21/May r15 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for Nexus One with Online Kitchen - EPF30 Eclair

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest teknologist
Ahhhh,

That's what i say two pages before.

Now you know, what i mean and this is correct.

It drains out the battery.

I'm surprised, that you have this problems, too.

Yes you were right sir ! Well sort of...

I think it's because of the coloured Trackball

That's not exactly the case, as far as I have noticed the colored LED itself doesn't kill the battery ! It's the hack that make it appear sequentially that does ! These are 2 completely different hacks (see the changelog)

When you don't have multiple different notification colors it doesn't happen and it didn't for me before. Seems tonight I got hammered with Gmails, Emails, SMS etc. ;-)

As per general battery life, I did achieve 26hrs even with this huge battery drain tonight ! ;-)

3G kills the battery ! Stay on Wifi as much as you can guys ! Seems crazy, but Wifi can be a battery saver! :-)

For god sakes change the Wifi Sleep Policy to always ON and turn it on/off manually as you need or automagically using Y5 battery saver or Locale

Bottom line: avoid using 3G when screen turns off (default behavior) especially at night when sleeping... ;-)

BTW, you meant

I'm surprised, that you have this problems, too.
? or I'm NOT surprised... ??? ;-) Edited by teknologist

Guest wjaxxx

For my battery confort... I use 2G network almost all the time.

Only if I have to download something huge or browse the web I use 3G. For normal emails, tweets, facebook, etc etc 2G is more than enough.

Guest navahoo

found a different behaviour compared to the stock rom. when i take the n1 out of the dock with audio support activated, the player starts automaticially!

and the htc_ime error occured to me too, so i´ve uninstalled the apk with adb and it seems that v13 running stable and stopped that annoying popup!!

Edited by navahoo

Guest Formel-LMS
found a diffrent behaviour compared to the stock rom. when i take the n1 out of the dock with audio support activated, the player starts automaticially!

Thats what I mean.

I don't hear music in car, have the nexus connected to car radio (to make some calls)

Now plug out the cable and music starts to play....

Guest DistortedLoop
found a different behaviour compared to the stock rom. when i take the n1 out of the dock with audio support activated, the player starts automaticially!

Yes, as I posted here yesterday, this is a well known issue with the Cyanogen ROM, and since it's happening with MoDaCo, it may just be a Google issue.

I suppose to be sure someone would have to flash the stock ROM and see if they can duplicate the issue. Not too big a deal to test out since you can Nandroid restore after testing.

Are you sure it never happened on the stock ROM? I thought so at first, but I have hazy recollections of some odd behavior with Music player starting up when I first got the phone. At any rate, it's not unique to this MCR ROM.

Guest DistortedLoop
To be honest, I'm still waiting for my N1 (it's stuck at Newark due to the snow...) However, I have a Hero and before that a SE X1. What I've learned about battery usage is that nothing, absolutely nothing, matters as much as network coverage. Having piss poor 3G connection, means your phone constantly tries to reconnect - using far more juice than if your 3G coverage is good.

Case in point. I live in a city with absolutely brilliant 3G coverage. With my Hero I always get through a full day without charging, and that with really heavy use (at least 2 hours of podcasts/music - perhaps an hour on Spotify streaming music, twitter, 3 mail accounts and a heap of RSS-feeds on push/10min updates, a little gaming and quite a bit of surfing, GPS activated but no WiFi. I send about 30 sms and talk say 40 minutes every day). I never have a problem getting through the day except when I'm stuck in the basement at work. There's crappy coverage there, and my phone runs out of battery around 14:00. I get about 10 hours less out of the battery when the coverage is crap.

What does this mean? Well - if your 3G coverage is slightly less than optimal, try forcing 2G only. I find that doing that, and enabling WiFi for data transfer (there's a wireless network in the basement) keeps my phone running longer, although not as long as when coverage is good, and wifi is off. Comparing battery lifetime without comparing both use and network coverage causes confusion only. When I got my X1 (what a beautiful phone, but what a thoroughly useless OS) I had a week of "basement duties", and couldn't for the life of me understand how people on XDA got several days of usage out of their phone. I couldn't event get much past lunchtime. But, come the weekend, everything was good.

