27/May r3 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for Tattoo with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

tattoomcrr2screenie1.pngtattoomcrr2screenie2.pngtattoomcrr2screenie3.png

I'm pleased to present my MoDaCo Custom ROM for the HTC Tattoo! READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE YOU START! No, really, it contains everything you need to know. ;)

About MoDaCo Custom ROMs

MoDaCo Custom ROMs are based on official ROMs - either shipping or leaked. A MCR release is designed to feel as far as possible like a stock ROM, with optimisations, tweaks and complimentary additions that enhance the user experience. The aim of a MCR is to be ultra reliable for use on an everyday device.

Requirements

In order to use this ROM on your device, you must have a custom recovery image installed. You can read more about how to install a CRI on your device in this topic.

Features

• Based on the 1.67.405.6 release
  • Built with the MCR build process which reduces the size and boosts the speed of the ROM
  • MoDaCo Custom Kernel (MCK) featuring additional filesystem support (EXT3, EXT4, CramFS, SquashFS and more), DroidWall support and much more
  • Recompiled Wifi module for new kernel
  • Recompiled tattoo-hack.ko for new kernel
  • Rooted boot image with 'adb remount' permission and superuser APK by ChainsDD
  • busybox 1.15.3 with Droid Explorer support
  • terminfo and settings in boot.img to allow nano etc. use
  • Updated Google Maps
  • System dalvik-cache moved to /cache partition
  • MCR version displayed in 'About' screen
  • Optional dropbear (SSH server, username 'root, port 2222, password displayed in 'About' screen)
  • Optional swapper 0.1.3 for configuring your swap partition
  • Optional A2SD via the online kitchen
  • Optional Market Patch v2 by moneytoo via the online kitchen
  • Optional baked in Wavesecure via the online kitchen (installed to system partition for maximum security)
  • Optional WiFi Status indicator

Please see 2 posts below this one for the changes in each release.

Installation

To install this ROM:
    • Ensure you have a custom recovery image installed (see 'requirements' above)
    • Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and copy to your SD card
    • Restart your device in recovery mode (power on with the volume down button held and select 'Recovery')
    • PERFORM A NANDROID BACKUP FROM THE MENU
    • Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to your memory card
    • Upgrading

No wipe is explicitly required in order to use this ROM, however if you do encounter issues of any kind, it is recommended that you wipe your device and reproduce the issue before raising it here.

Downloads

This ROM is now available in the online kitchen - see the post below for details! In addition to the kitchen, 2 prebaked downloads are available - a version with the default set of MoDaCo additions and a version with no optional additions at all.

Included in default additions - Spare Parts, Titanium Backup, WaveSecure, WiFi Status Indicator, Dropbear
      Excluded from default additions (install via online kitchen) - A2SD, Swapper, Market Patch

r3 ROM with default MoDaCo additions - DOWNLOAD (MediaFire Pro) - MD5: 25e0e0b7b1c099101518bc337810b83f
      r3 ROM without default MoDaCo additions - DOWNLOAD (MediaFire Pro) - MD5: 4e928c8c7b4fdaa0a26aaf74eae005f9

Please note that the download links implement referring checking to avoid deep-linking. If you are redirected to the MoDaCo homepage when you download, try 'right click save as', disabling ad blocking / no script or if all else fails try an alternative browser.

Discussion

Do you want to jump into the discussion at the point the current version was released? Then start at this post! :P

Thanks

I would like to thank all the contributors who worked to make rooting the Tattoo and custom ROMs possible! Particular thanks to moneytoo for the market patch. It's impossible to mention everyone who contributes to the Android community by name, but to everyone out there who does great work and shares it with us all - you have my gratitude and respect.

And finally...

If you would like to show your appreciation for the ROM, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus account, both of which also give you early access to Beta ROM releases and access to the the online kitchens.

