Is this the end?

Guest kdkinc

Is it the end of the line for the Omnia ? Most likely. ;)

I enjoyed the i910 for over a year but the real reason I got the Omnia i920 was ,

Fat Fingers !! :)

I needed a larger screen plus I don't have to always relay on a stylus .

If there is a new Omnia the only thing that will be the same is the name. The i920 is not the i910.

At this time I guess there are like 5 variant using the Omnia name.

:P ;)

Guest is77gal

starting this topic i feel responsible to give some explanations...i like my o2 and in some ways it still surprises me and makes me enjoy it...as i said i like the way it looks and it usability while using kstans lite rom and gchris titanium theme...best config ever and still to see smthg better at other units....dont like many screens as for android(borring and tiresome)...ipho is still just a phone....also i believe the stilling of the o2 compared to others is great...o2= nice suite/ android=jeans & t-shirt/ ipho=trendy but sleazy...in fact the main problem of the o2 is that specs compared it should be 2nd or 3rd ranking phone out there...its marginally inferior to the x10 and somewhat inferior to hd2(as for hardware)....but it doesnt perform as it should for its specs...and there i believe the problem of the phone resides....i still hope for porting android....at least as an option

Guest fireonhigh

im lovin it so far! i will use until its lost,stolen,broken,then i will look to see whats up with android,wm7 and drm sounds bad to me

Guest teamkillexpert

I'm both happy and sad to see WM7 becomming more like iPhone.

on the good side, apps will actrually look good and work, instead of crashing your phone.

on the bad side, everything will be charged.

Guest Vostradamus
I'm both happy and sad to see WM7 becomming more like iPhone.

on the good side, apps will actrually look good and work, instead of crashing your phone.

on the bad side, everything will be charged.

well, that's unfortunately not the only thing that's gonna change...

Everything is charged? I can live with it

Can't do what the hell I want with a several-hundreds-bucks device that I bought but I'm forced to use it only like M$ decided? I can't and I WON'T live with it....

Only way microsoft/any brand will sell me a WM7 phone is if it costed 100 bucks max, fully accessorized, full optional, lifetime warranty and a top model massaging my feet included in the package...

If I want a device to be used only the way they decide I buy a 25 bucks nokia cellphone, not a WM7 dumbthing... :)

Guest teamkillexpert
well, that's unfortunately not the only thing that's gonna change...

Everything is charged? I can live with it

Can't do what the hell I want with a several-hundreds-bucks device that I bought but I'm forced to use it only like M$ decided? I can't and I WON'T live with it....

Only way microsoft/any brand will sell me a WM7 phone is if it costed 100 bucks max, fully accessorized, full optional, lifetime warranty and a top model massaging my feet included in the package...

If I want a device to be used only the way they decide I buy a 25 bucks nokia cellphone, not a WM7 dumbthing... :)

well I'm kinda tired of registry tweaking, file replacing, photoshopping and all that crap, I've done enough of those for the past 15 years using computers.

I think Microsoft understand if they were to beat Apple they need something Apple doesn't have, like playing pirated music, running unauthorized programs.

If that is the case, and WM7 supports display and input of multiple languages( asain and european), I will definetly get a WM7 phone right when it comes out.

idealy, Windows Phone Classic should have these features:

-an UI that looks 2010, not 2003

-no lags what so ever

-unified hardware specs, like APIs and screen resolutions

-unified UI theme across all programs

then I would be completely satisfied with a Windows Phone Classic, and I wouldn't get a WM7.

Edited by teamkillexpert

Guest Vostradamus
well I'm kinda tired of registry tweaking, file replacing, photoshopping and all that crap, I've done enough of those for the past 15 years using computers.

Well... that's actually a matter of personal taste... you're kinda tired of that stuff, I respect that, but even though I've been in that stuff for the past 15-18 years myself I still like it :P

I think Microsoft understand if they were to beat Apple they need something Apple doesn't have, like playing pirated music, running unauthorized programs.

That's one of the things I'm talking about... there should not be such a thing as an "unauthorized program".... for heaven's sake, I'm basically buying a miniature computer and the "authorized" programs MUST be what I decide, if I'm gonna mess up the device then so be it, who cares, I want to be able to do it :) Other than that, it would be like buying a videogame console paying the price of the USS Enterprise mainframe....

