CyanogenMod for HTC Hero (GSM) v1.0 (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Guest jnwhiteh
Yes. Sorry. What a remarkably quick answer! I missed it and when I went back to double check I hadn't missed it I realised it's been re-written ;)

npnp =) Going to bed now, see you all in the morning!

Guest commodoor

Ok i just flashed it, and looks great. but the phone seems like a little slugish, i don't know maybe its only for me.

its slow with everything, scrolling down, pulling up the apps menu, etc etc. did i forget something?

i did a wipe, and wiped dalvik.

Then feel free to use another ROM. Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry, but I agree. This build, in fact any AOSP build, is laggy.

You can say otherwise, but it doesn't change the fact that they are slow. And yes, this is after giving several minutes to initialize, etc. I'm not a ''noob'' and have a few years of experience running Android on the Vogue and Hero now, this isn't a problem with anything I'm doing or with the phone.

Is it not true that AOSP releases lack certain drivers and OpenGL? I'm just throwing this out there, but perhaps that's the cause?

I've been told it's just me several times now, but I think a lot of you have to go and install a stock or vanilla Cupcake ROM again to truly experience the snappy and smooth Android experience, go back to an AOSP ROM and then tell me it's not laggy.

Again, I'm not trying to be an ass, and I truly appreciate the work you guys are putting into bringing Hero users the Eclair experience before HTC does, but people need to stop saying these ROMs are fast and lag free and that ''it's just you".

Guest stevenz

All you guys complaining about "lag" - do you just mean "not as snappy as MCR" or do you mean "slower than HTC Hero stock firmware"? Dunno if you remember, but that stock firmware is a complete dog.

Guest arkhonic
All you guys complaining about "lag" - do you just mean "not as snappy as MCR" or do you mean "slower than HTC Hero stock firmware"? Dunno if you remember, but that stock firmware is a complete dog.

Agreed, this ROM is slower than Modaco but remember we don't have source code so no tweaks can be done. It is definitely useable and I have no issues as lag is really relative. Provided I don't get FC's I'm generally easily pleased.

Guest keyra74

videos close after 2 seconds like on every 2.1 aosp :/

same bug as with ckdroid 1.6 beta : market takes a while to refresh then shows a blank page, after being refreshed a few times it shows my download list

here's the error log

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): com.android.vending.InitializeMarketAction$MetadataAndDownloadsAction.abortOnServerError(): Server error in InitializeMarketAction:

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): java.net.SocketTimeoutException: The operation timed out

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at org.apache.harmony.luni.platform.OSNetworkSystem.receiveStreamImpl(Native Method)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at org.apache.harmony.luni.platform.OSNetworkSystem.receiveStream(OSNetworkSystem.j

va:478)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at org.apache.harmony.luni.net.PlainSocketImpl.read(PlainSocketImpl.java:565)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at org.apache.harmony.luni.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:87)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at org.apache.http.impl.io.AbstractSessionInputBuffer.fillBuffer(AbstractSessionInp

tBuffer.java:103)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at org.apache.http.impl.io.AbstractSessionInputBuffer.readLine(AbstractSessionInput

uffer.java:191)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at org.apache.http.impl.conn.DefaultResponseParser.parseHead(DefaultResponseParser.

ava:82)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at org.apache.http.impl.io.AbstractMessageParser.parse(AbstractMessageParser.java:1

4)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at org.apache.http.impl.AbstractHttpClientConnection.receiveResponseHeader(Abstract

ttpClientConnection.java:179)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at org.apache.http.impl.conn.DefaultClientConnection.receiveResponseHeader(DefaultC

ientConnection.java:235)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at org.apache.http.impl.conn.AbstractClientConnAdapter.receiveResponseHeader(Abstra

tClientConnAdapter.java:259)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at org.apache.http.protocol.HttpRequestExecutor.doReceiveResponse(HttpRequestExecut

r.java:279)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at org.apache.http.protocol.HttpRequestExecutor.execute(HttpRequestExecutor.java:12

