HTC Desire root update

Guest PaulOBrien

A quick update - I will have extremely limited Internet access for the next 2 weeks, so there won't be any further progress from me on rooting the Desire until I am fully back online on the 20th April.

The current Desire root status is that I DO have root access in a method that I believe can be replicated on other devices (I have a retail T-Mo device and i've had no issues), however HTC have implemented some rather sneaky protection methods that prevent writing of data to key partitions (boot, recovery, system etc.) which prevent us from enabling custom ROMs etc.

Aside from hoping an engineering SPL (and a way to flash it!) emerges, I do have a number of approaches I plan to try that I hope will unlock the last piece of the Desire puzzle, so don't give up hope just yet... progress IS being made. :P

P

Guest HearThatVoiceAgain
Why don't you share what you have learned so far with other devs and let them work on it while you're on holiday?

While this is a good idea in theory I'm not sure how good it would be in practice. This kind of work requires real, Hardcore devs (ie not the kind that use large chunks of others works and then change some png files AND those devs have to have the desire itself, which is currently not widely available. Of course if such devs exist then this thread would be a good place for them to step up and ask for notes of what Paul has done.

Guest scotch whisky
I'm sure everyone can wait a few weeks :P

What's the big rush to get the phone routed?

I guess the main reason is to allow the installation of Custom ROMs. The only attraction of these as far as I am concerned is the ability, with some of them at any rate, to install apps. to the SD card.

If you have already run out of space on the Desire I can understand the rush if not then what's another couple of weeks?

I can understand the attraction with the Hero as it is officially stuck with 1.5 firmware so there is a real incentive to root.

Guest Karolis

I guess the main reason is to allow the installation of Custom ROMs. The only attraction of these as far as I am concerned is the ability, with some of them at any rate, to install apps. to the SD card.

If you have already run out of space on the Desire I can understand the rush if not then what's another couple of weeks?

I can understand the attraction with the Hero as it is officially stuck with 1.5 firmware so there is a real incentive to root.

Personally I can't wait to test CyanogenMod ROM on Desire (once it's ported of course) + I want APPS2SD and certain root-only apps such as drocap2 and others.

Guest mollermand

For us who lives in countries, where it's still not possible to buy applications on the android market, it's a big rush. We need the option to use "Market enabler" as guick as possible, cause we can't by applications without Marketenabler. As far as I know, the Desire needs to be routed, before we can use "market enabler"

So keep up the good work, Paul

Guest scotch whisky
For us who lives in countries, where it's still not possible to buy applications on the android market, it's a big rush. We need the option to use "Market enabler" as guick as possible, cause we can't by applications without Marketenabler. As far as I know, the Desire needs to be routed, before we can use "market enabler"

So keep up the good work, Paul

Accepted. I'm in the UK so don't have this problem,

Guest danlad79

I agree, for us in the UK there isnt as much of a rush - simply because 2.1 on the desire is the most up to date best android available without any noticeable issues or slowness that a hacked rom could improve on - or could it?

The only things i have wanted so far is google search by voice, which ive managed to get by downloading the APK, and the nexus one 3D gallery, again easily loaded on by installing the apk.

Obviously, a way to access the whole APP Market would be good - as many things dont show up currently, eg Google Earth etc

edit: for google earth, install Astro (file manager). Then, navigate your Desire's browser to http://sites.google.com/site/droidlife10/h...oogle_earth.apk which will download the app. Just run/install it. bingo :P

Edited by danlad79

Guest jazzk
I agree, for us in the UK there isnt as much of a rush - simply because 2.1 on the desire is the most up to date best android available without any noticeable issues or slowness that a hacked rom could improve on - or could it?

The only things i have wanted so far is google search by voice, which ive managed to get by downloading the APK, and the nexus one 3D gallery, again easily loaded on by installing the apk.