(Yes, I'm one of those romatic, nostalgic retards who would gladly welcome back the times when what's now (not always) known as the "dos prompt" was all you had when turning on a pc....) ;)

But then again, all the above is just about my personal taste, and I respect any other idea even if totally the opposite of mine

Guest dothan
starting this topic i feel responsible to give some explanations...i like my o2 and in some ways it still surprises me and makes me enjoy it...as i said i like the way it looks and it usability while using kstans lite rom and gchris titanium theme...best config ever and still to see smthg better at other units....dont like many screens as for android(borring and tiresome)...ipho is still just a phone....also i believe the stilling of the o2 compared to others is great...o2= nice suite/ android=jeans & t-shirt/ ipho=trendy but sleazy...in fact the main problem of the o2 is that specs compared it should be 2nd or 3rd ranking phone out there...its marginally inferior to the x10 and somewhat inferior to hd2(as for hardware)....but it doesnt perform as it should for its specs...and there i believe the problem of the phone resides....i still hope for porting android....at least as an option

You are totally right on your points. Of course we can't compare the spec with HD2 or X10. The problem lies on Samsung DOES NOT provide a good hardware support on software perspective. It has brilliant AMOLED, magnetic compass, g sensor but Samsung DOES NOT incorporate any functionalities of them in its TouchWIZ. So what the fuss to have such specs at the first place? This is what makes me disappointed at Samsung.

Guest jebise

its a great phone, it hardware far exceeds the iphone and many touch screen for that matter. The only problem with this phone is samsung, if samsung invests some time into tweaking it and making it work and having openGL library this phone would be amazing. I could careless for WM7 as i just got my O2 3 months ago and want to use it for years to come. We all know what the problems are and how to fix them its just if samsung needs to stepup and fix the flaws. We have great devs working on this phone such as chainfire for opengl, but they should not have to.

I hate when companies stop supporting there products because a newer better product will be released forcing you to live with the problems or shell out more $$$.

Guest dande

Hi all,

I really enjoyed all your views and thoughts.

O2 has some issues with most important this of RAM shortage and bad 2D and 3D drivers.

Although RAM issue not solved but after some flashing with new ulite roms with changed pp of 8 or 6 problem is not that apparent.

And with some tips and tricks and fixes and modification according my taste it has been transformed into a very nice and beautiful and useful

combination of hardware, O.S and software.

Key points for me are touch friendly UI with 6.5.5, very good screen, the best battery in WM device so far, good respond on all apps,

good photo/video capabilities, considerably cheaper than similar devices.

The nice thing with WM device are that your are able to run hundreds of all short of apps -most of them for free- and

you have the possibility to change the UI, themes etc to fit your taste and of course keep u busy....

Now if WM7 takes back this we used to have, simply we all turn to something new which it will sure appear soon...

Thanks guys

Guest alexovy

Hello,

I am a proud owner of an O2.

I have think a lot about the problems you are discussing here, before I bought this phone.

Now, after a dozen of friends saw my phone, they are asking me if it is a good choice to buy a phone like mine. This puts me into position to choose once again, after months of O2 usage, a good phone. This is what I tell them:

- if you are good with computers (windows especially, tweaks, registry, etc), if you want a flexible OS, if you want your battery to last long, if you want a perfect big screen, if you want to be able to do everything you want with your phone, if you want a decent camera, if you want something with the best price/performance ratio...BUY A SAMSUNG O2;

- if you want all above but you have a little bit more money, and you dont care about battery and you want high specs...BUY A HD2;

- else....X1, X10, etc...and if you dont really want something special from your phone, just to work smooth and look good...buy an IPHONE.

Guest sinancetinkaya

Here are my thoughts

Advantages:

1. Battery life

2. Amoled screen

3. Stock Audio routing. This feature makes omnia 2 the best for me. Now I can use voip softphones via earpiece

4. Amazing apps like midomi, touch player(better divx video playback than tcpmp) and some finger friendly apps

Disadvantages:

1. No dpad damn!

2. When I use a 256 mb ram pda such omnia2, I wish I had more free ram. But I'm fine with my ultralite rom

3. Samsung's crappy settings panel. The standard control panel of WM in omnia2 is not full featured. You have to use samsung's control panel.

