14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest cschmitz
ok give up please paul get that vidieo done for us total noobies nearly flung the thing again give up i think my only salvation is the video now looking forward many thanks.

If you can not follow the Postings which state everything in clear writing you shouldnt root your phone since you will badword up and blame "teh internet".

- Flash zip from sdcard

- Wipe

As far is i can understand the guide seems to tell me that there would be an option under "-Wipe" to apply an update zip from sdcard, but the only things i see under "-Wipe" is:

- Wipe data/factory reset

- Wipe cache

- Wipe Dalvik-cache

- Wipe SD:ext partition

- Wipe battery stats

- Wipe rotate settings

so i dont really see any options for this, correct me if i'm wrong

Do all the wipes, go back to the main menu, then click the flash zip from sdcard. If thats too complicated->iphone

Guest Lisai_dk
Do all the wipes, go back to the main menu, then click the flash zip from sdcard. If thats too complicated->iphone

Thanks a lot, working like a charm.

Guess i were just scared to do anything wrong :P.

Guest marvi0
If you can not follow the Postings which state everything in clear writing you shouldnt root your phone since you will badword up and blame "teh internet".

hese

dude, paul said he would make a video, because he probably does acknowledge, theirs those of us, who are not good at following directions, and would benefit from these videos, ok unfortunatly, when others, were learning computers, i had enough on my plate at medical school, so please if paul will make a video, am sure theirs many who would benefit. i rest my case.

Guest Paul

First post updated - root is now here for devices 0.80.xxxx hboot and under, and ROM 1.21.xxx.x and under. Enjoy! :P

P

Guest WolfspiritM

Hello.

I had the following issue:

FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

With Windows 7 64bit

But I've found a solution!!

Everybody with the same error try the following:

Open the step1-windows.bat with a texteditor (notepad doesn't display the lineending correctly. Try wordpad)

Now you see everything the Batch file is doing.

Instead of typing "step1-windows.bat" copy and paste every line you can see in there ( you don't have to copy the echo lines):

fastboot-windows.exe erase cache

fastboot-windows.exe oem rebootRUU

fastboot-windows.exe flash zip testimage.zip

NOW...when this error appears again WAIT until the HTC logo appears again and windows has successful recognized the device again!

Now type:

now it shoud work.

The last step:

fastboot-windows.exe reboot-bootloader

to return to the bootloader!

As an alternative you can add "sleep 10" to the batch file under the first "fastboot-windows.exe flash zip testimage.zip" line!

Hope it helps.

Greating

Spirit

Edited by WolfspiritM

Guest wooyee

download links for 0.8 are all dead?

update: first one is working now :P , second one won't finish, third one also down..

Edited by wooyee

Guest potter97

PAUL THE KING!!

Thanks for all your great work.

And those that were in medical school at the time, All the info is in the post!, Surely you can take simple directions, You know being a Docter and all.................. Maybe be take the time to read the post properly. :P

Quote = marvi0 Posted Today, 20:49

hese

dude, paul said he would make a video, because he probably does acknowledge, theirs those of us, who are not good at following directions, and would benefit from these videos, ok unfortunatly, when others, were learning computers, i had enough on my plate at medical school, so please if paul will make a video, am sure theirs many who would benefit. i rest my case.

Edited by potter97

Guest StuMcBill

Ok, I have Windows 7 64 bit installed at the moment, along with ubuntu 64 bit dual booted, would I be better trying ubuntu or using the tinycorelinux ISO?

Thanks

Stewart

Guest potter97
Ok, I have Windows 7 64 bit installed at the moment, along with ubuntu 64 bit dual booted, would I be better trying ubuntu or using the tinycorelinux ISO?

Thanks

Stewart

Hello,

Use Tiny core linux, worked a treat for me plus everything you need is their. Also being a lot smaller quicker boot aswell :P

Reread your post, did not see you already had ubuntu installed, but would still reccomend it (TinyCoreISO).

Edited by potter97

Guest lanxton

I just downloaded "r4-desire-root-alt.zip" and it extracted fine. But, I'm not sure if the file "testimage.zip" is corrupt or not because I can not seem to open up the zip file manually to see the contents without an error message. The file "rootedupdate.zip" seems to open fine..just not the "testimage.zip". Is this a problem?

