thekevster's DC22 6.5 ROMs 23563

Guest thekevster

Guest thekevster

i just want to say thank you to all the people who have helped everyone with the the problems they have posted in this thread. i know i havent been active very much at all lately and i'm so glad yall stepped in to help, especially robertjm and xcapone. unfortunately, i still wont be active very much. i have too much on my plate and there are new people in my life that i need to devote more of my time to. i'm not saying i'm never going to cook again, but i am saying that i am taking a break from cooking. i will provide minor updates like SYS updates when i can and try to help with problems that people are having, just dont get your hopes up for any major updates any time soon.

Guest kukudm

Thank you Kev. You cook one of the best ROM's I've ever used.

I have an annoying problem with the earlier DC22 23563 Titanium. On two occasions, I had my phone completely crashed to the point where I have to poke the reset button. It went like this: I was typing a SMS but decided to cancel it, the text messaging program would then become stuck and crash my phone. I was able to open up Task Manager, but upon ending the Text Messaging program, it would then just totally crash the phone.

The 1st crash occurred with zero 3rd party programs installed. The 2nd crash happened today, and I only have Swype 2.0 installed now.

Any idea on possible fixes to this issue?

@Kev, did you happen to touch upon any text messaging related issues in your latest 23563 ROM?? If so, maybe I should give it a try. But I'm kinda reluctant to flash it again, because the previous 23563 is just too good :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot.

Guest jho101

Kevster, you rule. Thanks for everything.

i just want to say thank you to all the people who have helped everyone with the the problems they have posted in this thread. i know i havent been active very much at all lately and i'm so glad yall stepped in to help, especially robertjm and xcapone. unfortunately, i still wont be active very much. i have too much on my plate and there are new people in my life that i need to devote more of my time to. i'm not saying i'm never going to cook again, but i am saying that i am taking a break from cooking. i will provide minor updates like SYS updates when i can and try to help with problems that people are having, just dont get your hopes up for any major updates any time soon.

Guest robertjm

No problem Kev! Yours has been the most stable of the ROMs I've used since I started using custom ROMs in early April, and I can remember when I had problems early on and scratching my head :rolleyes: One of the things to put on your To Do list is to figure out what's up with the FM Radio settings. As far as I know, that hasn't been resolved, right?

KUKUDM: I actually experienced the same problem myself. It would lock up the phone tighter than a drum. Ended up pulling the battery out to get the phone working again. Wish I could say I had a fix for it. I just ended up not canceling SMS.

Later,

Robert

Guest kukudm

@Robert, are you using the latest upload from kev? Or the previous V2?

No problem Kev! Yours has been the most stable of the ROMs I've used since I started using custom ROMs in early April, and I can remember when I had problems early on and scratching my head :rolleyes: One of the things to put on your To Do list is to figure out what's up with the FM Radio settings. As far as I know, that hasn't been resolved, right?

KUKUDM: I actually experienced the same problem myself. It would lock up the phone tighter than a drum. Ended up pulling the battery out to get the phone working again. Wish I could say I had a fix for it. I just ended up not canceling SMS.

Later,

Robert

Guest robertjm

v2. Haven't had the time/need to switch to the latest as of yet.

@Robert, are you using the latest upload from kev? Or the previous V2?

Guest iBond007

Hello :(

I am new to this installing ROMs, etc. so plz bare with me.

I have been following "thekevster's" posts. Seems like he has the best cooked ROMs. I am ready to install it on my i910. Before I go forward, could someone plz explain the difference between M2D, Titanium, and other available ROMs? Which one should be installed? I have upgraded my phone to DC22 from VZW.

There are few many terms used in these posts but will ask later when need to :(

Thank you in advance.

Guest robertjm

iBond007,

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of flashing!!

Take a look at the screen shots in the very first post of this thread for examples.

Titanium is the first shot in the upper left hand corner. It's like the basic one that comes with WM 6.5, with the scrolling list of names.

M2D stands for Manila2D and all the other screenshots in that block of nine are included in that.

Flotanium includes BOTH interfaces. It defaults to Titanium, but you can start M2D by clicking on the TouchFlo tab at the bottom. Think of Flotanium as the "best of both worlds" in that you can access information one way, but change to the other as you wish.

As to which one should be installed? That's personal preference. I used to be a huge fan of Titanium. Simplicity at its easiest and you scroll up and down the main menu. However, I switched over to M2D because I really wanted the big clock displayed on my phone on a regular basis and I wanted to save some room for other programs. There is effectively NO functional difference between the two. It's only in how you get to your programs.

Personally, I'd suggest installing the Flotanium version so you can play around with both interfaces and then you can always flash either the M2D-only or Titanium-only version if you really like one of them.

