Creating a GoldCard

Guest PaulOBrien

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ale Baba

Just wanted to add:

If you use Linux, you can simply write the goldcard-data to the partition (also if the SD is still in the phone), by using dd.

sudo dd if=goldcard.img of=/dev/sd? bs=384

Replace "?" with b,c,d or whatever drive letter the system uses.

Guest cc1961
After reading this thread, I thought I would help as best I could.

Have a look at GoldCardTool

No need to install anything but HTC Sync & have the .NET 2.0 framework.

The Goldcard Tool is a blessing and makes the process about 5 - 10 minutes only. And, Windows 7 already has .NET 2.0.

I just uninstalled my old HTC Sync and reinstalled from www.htc.com.

Thank you !

Guest bobo_shk
How to create a GoldCard

This guide explains how to create a GoldCard. A GoldCard is a special SD card which, when inserted into your device, allows you to flash RUU files with a different CID to your own device. For example, if you own a T-Mobile branded device, this will allow you to flash a generic ROM.

Requirements

• Spare microSD card
  • Windows PC (recommended)
  • ADB (part of the tools folder of the SDK, available for download here
  • HxD Hex Editor, available for download here

• Format the microSD card to FAT32 format.
    • Put the microSD card in your device and boot it.
    • Ensure you have unzipped the SDK, then open a command prompt to the extract location. Change to the 'tools directory.
    • Enter 'adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid' and press enter. You should get a very long number which looks like this: 532600bd227d9c0347329407514d5402.
    • Visit this page, paste in your number and reverse it. In our example the result would be 00544d5107943247039c7d22bd002653.
    • Visit this page, enter your reversed number and create your goldcard image, which will be e-mailed to you.
    • Open the HxD hex editor. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you must run the application as administrator.
    • Go to the 'Extra' menu and select 'Open Disk'. Under physical disk, select Removable Disk (your microSD card), uncheck 'Open as Readonly' and click OK. Note that you should select physical disk NOT the logical disk. This is important!
    • Go to the 'Extra' menu again and select 'Open Disk Image'. Open the goldcard image that you received by email.
    • You should now have two tabs - one is your removable disk, the other is your goldcard image. Press OK when prompted for 'Sector Size' (selecting 512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks)) and click OK.
    • Click on the goldcard image tab. Go to the 'Edit' menu, choose 'Select All' then select the 'Edit' menu again and select 'Copy'.
    • Click on the 'Removable Disk' tab. Highlight offset (line) 00000000 to offset (line) 00000170 (including the 00000170 line), then click on the 'Edit' menu and select 'Paste Write'.
    • Click on the 'File' menu and select 'Save', accepting the warning.

You now have a goldcard! :(

P

Thanks to MiSSigNNo!

Guest bobo_shk
How to create a GoldCard

This guide explains how to create a GoldCard. A GoldCard is a special SD card which, when inserted into your device, allows you to flash RUU files with a different CID to your own device. For example, if you own a T-Mobile branded device, this will allow you to flash a generic ROM.

Requirements

• Spare microSD card

• Ensure you have unzipped the SDK, then open a command prompt to the extract location. Change to the 'tools directory.
    • Enter 'adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid' and press enter. You should get a very long number which looks like this: 532600bd227d9c0347329407514d5402.
    • Visit this page, paste in your number and reverse it. In our example the result would be 00544d5107943247039c7d22bd002653.
    • Visit this page, enter your reversed number and create your goldcard image, which will be e-mailed to you.
    • Open the HxD hex editor. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you must run the application as administrator.
    • Go to the 'Extra' menu and select 'Open Disk'. Under physical disk, select Removable Disk (your microSD card), uncheck 'Open as Readonly' and click OK. Note that you should select physical disk NOT the logical disk. This is important!
    • Go to the 'Extra' menu again and select 'Open Disk Image'. Open the goldcard image that you received by email.
    • You should now have two tabs - one is your removable disk, the other is your goldcard image. Press OK when prompted for 'Sector Size' (selecting 512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks)) and click OK.
    • Click on the goldcard image tab. Go to the 'Edit' menu, choose 'Select All' then select the 'Edit' menu again and select 'Copy'.
    • Click on the 'Removable Disk' tab. Highlight offset (line) 00000000 to offset (line) 00000170 (including the 00000170 line), then click on the 'Edit' menu and select 'Paste Write'.

You now have a goldcard! :(

P

Thanks to MiSSigNNo!

hello

pls help me

i go step by step you speak but my device not code me

if i type Enter 'adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid' and press enter in cmd tyoe no such file or directory

pls help me

tnx

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bouriquo

Hi,

I have a htc desire branded orange france, and i would like to know, if i create a goldcard to update to a official ROM not branded, if i must keep the goldcard for other update via OTA or if a update with a other custom Rom file.

Best regards

Guest magnum375

After entering: "Enter 'adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid'" the process starts but aborted with an error "devise not found". Running Windows 7 32, and my Legend is SIM free.

Guest omaro

I asked in i different thread, but this seems more ontopic.

I made a GoldCard out of my only memstick, can i use it as a normal memorycard or do I have to format it in order to use it as before. If I have to format it can I still load custom roms onto my Desire?

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest sysfrog

As some people seem to have problems with obtaining and reversing the MMC card's CID, I've created a small Android application that automatically takes care of that.