Enjoy! :)

P

Changelog

r3

• Updated Google Maps
  • Updated Superuser by ChainsDD
    • Added online kitchen
    • Added fixed tattoo-hack.ko for system remount
    • Added dropbear SSH server option
    • Added A2SD option
    • Added swapper option
    • Added market patch option
    • Updated Google Maps

r1

[*]Initial Release

Guest miloslukic

Did you root your Tattoo?

If you did with one click method recently you probably have Amon_RA's custom recovery image.

Once you boot into recovery mod you can do Nandroid backup.

If you don't have this recovery image you can get it HERE

1) I renamed 1-mcr-tattoo-signed.zip to update.zip

2) Load recovery mode (power+home)

3) switch - apply sdcard:upload.zip

Log:

Verifying update package ...

Installing update

After this

Installation aborted.

What's the problem ?

Guest 5Strogino
1) I renamed 1-mcr-tattoo-signed.zip to update.zip

2) Load recovery mode (power+home)

3) switch - apply sdcard:upload.zip

Log:

Verifying update package ...

Installing update

After this

Installation aborted.

What's the problem ?

You don't have modified recovery. Only custom recovery can prevent checking signed keys.

miloslukic wrote about it

Guest manuvaidya
Eny 1 try it with succes?

yes it installed perfectly.... its really very fast... & i like it. very neatly done. i mean the hack is so inviscible that it looks as if its a new stock ROM. nice work paul. i like your work....

super user part, i like it very much.... waiting for more stable version with more features....

can you add apps2sd & 3g indicator & also handcent sms on your next ROM ??? when can we expect 2.1 on tattoo .. i am really curious please...

A2SD is coming, what do you mean by 3G indicator? Handcent SMS just grab from the market.

I heard that officially 2.1 isn't coming at all...

P

I forget to mention that this ROM also moves your system dalvik-cache only to /cache... freeing up more data space for your, er, data and apps. :)

P

Guest liderzr
Just press 'allow'.

P

I dont see allow button :)

and after about 3 min. i'v got message "Sorry! Activity SU Request (in application Superuser Permissions) is not responding."

Edited by liderzr

Guest Ilkin Jamalli
Did you root your Tattoo?

If you did with one click method recently you probably have Amon_RA's custom recovery image.

Once you boot into recovery mod you can do Nandroid backup.

If you don't have this recovery image you can get it HERE

Thanks a lot. My Tattoo was rooted but installing custom recovery was painful. There is not a correct step-by-step instruction for it. Anyway done recovery now doing backup, just in case. May ask more question though ;-)

One more dull question. Will this ROM unlock my phone from Orange UK?

Edited by Ilkin Jamalli

Guest Ilkin Jamalli
No, it won't alter your SIM unlock. It will remove the branding tho. ;)

P

Thanks Paul, I have removed branding ages ago. Sorry for offtop trying to give everybody a background information.

The problem with Orange UK locked Tattoos' is even HTC can not provide Orange with proper working unlock code. I bought one from Orange for £20 but it does not work. :)

What is needed then for unlocking it? Is that Radio Module needs to be customized?

Edited by Ilkin Jamalli

Guest miloslukic

Is it maybe possible to include new kernel into this rom in the future? I am thinking about kernel from the latest Cyanogen rom for N1. I heard that it improves battery life.

Guest manuvaidya
A2SD is coming, what do you mean by 3G indicator? Handcent SMS just grab from the market.

I heard that officially 2.1 isn't coming at all...

P

paul, sorry for that typo... i wrote 3G indicator... what i meant by that was, how to find out when there is 3G connection available & what symbol you get when u r using 3G service.... if u have access to 3G service, just provide me the screen shot of it while u r using it. i dont have facility to use 3G here please...

one more thing paul, is there any way how i can extract my baseband firmware & upload it here. one of my friend wants my baseband firmware please....

can u upload ur baseband firmware for me here please, because i wanna flash it onto my tattoo & i wanna see if 3G works with simcard(BSNL)....

waiting for ur baseband firmware ASAP please paul.... thanks for everything.... keep up the good work bro....