Overall I'm not disappointed at all. Currently, Omnia 2 is the best pda if you consider price/performance.

Remember, HD2 doesn't have a front camera, I think htc made this mistake on purpose. I'm sure they will fix this issue on like HD3, that is their way of selling people new phones. Can you imagine yourself when you're making video calls :)))

Plus, I don't think a 1ghz cpu pda's battery life will be as good as omnia2

Edited by sinancetinkaya

Guest Ender Psp

I have to say is that support from the manufacturer is important. And for now it looks like Samsung has done too many phones to handle them properly. I sincerely hope they realize that the support they offer for the products today builds the trust for tomorrow. I am saying this as an owner of a couple of Samsung among which a 24" monitor and a BluRay player. I would hate to see they don't offer good support, and they (Samsung) should realize that communities like this are made of many, many people. Who if frustrated enough will drop interest for a specific brand.

Now, onto the actual answer. I would say no, this is only a rough beginning. As a good example look at HTC Diamond. It took over 1 year until a fast and stable rom came out. And it wasn't with HTC's help, it was done by XDA community cookers. So, if you want better support don't look at Samsung first, look at the cookers and respect and value their work. Their time and effort put into those releases deserves a lot of respect. When one of them leaves the scene that's a major hole left, and not even the best support from the manufacturer can fill that. Of course you need Samsung to provide the original rom first, but that's only the start. And I'm not saying they don't do their work. I'm saying they have limited resources to support all mobiles they produce, and that is common sense. So if you want better support, raise your voice and say what you want to say. This is why we have a community here. And since it's free, you're free to leave and go somewhere else. IMHO I won't find a better phone on the market now, with the battery life, screen and enough power to play my videos. For me this is only the beginning. In the words of Neo, "where we go from here, it's up to you". That would be all of you, who make this community. I'm here to stay, as this is my phone of choice for now, and I like it.

• 3 months later...
Guest ChrisChen

Hey Guys,

Just to give you my 50 cents worth of opinion, I feel pretty cheated because I think the O2 did not live to its full potential. It could've been a kick-ass phone. Compared to the iPhone, which I bet against (and lost) when I bought my unit, the O2 SEEMED a much better choice. Technically, the phone has all the features I was looking for - a decent camera, the AMOLED display, microSD expansion, more flexible OS, not to mention it is the best looking smartphone out there.

It is still pretty good, don't get me wrong, but it would have been much worse for me had I not found this forum, with guys that actually took the time to tweak it and come up with cool solutions. The R&D guys at Microsoft and Samsung should read this forum...

The lack of support from Samsung is definitely a huge negative point. When you try to find decent apps for it, a lot of the stuff that is out there is either crap or outdated. Very few of the apps are worth your while. I guess that is the problem with most of the Asian manufacturers - they put a strong emphasis on the hardware, and almost none on the software to make it run. Sad.

Microsoft also has a big hand in not making WinMo a better OS since it is hardly a new product. It's been around for ages, yet they missed the gravy train yet again.

So here's my thanks to all of you that have been keeping this phone alive with the ROM cooking, tutorials, guides and other goodies! I truly appreciate the effort.

Cheers,

Chris

Guest tropolite

I enjoy my O2...

My main reason for buying this handset (which is always comes down to individual taste), is it's an all-in-one unit. The MMedia side of the device was my drawcard. I liked the very good quality camera (after hours of research personally, I found Samsung's to be the best on market). The only reason I would change is if a similar quality device is released that has 8Mpx camera, and projector (which there seems to be a contender now available).

The screen quality is outstanding killing most of what was on the market at the time and still rates highly against new models.

Xvid/Divx inbuilt capability - something I want as I'm flying a lot and watch many things while in the air, and have access to up it to TV sets.

Sound quality is very good - knowing that Samsung itself uses the same audio chip as they make for Apple's iPod/Phone etc sits well with me.

Modaco's community is outstanding. The level of free community support, developing only adds to the quality of the device. A sincere thank you to all who contribute freely to this forum.

Plus many other areas - overall I've been happy and will stick to O2 for the time being.

