14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest MaTiCeK

Is anybody having an issue with sending MMS when wifi is connected after rooting? I've rooted using the first guide.

Guest Carnage21
Is anybody having an issue with sending MMS when wifi is connected after rooting? I've rooted using the first guide.

only the other 5 topics in the index of the HTC desire forums :P

turn off wifi seems ot resolve it

Guest MaTiCeK
only the other 5 topics in the index of the HTC desire forums :P

turn off wifi seems ot resolve it

Not really a great solution, but an easy one. What I want to know is if everybody or let's say most people are having this issue? It was working perfectly before rooting and settings are the good.

Guest mieszkovsky
Had the same error, just do step 2 again

Hi

I am trying to root desire for long time

I have the same commend when I am starting step 2:

Desire Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

0 files pushed. 0 files skipped.

- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

after failed i did it few times more and still nothing

I have tried on win 7 and xp

PLease help

Guest Hoegie

Just tried to root my Desire using the Windows method (I'm on Win7 64 bit by the way).

Everything seems to be going OK , until the last step that is. When I start the recovery from the rootedupdate.zip, a couple of steps are completed successfully, the last one being "Formatting SYSTEM". For over an hour now the step being done however is "Copying files". I know that this could take some time, but because there has been no noticeable activity for over an hour now, I fear that the process has stopped working.

Can anyone confirm that this step can take so much time, and in the event of a faulty update, what my options are?

Update: Never mind, I'm a complete and utter nincompoop...

I somehow managed to close the command prompt window with the pushfiles and the still active recovery-windows.bat

/me is going to crawl under a big rock and be ashamed...

Edited by Hoegie

Guest dimor
Got the same issue myself. Its not fully bricked, as the OS does load (so I have a fancy Android Market device), but no SIM or SD card access.

Seems that we are looking for some kind of a Mega Flash that will bring it back from Zombieland.

Maybe some low level Linux magic of some kind....

Carnage21 and Yonisan,

you're not the only one that got this problem, several people been having the same problems.

to get your SD and SIM back go to fastboot (reboot your device with power + back buttons) then from fastboot on your computer run this command:

fastboot oem enableqxdm 0

it should get your sd and sim back but there's still the usb/bt problem...

Guest scared
I've checked the MD5 sums of the r4-desire-root.zip and it says it is OK. However, on extrating the zip, the testimage.zip fails to open.

I am using Windows Vista 32bit.

Is it safe to continue?

Hello All,

I have checked this on r3 as well.

- Downloaded the ISO and checked the MD5 - it says the checksum is OK

- Burnt the image to a CD and then booted my PC (otherwise Windows Vista 32 bit) using the TinyCore Linux

- In the Linux desktop, clicked on the Terminal icon

- In the terminal window, issued the following commands:

sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom
sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom/root
gunzip -t testimage.zip[/codebox]

It still says "invalid magic".

Somehow, the testimage.zip seems to be corrupt in both r3 and r4. Or am I simply worrying about something which is nothing?

Also about the MD5 -

I checked the MD5 for the r4 zip file - it checked out OK

I checked the MD5 for the r3 ISO file - it too checked out OK

However in both cases, the content inside the zip file and the ISO (i.e. the testimage.zip) seems to be corrupt.

Any help please? Is it safe for me to proceed with the rooting process ignoring this error? Those who have successfully rooted using the r4 Windows method, have you checked if the testimage.zip opens OK on Windows?

Guest ilanshp
[*]In the terminal window, enter either 'step2-windows.bat', './step2-mac.sh' or './step2-linux.sh' as appropriate.

[*]When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe' option, then select the option to apply an update zip from sdcard, and select 'rootedupdate.zip'. This will take a little while, so go make a nice cup of tea. When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE! :P

Hi,

Im a bit confused about the wipe stage.

When I choose wipe, it gives me a list of options:

Should I choose the first? - Wipe data/factory reset? (which looks like the most logical choice here)

Found the answer (wipe them all), moving to the next step.

Update: ROOTED!

Paul, you are a master. It all went smooth. Thanks for the clear step by step manual.

Edited by ilanshp

Guest sun-drop

Hi guys, first post.

Hey paul cheers for the new rom, but sadly isn't doing us with the Telstra NextG Desires down here in aussie/nz.

these phones have a issue with gps..ie it wont work if you have mobile data turned on ..you wont get any locks in say 3rd party apps such as GPS Test ... you can see birds in the sky ..just it'll never lock on.

i've tried yr earlier rooted roms, no change, tried flashing a stock htc rom..no change... flashing the 1.16 telstra/htc issues 'fix' rom did however restore full gps fuctionality , which works fine with mobile data on.

it's avail here:

http://www.htc.com/au/SupportViewNews.aspx...amp;news_id=640

i could sned you the rom if you like.

anyways i've tried this latest rom of yours, which i was able to update too, and ...gps stopped working again :P so i tried flashing the radio add on ..and still no luck. however now my bootloader is changed and i can't flash the telstra fix rom at the mo.

so currently stuck without GPS at the mo :D

Guest thapapper

Hi all,

Little problem over here:

After the step1-windows, I start the desire again and manouvre to the recovery option.

During step2-windows, the recovery screenis is nicely pushed to the phone and displayed in all it's glory.

But then..........

The volume buttons don't work so I can't choose anything.

All options left is battery removal.

After about 4 hours; frustration sets in and my old iPhone starts to look tempting...

Anyone an idea howto solve this?

