete all the line <parm name="16" value="Podcast.exe" datatype="string" />

search for more(probably you will not find nothing more with podcast.exe, you can do the search for .png and the .lnk file, but if you want to do a step by step without chance of missing something ;P, do search for each file in windows search)

go to the other file icon_podcast.png (example only) (you dont have to do in this order, that the order that im doing, better is to do looking in the ""Control File"")

whattotouch4.jpg

delete <parm name="16" value="@menuimage-\Windows\icon_podcast.png" datatype="string" />

search for more, if nothing return, go to others files, and do the same process, other file example, without image, if you search for podcast.png you will get this in the mxip.....provxml

<characteristic type="HKLM\Security\Shell\StartInfo\start\Podcast.lnk">

<parm name="Icon" value="\Windows\start_podcast.png" datatype="string" />

<parm name="Rank" value="899999700" datatype="integer" />

</characteristic>

delete everthing, and take a look if you have in the control file the podcast.lnk(its the shortcut) and the start_podcast.png, if you dont have one, write in the control to search....

save the files that you edited

start build rom, in ext reloc, only press to realoc imgfs modules, than save .vm and .rom, close ext reloc and wait till it do the newpda.nb0

PS: DONT FORGET THE initflashfiles, sometimes it have references too ;)

PS²: ITS THE Way that i do, it works for me, i dont know if someone have a better/fast way to do this things ;(, if have, let me know please ;D:D:D:D:D

PS³: BETTER WAY TO HAVE CONTROL FILE IS TO USING WES TOOL, MAKE A LOG OF FOLDER AND FILES YOU DELETED, AND SEARCH FOR REFERENCES LATER =)

i will edit it later, to help more, i thinks its a quite confusing ;(

Edited by defaultBR

Can you add "all_packages_to_one" to execute commands?

I could do it but why really do you want it? I know that I have a problem running it now.

It worked before so I am not sure what I am missing or what I changed.

So if you and other people that use it want, I can do that.

First of all thanks Wes for your hard work ;), I am starting using your kitchen right now, I want to port a new os version so I extracted imgfs.bin into packages and xip.bin into modules. After I copied the new xip.bin from the new os in the folder \xipTools\xipNewOS, I deleted all files and folder from sys folder in the dumped folder except .vm and metadata, then I copied all the files and folders of the new os (except the xip.bin, .vm and metadata folders obviously) into the sys folder then I checked the following options:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9426/immaginekm.jpg

pressed run and when arrived at buildos I pressed run (green arrow) and I got this error:

error processing: sys/adc_lang_405 the file temp/dump/wc_adc.wcml already exists

don't know what is my mistake. Wes can you give me some hints to direct me on the right way (maybe is a noob error)?

Edited by kibiwi

Guest defaultBR

kibiwi, try to delete the dump folder...

this error occurs when you have the same file in different places(in this case the wc_adc.wcml, so when it move everything to dump folder it cause this error)...

are you using another build? im my JA5 base build dont have the folder adc_lang_405, btw, try to search where is the another wc_adc.wcml and delete it... only leave the wc_adc.wcml of the adc_lang_405 =]!!!

and try again

Edited by defaultBR

kibiwi, try to delete the dump folder...

this error occurs when you have the same file in different places(in this case the wc_adc.wcml, so when it move everything to dump folder it cause this error)...

are you using another build? im my JA5 base build dont have the folder adc_lang_405, btw, try to search where is the another wc_adc.wcml and delete it... only leave the wc_adc.wcml of the adc_lang_405 =]!!!

and try again

solved I found double file in the sys folder that caused the problem thanks for the hint ;)

Edited by kibiwi

new problem arises with buildos ;) when it starts processing the oem\oemdrivers I get the error the destination file temp\dump\simtkit.dll is a directory not a file. This time what's wrong...

Edited by kibiwi

new problem arises with buildos ;) when it starts processing the oem\oemdrivers I get the error the destination file temp\dump\simtkit.dll is a directory not a file. This time what's wrong...

You are porting a new OS and in new OS sys folder there is a module (folder) called SIM_TKit, another copy of this is in OEM\oemdrivers. If you get a message like this you just have to look for duplicates. Simply delete the one in Sys folder.

