14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest potter97
Thanks Paul,I have rooted my desire.

but I have a question,when I reboot and get into the recovery mode,I cannt see the recovery menu again,whats the problem???

should I do the step2 again???

You can use step2 again but its better to use ./recovery-linux.sh or in your case recovery-windows.bat

:P

Happy Flashing :D

Edited by potter97

Guest yonisan
Then i suggest you check your system setup to make sure its all correct.

And the HBOOT data mine is EXACTLY the same. Dont give up just take your time and like i said use ubuntu or the supplied tinycore linux, both work a treat

Step1 of the process works in every OS I tried (Windows, tinyCore, Live Ubuntu)

Step2 Or the Recovery-linux/Recovery-Windows scripts return the "Error:Device cant be found" msg immediatly.

btw:

in Windows's device manager, when the phone is on the FastBoot screen, I see it as perfectly installed "Android USB Device"

when the phone is on the HBOOT screen, I see it as a yellow arrow icon called "other devices/Android 1.0"

when the phone is on the Recovery screen I see it as 2 Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM" items and the red triangle with exclemation point in it stays there forever.

Paul, do you maybe have some ideas on what can be the cause of this?

Many Thanks in advance.

Guest jetmin
You can use step2 again but its better to use ./recovery-linux.sh or in your case recovery-windows.exe

:P

Happy Flashing :D

OK,its worked,thank you very much! :P

Guest potter97
Step1 of the process works in every OS I tried (Windows, tinyCore, Live Ubuntu)

Step2 Or the Recovery-linux/Recovery-Windows scripts return the "Error:Device cant be found" msg immediatly.

btw:

in Windows's device manager, when the phone is on the FastBoot screen, I see it as perfectly installed "Android USB Device"

when the phone is on the HBOOT screen, I see it as a yellow arrow icon called "other devices/Android 1.0"

when the phone is on the Recovery screen I see it as 2 Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM" items and the red triangle with exclemation point in it stays there forever.

Many Thanks in advance.

Hiya,

How long are you leaving it before you do step 2?

I had the device not found errors untill after step1, leave the comp enought time to find the device again as it has to reconnect. I usually leave it for about 15secs after just to make sure.

or you can still use "adb devices" after step1 to check your device is reconnected yet :P

Edited by potter97

Guest yonisan
Hiya,

How long are you leaving it before you do step 2?

I had the device not found errors untill after step1, leave the comp enought time to find the device again as it has to reconnect. I usually leave it for about 15secs after just to make sure.

or you can still use "adb devices" after step1 to check your device is reconnected yet :P

Hi,

I am waiting more than the mentioned above 15 secs.

some additional input: when using the "adb-XXX devices" command (xxx=Linux/Windows - tried both) I get:

adb server is out of date. killing...

* daemon started successfully *

List of devices attached

(empty row)

c:\>

When using the "fastboot-XXX devices" command (xxx=Linux/Windows - tried both), I get:

HT*serialNumber*35 fastboot

Guest pdq

I`m trying to root my Desire by reading and completing all this guides.

So I already sucessfully made goldcard. And start rooting... but I have error on step 2 (step 1 was completed sucessfully, device in recovery mode):

c81c0309d239.png

I think that probably it can be missed driver, because when I plugged device and get in BOOTLOADER menu, it asking me drivers for 'Android 1.0' but I cant find it! I don`t know where I can download it.

So please help me - this is really driver problem (so where I can download it) or it can be something else?

P.S: Also, when I getting my device in recovery mode, I see new removable disk 'N' that I can`t open.

86a22e22736b.png

Guest NRGizzer
I`m trying to root my Desire by reading and completing all this guides.

So I already sucessfully made goldcard. And start rooting... but I have error on step 2 (step 1 was completed sucessfully, device in recovery mode):

c81c0309d239.png

I think that probably it can be missed driver, because when I plugged device and get in BOOTLOADER menu, it asking me drivers for 'Android 1.0' but I cant find it! I don`t know where I can download it.

So please help me - this is really driver problem (so where I can download it) or it can be something else?

P.S: Also, when I getting my device in recovery mode, I see new removable disk 'N' that I can`t open.

86a22e22736b.png

you have to install HTC Sync on your PC. The drivers for the desire are within this package.

Guest Carnage21

Many Thanks in advance.

Have this exact same issue , i think its bricked :P

Guest pdq
you have to install HTC Sync on your PC. The drivers for the desire are within this package.

But HTC Sync already installed on my computer!

Guest EddyOS

OK, think I've bricked my phone...

