I8000 - WM6.5.3 Update 20 March 2011

Guest Gary Crutcher

Guest Gary Crutcher
Hi Gary,

I have installed your latest rom GC_JH2_23689_Lite - you stated that you have patched the security check and signing for this ROM however when i try and copy shell32.exe or any .dll etc so I can make other mods to them I get access denied.

I don't know how easy it is for you to re patch this rom from your romdump.bin to ensure it is successfully patched but it would be appreciated so I can copy and modify these files

Thanks in advance!

BTW love the rom I will be sticking with it if I can get this security\signing issue sorted :)

shell32.dll is "read-only" file. You cannot just copy over it. Use total commander or some other file manager tool and uncheck

the read-only attribute.

Guest mightymouse1045
shell32.dll is "read-only" file. You cannot just copy over it. Use total commander or some other file manager tool and uncheck

the read-only attribute.

Hey man yeah look I already opened your .nbo file in the romtools and sure enough it says it's already patched...

I really have no idea why I can't copy this with Resco Explorer. In fact I used to be able to copy files directly from within windows (any files from the \windows directory on the phone) but now I can't do that either. It's a real mystery and I am stumped.

The only way I could get shell32.exe and aygshell.dll out was to use romextractor run from the phone. Then copying the modified files back over is ok but it bricks the phone. is this something that perhaps is only new with JH2 builds similar to how s3clock can't run with JH2?

http://www.modaco.com/content-page/319101/...parent/page/20/

Cheers - any insight or thoughts from anyone would be helpful

Guest mightymouse1045

the read-only attribute.

Hi Gary - look man would it be tooooooo much to ask for you to make these changes to the shell32.exe and aygshell.dll and post them here for your GCJH2-23689 build, and possibly future builds also?? It really is a straightforward thing to do when you are cooking but for me I have tried everything to get these files out of the rom and patched and then replaced and it just keeps bricking my phone.

I really want transparent taskbars at the top and bottom and the method posted here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=647579

or another in modaco but doesn't talk about levels of opacity which is here:

http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-verizo...ar-transparent/

This is the only method that doesn't involve cropping pictures and allows for varying degrees of opacity from solid to invisible. Man even if you can try it on the above ROM and tell me if there are any variations in the steps involved to get it working with your rom would be brilliant or just an aditional post including a cab file to install for those who want transparent bars - WHATEVER IS EASIEST FOR YOU MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fingers crossed and thanks in Advance dude :)

Cheers,

Peter

Guest Gary Crutcher
Hi Gary - look man would it be tooooooo much to ask for you to make these changes to the shell32.exe and aygshell.dll and post them here for your GCJH2-23689 build, and possibly future builds also?? It really is a straightforward thing to do when you are cooking but for me I have tried everything to get these files out of the rom and patched and then replaced and it just keeps bricking my phone.

I really want transparent taskbars at the top and bottom and the method posted here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=647579

or another in modaco but doesn't talk about levels of opacity which is here:

http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-verizo...ar-transparent/

This is the only method that doesn't involve cropping pictures and allows for varying degrees of opacity from solid to invisible. Man even if you can try it on the above ROM and tell me if there are any variations in the steps involved to get it working with your rom would be brilliant or just an aditional post including a cab file to install for those who want transparent bars - WHATEVER IS EASIEST FOR YOU MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fingers crossed and thanks in Advance dude :)

Cheers,

Peter

I had already done this to the 2 files and have been trying it out.

Here are the 2 files: aygshell.dll and shell32.exe (make a backup before changing these files)

transparent.zip

Guest mightymouse1045
I had already done this to the 2 files and have been trying it out.

Here are the 2 files: aygshell.dll and shell32.exe (make a backup before changing these files)

transparent.zip

You the Man!

And yes I agree - I will be doing a backup first because I have just finished installing all the apps and games and getting the phone setup how I like it - so I would hate to copy these over and brick the phone :)

Couple of questions

1. If I do a rom dump does that capture all settings and everything? so could I do a rom dump and then if the above files brick my phone just flash with the rom I dumped?

2. How can I add or remove things to the home sceen - not just under apps and contacts but say if I wanted to turn off the weather or add resco plugin or facebook chat plugin etc?

3. Can you tell me about the mort scripts you have set to run and if I wanted to disable them if I am manually updating weather, and also what is the sysvar script running on start up for the home sceen actually doing?

Thanks heaps!!!!

Guest TheThingx

Hi Gary,

Very nice ROM, i have been using JH2-23689 lite version, its fast.

I'm very confused about build numbers, i have found this link (http://www.mobileunderground.info/showthread.php?t=444) which had latest builds, and a little explanation in the second post, but still left me confused with many questions: Does microsoft maintain all these builds?, What are the COMx builds?, Whats really the latest bug-free faster code build from these builds?, Is the build with the highest numbers better?.

If the 28xxx build is the latest would you use it to make a ROM?

Please someone show me the light, whats the big picture for Windows Mobile OS builds and versions ???

Also there's no shortcut for samsung clock from start menu, and is the photo program the same as samsung's one?

I have some problems playing flash inside latest opera browser.

P.S: What savings are introduced just by removing languages other than english from the ROM (a ROM with all samsung's original apps just without extra languages)?

Again many thanks for the ROM i'm trying out the JH2 version to satisfy my curiosity, also fast :)

Edited by TheThingx

Guest moxadrian

Congrats GC still one of the best cookers for o2 if not the best.I'm sayng that cause I use your rom again and it's a good one

Edited by moxadrian

Guest moxadrian

I managed to make the weather to autoupdate cause was't working.The problem is the auto_update_weather.ink.Created another one with resco explorer and replaced all of them including the one from windows witch is rom protected

Hi GC,

first of all thanks for the ROM. i am quite happy with the ROM running now. there is a few question i would like to check with you.

