HTC Legend root update

Guest PaulOBrien

A quick update - I will have extremely limited Internet access for the next 2 weeks, so there won't be any further progress from me on rooting the Legend until I am fully back online on the 20th April.

The current Legend root status is that I DO have root access in a method that I believe can be replicated on other devices (I have a retail device and i've had no issues), however HTC have implemented some rather sneaky protection methods that prevent writing of data to key partitions (boot, recovery, system etc.) which prevent us from enabling custom ROMs etc.

Aside from hoping an engineering SPL (and a way to flash it!) emerges, I do have a number of approaches I plan to try that I hope will unlock the last piece of the Legend puzzle, so don't give up hope just yet... progress IS being made. :P

P

Guest jamezelle
A quick update - I will have extremely limited Internet access for the next 2 weeks, so there won't be any further progress from me on rooting the Legend until I am fully back online on the 20th April.

The current Legend root status is that I DO have root access in a method that I believe can be replicated on other devices (I have a retail device and i've had no issues), however HTC have implemented some rather sneaky protection methods that prevent writing of data to key partitions (boot, recovery, system etc.) which prevent us from enabling custom ROMs etc.

Aside from hoping an engineering SPL (and a way to flash it!) emerges, I do have a number of approaches I plan to try that I hope will unlock the last piece of the Legend puzzle, so don't give up hope just yet... progress IS being made. :P

P

Is it superboot that rooted the legend? The reason I ask is that we tried superboot on the eris with no luck, it went down just like when you tried with the tattoo

. It just hung on "booting...". Well however you did it that is great. If you could give some insight on what you did or just point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated. Thanks Paul

-Jamezelle

Edited by jamezelle

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LouiS22
Please? ;)

Don't you read newspapers? ;) Half of the world's airport's are shut down (now reopening). Paul's been stuck on somewhere in the Caribbean I guess. His latest tweet is the following: "Still no flight home, hopefully home for the weekend..."

Edited by LouiS22

Guest magicdroid

ok.. I'm ready.. my Legend is ready... let's get this thing rolling! :huh:

edit: oh.. and goodmorning to you too Paul!

Edited by magicdroid

Guest magicpie1980
Bannedy-ban-ban-ban! :huh:

P

Man that was an excellent wipe;)

I bet he was one of the Google Hackers;)

lol;)

Edited by magicpie1980

Guest chinana

lolz... so paul... how bout the root of legend?

is that possible to be done?

can share ur know how? and also step by step.. pls.. ^^

as im new to smart phone..

tq

Guest Nimmo
lolz... so paul... how bout the root of legend?

is that possible to be done?

can share ur know how? and also step by step.. pls.. ^^

as im new to smart phone..

tq

Try having a look here: http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-lege...-rooting-guide/

The steps are reasonably straightforward to follow. If not, any questions that are asked in the threads there should be able to help you out.