So, summing up: check your coverage, and keep a USB cable handy; nowadays there's always a computer to grab some juice from. I've even blitz-charged my Hero on a till in the ticket booth on a ferry. The ticket lady was very sympathetic.

Edit: Less swearing. Sorry. No more "s***" and "badword" from me.

Well, yes of course, that's all pretty obvious stuff if you've owned any kind of iPhone, especially of the 3G/3G variety. I learned with iPhones that you want a USB cable or charger in all the places you frequent. I passed that on to Nexus One before it even arrived; I ordered micro-USB cables for my car, my laptop, my friend's car that I ride with a lot, and I bought a Blackberry 1-amp charger for the office, and two docks for the house when they came available.

I'm pretty sure I specifically said earlier that battery life comparisons are meaningless unless you compare how you use the phone.

Admittedly, my house is in poor 3G coverage area, the phone switches to EDGE 5-6 blocks before I get home, but the bulk of my day is spent in wonderful 4-bar HSDPA 2Mb/s 3G goodness. And the office is where all this drain is occurring.

My point of course being that I understand all these issues, while still trying to reconcile what I consider to be relatively poor battery performance to others who seem to use their phones in similar manners.

Obviously, once I get a solid feel for what I can and can't expect, I'll go back to my iPhone learned habits of docking the phone every chance I get to replenish the battery, and I already carry a spare battery around for those times I'm out and about and might run into charge problems.

As for running around in EDGE all the time, yeah, that's an option, but then what's the point of having a 3G phone? ;-)

Thanks for the feedback.

Guest DistortedLoop
As per general battery life, I did achieve 26hrs even with this huge battery drain tonight ! ;-)

3G kills the battery ! Stay on Wifi as much as you can guys ! Seems crazy, but Wifi can be a battery saver! :-)

For god sakes change the Wifi Sleep Policy to always ON and turn it on/off manually as you need or automagically using Y5 battery saver or Locale

Bottom line: avoid using 3G when screen turns off (default behavior) especially at night when sleeping... ;-)

Okay, you lost me with the WiFi Sleep Policy. Where's the setting for that?

It's ironic that leaving WiFi on would be a battery saver when one of the first things you're told to do to conserve battery is shut down WiFi and bluetooth (clearly the difference here is whether you're connected or not).

26 hours!!!!! I hate you! LOL. Not really, of course, but man, I was running a 2800 mah battery last week, and I'm not sure I'd have gotten that much battery life out of that beast. I might have, actually, I was using 50-60% in about 18 hours...that would extrapolate out to 24 hours +, but on the stock battery, never, unless I left the phone in sleep mode the whole time.

Guest teknologist
Okay, you lost me with the WiFi Sleep Policy. Where's the setting for that?

It's ironic that leaving WiFi on would be a battery saver when one of the first things you're told to do to conserve battery is shut down WiFi and bluetooth (clearly the difference here is whether you're connected or not).

26 hours!!!!! I hate you! LOL. Not really, of course, but man, I was running a 2800 mah battery last week, and I'm not sure I'd have gotten that much battery life out of that beast. I might have, actually, I was using 50-60% in about 18 hours...that would extrapolate out to 24 hours +, but on the stock battery, never, unless I left the phone in sleep mode the whole time.

What I mean is that if you use push/background notifications heavily, like I do, and you are spending most of the time near a Wifi hotspot (ie: office/home), then, avoiding 3G and using Wifi is a battery saver. The example I gave is when I am sleeping @Home (long periods with screen off) . Default N1 behavior is to turn off wifi when screen is off (I think). Therefore if you have 3G coverage at home, ironically, as 3G drains a lot more battery than wifi, when screen is off, you'd kill your battery instead of saving it! ;-)

This is just my personal experience though.

Now I have also read some people saying you need to turn off everything to save battery and I find that simply stupid...I have always everything ON. Why would I buy a 530$ piece of hardware otherwise ???

but then what's the point of having a 3G phone?

-> this is a point where I completely share your point of view !