)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at org.apache.http.impl.client.DefaultRequestDirector.execute(DefaultRequestDirecto

.java:410)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:5

5)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:4

7)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at android.net.http.AndroidHttpClient.execute(AndroidHttpClient.java:288)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at com.google.android.net.GoogleHttpClient.executeWithoutRewriting(GoogleHttpClient

java:224)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at com.google.android.net.GoogleHttpClient.execute(GoogleHttpClient.java:293)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at com.android.vending.api.RequestDispatcher.performRequestsOverNetwork(RequestDisp

tcher.java:206)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at com.android.vending.api.RequestDispatcher.performRequests(RequestDispatcher.java

174)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at com.android.vending.api.RequestManager.doRequestsOverNetwork(RequestManager.java

244)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at com.android.vending.api.RequestManager.doRequests(RequestManager.java:230)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at com.android.vending.BaseActivity$BaseAction.run(BaseActivity.java:1601)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at com.android.vending.BaseActivity$BaseAction$BackgroundThread$1.run(BaseActivity.java:1682)

02-05 08:07:47.037: ERROR/vending(408): at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1096)

Edited by keyra74

Guest jnwhiteh
Ok i just flashed it, and looks great. but the phone seems like a little slugish, i don't know maybe its only for me.

its slow with everything, scrolling down, pulling up the apps menu, etc etc. did i forget something?

i did a wipe, and wiped dalvik.

I appreciate that you consider it to be slow, but your experiences are not the majority. Most people who try the ROM agree that it is very snappy and very responsive for most tasks. Of course I will continue to try and improve the speed as best I can, but there it is.

Sorry, but I agree. This build, in fact any AOSP build, is laggy.

You can say otherwise, but it doesn't change the fact that they are slow. And yes, this is after giving several minutes to initialize, etc. I'm not a ''noob'' and have a few years of experience running Android on the Vogue and Hero now, this isn't a problem with anything I'm doing or with the phone.

Speed and lag is perception, not reality. I don't think you're a noob.. but I'd be interested in what your adb logcat looks like when you're experiencing this lag.

Is it not true that AOSP releases lack certain drivers and OpenGL? I'm just throwing this out there, but perhaps that's the cause?

No, it's not true. The phone gets 24 FPS on the OpenGL benchmarks and OpenGL ES works just fine. Yes, we're using a leaked kernel and leaked drivers from an HTC build.. so of course we're at some disadvantage. They may have compiled everything in debug mode, or who knows. But that's not anything we can fix until they release a 2.1 ROM.. which given their speed may be after Duke Nukem Forever comes out.

I've been told it's just me several times now, but I think a lot of you have to go and install a stock or vanilla Cupcake ROM again to truly experience the snappy and smooth Android experience, go back to an AOSP ROM and then tell me it's not laggy.

Again, I'm not trying to be an ass, and I truly appreciate the work you guys are putting into bringing Hero users the Eclair experience before HTC does, but people need to stop saying these ROMs are fast and lag free and that ''it's just you".

I have installed cupcake ROMS. I have installed donut ROMS. I've been working on my HTC hero with stock HTC, AOSP and other custom builds for quite some time now. The fact of the matter is speed and 'lag' is always perception. It's a feeling and it is not a feeling shared by every single person. I have two HTC heros sitting right here at my house, since my fiancé has the exact same phone and I can do side-by-side comparisons of 100% stock builds.

A clean build without google apps, and thus no synchronization overhead, and no other s*** floating around.. and this ROM is very competitive. The only place I feel any lag whatsoever is when opening the application tray, and it's displaying more icons than the normal launcher with different graphics on the background.

I'm not saying people who consider the ROM slow 'stupid', 'noobs', or 'wrong'. But the issues are perception issues, and must be considered relative to some other point. They are also not universal, I have received constant feedback about the speed of this ROM and how happy people are with it.