Guest fatwolf
I just downloaded "r4-desire-root-alt.zip" and it extracted fine. But, I'm not sure if the file "testimage.zip" is corrupt or not because I can not seem to open up the zip file manually to see the contents without an error message. The file "rootedupdate.zip" seems to open fine..just not the "testimage.zip". Is this a problem?

I just finished downloading and both zips open.

You might want to check the md5sum on the file to make sure it downloaded properly.

Shame i have to go to work i cant test this yet but the files all open.

Guest waterc00l
No, N1 ROMs don't flash straight onto the Desire. The kernel is different.

P

will you do a 1:1 port from the stock n1 to the desire in the future??

Guest lanxton
I just finished downloading and both zips open.

You might want to check the md5sum on the file to make sure it downloaded properly.

Shame i have to go to work i cant test this yet but the files all open.

I checked the MD5 sum of r4-desire-root-alt.zip and it says it is OK. I am using linux to open the zip files.. maybe that is the difference. It says, "Command exited with status 256" when I try to extract the contents of testimage.zip.

Guest fubuman_05

thank you paul...

now we can flash the 0.80 rom from australia... i think its a never version... or you think it is pointless to flash this rom know?

Guest starchildx

hi,

i allways get the same error.

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... OKAY

writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...

INFOsignature checking...

INFOzip header checking...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

INFOchecking main version...

FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)

I made 2 goldcards, with both the same error and i tried it on a ubuntu and a windows 7 pc.

what can i do ?

Guest lanxton
I checked the MD5 sum of r4-desire-root-alt.zip and it says it is OK. I am using linux to open the zip files.. maybe that is the difference. It says, "Command exited with status 256" when I try to extract the contents of testimage.zip.

This is what I am referring to:

Archive: testimage.zip

warning [testimage.zip]: 256 extra bytes at beginning or within zipfile

(attempting to process anyway)

inflating: android-info.txt

inflating: hboot_8x50_0.80.0000_20100329.nb0

inflating: radio.img

inflating: rcdata.img

inflating: boot.img

inflating: recovery.img

inflating: system.img

inflating: userdata.img

inflating: splash1.nb0

It seems there is something different about that zip file and I would like to know if it is supposed to be like that.

EDIT: The testimage.zip for HBOOT 0.75 also has the same error message. I hope this is not going to flash any corrupted files.. :-)

Edited by lanxton

Guest fayda
Hello.

I had the following issue:

FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

With Windows 7 64bit

But I've found a solution!!

Everybody with the same error try the following:

Open the step1-windows.bat with a texteditor (notepad doesn't display the lineending correctly. Try wordpad)

Now you see everything the Batch file is doing.

Instead of typing "step1-windows.bat" copy and paste every line you can see in there ( you don't have to copy the echo lines):

fastboot-windows.exe erase cache

fastboot-windows.exe oem rebootRUU

NOW...when this error appears again WAIT until the HTC logo appears again and windows has successful recognized the device again!

Now type:

now it shoud work.

The last step:

fastboot-windows.exe reboot-bootloader

to return to the bootloader!

As an alternative you can add "sleep 10" to the batch file under the first "fastboot-windows.exe flash zip testimage.zip" line!

Hope it helps.

Greating

Spirit

thank you soooo much this worked PERFECTLY!!!!!!!! finally got my phone rooted

Guest mistervain

Oh s***, i got a failure! What does it mean: FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)? I have a O2 Desire with 0.80 Bootloader.

Guest lanxton
Oh s***, i got a failure! What does it mean: FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)? I have a O2 Desire with 0.80 Bootloader.

Sounds like your goldcard is not right.

Guest mistervain
Sounds like your goldcard is not right.

its a german o2 Desire, i think it isn´t an operator supplied device. A goldcard isn´t necessary.

Guest CaspaTheGhost

I've got some problems...

Thought I saw a few errors pop up on the phone just before it allowed me to select 'Bootloader' and 'Recovery' but then went fine... So I went and got a drink as per the advice... When I came back it said it had done it, so I reboted... It then seemed to be on a continous boot loop, after writing under the logo... I pulled it and did step 2 again, seemed to work, but again I got a flash of a error message on the phone just before it let me move the curser to Bootloader, again then seemed to work, but now it boots but it immediately says SD Card Removed and I have no service at all... Its now not recognised when I plug it into the PC so I cant try any sort of fix now...

Havent got a clue what to do! HELP!