14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest afiorillo
I did the complete root again including rootupdate and factory wipe, then I tried again and I have the same error with verification problem of app2sd zip...

Have you tried to re-download the ZIP file? And, once downloaded, to open it with WinZip (or a similar tool) and to issue a "Test" command?

Guest afiorillo
Up !!!

That answer was posted multiple times along this thread, here's once more: you'll find English, Francais and Deutsch along with your SIM' default language (I found Italian, others found different languages).

Hey Paul, I may be over-simplifying things, but is there any other reason than Windows not keeping proper permissions on the files that go over from recovery-xxx.sh? there isn't a possibility of having a script that get's pushed over, made executable, then sets the proper permissions again, on the phone? That way, even if Windows does lose 'em, they'll be 'recreated' on that side, rather than just maintained by the transfer. I don't know

Karolis, have you tested this completely, as in connected another device to your Desire and it all worked? I've just tried to connect my laptop there and it wouldn't work. The app looked like it was working fine, but the lappy wouldn't pick up an IP address at all, it didn't even look like there was a DHCP server there at all and a Bluetooth service search didn't turn up the PAN profile that it was supposed to open either. Did both of these work for you?

You can't run the script you push over until you've pushed the other files over intact, so no!

P

Guest sparklehedgehog
Are you using a real USB card reader?

Are you sure you properly select things in the hex editor? You'll have to select the hexadecimal numbers in the center column, not the far right characters, nor the offsets on the left.

how do you stop it automatically selecting the right hand column along with the centre as it just does it when you select all?

p.s. thanks for any help.

Guest BeRtjh

P,

are you currently working on a CM installation? Would like to run it on my phone. (not pushing you to do so, just like the info hehe).

Guest aherbjornsen
I'm pretty confident a root completely from Windows will never be possible using this method.

Can you be more specific as to what the problem is? From your tweets I'm suspecting it might be getting execute access on /system/bin/sh?

Guest theboxman

Hey all,

Wondered if anyone could comment on my pro's and cons from page 13 of this topic along with any work-arrounds.....Really should have phrased it so that they appeared more obvious questions.

Here are a few of the more pressing points....but if someone could comment on my page 13 post I'd also appreciate it.....as I'm very new to tinkering with android. I've custom firmware updated PSP fats, and slims - using gamesave hacks and every incarnation of pandora, I've modchipped and softmodded original xbox's, I've modchipped and homebrewed the Wii, I've unlocked and ROM upgraded the Blueangel, the Hermes, and the Diamond, I installed Android on my HTC Diamond....it seems only natural that I should wnat complete control over my Desire....I'm a linux user of some experience - although no linux god! I say all this to say that while I have experience under my belt on other devices I'm completely new to the world of 'rooting' on android so please have patience with seemingly idiotic questions!

1. Is spanish available on this ROM?

2. Will I lose all the stuff I've currently set up?

3. Will backup to SD settings save information/programs?

4. Can I backup all of the apps so that I won't need to re-download everything once rooted?

5. Will I lose all of the nifty HTC widgets and customisations?

Is this confirmed working with Orange UK - I saw a couple of people talking about simlocks being triggered. Is this true? Have we a work around?

Guest Karim Ahmed
I also noticed that with the Arabic fonts installed, the Flash screen doesn't show the "Silently Brillient" under the HTC logo, and doesn't play the intro sound. The screen shows HTC logo for a few seconds, then goes black until the OS finishes loading.

Same here except that the following crashes for me Internet browser, Flicker, Twitter (sometimes), and Exchange mail

Guest Nsonic101
Have you tried to re-download the ZIP file? And, once downloaded, to open it with WinZip (or a similar tool) and to issue a "Test" command?

yes, I re-downloaded the zip file, copied it again to sd card. Performed new root flash. then went to recovery mode, tried to flas a2sd and still getting the same error with verification...I don't know what do to...

Guest sucramco

Well a special thanks to Paul.

Aslo a thanks to everyone who has added something important that works.

I have never used Linux before, although it took my head for a spin I got there in the end. I even managed to install the A2SD. I am currently installing as many apps as I can to see if that has worked. The morale of the story is keep reading this thread over and over, take the advice where people have had problems, learn and understand. Pretty much every answer is here. Don't post for an answer that has been given or you will get ribbed. You need patience. It took two hours for me to do the gold card and the root. Then half an hour to install the A2SD.

So once again thanks to all. I will now set up an ad free account.

