MoDaCo Online Kitchen - Custom Ingredients

Guest PaulOBrien

If you're a MoDaCo Plus member or an Ad Free member using the MoDaCo Online Kitchen, you may have noticed I just put a new feature live - 'Custom Ingredients'. What this allows you to do is bake custom files into your ROM by uploading a ZIP file that in turn gets included into your ROM by the kitchen.

The process is very simple - create a directory on your PC, and in that directory place the files you want in the ROM mirroring the structure of the phone. So if you want /data/app/blah.apk in the ROM, create that directory structure and put the file there. When you have added all the files you need, ZIP the contents of the directory, ensure the ZIP is less than 10MB (it will be rejected if it is not) and then select it at the appropriate point in the online kitchen process.

Simple right? <_<

This is a simple first version of this functionality, and going forward it will be possible to retrieve past uploaded zips by ID, share your uploaded zips with others to include in their kitchen builds and even upload or include multiple zips. It's a first step because you - dear members - said you wanted it.

Enjoy... and feedback is much appreciated! :mellow:

P

Guest Dan Mullen

Great feature, cheers Paul <_<

This one is off the top of my head - haven't put a great deal of thought into it - but maybe another feature you could have is a way of allowing someone to remove parts of the standard ROM. For example, I always remove the default calculator app as I use RealCalc from the market. Perhaps a user could enter a list of files they want removing before the custom ROM is baked, e.g.:

/system/app/Calculator.apk

/system/app/Calculator.odex

Just a thought :mellow:

Guest grainysand

Oho, this has potential. No more reinstalling apps every time I wipe and flash, or themes for that matter.

Thanks, Paul. You're a gift that keeps giving.

This one is off the top of my head - haven't put a great deal of thought into it - but maybe another feature you could have is a way of allowing someone to remove parts of the standard ROM. For example, I always remove the default calculator app as I use RealCalc from the market. Perhaps a user could enter a list of files they want removing before the custom ROM is baked, e.g.:

You should just bug me to make removing calculator a kitchen option. :( Consider me bugged, hehe!

P

Guest Rocky7

Or uploading just one file containing something like

/system/app/Calculator.apk.deleteme

/system/app/Calculator.odex.deleteme

/system/app/RealCalc.apk

/system/app/RealCalc.odex

You could then just iterate through and find the .deleteme files, then remove them and their associated "real" file.

Just my 2p worth ...

Edited by Rocky7

Guest Trebor Rude
You should just bug me to make removing calculator a kitchen option. <_< Consider me bugged, hehe!

P

How about options for ALL non-essential applications? Something along the lines of a combo box for each application: "Install to /system", "Install to /data", "Leave out".

Guest GodDriven
this is a very nice option Paul!!

thanks for adding it!

Need a little help...!

Okay so I use a Mac.. I understand that this has to be mirrored to allow addition.. But i am just a lil confused or I have a brain fart.. I make a Directory where in this again.. I go to Macintosh HD and create a folder called "/data/app/" , then compress. With the apk's i placed.. Or do I name the app, /data/app/spareparts.apk then compress this into a zip.. If I do, when I go to upload I see /users/Godriven/Documents/etc.. Not the way it should be..

Thanks in advance.. To all.

Edit: just in case, is this just a PC thing.. ?

Edited by GodDriven

Guest toxic-hero
You should just bug me to make removing calculator a kitchen option. <_< Consider me bugged, hehe!

P

paul,

removing default pdf reader as a kitchen option would also be great. whoever doesn't need quickoffice probably doesn't need this too. consider yourself bugged again. ;-)

Guest Dan Mullen
Need a little help...!

Okay so I use a Mac.. I understand that this has to be mirrored to allow addition.. But i am just a lil confused or I have a brain fart.. I make a Directory where in this again.. I go to Macintosh HD and create a folder called "/data/app/" , then compress. With the apk's i placed.. Or do I name the app, /data/app/spareparts.apk then compress this into a zip.. If I do, when I go to upload I see /users/Godriven/Documents/etc.. Not the way it should be..

