How's the Desire's camera?

Guest Quist09

Guest Quist09

We've all read the varying reviews on the camera noting that it's probably the best HTC has presented to date, although some reviewers seemed more impressed with the photo quality of N1's camera when it came out.

My question is, how would you personally rate the Desire's camera compared to other phones you have experience of (particularly of the same resolution or higher, like the Samsung i900, i8910, Omnia II, HTC HD, HD2, Legend, Nexus One, SE Satio, Xperia X10, etc.)?

Feel free to post samples if you can.

Edited by Quist09

Guest Calamity James
We've all read the varying reviews on the camera noting that it's probably the best HTC has presented to date, although some reviewers seemed more impressed with the photo quality of N1's camera when it came out.

My question is, how would you personally rate the Desire's camera compared to other phones you have experience of (particularly of the same resolution or higher, like the Samsung i900, i8910, Omnia II, HTC HD, HD2, Legend, Nexus One, SE Satio, Xperia X10, etc.)?

Feel free to post samples if you can.

As far as smartphones go I think it's got a very impressive camera, obviously it's not going to be up there with the Cyber-shot on the Sony Ericssons etc, however it's much better than any other smartphone I've used.

I just took a quick photo from my desk at work if you want to have a look. I haven't fiddled with any settings, just fired up the camera and took a picture:

post-621181-1270544087_thumb.jpg

Guest Karolis

As with any camera, the quality depends on lighting conditions / steadiness of your hand :P

Here's a random shot that I took (my hand is not that steady).

Overall, I'm really happy with this camera. Even though it's not as good as the one on my wife's NOKIA N82, but it's waaay better than the one on G1.

post-681803-1270553598_thumb.jpg

Guest Karolis
when will we see an 8 mp camera with xenon flash +720 recording capabilities from htc? ill keep dreaming

720p capabilities should be added to Desire via one of the future updates.

Guest Chad Petree
When will the update become available for the 720p video recording?

I dont think there will be an update to record in 720p EVER! maybe 720p playbaCK, that sounds more reasonable

Edited by Chad Petree

Guest Karolis
I dont think there will be an update to record in 720p EVER! maybe 720p playbaCK, that sounds more reasonable

Why would you say that? Desire camera is capable of 720p.

When G1 came out it didn't have video capabilities at all and it was added with the update.

Guest zippyioa

OK, I took this picture this afternoon using my new HTC Desire. What I have uploaded is totally un-edited!!

The picture was taken in a room with curtains closed, it wasnt pitch black, but there was very little light.

Thinking back to my hero camera, this would have been a blurry mess, barely resembling a cat, but I think the Desire performed admirably (thanks to its flash I guess).

post-8450-1270661683_thumb.jpg

Edited by zippyioa

Guest Chad Petree
Why would you say that? Desire camera is capable of 720p.

When G1 came out it didn't have video capabilities at all and it was added with the update.

Just like you i'd love to have 720 recording capabilities on the desire but im used to companies letting me down, besides if we get a 720p recording update why would we buy the desire succesor? htc must be thinking about that :P

Guest GuyAdams

Just thought that I would add to the thread.

I previously had a Hero and was actually very disappointed with the camera, as previously mentioned in low light settings it was useless. However the Desires camera I have been very impressed with, I'm constantly poking my phone into PC's to take pictures of serial numbers of components and so far this has proven to be excellent with the Desire, of course the added flash helps.

Thanks

Guest nekromantik

The Evo 4G does not have xenon flash, it has dual LEDs.

I am also not so sure about 720P update for Desire, maybe playback as thats possible as it has the hardware.#

Thats the only thing I will miss about my SE C905, no matter how bad that phone is its cam was impressive and I will be downgrading from 8MP xenon to 5MP LED.