1) is there any way we can change the default windows calendar into Touch Calendar when we click on the appointment in the Home Page?

2) when i create a common use apps into the home page, the icon is not showed as per the original icon but give me an red cross icon. how can i solve this?

thanks and hope to heard from you soon.

Guest Gary Crutcher

For those of you with questions about the homescreen, you can get more information about making changes and any errors you may encounter by jumping to GChris's page:

GChris Titanium Home Screen

Since it is his application I am using, he will be able to answer your questions far better than I.

Guest Gary Crutcher

For those of you wanting to know the different branches of Windows development, this has been provided by Da_G at xda-developers:

Originally Posted by Da_G

Branches of WM Development: Here is what all these different version numbers relate to, and a summary of their features.

212xx = AKU1, all builds leading up to and including WM 6.5

213xx = MOT motorola

214xx = ???

215xx = SAM samsung

216xx = HTC htc

217xx = COM1, continuing dev of 6.5.0.1 - 6.5.0.40

218xx = COM2, continuing dev of 6.5.0.50

219xx = MD, feature test branch, pretty much dead now. (unstable features are added here, this tree is based on COM1, so older base OS code, but the UI/UX code is newer)

22xxx = SEMC sony ericsson

*230xx = COM3, continuing development

*234xx = COM4, appears to be abandoned.

*235xx = COM5, more GUI changes here. New Outlook Interface.

*236xx = LG Electronics Branch

*24xxx = Possible HTC branch

*25xxx = SEMC - Sony Ericsson

*280xx, 282xx = WMD. This is a continuation of com3 from 23090. Most of the changes appear to be with IE

235xx is the only branch that has threaded email natively

Guest TheThingx

Thanks Gary for the build numbers.

What is the meaning of COMx / AKU1 / WMD ??

Presuming 28xxx is the latest, can you make a ROM based on that please?

thanks again.

Edited by TheThingx

Guest Gary Crutcher

AKU

An Adaptation kit upgrade (AKU or Adaptation kit update) is a way of updating Microsoft's Windows Mobile.

It is a collection of updates, fixes and enhancements to the tools delivered to hardware device manufacturers to create or update devices based on a specific platform.

COMx

Microsoft has different COM trees which are active. All those branches / trees focus on a certain aspect of the OS and remain active even after the OS has been released.

For the 6.x build there are 5 active COM trees. The oldest (COM1) is the active development tree for 6.1, but it does not spawn many new builds as the focus is now WM 6.5.

COM2 and COM3 share the same base, but after build 23017 the COM3 tree branched off and got the 'new' layout. At this point COM2 remained the active development tree for 6.5 and spawns updates regularly (fixes the current released 6.5 build of Windows Mobile).

COM3 up to build 23088 is the tryout build for the new layout of Windows Mobile (replaces start menu, dropdown taskbar, etc.). This build is very experimental can contain bugs. It will be around for another couple of weeks when it will probably be terminated and integrated into COM5 or now COM8.

COM4 the branch, 234xx, is the (in)active OS development branch. It focusses on updating the main Windows OS (Win CE 5.2). It is known for it's new Outlook interface. It's currently uknown (to me) if it's still active, but it hasn't got any updates in the past few weeks ago. The Outlook updates have been coorporated into the COM3 branch.

COM5 is the branch starting with 235xx, and contains at this point nothing new. It's unknown what the main focus is, but it is likely to replace COM3 and COM4 and integrate all the changes uptill now. This means the other COM trees will die off and become active once the OS get's released (as was the case with COM2 and COM3)...

COM8 is currently the most stable and contain the integration of another experimental branches.

WMD

Can't find anything about the acronym.

Guest TheThingx

Thank you "VERY" much for the explanation, although i still want more info to satisfy my "thirst" :rolleyes:

about the COM5 build do you mean "when the OS is released" that when WM 6.5.5 is officially announced?

also about COM8, if it's the most stable why there are no roms which kernels are based on 28xxx ??

I wish microsoft would make it more clearer on WM msdn page about versions and version numbering....

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NeoElec

Hi, Gary.

How can i adjust the alarm clock volume individually from the system volume?

Also, how can i disable txt msg delivery reports?

This is great and very quick rom,

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Guest NeoElec

Hi, Gary.

How can i adjust the alarm clock volume individually from the system volume?

Also, how can i disable txt msg delivery reports?

This is great and very quick rom,

Thanks for sharing it with us.

hey i m noobie ... can u help me updating the ROM.. i have downloaded

21 September 2010 - GC JH2-23689 Lite and Tools

Attached File OCTANS_Downloader_v2.14.zip ( 341.96K ) Number of downloads: 333 Files

Now wat to do Can u help me pls.....

Guest Gary Crutcher
Hi Gary, Do you think you will have time to cook a 6.5.3 ROM with JI1 and latest windows ?

Will try to this week, but my wife is using the O2 as her phone is in the shop.

Guest bouboule
Will try to this week, but my wife is using the O2 as her phone is in the shop.

Don't want you have problems with your wife !! Take your time ! ;)

I have to pay you a beer in BKK, or 2.

I don't forget. Maybe at the end this month ? You will stay in BKK ?

Edited by bouboule

Guest Gary Crutcher
Don't want you have problems with your wife !! Take your time ! ;)

I have to pay you a beer in BKK, or 2.

I don't forget. Maybe at the end this month ? You will stay in BKK ?

I live in BKK - or I should say the PinkLao area (across the river from BKK) and

yesy I will be here - not going anywhere, ha ha!

Edited by Gary Crutcher