There are only minor areas I would like to see fixed either in a cooked or released ROM. I'd like to use Samsung's SMS skin but there is no way to prevent (I've tried every way available to me), to stop the 'SMS sent' notification. The only way of killing it is to remove the use of the mms.dll. I know, it's something small, but I would rather white on black than the default as I personally find it easier to read this way and would theoretically use less power (white on these screens drains power, black if off).

Guest pw-man

I have watched intently at the recent barrage of android phones, each time considering the switch from my 920 O2, but still I keep it... As others have commented (here and in other forums), the O2 was a well packaged phone from a features standpoint... Silly things like the flash missing in the galaxy s (which otherwise is still my contender for a replacement if it comes to VZW), and cheaper looking devices (I still have this stigma of plasticy HTC devices which I can't seem to shake) and the droid X looks amazing but not sure about the size factor... Sammy still builds some rock solid phones... but the software seems to be there weakness at times...

As for me, O2 is still running, thanks to the hard work of custom roms and the overall level of comfort I have come to with the phone since its day 1 launch...

Guest johnchua55

i think one of the big problems is they keep forgetting it's a phone first !!! a pda second..... h0w can they release a phone with bad/laggy phone software... at the very least if the basic apps were great ...SMS-mms, ph0neb00k, dialer ..... i'd want to keep this phone.

But sad to say even the basic stuff is far from perfected.

Guest pinkishmilad

Well I as a former i900 user found enough improvement in i8000 to justify an upgrade and when I look at my phone I still see them all. First off, you got to admit that i8000 is a true multimedia powerhouse. Its audio quality is really good, it takes good pics (as a phone at least though the lens is not really wide enough) and has got a wonderful screen plus many more. However, nothing is perfect. it is true that i8000 is expected to be much faster considering the great specs it's got on paper at least and it's not. However, in my opinion i8000 is not slow enough to be called sluggish really and that's not something I'd say about i900. (I have my phone on high performance always). So for now I think I'll keep my phone for the next 6 months or so.

As for an upgrade, I maybe I'll wait for something really special to come out. Iphone g4 did not look that cool to me. I also find android phones on the market to be too boring. Maybe Dell Streak will be my next phone (tablet phone actually) if it comes out with android 2.2 ForYo or some other fancy machine that really has something big to offer, But for now, Omnia i8000 will do just fine.

Guest jebise

i for one will be moving to a HTC desire or nexus one as soon as i can get my hands on it in canada (which may not happen). I'm just sick of winmo, samsung released a good phone but used shitty OS which is why so many devs have went droid and never looked back. If almar can get android working i may keep the phone longer.

I purchased this phone for the all in one package as well, music, games (i though that it would just work didn't research that music boy was i wrong), DIVX and of course phone and SMS. The AMOLED screen and WVGA rez was a big selling point for me and still is, even the 16GB storage. By far still the most all in one package on the market just OS sucks and samsung did a poor half as job with it. RAM is actually decent as even few of the latest phone will come with roughly the same its just samsung did a poor job optimizing it and winmo just sucks.

But this is for sure my last and only samsung phone/winmo phone. Its android (although bell canada has shitty android phone) so even considering going apple iphone 4, which by the reviews is not that great compared to even the O2.

Guest Asgardi

"Sure the O2 has some flaws... but there's NO device on the market without flaws."

Yeah. That´s why I purchased Omnia II only less than 6 months ago. It was a decision between Omnia II and HTC HD2 and Omnia II won because of the first Sense ROM beta by rodrigofd came out. It seems to be the correct decision. There are so much great modding going on for HD2 and you can get almost all of that to your Omnia II. 3D drivers are really the biggest issue.

I just went to a store that has every phone out there and tested those through and compared to my Omnia II. The default Omnia II in the store was actually quite crappy compared to my modded one. There was no better phones. iPhone is quite snappy but come on guys... what you get? Only WM-startmenu full of icons and nothing more. No wonder why it´s fast. Because there is nothing. Luckily you can find how many missed calls you have, haha. What comes to android... all android phones are a bit laggy too, even google nexus one that has similar hardware to HD2.

I don´t like WP7 eighter so let´s see what is my next phone. But I think Omnia II is a keeper for me for over a year and I would even buy Omnia II still today because of I know the endless modding possibilities. It´s just 300e compared to iPhone4 750e or 500e HD2 and so on...