Good luck and remember that the forums are your friend. Spend some time surfing through the i910 Specific Omnia ROM discussion board and chances are you will find the answers you're looking for.

Here's a thread with information on how to flash custom ROMs. The instructions were written and point to CF03, but the methods for flashing a DC22 custom ROM are the exact same. You'll want to read over the section on flashing using the UMDL method.

Also, it goes without saying, but I will still say it. FLASHING MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE IF NOT DONE CORRECTLY. DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. Read over the instructions and take your time, and you should be OK. :(

Later,

Robert

Hello :o

I am new to this installing ROMs, etc. so plz bare with me.

I have been following "thekevster's" posts. Seems like he has the best cooked ROMs. I am ready to install it on my i910. Before I go forward, could someone plz explain the difference between M2D, Titanium, and other available ROMs? Which one should be installed? I have upgraded my phone to DC22 from VZW.

There are few many terms used in these posts but will ask later when need to :(

Thank you in advance.

Edited by robertjm

Guest iBond007

Thank you Robert for taking your time to explain. It helped a lot. (your last warning scares me though :( )

Is there a thread where it explains the difference between all the build numbers? like 23563... and so on?

I am going to go for Flotanium since I like both Titanium and M2D.

Thank you.

iBond007,

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of flashing!!

Take a look at the screen shots in the very first post of this thread for examples.

Titanium is the first shot in the upper left hand corner. It's like the basic one that comes with WM 6.5, with the scrolling list of names.

M2D stands for Manila2D and all the other screenshots in that block of nine are included in that.

Flotanium includes BOTH interfaces. It defaults to Titanium, but you can start M2D by clicking on the TouchFlo tab at the bottom. Think of Flotanium as the "best of both worlds" in that you can access information one way, but change to the other as you wish.

As to which one should be installed? That's personal preference. I used to be a huge fan of Titanium. Simplicity at its easiest and you scroll up and down the main menu. However, I switched over to M2D because I really wanted the big clock displayed on my phone on a regular basis and I wanted to save some room for other programs. There is effectively NO functional difference between the two. It's only in how you get to your programs.

Personally, I'd suggest installing the Flotanium version so you can play around with both interfaces and then you can always flash either the M2D-only or Titanium-only version if you really like one of them.

Good luck and remember that the forums are your friend. Spend some time surfing through the i910 Specific Omnia ROM discussion board and chances are you will find the answers you're looking for.

Here's a thread with information on how to flash custom ROMs. The instructions were written and point to CF03, but the methods for flashing a DC22 custom ROM are the exact same. You'll want to read over the section on flashing using the UMDL method.

Also, it goes without saying, but I will still say it. FLASHING MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE IF NOT DONE CORRECTLY. DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. Read over the instructions and take your time, and you should be OK. :(

Later,

Robert

Guest robertjm

Kev,

I downloaded the M2D version "new" from your 4shared account and flashed it yesterday. (was there a reason why you don't have active links here anymore?).

Today I noticed that when I get a new SMS msg in it appears as a big white box (screenshot attached). If I hit reply or forward the actual msg text IS filled in, so there's definitely stuff there. Email displays just fine. Any ideas?

I did try and update my M2D with a flash-based calendar, but that was supposed to only effect the TV tab.

Any ideas?

Robert

post-369404-1275159723_thumb.jpg

Edited by robertjm

Guest robertjm

Look for the thread on Lioryte's base ROM, here in the 910 section. In a nutshell they are different comm files and some use threaded email vs. non-threaded, and some have updates to Internet Explorer.

DC22 doesn't have nearly as many options probably.

Perhaps one of the chefs here can explain better as a lot of it makes my head start to spin!

Robert

Thank you Robert for taking your time to explain. It helped a lot. (your last warning scares me though :( )

Is there a thread where it explains the difference between all the build numbers? like 23563... and so on?

I am going to go for Flotanium since I like both Titanium and M2D.

Thank you.

Guest iBond007

Okay, I downloaded UMDL ver 2.3 for Omnia. Launched, tried both profile (with and w/o DPRAM). Click on PDA and selected path to the Flotanium bin file. LEft everything to default. Selecgted Detect. turned on the phone while connected to the computer. Nothing happens. UMDL shows as "No device detected. I waited almost 10 mins. (Followed "Method #2 as instructed on the how to thread).

What is the problem here? Please help!

Guest ChillyCat
Okay, I downloaded UMDL ver 2.3 for Omnia. Launched, tried both profile (with and w/o DPRAM). Click on PDA and selected path to the Flotanium bin file. LEft everything to default. Selecgted Detect. turned on the phone while connected to the computer. Nothing happens. UMDL shows as "No device detected. I waited almost 10 mins. (Followed "Method #2 as instructed on the how to thread).

