Any news on 2.1?

Guest Carl_Brummy

Guest shokka9
You know, I started this thread as we were drawing near to the supposed 'release date (16th April for Europe), and the mention of potential leaks made be think that Paul *may* have gotten it sooner, but instead I get a load of flaming about 'yet another 2.1 thread', don't forget there was a massive flurry of takers for the initial wave of 2.1 roms like Villian, JNWhite etc, etc

Just shows that the frustration of waiting even longer is impacting on peoples tolerance of a constant reminder of what should be....hopefully blinkin' sooner....

These forums are for everyone to ask questions, share views, opinions and experiences regarding HTC hero. This is not a 'are we nearly there yet' thread, but a simple question if anyone had heard anything concrete....

IMHO, I think if we hadn't already seen the massive improvements between 1.5 and 2.1 we wouldn't be like fat kids all over an ice cream.... ;)

Carl.

The guys you mention are Android addicts bro, they used the ASOP code before 2.1 was about, they are always cooking up something....

Paul has changed his outlook i think, he prefers to use the official ROMS as base builds, as all the drivers, etc are there. No pacthing, no porting, basically no fuc*ing about.

His ROM philosophy is the best, and indeed produces the best, stable and fastest ROMs i have ever used.

When 2.1 is official, then you will see. I personally think a lot of people will be disappointed, because of all the hype.

People are NOT flaming you bro, they are simply telling you to chill out. All these threads ain't gonna make anything happen, trust me.

If you are really really impatient and cannot bear the wait, email HTC and pester them. I am sure they will act on it too ;)

take care....2.1 is nearly here......i heard it on the grape vine.

Edited by shokka9

Guest FenriZ
I tried the Villain 5.22 rom for a day or two, and I am honestly happy to be back on MCR3.2. VillianRom is not bad, but it is extremely slow and laggy compared to our beloved MCR!

I really wanted to like it, but I found it too annoying, and that plus it being somewhat unstable made me go back. Now , I am patiently waiting for Paul to bring us his love.

Kingkeld

Fully agree, but still I stayed with Villain for now... Just like the 2.1 features too much. But I ripped out some hair already because of the damn lags that ROM has...

For the official update, there are some tweets from HTC Russia (@htc_ru), you can translate them with Google. E.g. http://bit.ly/bxBU4t

Information for owners of HTC Hero announce that today held an internal release of firmware 2.1.

We are preparing for a public OTA-release.

3:01 AM Apr 2nd Via CoTweet

HTC_Ru

There are also some more recent tweets which suggest that it will come very soon (a matter of days)... But they want to make sure it has best quality and is bug-free.

Edited by FenriZ

Guest shenshang
Modaco still Rocks the 2.1 ROMS in Daily Use! Yes it Rocks NONRosie ROMS while using Rosie ;) Thats the true ;-)

for the people like me who saw this and took 30 seconds to read it, what he means is:

"For daily use, MoDaCo is still better than the 2.1 ROMs! Even though it uses Rosie, it is still better than the Vanilla ROMs :D That's the truth;-)"

Guest Luffarn

HTC_Ru 1 hour ago via Twitter.

@ androidblog_it update will be DELAYED until end on month.

about 1 Hour ago Via CoTweet in reply to androidblog_it

Dear users of HTC Hero, despite the declaration of technical support service, firmware for HTC Hero today will not work. Apologize.

about 1 Hour ago Via CoTweet

Edited by Luffarn

Now there will be a thread for the release on 30th April.

Why am I not surprised?

I'm actually surprised that Google haven't announced 2.2 already so this update becomes forgotten like 1.6 and 2.0 before it.

Guest Rubber Ducky

That would be awesome... We can wait even longer then. I no longer care about 2.1 or whatever version anymore.

This just shows, despite the fact that HTC is one of the few that actually bring updates to their phones, they are slacking and don't care about their customers or what they say.

It's rediculous that a few dev's are faster than HTC in porting ROMs and updates.

One more thing: Good job HTC, NOT!!!!!

Guest venturerider
It's rediculous that a few dev's are faster than HTC in porting ROMs and updates.

Right. All those 2.1 ROMs out there are all bug free, too. Shame on HTC.

Guest shokka9
All those 2.1 ROMs out there are all bug free, too.

Shame on HTC.

Really, erm i dont think so mate. They are full of bugs. Albeit most of them are not noticeable, but they still have bugs.

Shame on HTC? Where do you think the ported code & OS is from? HTC my friend.

I am getting rid of my Hero; i want a Desire, been playing with an SE Xperia X10, nice, but no multi touch.

Guest scoobytwo
Really, erm i dont think so mate. They are full of bugs. Albeit most of them are not noticeable, but they still have bugs.

Shame on HTC? Where do you think the ported code & OS is from? HTC my friend.

i think you missed the sarcasm.

Guest xTc is loVe
for the people like me who saw this and took 30 seconds to read it, what he means is:

"For daily use, MoDaCo is still better than the 2.1 ROMs! Even though it uses Rosie, it is still better than the Vanilla ROMs :D That's the truth;-)"

Yeah thats what i like to say... My English isnt very good =( But i try to help and say my (meaning?) ;)

Guest Involver

Here's my two cents... HTC release a bunch of new phones, all running the latest OS... WHY should they upgrade their older phones at the exact same time? Makes no sense does it? (hehe, sense)

My guess is that as soon as the Desire and Legend sales have reached a certain number, the Hero will get the upgrade as well, hence all the delays. Not very good practice from a customer point of view, but HTC has a very large retail channel to think of as well and all those 'phonehouses' aren't at all happy when HTC kills all major USP's of their new phones by upgrading older models.

Have a look at Apple, they also upgrade older model iPhones, but not all features will be available on all phones (yes, we all know the 3G can handle it, the big A just won't let it). And in between the major upgrades you get patches and *some* new features/improvements.

It does bother me, but more because of the total lack of clear communication about all of this. That's probably why they call themselves 'quietly brilliant'. I love my Hero (on BeHero!) and though I would very much like to have the official 2.1, we all know it WIL NOT be a Desire and never will be. Period!

Waiting on 2.1 for the Hero has nothing todo with getting the latest firmware, it is all about *when* to get a new phone and waiting on 2.1 is just an excuse for not getting one...

Having said that - I'll wait ;-)

Rgds - David

Guest AXIS of Reality

Nah, HTC's only mistake here is announcing the 2.1 update.

If they hadn't said a word and all of a sudden "hey, looky here, free 2.1 for Hero owners!" when it's finished, everyone would be singing their praises.

Instead they announce it early, everyone gets excited, delays happen as they usually do and then everyone gets annoyed and frustrated from the waiting more than if they thought there wasn't an update coming at all.

I guess that's why Apple prefers to announce products or updates days before they go on sale (although iPad and iPhone OS 4.0 were unusually early announcements).

Guest whiteythomson
Nah, HTC's only mistake here is announcing the 2.1 update.

If they hadn't said a word and all of a sudden "hey, looky here, free 2.1 for Hero owners!" when it's finished, everyone would be singing their praises.

Instead they announce it early, everyone gets excited, delays happen as they usually do and then everyone gets annoyed and frustrated from the waiting more than if they thought there wasn't an update coming at all.

I guess that's why Apple prefers to announce products or updates days before they go on sale (although iPad and iPhone OS 4.0 were unusually early announcements).

You took that word for word from another site!!!

Guest AXIS of Reality

Lol actually I didn't copy it from anywhere, I just wrote what I was thinking.

Link please?

I'd love to see if I have a mysterious twin writing the exact same as I do! =D Creepy, but awesome!