Thanks in advance.. To all.

Edit: just in case, is this just a PC thing.. ?

In your archiving program, there will probably be an option to archive with full paths to the files or just relative ones from the current directory. It's probably set to include absolute paths - switching this option off should help.

Guest prscott1
In your archiving program, there will probably be an option to archive with full paths to the files or just relative ones from the current directory. It's probably set to include absolute paths - switching this option off should help.

Thanks for the tip - any other options required for zip (like stored?, etc.)?

Paul, Thanks!

I'm a long time member - recently upgraded to a paid account. YOU are incredible!

Guest joelee

Thanks for this feature, Paul.

Will this allow us to overwrite the existing files? For example, if I include a modified "/system/etc/init.d/70dropbear" (to disable password and use just the public key) and "/data/dropbear/.ssh/authorized_keys", will it overwrite your existing "/system/etc/init.d/70dropbear"?

Joe.

Guest polo79
Yes, it will.

P

so what are some of the things people would want to add onto the kitchen? and where can we find something compatible with alpha 14? thanks.

Guest Michael Latman
If you're a MoDaCo Plus member or an Ad Free member using the MoDaCo Online Kitchen, you may have noticed I just put a new feature live - 'Custom Ingredients'. What this allows you to do is bake custom files into your ROM by uploading a ZIP file that in turn gets included into your ROM by the kitchen.

The process is very simple - create a directory on your PC, and in that directory place the files you want in the ROM mirroring the structure of the phone. So if you want /data/app/blah.apk in the ROM, create that directory structure and put the file there. When you have added all the files you need, ZIP the contents of the directory, ensure the ZIP is less than 10MB (it will be rejected if it is not) and then select it at the appropriate point in the online kitchen process.

Simple right? :)

This is a simple first version of this functionality, and going forward it will be possible to retrieve past uploaded zips by ID, share your uploaded zips with others to include in their kitchen builds and even upload or include multiple zips. It's a first step because you - dear members - said you wanted it.

Enjoy... and feedback is much appreciated! ;)

P

Is the formatting like this?:

system.zip/app/coolapp.apk

and does this mean we can only add something in one partition?

Edited by Michael Latman

Guest overground@xda
Is the formatting like this?:

system.zip/app/coolapp.apk

and does this mean we can only add something in one partition?

No, if I understand correctly (since there's no instruction on how to name the archive, it must not matter), you should do it this way (I think)

Michael_Latman.zip <or whatever>

system\

app\

coolapp.apk

• 2 weeks later...
Guest J.S Butran
No, if I understand correctly (since there's no instruction on how to name the archive, it must not matter), you should do it this way (I think)

Michael_Latman.zip <or whatever>

system\

app\

coolapp.apk

I have created a directory structure on my PC /data/app/ and put the required .apk files in the directory. Made a zip of files now should I leave the zip files in the same directory what do you mean by mirroring the structure of the phone... Are these applications get installed on A2SD. Can I have the simple instructions I am not an expert.

Edited by J.S Butran

Guest Jonnyw2k

Make a folder on your PC for example c:\phonefiles\

then in that folder put all your custom files in the right folders so for example

C:\phonefiles\system\app\coolapp.apk

C:\phonefiles\system\app\RealCalc.apk

C:\phonefiles\data\somefiles

etc...

now go into your phonefiles folder select all(Ctrl+A) then zip these folders into one zip

this should give you a file like

C:\phonefiles\phonefiles.zip

now at the required step in the kitchen use this zip file.

Edited by Jonnyw2k

Guest barbarossa25

I did something completley different I took an old zip file say like for superboot i used that one cleared it out and just used that one to bake the rom and it went off without a hitch it was easier for me cause i dont know how to do all that stuff so i gave it a shot and it worked pretty sweet :P