I'm not being funny, or rude when I say that you're welcome to use whatever ROM you'd like. I don't do any of this work for glory, massive amounts of users, or even donations. I do it because it gives me a chance to control what is going on my phone, fixing any issues that come up along the way. If the speed of the ROM is not up to snuff by your standard, I'm sorry and will continue to try improving it.

When trying to run MetaMorph, I get this error;

It does not look like this phone has root access! the file: su could not be found

Any help ?

su is most certainly there, /system/xbin/su. Downloading GScript Lite and running any of the 'root required' scripts works as expected, so no idea why Metamorph is not working properly.. Perhaps the path to su is hardcoded for some bizarre reason?

videos close after 2 seconds like on every 2.1 aosp :/

I have to try a few more things, but will definitely try to tackle this one. I had it working on one build at some point, for some people =).

same bug as with ckdroid 1.6 beta : market takes a while to refresh then shows a blank page, after being refreshed a few times it shows my download list

That's a server error, and I don't experience the same issue. Its' a simple socket timeout, which means it is an issue with your connection. This is the same market that is used on the Nexus, so it's not likely that there is such a terrible bug that causes a fake server error. I'll see what I can find out, but there's not too much to look at when the issue is on the connection/server.

Guest Scottland

This ROM seems much quicker than Kagu 1.2.1 to me, and it's not crashed once yet - no force closes from any apps yet either. So far so good.

Thanks again ;)

This is an excellent ROM, great work - it's definitely the fastest AOSP ROM I've used on my Hero. The only reservations I have are with the lack of A2DP and the problems with the camera, but these are well documented anyway. Do you intend to fix these issues or it something Cyanogen is working on?

Once again, superb job! ;)

Guest jnwhiteh
This is an excellent ROM, great work - it's definitely the fastest AOSP ROM I've used on my Hero. The only reservations I have are with the lack of A2DP and the problems with the camera, but these are well documented anyway. Do you intend to fix these issues or it something Cyanogen is working on?

Once again, superb job! ;)

They are our (Hero devs) issues, and we're working on them. We may not get very far until HTC releases a 2.1 ROM.

Guest TheShadowSurfer

Can you add this to apns_conf.xml, it will make all the carriers using telenors network in Denmark work

<apn carrier="telenor"

mcc="238"

mnc="02"

apn="internet"

user=""

server=""

password=""

mmsc=""

type="default"

/>

<apn carrier="telenor MMS"

mcc="238"

mnc="02"

apn="telenor"

user="telenor"

server=""

password="telenor"

mmsc="http://mms.telenor.dk"

mmsproxy="212.88.64.8"

mmsport="9201"

type="mms"

/>

Guest Blackfish
"slower than HTC Hero stock firmware"?

Slower then HTC Hero stock firmware without Sense UI (not the HTC Apps)...it is a fact that these ROMs are slower but we all know why after the explanation of jnwhiteh...i like this ROM but i noticed that i have performance problems sometimes and thats a bit annoying...

i can also say

it's definitely the fastest AOSP ROM I've used on my Hero
...thats also a fact...for me...but what i hate is when someone tells me that only i am the only one who has this problems (and i am not the only one)... Edited by Blackfish

Guest franciswills

The ROM's working really nicely for me. Thanks.

The bugs/annoyances I've experienced:

1) The known gallery graphics issue

2) Voice input occasionally doesn't work and errors saying something like "Could not connect" - sorry I didn't take better note of the exact error. Has happened a couple of times but now that I want to mail about it I can't replicate it :-).

3) Spare Parts: I set the end button behaviour to be "Home then Sleep". It will take me back to home, but only after about 5 seconds, and then won't sleep.

As an aside, it at least appears that Exchange accounts don't sync the calendar at the moment. Has this been implemented? Am I missing something?

Guest bigtunes

ROM is working great for me, nice work.