As per the setting:

Advanced setting when in Wifi Settings (where you see the networks SSID list)

Now, just to make things clear, I don't spend all day long using my phone. Most of the time (if you count all minutes throughout a day!), it's resting screen off. But I guess that's normal behavior right ?

Or are you guys on your phone all day long, disconnected from what's going around you in real life, real people interaction, face to face ?? ;-)

Edited by teknologist

Guest DistortedLoop
What I mean is that if you use push/background notifications heavily, like I do, and you are spending most of the time near a Wifi hotspot (ie: office/home), then, avoiding 3G and using Wifi is a battery saver. The example I gave is when I am sleeping @Home (long periods with screen off) . Default N1 behavior is to turn off wifi when screen is off (I think). Therefore if you have 3G coverage at home, ironically, as 3G drains a lot more battery than wifi, when screen is off, you'd kill your battery instead of saving it! ;-)

This is just my personal experience though.

Now I have also read some people saying you need to turn off everything to save battery and I find that simply stupid...I have always everything ON. Why would I buy a 530$ piece of hardware otherwise ???

As per the setting:

Advanced setting when in Wifi Settings (where you see the networks SSID list)

Now, just to make things clear, I don't spend all day long using my phone. Most of the time (if you count all minutes throughout a day!), it's resting screen off. But I guess that's normal behavior right ?

Or are you guys on your phone all day long, disconnected from what's going around you in real life, real people interaction, face to face ?? ;-)

I think we're all on our computers (not phones) all day long, disconnected from what's going around us in real life, real people interaction, face to face. ;-)

We so all seem to spend an inordinate amount of time in these forums...it's Saturday morning for me, and I should be at the gym instead of reading this stuff. It's Saturday afternoon for you...shouldn't you be out and about or something? LOL

Thanks for the Advanced settings tip...wow, it never occurred to me to hit the menu button while in the settings for WiFi to get more settings. D'oh! There's a few things in there that I thought Android was just missing.

This is one thing I'm going to give the iPhone UI a win over Android on...it's pretty difficult to miss advanced settings on the iPhone, what you see on screen is what's there, there's no need to remember to hit a menu button for more settings when you're on a settings screen! If there's an Advanced Settings item, it's displayed somewhere on the page you're looking at. Not a biggy, but it takes a little paradigm shift in your thinking to adapt to. I'm slow, but I'll get there.

As for crippling our hardware via software to make it functional, absolutely not! We wouldn't be burning custom ROMs onto our phones if we weren't looking for ways to make them do MORE for us, not LESS. <_<

EDIT: All that said, going into WiFi Sleep Policy, mine was already checked as NEVER, so I guess that's default setting anyways, at least in CM5.0.4.1. Still a good tip to check for when I switch back to MCR.

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest Chicaned
update to EPE54B please. <_<

Yeah Paul! Get on the case. On holiday all last week, you should be working full time this weekend to makeup ;-)

Guest Chicaned
Repacking EPE54B now. New MCR Monday. <_<

P

I was only joking mate. You get back to smoking your crack and we'll leave you in peace :mellow:

Guest navahoo
Yes, as I posted here yesterday, this is a well known issue with the Cyanogen ROM, and since it's happening with MoDaCo, it may just be a Google issue.

I suppose to be sure someone would have to flash the stock ROM and see if they can duplicate the issue. Not too big a deal to test out since you can Nandroid restore after testing.

Are you sure it never happened on the stock ROM? I thought so at first, but I have hazy recollections of some odd behavior with Music player starting up when I first got the phone. At any rate, it's not unique to this MCR ROM.

as it´s my second day on my first custom rom, i´m a 100% sure it never happend before on stock rom, neither erd79 nor ere27!

Guest teknologist
I think we're all on our computers (not phones) all day long, disconnected from what's going around us in real life, real people interaction, face to face. ;-)

We so all seem to spend an inordinate amount of time in these forums...it's Saturday morning for me, and I should be at the gym instead of reading this stuff. It's Saturday afternoon for you...shouldn't you be out and about or something? LOL

Thanks for the Advanced settings tip...wow, it never occurred to me to hit the menu button while in the settings for WiFi to get more settings. D'oh! There's a few things in there that I thought Android was just missing.

