trouble flashing rom

Guest Aaronb1

Guest Aaronb1

A while back i flashed a rom that wouldn't work on my omnia 2. I've been trying to flash one that will work, but I can't get octans to run. When I plug my phone in it detects it when it's turned off for just a few seconds and then disappears. I'm using xp so that should be ok. Sometime when I plug the phone in my computer wont even detect it at all. I'm not sure if I have something not set right on my phone or computer. I downloaded the driver it said i needed on here and it worked when I orginally flashed the rom that won't work. I flashed a rom that I guess was for a gsm omnia 2 so do you know if I'll ever be able to get it changed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Guest Ninja4Hire
A while back i flashed a rom that wouldn't work on my omnia 2. I've been trying to flash one that will work, but I can't get octans to run. When I plug my phone in it detects it when it's turned off for just a few seconds and then disappears. I'm using xp so that should be ok. Sometime when I plug the phone in my computer wont even detect it at all. I'm not sure if I have something not set right on my phone or computer. I downloaded the driver it said i needed on here and it worked when I orginally flashed the rom that won't work. I flashed a rom that I guess was for a gsm omnia 2 so do you know if I'll ever be able to get it changed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If your using XP this should be fairly easy. Lets start with your phone completely off and not plugged into your computer.

1. open octans and find the rom.

2. click detect at the bottom.

3. quickly turn on your phone and then plug it into the usb. You basically want to have it connected before it starts to load the rom, but not while the phone is still off.

4. octans should detect your phone and the phone should give you the download message. Then you can start to download process.

let me know if that does not work for you. Good luck!

Guest Aaronb1

That didn't work. I just starts the phone up completely and octans never makes it past the line that says something like usb change. I can get whatever exactly it says next time I try if that'll help.

Guest kdkinc
That didn't work. I just starts the phone up completely and octans never makes it past the line that says something like usb change. I can get whatever exactly it says next time I try if that'll help.

Just a thought....

Are you using mini Octans or the full version of Octans ???

Some have said too only use the Full version... :)

;) :P

Guest cfiore79
This is all information I"have taken" from other posters that enabled me to flash my VZW i920.

I spent a lot of time reading but das771 was the one that finally got me over the hurdle .

My hope is to help and to save you time so that you can enjoy our chefs newest treats :) ;)

SAFE FLASHING

Reading you'll understand that if you want to be 100% safe, you should flash ONLY "pda" and/or "csc". In case of any error during the flashing, even if you get a non responsive phone stuck on the PC-Phone connection screen, you'll be able to flash the ROM again.

Software required for flashing VZW i920 Omnia

Windows XP with SP3

If you want to use Window Vista, read here;

If you want to use Windows 7 x32, read here;

If you want to use Windows 7 x64, read here)

Samsung_CDMA_modem_4_1_.34.zip

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach...st&id=43383

OCTANS Downloader

OCTANS_Downloader_v2.14.exe ( 920K ) ( use latest version )

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach...st&id=48091

Attached File(s)

WinXP_x32.zip ( 65.14K ) http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach...st&id=40658

WinXP_x64.zip ( 59.43K ) http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach...st&id=40659

Flashing Procedure

The following steps are as suggested by Sorg, there are other procedures which may differ a little (such as not turning the phone off) that still works but this one I've been using and tested myself and always fine:

0) Make sure to install (or to have installed already) the Samsung_CDMA_modem_4_1_.34.zip driver.

1) Make sure your phone is not connected to your PC; if it is, disconnect it.

2) Make sure to Turn off your phone.

3) Start OCTANS and fill required fields/checkboxes Select the PDA buttons and open the .nb0 file.

4) Press "Detect" button.

das7771

******* READ THIS *******

From das7771

(1 - 13 works but it can be a pain )

1. Start windows with device driver signing disabled (F8 at start up).

2. Then once your win7 64 OR 32 bit system is up, open device manager.

3. Turn off the phone and connect it.

4. Once you see the Samsung Mit show up, right click on it and click update driver software.

NOTE: You should have the proper driver one on your PC before this step.