Sometimes with new os you will have in sys folder something like this BaseAppsFiles and BaseAppsModules which means that you have two versions of the same files but in different format you have to delete one.

Edited by wes58

First of all thanks Wes for your hard work ;), I am starting using your kitchen right now, I want to port a new os version so I extracted imgfs.bin into packages and xip.bin into modules. After I copied the new xip.bin from the new os in the folder \xipTools\xipNewOS, I deleted all files and folder from sys folder in the dumped folder except .vm and metadata, then I copied all the files and folders of the new os (except the xip.bin, .vm and metadata folders obviously) into the sys folder then I checked the following options:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9426/immaginekm.jpg

pressed run and when arrived at buildos I pressed run (green arrow) and I got this error:

error processing: sys/adc_lang_405 the file temp/dump/wc_adc.wcml already exists

don't know what is my mistake. Wes can you give me some hints to direct me on the right way (maybe is a noob error)?

As I wrote in a post above you just have to look for duplicates.

When I port new OS the only thing that I leave from the existing OS are .ROM and .VM folders, the rest of files are replaced with the sys from new os.

I don't know why you want to keep metadata from your original rom? Metadata folder has information about packages that are in sys folder so you should use the new one.

Edited by wes58

As I wrote in a post above you just have to look for duplicates.

When I port new OS the only thing that I leave from the existing OS are .ROM and .VM folders, the rest of files are replaced with the sys from new os.

I don't know why you want to keep metadata from your original rom? Metadata folder has information about packages that are in sys folder so you should use the new one.

Thanx Wes I fixed the duplicates in sys folder but I didn't know that duplicates can arise between oem folder and sys folder. I understood the problem so I am working in that way...for a noob these hints are very precious even if obvious for others... ;)

Guest defaultBR

wes, can you add to do this command when it finish the dump of the pda? so it will automatically everydump, remove read only, invisible file, or windows protection

attrib *.* -A -S -R -H /S /D

so it do this command in the folder that are the dumped sys/oem and others files, like i8000NXXJA5 folder or other version that you dump

wes, can you add to do this command when it finish the dump of the pda? so it will automatically everydump, remove read only, invisible file, or windows protection

attrib *.* -A -S -R -H /S /D

so it do this command in the folder that are the dumped sys/oem and others files, like i8000NXXJA5 folder or other version that you dump

Do you know how many files are in sys folder? Over 3600. I don't really see the need to do it. You are not going to modify all the files. You can enable in your windows explorer to show hidden, system files and then you will see them all. It's much easier.

If you want to edit the file, for example rgu, and you are using in my application's tab sys\oem mod, when you click on the button Text Editor it will change the attributes from read only to archive and open the file so you can modify it. You don't need to change attributes for all the files.

Guest defaultBR
Do you know how many files are in sys folder? Over 3600. I don't really see the need to do it. You are not going to modify all the files. You can enable in your windows explorer to show hidden, system files and then you will see them all. It's much easier.

hmmm understood, btw i said it coz here its a 1sec o0, click and all the files in one sec have attrb changed...

its a taste of each one =\, i prefer to see all files unhide, unsecure... so i dont have to worry about that

If you want to edit the file, for example rgu, and you are using in my application's tab sys\oem mod, when you click on the button Text Editor it will change the attributes from read only to archive and open the file so you can modify it. You don't need to change attributes for all the files.

good to know this, thanks...

Edited by defaultBR

I successfully cooked my first rom wm 6.5.5 build 23529 thank wes and defaultBR I managed to solve some buildos errors...

Wes the kitchen can manage itself the wm timebomb or we have to patch it manually?

a suggestion for kitchen future releases could be the ability to change the pagepool of the rom (only for easiness ;) )

Edited by kibiwi

I successfully cooked my first rom wm 6.5.5 build 23529 thank wes and defaultBR I managed to solve some buildos errors...

Wes the kitchen can manage itself the wm timebomb or we have to patch it manually?

a suggestion for kitchen future releases could be the ability to change the pagepool of the rom (only for easiness ;) )

To answer your questions:

1. duplicates in sys, oem.