This is one thing I'm going to give the iPhone UI a win over Android on...it's pretty difficult to miss advanced settings on the iPhone, what you see on screen is what's there, there's no need to remember to hit a menu button for more settings when you're on a settings screen! If there's an Advanced Settings item, it's displayed somewhere on the page you're looking at. Not a biggy, but it takes a little paradigm shift in your thinking to adapt to. I'm slow, but I'll get there.

As for crippling our hardware via software to make it functional, absolutely not! We wouldn't be burning custom ROMs onto our phones if we weren't looking for ways to make them do MORE for us, not LESS. <_<

EDIT: All that said, going into WiFi Sleep Policy, mine was already checked as NEVER, so I guess that's default setting anyways, at least in CM5.0.4.1. Still a good tip to check for when I switch back to MCR.

I know I shouldn't be here on Saturday!! LOL

1) Left my girl @ the train station yesterday evening (So I am single until Sunday evening)

2) I stopped smoking 3 week ago

Therefore I need to keep busy on something before I rush for a pack of cigs! ;-)

Edited by teknologist

Guest teknologist
thanks paul, can you fix launcher fc problem ?, its kinda annoying. <_<

I do have that Launcher FC on boot too, I thought I was alone !

What widgets or weird things do you have on your homescreen ?

I have tracked it down through logcat to a brief OutOfMemory issue but we are unable to pinpoint the problem with Paul for the moment.

Edited by teknologist

Guest Formel-LMS

Yes,

I have this error on startup, too. I didn't report it, because I don't wanna hear: No, everything fine on my Nexus. No thing to change.

Okay, the issues with MCR 1.8:

1. FC Launcher at startup

2. Animated Wallpaper (Eart Rot esp.) gets sometimes graphical errors

3. Pink blur on pictures token with the camera

4. Playing music by unplugging the headphones automatically

5. Automatic screen brightness a bit of irritated sometimes

6. The trackball colour roundup drains battery many

I hope I don't forget something.

Thats what I have seen with this rom.

Guest teknologist
Yes,

I have this error on startup, too. I didn't report it, because I don't wanna hear: No, everything fine on my Nexus. No thing to change.

You sound a bit frustrated ! ;-)

Sorry if it sound we didn't really care...that's really not the case, otherwise there wouldn't even be a forum and a topic I guess...I say "I guess" because I am a user like you and in no way affiliated to Modaco. I just provide Paul with my kernels. ;-)

Now for your problems:

1) I have it too !

2) This is general issue (was first reported on Cyanogen 2.6.33 kernel) with 2.6.33 kernels I guess. It seemed at first it didn't happen on TCK which is stock/vanilla source; But if you say you had it, then I'll conclude it's a general 2.6.33 issue.

3) you reported and we already exchanged about that. Up to Paul.

4) Have no idea.

5) I share that with you a 100%. Thats why I moved to CM541 that had the Desire ROM brightness and as soon as Paul has a more stable Desire ROM for N1. i'll make the switch !

6) Already solved and discussed earlier in this thread. Will be in the next MCR I guess. Paul ?

Bottom line is 2), 3), 5) and 6) are not specific to MCR 1.8. they are just general NexusOne problems. In that case I would add: sometimes erratic multitouch tracking, 3G problems etc.

Be patient and I am pretty sure things will improve.

Edited by teknologist

Guest Mantisen
Yes,

I don't think number 4 is specific to the Nexus One, I have a friend with a Hero who gets this (odd) issue at times. He even managed to reproduce it a couple of times while I was present.

Odd to say the least, probably just some random bug in Android or the communication between h/w and s/w. <_<

Guest lamabodo

I wholeheartedly agree with you both on this, and did not mean to imply neither that I somehow had an epiphany regarding battery life nor that getting a n1 and using it like a Nokia 5110 is a great idea :-). All I suggested was that when you enter an area where you know coverage is sucky and you know you'll be there for a substantial amount of time, it might be an idea to switch to 2G only.