Just search the Android market for "Goldcard helper" and it will tell you the correct reversed number that you need to generate a gold card.

Guest Franzl

is it possible, to create a "universal goldcard" (eg. with CID 11111111111111111111111111111111)?

i would create a linux live-cd with tools/scripts for rooting, downgrade hboot, etc and if its possible, it would be great for this :)

edit:

generation works, but i cant test the image, because i have a non-branded desire

Edited by Franzl

Guest Steve Radich (BitShop.com)
type "adb shell "

press enter

next type "cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid'"

:)

On Sprint HTC EVO 4g:

cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc0/*/*/*/cid

Steve Radich

Windows Web Clustered Servers Solutions: www.BitShop.com - Since 1996

Edited by Steve Radich (BitShop.com)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tigris666

Some general goldcard questions it would be nice to have explained in the original post #1 as to me it's not obvious.

a) after flashing, can i swap to a normal SD card (one that isn't a goldcard).

b) does making an SD card into a goldcard ruin it in anyway? e.g. can i still take it out and put it in a card reader or later use it in a camera or something? (if so, is there a way to "undo" the goldcard process)

Reason I ask, i have used the windows app tool to make the 2gb sd card that came with my desire into a goldcard, was very easy only took about 1 min. But I realise now I need a lot more space. So I am off to purchase a nice 16gb or 32gb card. If the answer to (b) is that making a goldcard has no effect on future use, then i will just goldcard the new 32gb card. Otherwise I guess I have to keep the 2gb goldcard on hand and do a swapsie any time I want to flash on a new ROM. However I don't want to lock the 32gb card into being a goldcard that will only work in a phone, as we all change phones eventually i will no doubt want to put that 32gb card into something else at some point.

Edited by tigris666

Some general goldcard questions it would be nice to have explained in the original post #1 as to me it's not obvious.

a) after flashing, can i swap to a normal SD card (one that isn't a goldcard).

:D does making an SD card into a goldcard ruin it in anyway? e.g. can i still take it out and put it in a card reader or later use it in a camera or something? (if so, is there a way to "undo" the goldcard process)

Reason I ask, i have used the windows app tool to make the 2gb sd card that came with my desire into a goldcard, was very easy only took about 1 min. But I realise now I need a lot more space. So I am off to purchase a nice 16gb or 32gb card. If the answer to (:D is that making a goldcard has no effect on future use, then i will just goldcard the new 32gb card. Otherwise I guess I have to keep the 2gb goldcard on hand and do a swapsie any time I want to flash on a new ROM. However I don't want to lock the 32gb card into being a goldcard that will only work in a phone, as we all change phones eventually i will no doubt want to put that 32gb card into something else at some point.

a/ yes you can

b/ you can use it as a normal card.

Guest Basher52

Got a damn new Desire SLCD from Telekom yesterday, goodbye Pulse :D

Its running HBoot 0.75.0000 & Radio 4.08.00.09 and Firmware 1.15.110.11.

I really dont wont to scratch it, because of mising SLCD driver. I know its a stupid question, but can i simply go with a goldcrad to debrnad it?

i downloaded Pauls r6-desire-root package, but need your answers to start rooting. :D

Best regards,

Basher

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Andrea Florio
How to create a GoldCard

Requirements

• Spare microSD card

You now have a goldcard! :P

P

Thanks to MiSSigNNo!

will dd do the same as HxD on linux? (in an easier and faster way??)

dd if=goldcard.img of=/dev/mmcblk0

where /dev/mmcblk0 is the sd card on your linux pc

Guest bllmcleod

hi i had my desire rooted before on 2.1 now i upgraded to 2.2 t-mobile and unrooted phone, my question is will my goldcard image i have on my computer from the 2.1 root be the same for creating a goldcard for this attempted root or will i have to vreate a new goldcard image before i root this time, thanks in advance for any help

Guest neglasavann
How to create a GoldCard

Requirements

• Spare microSD card

You now have a goldcard! :lol:

P

I am new in that but i just like to use my brain. Lol. Anyway i cant mange to write properly in the command to do the goldcard, it says adb is not find or something. Please need some help to go further please. And very good jobs guys.

Can someone explain the steps in an easier way, just to give me the chance to get use to it?

Thanks to MiSSigNNo!

Guest neglasavann
How to create a GoldCard

Requirements

• Spare microSD card

You now have a goldcard! :lol:

P

Thanks to MiSSigNNo!

hi everyone, i would like to know if someone can help me giving me the stuffs step by step. I am new in that if someone can help as soon as possible, cause i can find a way o install androidsdk on my disk.

• 1 month later...
How to create a GoldCard

O'right.

I managed to create a gold card, flashed my HTC Desire with rom from shippedroms now I have one concern: does this sd card is still a gold card? and if so how can I remove it? B) I don't need the gold card now.

Guest lostunsunghero

just wondered if you can reverse the card back to factory after you have created a gold card as i dont have one spare at the moment, i want to use my 8gb sandisk. just need the gold card to debrand and root phone, once ive done that i wont need it anymore.

thanks

edit: sorry should have read the earlier posts before i made this...

edit 2: just ordered a 2gb kingston as a spare card and wondered if i can create a gold card on that and use it with the same phone even though ive already used a different gold card?

Edited by lostunsunghero