Attached driver File(s)

WinXP_x32.zip ( 65.14K )

WinXP_x64.zip ( 59.43K )

5. Browse my computer for driver software

6. Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

7. Click next (if the phone has disconnected ie battery meter is showing)

8. Click have disk

9. Navigate to the proper driver for win7 64-bit.

10. BEFORE you click on next after selecting the .inf file, unplug and replug the phone back in.

11. Then click next

12. You will see it start to load, and you may need to reboot the computer.

13. If it does ask you to reboot remember to DISABLE device driver on boot up (F8 again).

Before you do step three already have device manager open because the Mobile Devices list which is where you need to go for step four will only show for about 3 seconds after plugging your phone (turned off) in. Once the battery icon begins to show on you’ve waited too long. Once the mobile device list pops up. Click on the arrow next to it and select update drivers. By this time your phone will have disconnected but its ok because you will have already accessed the next menu that you need. Resume to following the instructions to step 10. Make sure that your phone is still off and plug your phone back in and then do step 11(about a second after plugging your phone back in. I would only wait about one sec after plugging the phone in before clicking next as indicated in step 11. The way you can tell if it was successful is to go back to device manager plug your phone back in and click on properties under the samsung mits drivers in Mobile devices and check the driver date. It should be an earlier version now. I also followed the i8000 guide and it never worked unitl AMDZero showed me these steps with a little more detail so credits go to him if it works for you.

:P ;)

I would really read that last paragraph and make sure your MIT Driver is the correct version. I had the same promblem with Octans not recognizing the device until I tried this.

"first, connect your Phone to PC. make sure your phone detected by active sync.. then start open octan, and make sure you're INPUT the Rom file CORECTLY. after that, press detect button, then switch off your phone. after you see download screen on your phone press start button on Octans"

--credit to Monyozt for posting that little bit of info.

Thats how I got my i920 to flash over.

Guest Aaronb1

I'm using xp, so the driver should be ok. I flashed a rom on here once and it worked fine. I tried connecting it to a different computer and it does the same thing. It syncs to the computer fine when it's turned on. I tried starting octans with it turned on and then turning it off and that doesn't work. It still just connects for a sec and then goes to the battery screen. Is there something on the phone that could be wrong I need to change to get it to connect when it's off?

Guest kdkinc
I'm using xp, so the driver should be ok. I flashed a rom on here once and it worked fine. I tried connecting it to a different computer and it does the same thing. It syncs to the computer fine when it's turned on. I tried starting octans with it turned on and then turning it off and that doesn't work. It still just connects for a sec and then goes to the battery screen. Is there something on the phone that could be wrong I need to change to get it to connect when it's off?

try right click on octans icon and run in compatibility mode if you can . I realize you have XP but see if that helps

:) ;)

Guest Aaronb1

It still doesn't help. The driver details I'm getting are

Samsung MIT s USB Sync

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver date: 10/6/2004

Driver version: 4.0.4232.0

Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publ

Is that right? I downloaded the drivers it says to use on here before and if I try to update drivers and go to the Samsung CDMA driver folder for the location it says.

Cannot continue the hardware update wizard.

The wizard could not find a better match for you hardware than the current software you have installed.

Choose what you want to do.

To keep the current software, click finish.

To search again in another location, click back.

Guest Aaronb1

Also on Octans it says this:

[setup] Windows XP

[setup] Download Ram Size :41777920 bytes,(39 MB)

OnDeviceChange \\?\USB#Vid_04e8&Pid_6619#5&11de03ea&0&6#{25dbce51-6c8f-4a72-8a6d-b54c2b4fc835}

Guest Ninja4Hire
Also on Octans it says this:

[setup] Windows XP

[setup] Download Ram Size :41777920 bytes,(39 MB)

OnDeviceChange \\?\USB#Vid_04e8&Pid_6619#5&11de03ea&0&6#{25dbce51-6c8f-4a72-8a6d-b54c2b4fc835}

I may have missed where you said it, but are you using octans full or mini?

Also does the phone boot up completely at all, or does it freeze or crash before it becomes functional? I ask because I want to know if active sync detects the phone.

Guest kdkinc

I know I had a bear of a time loading the drivers BUT I'm using win7/32.

The pluging and un-pluging of the phone while getting the above drivers to load was IMHO critical,PITA

But once its done I haven't had to do it again. I've flashed several time since.

Its got to be the drivers and getting them loaded.

:) ;)

Guest Aaronb1

I'm using octans full. It boots up fine and I can sync with active sync. What is the exact driver I need for this? I had loaded drivers the first time I flashed my phone and it worked fine.

Guest Aaronb1

That said it was for a motorola i920. Is there any setting I have to do on the phone when it's on so that when it's off it'll work right when I try to flash it?

Guest Ninja4Hire
I'm using octans full. It boots up fine and I can sync with active sync. What is the exact driver I need for this? I had loaded drivers the first time I flashed my phone and it worked fine.

That said it was for a motorola i920. Is there any setting I have to do on the phone when it's on so that when it's off it'll work right when I try to flash it?

If you can use active sync, then your phone itself is setup correctly, so I don't know.... I wonder if flashing with the verizon updater would help any or would it even detect your phone?

Guest Aaronb1

Actually I left my phone unplugged for a while and just came back and tried it and it worked. My phone is working now, so thanks for everyone who helped me try and figure this out.