My point was merely that you do not only have to compare usage (as was thoroghly laid out in a previous post by DistortedLoop), but also coverage when discussing battery life.

On a different, but related note, I would also like to join the choir hating Technologist for getting that much life out of his battery. ;-)

Guest Mantisen
I wholeheartedly agree with you both on this, and did not mean to imply neither that I somehow had an epiphany regarding battery life nor that getting a n1 and using it like a Nokia 5110 is a great idea :-). All I suggested was that when you enter an area where you know coverage is sucky and you know you'll be there for a substantial amount of time, it might be an idea to switch to 2G only.

My point was merely that you do not only have to compare usage (as was thoroghly laid out in a previous post by DistortedLoop), but also coverage when discussing battery life.

On a different, but related note, I would also like to join the choir hating Technologist for getting that much life out of his battery. ;-)

Well I don't know how people kill their batteries in under 20 hours, I just putted my phone on charging after 33 hours during which I had about 40-60 minutes of talk time, listening to some mp3, browsing twitter, and doing some gaming. I have to admit though I'm currently running the undervolted .33 kernel on CM 5.0.4.1 but even before that I usually had 22-24 hours of battery life under moderate usage (just like Teknologist I don't use my phone 24/7 but I check twitter when the phone vibrate, make calls, listen to music / play games on the train, and send / receive about 20-40 texts during the days).

But I don't know if this is because my phone don't keep jumping between 3G/2G constantly (we have about 98% 3G coverage in Sweden) or something like that.

Basically I have 3G coverage constantly and WiFi when I use the phone to surf at Uni or home.

Guest Formel-LMS

@teknologist:

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was a bit frustrated. I've felt a bit missunderstood before. But it could be the snowy weather and the neverending snow shoveling here... ;-)

But another....

I have found a new Probem on MCR1.8:

The Launcher has two dots on the bottom. They show us on which screen we are.

Now I've seen several times, that I was on Homescreen (the middle) but the dots shows another screen.

(Left was 1 dot and right were 3 points) Then the wallpaper appears same. At the middle screen was the wallpaper area of the second left screen.

I hope you know, what I mean. This Issue we had on an older rom, too. It was away and now it is back.

Guest lmjabreu
@teknologist:

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was a bit frustrated. I've felt a bit missunderstood before. But it could be the snowy weather and the neverending snow shoveling here... ;-)

But another....

I have found a new Probem on MCR1.8:

The Launcher has two dots on the bottom. They show us on which screen we are.

Now I've seen several times, that I was on Homescreen (the middle) but the dots shows another screen.

(Left was 1 dot and right were 3 points) Then the wallpaper appears same. At the middle screen was the wallpaper area of the second left screen.

I hope you know, what I mean. This Issue we had on an older rom, too. It was away and now it is back.

I've had that problem for quite some time now. Using MCR 1.7, but it occured even on previous builds. Not sure if it was in the original stock rom as well.

Guest teknologist
Well I don't know how people kill their batteries in under 20 hours, I just putted my phone on charging after 33 hours during which I had about 40-60 minutes of talk time, listening to some mp3, browsing twitter, and doing some gaming. I have to admit though I'm currently running the undervolted .33 kernel on CM 5.0.4.1 but even before that I usually had 22-24 hours of battery life under moderate usage (just like Teknologist I don't use my phone 24/7 but I check twitter when the phone vibrate, make calls, listen to music / play games on the train, and send / receive about 20-40 texts during the days).

But I don't know if this is because my phone don't keep jumping between 3G/2G constantly (we have about 98% 3G coverage in Sweden) or something like that.

Basically I have 3G coverage constantly and WiFi when I use the phone to surf at Uni or home.

Exactly ! And yes here in Paris we have 98% 3G+ coverage too, so the phone doesn't jump that much between 2G/3G/3G+...

TCK 0.7 we use on MCR 1.8 and Desire Alpha12 is undervolted for sleep frequencies. AS the phone is asleep most of the time, I don't believe undervolting at high speed yields to a big differece in battery drain.

Prior to MCR 1.8 I was on CM 5.4.1 with my TCK 0.7 and had moreless the same battery life!