Guest waterc00l

i've installed ubuntu in VirtualBox on my W7 PC (root is already done).

when i plug in my phone and use gparted, i can't see any partitons on my sd.. is that a normal behaviour? Everything is ok with my partitions i think, just want to extend the ext3 a bit

it seems i have only access to the fat32 partition @ virtualbox?

Edited by waterc00l

Guest Emmepi
That answer was posted multiple times along this thread, here's once more: you'll find English, Francais and Deutsch along with your SIM' default language (I found Italian, others found different languages).

Finally Thanks !

Guest Odiebla

Just to let you know I've just performed this update on a Dutch Desire and the procedure is flawless. I've used a Windows XP and Mac (Snow Leopard) for this.

A few hints for anyone who wants to try it:

1 - read the entire procedure and understand every bit of it

2 - read the procedure again, and again, and again.

3 - did I mention to read the procedure again?

4 - verify your desire matches the version mentioned in the procedure, DO NOT ATTEMPT rooting if it doesn't match the compatible versions

5 - perform the procedure *exactly* as Paul wrote, do not skip steps (because you think it does not apply to you)

6 - Don't use VirtualBox, it might work but only if you know how to handle the USB device coupling. I haven't tried it myself but I've experienced problems with VB in the past while hacking Nitdroid onto my Nokia N810 tabled (hint: a USB filter matching all will help to connect the device, don't try if you don't know what you are doing)

7 - Do not start the procedure if you don't feel comfortable with linux/mac, you don't know what SDK and sudo means. Then this procedure is not for you, you risk damaging your precious phone.

For the moment I've only applied the rooted image, I'll look at app2sd later:

bash-3.2# ./adb shell

# id

uid=0(root) gid=0(root)

A big thank you to Paul and all who made this possible, as my sign of gratitude I'll sign up for and Ad-free account and I encourage all others to do the same. Only this way people like Paul will continue to support our root needs ;-)

Guest blackfox888

My desire is rooted apps2sd installed and Radio updated

Follow guide to the tee, but was stuck on the Linux stage, got it working in terminal. I'm really happy! btw I can confirm Linux in VMWare worked

Massive thanks you to Paul!

Guest Nsonic101

Can please somebody help with error while trying to flash a2sd? after performing root flash in recovery mode I want to install a2sd from zip file on the sd card but I am constantly getting this error:

Install from sdcard...

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

E:No signature (53 files)

E:Verification failed

Installation aborted

tried everything, re-download the a2sd.zip file, re-flesh root with factory wipe, everything. And at when I try to install the a2sd I'm always getting this error...Please help. Thanks

Guest SiX-P4cK
Awesome, just rooted a Desire entirely from TinyCoreLinux. Makes the process a lot more user friendly! :-D

P

The first liveRootCd is on the road :huh:

@All

I think its easier to use dd to write the goldcard.img to the SD-Card.

When you have your ubuntu up, open a terminal and get root by sudo -s

then do a

root@muc-florian:~# fdisk -l | grep "3965 MB"

root@muc-florian:~# fdisk -l | grep "3965 MB"

Disk /dev/sdf: 3965 MB, 3965190144 bytes

to check what device your sdcard is.

As you see mine is /dev/sdf but most likely it will be /dev/sdb

Now we are getting serious.

Change to the location where you saved the goldcard.img (for example /home/ubuntu/Downloads)

cd /home/ubuntu/Downloads

dd if=goldcard.img of=/dev/sdf

where /dev/sdf is your sdcard.

@Nsonic101

your goldcard is not working.

BR

phlo

Guest sucramco
The first liveRootCd is on the road :huh:

LOL, I would have gone to bed at 11.30pm instead of 2 am if I knew this was going to be ready. Then again so would everyone else. Still, I did learn a lot, or was it read a lot.

Guest DiGiTaL iNSaNiTY

I've got a Orange UK supplied HTC Desire,

The root process went fine, but after applying the 32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2 Radio update (from recovery)

my phone now boots up and says "Network Locked"

Does anyone have the original Radio I can re-apply ?

Thanks

** Sorry just noticed the following thread which addresses this **

Edited by DiGiTaL iNSaNiTY

Guest Kali-
Karolis, have you tested this completely, as in connected another device to your Desire and it all worked? I've just tried to connect my laptop there and it wouldn't work. The app looked like it was working fine, but the lappy wouldn't pick up an IP address at all, it didn't even look like there was a DHCP server there at all and a Bluetooth service search didn't turn up the PAN profile that it was supposed to open either. Did both of these work for you?

+1

i have also read some one have got titanium backup work, but there always fail the root check

Edited by Kali-