Did step 1, it completed fine...BUT it didn't go back to bootloader it just stays on the HTC logo on a black background...I take it I was meant to start all this with the goldcard in the phone with the updateroot.zip file on it??

Started again and now get this in a Windows 7 x64 command prompt:

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,100

FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or direc

tory))

Rebooting to bootloader...

rebooting into bootloader... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or direc

tory))

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys

and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

C:\Users\ME\Desktop\r4-desire-root>

any suggestions as i'm screwed otherwise

Guest mollermand

Did step 1, it completed fine...BUT it didn't go back to bootloader it just stays on the HTC logo on a black background...I take it I was meant to start all this with the goldcard in the phone with the updateroot.zip file on it??

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,100

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or direc

tory))

rebooting into bootloader... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or direc

tory))

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys

I have the excact same problem ?!?!?

Guest 42turkeys

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,100

tory))

tory))

Make sure your SD card is in your phone and you have the correct drivers installed.

I'd really not use windows x64, It causes loads of problems. Get an Ubuntu live CD instead.

If you really have bricked it (ie. your phone wont turn on) use the guide below.

Unroot Your HTC Desire

Edited by 42turkeys

Guest EddyOS

SD card is in the phone and the right drivers were installed - it just wouldn't boot back to the bootloader after step 1 - ill unroot it and try a live CD instead...

Guest yonisan
Have this exact same issue , i think its bricked :P

After I am done with step1 and Just before re bootng starts, there is a green icon on the screen with round green arrows on it (like a recycle sign).

anyone knows what that means? maybe at this stage something can be done to revive the device?

Guest mollermand
Make sure your SD card is in your phone and you have the correct drivers installed.

I'd really not use windows x64, It causes loads of problems. Get an Ubuntu live CD instead.

If you really have bricked it (ie. your phone wont turn on) use the guide below.

Unroot Your HTC Desire

I would love to use a live cd, and I have downloaded 'TinyCoreLinux' r3 build, but I need instruction how to use it. (Don't know linux at all)

Can any one give me the old instruction?

Guest 42turkeys
I would love to use a live cd, and I have downloaded 'TinyCoreLinux' r3 build, but I need instruction how to use it. (Don't know linux at all)

Can any one give me the old instruction?

Download r3 and then...

Open up to where you downloaded it, burn the ISO Image to a disk, turn off your PC, turn it back on with the CD in.

When it boots, at the bottom, click terminal.

Type:

sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom
sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom/root
sudo ./step1.sh[/codebox]

Let that run then you should be into FASTBOOT. Press power, then using volume up/down & power for select, go to 'RECOVERY'. Then type:

[codebox]sudo ./step2.sh

You're Done! :P

Edited by 42turkeys

Guest scared
I checked the MD5 sum of r4-desire-root-alt.zip and it says it is OK. I am using linux to open the zip files.. maybe that is the difference. It says, "Command exited with status 256" when I try to extract the contents of testimage.zip.

I've checked the MD5 sums of the r4-desire-root.zip and it says it is OK. However, on extrating the zip, the testimage.zip fails to open.

I am using Windows Vista 32bit.

Is it safe to continue?

Guest mollermand

When I use the r4 methoed in windows xp I get this error:

Desire Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

error: protocol fault (no status)

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

can anyone help?

Guest kasper22
When I use the r4 methoed in windows xp I get this error:

Desire Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

error: protocol fault (no status)

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

can anyone help?

Had the same error, just do step 2 again

Guest Carnage21

Managed to unroot my device and restore Telstra Firmware

USB is still rooted (bootloader = MY HTC , press power on bootloader = Android 1.0 (yellow !!) , Recovery = 3x qualcomm drivers)

Comes up with 3 Qualcom Drivers when plugging into ANY PC

AND SD CARD doesnt work anynmore :P

any help appreciated

Edited by Carnage21

Guest yonisan
Managed to unroot my device and restore Telstra Firmware

USB is still rooted (bootloader = MY HTC , press power on bootloader = Android 1.0 (yellow !!) , Recovery = 3x qualcomm drivers)

Comes up with 3 Qualcom Drivers when plugging into ANY PC

AND SD CARD doesnt work anynmore :P

any help appreciated

Got the same issue myself. Its not fully bricked, as the OS does load (so I have a fancy Android Market device), but no SIM or SD card access.

Seems that we are looking for some kind of a Mega Flash that will bring it back from Zombieland.

Maybe some low level Linux magic of some kind....

Edited by yonisan