Obviously, a way to access the whole APP Market would be good - as many things dont show up currently, eg Google Earth etc

edit: for google earth, install Astro (file manager). Then, navigate your Desire's browser to http://sites.google.com/site/droidlife10/h...oogle_earth.apk which will download the app. Just run/install it. bingo :P

Where can I find the nexus one 3d gallery? Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind, a quick google sorted me out. I was just being lazy :(

Edited by jazzk

Guest nekromantik

good work Paul. :P

Lets hope you guys find a way as only thing i want added to the Desire is Apps2SD and then it will be the perfect handset.

Edited by nekromantik

Guest frogjaw

well actually we DO need to root the device for Orange in france otherwise we have to pay an extra 11€ a month so that we can get "full unlimited internet and email " access.

http://www.journaldugeek.com/2010/04/07/po...s-sous-android/

sorry only found the article in french. but you guys are bright lads and gals i am sure you know how to use google translate :-)

So please try and find a solution.

Guest mollermand
Where can I find the nexus one 3d gallery? Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind, a quick google sorted me out. I was just being lazy :P

It would be nice though, if you would put the link here, where the software could be downloaded, cause I can't find it ;-)

Guest SiX-P4cK

Hi all and specially Paul.

I get my desire this week and i very impatient do be able to root it.

In belgium we don"t see the priced applications in the market. We need market enabler to do see them and buy them.

But to install market enabler we need to be root.

I'd like too import my sms from my WinMo with your WinMoSMSMigrator but same... need to be root.

Then just enjoy your holiday

Guest Kehaan

Hello.

Just brought a Desire here in Denmark, and would also like to get Market Enabler. So i am looking forward to be able to root it ;)

(Coming from a iPhone) So far the Desire is better on every point, but just missing the paid apps. (Please google let me use my money! ;) )

Thanks, looking forward to it ;)

From Kehaan

Guest zaphod0

Coming from a Hero running custom ModaCo 3.2, to a Desire running stock (obviously), its amazing the amount of useful features I've lost!

MoDaCo 3.2 for Hero is a great ROM, I'm really missing some nice feature like having ROOT access, voice search and Wifi tether.

Glad to hear root is obtainable and I really hope to see a custom ROM from MoDaCo in the future! ;)

Guest slaguru
looking forward to root my desire ;)

p.s. iphone, DIE! St. jobs lose the battle..

Like you Im looking forward to my HTC getting rooted (running out of App space all the time, and need WiFi tether), but

Why the upset at the iPhone and Apple.

Has it not occured that our current set of superphones (Desire, Hero, Nexus One, Pre et al) are as a direct result of the work Apple did on the iPhone and bringing it to launch.

I Have both the iPhone and the Desire and still the iPhone blasts the HTC with some of its features inc, Wifi Tether, VPN Connection for IPSEC Groups, App storage management, Speed.

Once the desire is rooted, then (like my Hero before) I will get some of the features I need. However now OS4 is out and I have been playing with that I think Android will have to head to the upgrade path again soon, and that means more fragmentation.

I want both to get better.

Guest h5iangfu
looking forward to root my desire ;)

p.s. iphone, DIE! St. jobs lose the battle..

;)

Wish my freshly arrived Desire may be rooted as easily as I jailbroke my good old Iphone...

90mo left on rom after only 24h using it, and i just installed utilities, forget the games and the GPS app until the root method is coming :P

So Paul, I'm your new big fan ;)

Edited by h5iangfu

Guest slaguru
;)

Wish my freshly arrived Desire may be rooted as easily as I jailbroke my good old Iphone...

90mo left on rom after only 24h using it, and i just installed utilities, forget the games and the GPS app until the root method is coming ;)

So Paul, I'm your new big fan ;)

Same here

8Gb SD card installed and f*** all use as my Desire is rendered all but useless by this stupid policy of not allowing apps to run/install on external storage.

All I can run is Copilot and Mail most of the time without getting these out of storage space issues.