Only issue I've noticed so far is when the phone sleeps it seems to lose the live wallpaper and revert back to the default. I've tried it with a couple from the market and they have both installed and work fine until the screen turns itself off.

Not a show stopper for me, I'll try a few more and see what happens.

jnwhiteh, nice work.

This Rom has "native" .flac support like KaguDroid 1.2.x has, right?

If i understood right what i read about it, Cyanogen-based-roms have all this patch.

Maik

Edited by Maik_B

Been giving it a battering and all is working ok now, one hing I noticed, and bear in mind Ive only got MCR to compare it to is that when ending a call the screen autolocks, is this normal behaviour, looked for a setting but couldn't find one?

Guest jnwhiteh
Can you add this to apns_conf.xml, it will make all the carriers using telenors network in Denmark work

I'd need to add them under different carrier names, as there are already Telenor and Telenor MMS carriers in the apns_conf.xml.

Slower then HTC Hero stock firmware without Sense UI (not the HTC Apps)...it is a fact that these ROMs are slower but we all know why after the explanation of jnwhiteh...i like this ROM but i noticed that i have performance problems sometimes and thats a bit annoying...

i can also say ...thats also a fact...for me...but what i hate is when someone tells me that only i am the only one who has this problems (and i am not the only one)...

I don't recall telling you you were the only one, I've just been trying to say that you are in a minority. If I did say you were the only one, it was an incorrect statement, and I'm sorry (even if you were the only one at that specific point in time). HTC is able to do quite a bit of optimisation that we're not privvy to.. I'm sure that's part of the whole private repository.. Sad..

jnwhiteh... might be worth adding a 'version number' in the topic title so when / if you update people can keep track?

Will do. I also should mention that the version number is visible in the About page under Settings.

The ROM's working really nicely for me. Thanks.

The bugs/annoyances I've experienced:

1) The known gallery graphics issue

2) Voice input occasionally doesn't work and errors saying something like "Could not connect" - sorry I didn't take better note of the exact error. Has happened a couple of times but now that I want to mail about it I can't replicate it :-).

This is a data connection issue.. if it can't make a connection to Google's servers. The transcription is not done on the device, its offloaded to their servers.

3) Spare Parts: I set the end button behaviour to be "Home then Sleep". It will take me back to home, but only after about 5 seconds, and then won't sleep.

I believe that function does not work on this build or device, but I'd have to do more research.

As an aside, it at least appears that Exchange accounts don't sync the calendar at the moment. Has this been implemented? Am I missing something?

That's not something AOSP supports, afaik.

ROM is working great for me, nice work.

Only issue I've noticed so far is when the phone sleeps it seems to lose the live wallpaper and revert back to the default. I've tried it with a couple from the market and they have both installed and work fine until the screen turns itself off.

Not a show stopper for me, I'll try a few more and see what happens.

Odd! I've noticed something similar.. perhaps there's a setting somewhere that needs to be switched. I didn't see this issue in my AOSP-Eclair ROM.

jnwhiteh, nice work.

This Rom has "native" .flac support like KaguDroid 1.2.x has, right?

If i understood right what i read about it, Cyanogen-based-roms have all this patch.

Should be there, yes.

Been giving it a battering and all is working ok now, one hing I noticed, and bear in mind Ive only got MCR to compare it to is that when ending a call the screen autolocks, is this normal behaviour, looked for a setting but couldn't find one?

I think if you end a call with the power button, yes. I ended it through the menu and it worked properly.

Guest TheShadowSurfer
I'd need to add them under different carrier names, as there are already Telenor and Telenor MMS carriers in the apns_conf.xml.

Then call them "Telenor DK" and "Telenor DK MMS" or You can call them Sonofon (The old name - Telenor has bought Sonofon) ... The carrier name has no real value...

Guest jnwhiteh
Then call them "Telenor DK" and "Telenor DK MMS" or You can call them Sonofon (The old name - Telenor has bought Sonofon) ... The carrier name has no real value...

Aye, was just saying =)