Thanks ever so much!

thapapper

Edited by thapapper

Guest StuMcBill

Does anyone else have this problem?

When I access the market, and use the keyboard in landscape, the letters I am typing don't show in the large text box, but when I close the keyboard, it has actually entered the text.

It only seems to happen in the market though.

Running rootedupdate.zip only, no baked Roms.

Stewart

Guest StuMcBill
Hi all,

Little problem over here:

After the step1-windows, I start the desire again and manouvre to the recovery option.

During step2-windows, the recovery screenis is nicely pushed to the phone and displayed in all it's glory.

But then..........

The volume buttons don't work so I can't choose anything.

All options left is battery removal.

After about 4 hours; frustration sets in and my old iPhone starts to look tempting...

Anyone an idea howto solve this?

Thanks ever so much!

thapapper

You use the optical trackball to select options in recovery.

Stu

Guest lanxton
Hi guys, first post.

Hey paul cheers for the new rom, but sadly isn't doing us with the Telstra NextG Desires down here in aussie/nz.

these phones have a issue with gps..ie it wont work if you have mobile data turned on ..you wont get any locks in say 3rd party apps such as GPS Test ... you can see birds in the sky ..just it'll never lock on.

i've tried yr earlier rooted roms, no change, tried flashing a stock htc rom..no change... flashing the 1.16 telstra/htc issues 'fix' rom did however restore full gps fuctionality , which works fine with mobile data on.

it's avail here:

http://www.htc.com/au/SupportViewNews.aspx...amp;news_id=640

i could sned you the rom if you like.

anyways i've tried this latest rom of yours, which i was able to update too, and ...gps stopped working again :P so i tried flashing the radio add on ..and still no luck. however now my bootloader is changed and i can't flash the telstra fix rom at the mo.

so currently stuck without GPS at the mo :D

So, you are saying that if your phone has stand-alone GPS disabled by the provider, then rooting and flashing a custom ROM will not fix the problem? That was the main reason why I wanted to do this in the first place.

When the generic RUU ROM is flashed to the phone then the stand-alone GPS is fixed. What is the RUU updating that the custom ROM is not?

Guest gregDT
One question, if I do a hard reset on the phone now, does it stay rooted or do I have to do it all again?

Nope rooting is for life not just Christmas :P

Guest thapapper
You use the optical trackball to select options in recovery.

Stu

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy :P :D :P

And all the time, the solution was this close ...............

Thank you very much Stu, you've made my evening!

Guest yonisan
Carnage21 and Yonisan,

you're not the only one that got this problem, several people been having the same problems.

to get your SD and SIM back go to fastboot (reboot your device with power + back buttons) then from fastboot on your computer run this command:

fastboot oem enableqxdm 0

it should get your sd and sim back but there's still the usb/bt problem...

One step at a time.

Thanks a lot dimor, thanks to you my Desire is less of a Zombie.

Hopefully the rest of it will get resolved soon.

I will keep an eye on this thread.

Guest kie777

hi, i managed to get my desire rooted, using the previous method (tinycore linux), ran it as virtual machine on my mac. My question is how do i get back to the custom recovery? do i need to get my goldcard back to my phone? and then what should i do? can i do it in the tiny core linux that i previously downloaded? The reason i want to do this is because i want to flash the modaco custom rom into my device? can anybody help me?

Guest RealUnknown

thanks paul . after the first step . when i go to do the second step i have many errors and my phone isnt recognized by adb ...

what can i do ?

i post the picture here ...

post-618670-1273354813_thumb.jpg

Guest TheFirstBen
thanks paul . after the first step . when i go to do the second step i have many errors and my phone isnt recognized by adb ...

what can i do ?

i post the picture here ...

Hello, i am having the same problem here

Thank you for your help

Guest Carnage21
Hello, i am having the same problem here

Thank you for your help

check your device manager , it thinks the phone isnt plugged in , reply in here

Guest sun-drop
So, you are saying that if your phone has stand-alone GPS disabled by the provider, then rooting and flashing a custom ROM will not fix the problem? That was the main reason why I wanted to do this in the first place.

When the generic RUU ROM is flashed to the phone then the stand-alone GPS is fixed. What is the RUU updating that the custom ROM is not?

wish i knew ..

gps wasn't dsiabled buy the provider ..they just cocked it up on launch ,and had to issue that fix rom (also a OTA update as an alternative) to correct gps. and yeh after you do that ..gps works just fine , with mobile data on or off.

but apply any of these other stock or rooted roms, and gps goes back to not being able to get a lock.

i've gone..

orig out of the box rom .. gps not working

flashed stock htc rom ... gps not working when data on

flashed rooted pauls rom .. no change

flashed telstra fix rom ... gps working fine

flashed pauls new rooted rom ... gps back to not working when data on.

added the radio update in pauls thread .. radio update and bootloader upgraded, no change to gps

flashed BC's custom telstra rom ... phone wont boot, htc logo. ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...812#post6426812 )

so yeh. i can get to the recovery mode though, and usb is obviuosly working ... so how do i flash the working telstra rom back if the bootloader is failing? i mean i've tried just connecting the usb cable and running the exe file..and i get the bootloader problem. should i try running the exe while my phone is in recovery mode or something? or at the red arroorw screen? or can i some how turn that exe file into a zip file and flash it from my sd card while in recovery mode?

bit lost here..

note that this version of the htc desire is the NextG aussie phone ... it's a 850/2100 device.

Edited by sun-drop