1st of all........ simply have your phone power'd up. [forgetabout the turning on thing]

Click on PDA and selected path to the Flotanium bin file

click on the detect at bottom[ish]

Now, just do a soft re-set [lil hole next to pwr button]

Flash will now begin....after seeing and clicking on 3-4 usb pop-up boxes

this above method has worked for me at least 50 times

Guest robertjm

Let's back up even farther.

If your phone is still in working order with contacts you want to save, make sure to sync any contacts you have. I'd suggest installing Microsoft's My Phone if you haven't already done so. It's helped me more than once when I've inexplicitly lost my contacts both online and on the phone because they move any "deleted" contacts into an archive that you can resurrect should you need to, and will only delete them when YOU delete them. My Phone will recognize your phone after the sync as needed to be refreshed and will reload your contacts onto the phone.

Open up ActiveSync or WMDC (whichever you have installed) and make sure to UNCHECK the "allow connections by..." boxes for USB and Bluetooth. I also uncheck the third box down (auto-authentication??) just for the sake of it. Not sure it's necessary. Perhaps you have this set to run on connect and it's grabbing the phone connection automatically.

I'm going to differ from Chillycat as I've never done it his way. Not saying his won't work it's just that it's the first time I've seen instructions that way.

Turn phone off and now connect phone w/USB cable to computer.

Open UMDL, select PDA and then find the flotanium file. There should be an orange bar that moves all the way to the right as it's loading the flotanium ROM. Once it's finished loading click the detect button and quickly turn the phone on.

The screen on your phone should turn black and you will see a progress notification on the screen telling you it's loading. Once completed your phone will reboot and it will be OK to disconnect it from the USB cable.

After all that is done don't forget to reset your settings in Activesync/WMDC or you might be scratching your head later trying to figure why you can't sync your phone. Been there..done that. :(

Also, don't forget the ROM will take a long time to start the first time, sitting on an orange Windows screen for what seems like an eternity. This is the price we pay for not being able to successfully use the cross hairs to calibrate the screen.

First thing to do once the phone loads is to sync your contacts using MyPhone. Note, the ROM has an older version of MyPhone so part of the resync process will be to ask you to update the version on the phone after you're flashed the new ROM. Do so).

Robert

Guest iBond007

UPDATE::: Waiting on the Orange Windows bootup screen... like you said...waiting seems eternal :()))

UPDATE::: Just tried again...it's downloading to the phone... I assume unchecking the bluetooth along with USB connection helps. Also, unchecked auto-authentication (third) as u stated.... Also, in UMDL, the bar is blue, not orange or green...

will update once done... (Sorry writing in hurry...)

Robert,

I have been following the instructions as found here on the forum...USB configuration, UMDL process, etc...no luck..after connecting and turning on the phone, PC starts charging my phone....that's all. Also, Note that once I select the flotanium.bin file, I get green bar while reading the file, not orange as you stated. Not sure if this indicates something.

I have not tried Chillycat's method yet since I was at lunch...however, was very close to try until I saw your reply...

Thanks,

Edited by iBond007

Guest robertjm

My bad (twice).

You are correct on the color. I was doing that from memory. It is blue.

Also, I forgot to tell you that when the orange screen appers to tap on the upper lefthand corner (where it is black) and it will eventually load the OS.

Sorry about that.

Robert

Guest iBond007

Robert :(

I just read your reply. All this time I was waiting on the orange screen, hoping that I didnt turn my phone into a brick :(

Anyway, I just tapped on the screen. Seems like good to go...will activate using 228 and so on...

Thank you.

Thanks to everyone for their support. :o and informative threads...

My bad (twice).

You are correct on the color. I was doing that from memory. It is blue.

Also, I forgot to tell you that when the orange screen appers to tap on the upper lefthand corner (where it is black) and it will eventually load the OS.

Sorry about that.

Robert

Guest robertjm

Glad it was something as simple as that!! Again, sorry I didn't think to write that the first time.

Robert

Robert :(

I just read your reply. All this time I was waiting on the orange screen, hoping that I didnt turn my phone into a brick :(

Anyway, I just tapped on the screen. Seems like good to go...will activate using 228 and so on...

Thank you.

Thanks to everyone for their support. :o and informative threads...

Guest iBond007

Robert,

no problem about the orange screen..,my bad i didnt take notes when was reading all the threads before installing. anyway...

I was expecting to see colorful bubbles in the background after installing flotanium...instead it is black and white bg. did i download the wrong version?

Kev, awesome work.

just wanted to notify that while playing with all the features I ran into some bugs...