That's why you have an option to create a log file in sys\oem mods tab. You create a log file for files that you delete (you have to do it once and reuse it for later roms) and then just delete the files. If you didn't create a log before deleting files you can create it manually. Log files are just a text file - folder name has to be enclosed in [ ]. Sorry, but you have to do some work manually. There aren't so many duplicates (at least I didn't have in the latest os). The same you can do with language folder, resolution etc.

2. As far as deleting modules in XIP I only included 2 which, by reading about them on the net, I thought they are safe to delete. I could add others but I won't take responsibility if xip doesn't work. So it's up to you.

3. "Time Bomb" - it only come with certain roms. I don't do anything with it. It's only registry editing. You have an option to edit registry file with a single click of the button. It's in sys\shell\1f1aca24-d942-464a-9281-10567741499c.rgu

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\DeviceBeta]

"Today"="Beta"

"Expiry"="Expires: %02d/%02d/%04d"

"About"="- BETA"

4. There is an option in osnbtool to change page pool. It shows you the address where it changes the bits. I tried it but it didn't work. I am not sure how Pako is doing it because he hasn't released his tool yet. If he found another way, good on him.

By the way, I noticed that you edited you post just when I replied to it.

I also added a button to start Octans Downloader - see version 1.6.2 in first post.

Edited by wes58

By the way, I noticed that you edited you post just when I replied to it.

I also added a button to start Octans Downloader - see version 1.6.2 in first post.

:D Yup. I solved the problems of double files/modules and they are as you said not so much (even if it is very annoying the first time to manage...). Btw very comprehensive reply. Your kitchen is almost perfect simple and powerful, I will try the last release and report if I find any bug ;) . For the pagepool let's see what pako's tool can do (btw if he wants to release it); I think he worked on the eboots cause the last rom came with a less samsung reserved ram and he comparing the last eboot with olders has discovered what is the trick (almost this is what I understood :( )

Edited by kibiwi

Guest defaultBR

=), im happy to helped someone ^^ =)!!!

3. "Time Bomb" - it only come with certain roms. I don't do anything with it. It's only registry editing. You have an option to edit registry file with a single click of the button. It's in sys\shell\1f1aca24-d942-464a-9281-10567741499c.rgu

"Today"="Beta"

"Expiry"="Expires: %02d/%02d/%04d"

"About"="- BETA"

try for this, lol, i didnt knew this, when i see in some thread like "custom rom xxxxxxx...timebombed" lol i throught that it was a difficult, serios, something that guys without a lot of cooking experience cant cook.... its only a "trick"

thanks so much, for this help =)

Guest defaultBR

lol, without porting xip/os i got success in building rom, but in new os, i got stucked at Omnia 2 LOGO ¬¬

what a did:

xip.bin(from 6.5.5) in xipnewOS folder

xip.bin(from 6.5, rom dump xip) in xipORG folder

SYS: only left .rom, .vm folders from the old os

from the new sys, i got all the folder that had in the old os + riched20, webview, + SYSTEM_DEFAULT_FONTS

in ROMtool.exe

fuckingm.jpg

in extr reloc, press realloc imgfs modules than save .vm .rom, close

and it sucessfull made the pda, but it wont startup, stucked at samsung omnia II logo

why the hell?

ARGH

Guest Gary Crutcher
lol, without porting xip/os i got success in building rom, but in new os, i got stucked at Omnia 2 LOGO ¬¬

what a did:

xip.bin(from 6.5.5) in xipnewOS folder

xip.bin(from 6.5, rom dump xip) in xipORG folder

SYS: only left .rom, .vm folders from the old os

from the new sys, i got all the folder that had in the old os + riched20, webview, + SYSTEM_DEFAULT_FONTS

in ROMtool.exe

in extr reloc, press realloc imgfs modules than save .vm .rom, close

and it sucessfull made the pda, but it wont startup, stucked at samsung omnia II logo

why the hell?

ARGH

If you leave RomTool set to its default settings, everything works fine.

I have made 4 custom roms and all have worked correctly using Wes58's tool.