How to check, if Omnia i8000 is brand new, before buying it?

First of all HELLO to everyone, since I'm new here.

Now to the point:

I'm planning to buy a "new" Omnia i8000 from GSM Store/Service. The salesman says: "It's brand new and was never turned on", but who can tell?

So my question is:

Is there any way to check if the device was ever turned on or even used?

Round 430$ is quite a lot of money, so better be sure about what you buy...

Of course I'll be able to turn it on in the store, before I finalize the transaction.

Thanks for all answers and hints!

PS

Sorry for my english, but I hope you get my problem ;)

Guest KILLvino

well it should go to a windows welcome screen like first time, tap to continue, then calibrate settings.

but they coulda just hard reset the phone or reflashed it.

if someone flashed all the parts with factory roms, i don't know any way to tell.

So there is no hardware registry, or something like that, software independent, that could indicate device up time? And some code to check this value? I know, sounds like sci-fi a bit, but maybe there is a kind of mechanism.

Edited by pablos

Guest CryptXus
So there is no hardware registry, or something like that, software independent, that could indicate device up time? And some code to check this value? I know, sounds like sci-fi a bit, but maybe there is a kind of mechanism.

i think once s/w reflash, all will be reset to zero. ur only chance is to check if got any scratches on the phone or not... the material used on the phone is very prone to fine scratches.

Guest bobobird

Just make sure that the black box that it is packed in has not been opened but that could be a difficult thing to do if you want to "see before buy" (unless store has a demo phone for you to play with).

Guest DunKnow

If they give u a box with a Samsung sticker at the edge that is cut open, do not accept the box. The Samsung sticker already stated that if seal is open, do not open it. Also look out for layers of sticker seals.