1. Once I check on Location On to turn on GPS, and then click on green check mark (ok) nothing happens. Screen freezes.

2. Input screen. After changing to Letter recognizer options, clicking on ok doesnt complete the action. clicking on the Windows start button (bottom right) doesnt work. Cannot return to home screen or the previous screen. Had to power on/off to go back...

Thank you.

Edited by iBond007

Guest timmyk465

I am trying to replace the phat fingers dialer that came with this rom, and use the Vekkio Nero black dialer. I previously had this dialer working on BlazingWolf's WM7 black rom, and one of waremike's roms.... is there a reason why I cannot install and use a new dialer with this rom? I have already gone into the registry and verified that:

HKLM/Security/Phone/Skin

Enabled: 1

Even when I change the value to 0, the phatfingers dialer seems to stay up.

VEKKIO_dialer_for_i910.cab

Edited by timmyk465

Guest robertjm

Hi Timmy,

I tried installing it myself. It installs. The phone restarts, but the keyboard does not show up in the input selector, nor in SIPChange either so I'm not sure what to tell you.

Perhaps there's someone here more versed with changing dialers than me?

Robert

I am trying to replace the phat fingers dialer that came with this rom, and use the Vekkio Nero black dialer. I previously had this dialer working on BlazingWolf's WM7 black rom, and one of waremike's roms.... is there a reason why I cannot install and use a new dialer with this rom?

Guest timmyk465
Hi Timmy,

I tried installing it myself. It installs. The phone restarts, but the keyboard does not show up in the input selector, nor in SIPChange either so I'm not sure what to tell you.

Perhaps there's someone here more versed with changing dialers than me?

Robert

It appears to have been a problem in the past with phatfingers dialers...

http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-h...default-dialer/

The keyboard shouldn't change, and the dialer won't show up as an input selector. When skin is enabled in the registry, it should revert to the samsung dialer. anyone else have any ideas? I love this rom, but I just don't enjoy the dialer.

Guest robertjm

Timmy,

I just flashed Pep's Lite ROM, which does NOT include PhatFingers at all. Again, installed the Vekkio cab file, but still nothing showing up, so the problem may not necessarily be with PhatFingers, but with installing a cab originally designed for the i900 Omnia.

Found a theme on Modaco which had a link to the Vekkio dialer, which is in Italian and problems with getting the dialer to work on the i910. Unfortunately, there is no clear answer through the entire thread as to anyone getting it working. Did you actually use that .cab to get it working on your phone under a different ROM, or was that dialer already cooked into the other chef's ROM?

Robert

It appears to have been a problem in the past with phatfingers dialers...

http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-h...default-dialer/

The keyboard shouldn't change, and the dialer won't show up as an input selector. When skin is enabled in the registry, it should revert to the samsung dialer. anyone else have any ideas? I love this rom, but I just don't enjoy the dialer.

Guest robertjm

iBond007,

You installed version 1. Kev had a black fine patterned background in that one. Go back and download v2. If you look at the first post you'll see what the background should look like. A fair amount of black with some yellow/orange/red bubles in the middle section.

As for the button problems, there are two options to get out of something sometimes. If there is a menu option out of the program, click the menu and look for an Exit option. If nothing is there, you can also sometimes click on the "End Call" hard button to get back to the main screen.

Try installing the v2 ROM and see if that cures your other malodies.

Robert

Robert,

no problem about the orange screen..,my bad i didnt take notes when was reading all the threads before installing. anyway...

I was expecting to see colorful bubbles in the background after installing flotanium...instead it is black and white bg. did i download the wrong version?...

Guest thekevster
Robert,

I was expecting to see colorful bubbles in the background after installing flotanium...instead it is black and white bg. did i download the wrong version?

Kev, awesome work.

just wanted to notify that while playing with all the features I ran into some bugs...

1. Once I check on Location On to turn on GPS, and then click on green check mark (ok) nothing happens. Screen freezes.

2. Input screen. After changing to Letter recognizer options, clicking on ok doesnt complete the action. clicking on the Windows start button (bottom right) doesnt work. Cannot return to home screen or the previous screen. Had to power on/off to go back...

Thank you.

iBond007,

You installed version 1. Kev had a black fine patterned background in that one. Go back and download v2. If you look at the first post you'll see what the background should look like. A fair amount of black with some yellow/orange/red bubles in the middle section.

As for the button problems, there are two options to get out of something sometimes. If there is a menu option out of the program, click the menu and look for an Exit option. If nothing is there, you can also sometimes click on the "End Call" hard button to get back to the main screen.

Try installing the v2 ROM and see if that cures your other malodies.

Robert

the main menu button has been mapped to OK/Close to compensate for the bug where the check/ok button doesnt close certain settings screens. this is a bug universal to all 6.5 ROMs on the i910.