14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest cc1961
Found it BUT I think it won't help..

Anyway rebboted my desire, it is working, I wont f!ck with this, going with TinyCore linux Live CD they say it is safer :(

I had this problem and just about every other reported problem here. It took me two weeks to root my 'phone. I tried Linux, TinyCoreLinux and the R5 method. All failed with the usual error messages. I am using Windows 7, 32bit.

Strangely my 'phone is an unbranded 'phone with no hint of any telco apps etc. But, in the end, I 'gave up'. No longer caring whether or not I bricked it I used the R5 method BUT with a Goldcard. (I used the Goldcard Tool - just Google 'Modaco Goldcard Tool') and within 15 minutes I was rooted (not medically).

I agree that the final stages require firm optical trackpad stroking but, other than that, it all worked.

Strange but true .......

Guest tabsina
I would have thought the update will fail if you try and install it on a rooted rom anyway, but if you really want the 1.21 update, install the MCR rom in the other sticky thread.

My only concern is that (I don't know much about flashing roms - since this is my first Android phone) isn't it a possibility that it will get bricked while installing the MCR rom? or by rooting the phone, have I already bypassed the only possibility of it getting bricked

Guest amf14

I'm an Android noob but have flashed WM phones in the past and BB phones recently.

My Desire has HBOOT: 0.80.000

ROM version: Below 1.21.xxx.x

I have downloaded the file in Paul's post no.1. I understand that after the root procedure, I will get a generic 1.15.405.4 based ROM. After rooting, can I use the MCRs here (via Recovery Mode)? --> http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...online-kitchen/

If I decide to install A2SD+ I understand that I need to re-format my SD card. Is there an option to format it anywhere in Recovery mode or via command prompt? I have both a Mac and WinXP machine.

Paul said that: "It is recommended that you do NOT use the 'USB mount' functionality in the recovery image!" How is that? Is it an option that pops up when I connect the Desire in the PC when in Recovery mode? What functionality should I choose?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by amf14

Guest kingofthebraves

Im stuck in step 2!

Using Mac OS X

Asian Unlocked Desire

HBOOT 0.80

I am so far stuck in Step 2 after installing Step 1. Tried everything and it still won't work.

# In the terminal window, enter either 'step1-windows.bat', './step1-mac.sh' or './step1-linux.sh' as appropriate.

# When this step has completed, REMOVE THE GOLDCARD and either format it and replace, or replace with a different (non goldcard) microSD.

# Navigate to the 'BOOTLOADER' and then 'RECOVERY' option on the menu, using the volume buttons to move and the power button to select.

# In the terminal window, enter either 'step2-windows.bat', './step2-mac.sh' or './step2-linux.sh' as appropriate.

# When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe' option, then select the option to apply an update zip from sdcard, and select 'rootedupdate.zip'. This will take a little while, so go make a nice cup of tea. When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE!

After installing step 1, I proceeded to the recovery until the red triangle came out, entered step 2 and the error log shows :

./step2-mac.sh

Desire Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

error: protocol fault (no status)

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

error: device not found

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu.

Lester-Ngs-MacBook:desire root lesterng$ error: device not found

Tried Unplugging the unit first then plugging it to the mac only when the red triangle shows up to no avail.

Please help!

Read somewhere that its an HTC Sync issue but I am using a mac

Thanks

Edited by kingofthebraves

Guest m1le5
Hi

I have an Orange badged desire, can I not flash my phone then? :(

only new radios...read read read...there are some updates with disagree with orange

Guest hally83
My only concern is that (I don't know much about flashing roms - since this is my first Android phone) isn't it a possibility that it will get bricked while installing the MCR rom? or by rooting the phone, have I already bypassed the only possibility of it getting bricked

You have way less chance bricking it whilst flashing MCR than you do when rooting. Just follow the instructions ( i.e. the last bit of the 1st post on here about getting back into recovery and the 1st post of MCR thread)

you will be fine!

Guest Barry Bradford

Hey Paul, fellow desire users :)

Attempted rooting my desire (telstra branded) tonight and getting an error when running the step1-windows.bat

error as follows;

D:\r5-desire-root\r5-desire-root>step1-windows.bat

Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... OKAY

writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...

INFOsignature checking...

INFOzip header checking...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

FAILED (remote: 41 model id check fail)

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

Rebooting to bootloader...

rebooting into bootloader... OKAY

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys

and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

D:\r5-desire-root\r5-desire-root>

Any help much appreciated - im guessing my gold card creation hasnt worked possibly?

Cheers in advance

Barry Bradford

CCNA CCNP MCSE

Guest purpledatsun

hey guys

Hoping someone can help. I have been reading and trying to get my head around the rooting process for a few weeks now, not the easiest to understand for a noob. Anyway, I am stuck at step 2 using the R5 process from Paul. It just says device not found and stays at the red triangle. Any ideas?

cheers

James

Guest Robbie Khan
hey guys

Hoping someone can help. I have been reading and trying to get my head around the rooting process for a few weeks now, not the easiest to understand for a noob. Anyway, I am stuck at step 2 using the R5 process from Paul. It just says device not found and stays at the red triangle. Any ideas?

cheers

James

Windows will ding the disconnected sound and when you press recovery to get to the red triangle screen a few seconds later windows SHOULD ding again but this time the device connected sound, it is now that you need to run step 2.

Guest cc1961
Hey Paul, fellow desire users :)

Attempted rooting my desire (telstra branded) tonight and getting an error when running the step1-windows.bat

error as follows;

D:\r5-desire-root\r5-desire-root>step1-windows.bat

Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys

Any help much appreciated - im guessing my gold card creation hasnt worked possibly?

Cheers in advance

Barry Bradford

CCNA CCNP MCSE

I had the same problem, until I used a Goldcard (Google: Modaco Goldcard Tool).

Guest purpledatsun
Windows will ding the disconnected sound and when you press recovery to get to the red triangle screen a few seconds later windows SHOULD ding again but this time the device connected sound, it is now that you need to run step 2.

going great guns so far. Not sure why this has to be so complicated.

I now try step 2 and it just goes back to the command prompt as if I typed nothing.

PLEASE HELP

Guest purpledatsun

I am stuck at the red triangle screen and nothing seems to work.

Step 2 does nothing and I have tried up and power to get to the wipe screen. I have tried updating and the file is not found.

The step by step provided by Paul seems to miss some important steps and researching indicates there are at least three options including using ubuntu and linux. I am getting the feeling this is WAY more trouble than it is worth. Can someone please walk me through this?

cheers

James

Guest Robbie Khan
I am stuck at the red triangle screen and nothing seems to work.

Step 2 does nothing and I have tried up and power to get to the wipe screen. I have tried updating and the file is not found.

The step by step provided by Paul seems to miss some important steps and researching indicates there are at least three options including using ubuntu and linux. I am getting the feeling this is WAY more trouble than it is worth. Can someone please walk me through this?

cheers

James

There aren't really any steps missed out, I managed it just fine on my device for example although I'm not completely new to rooting having had a Magic for 16 months.

Just follow it slowly and you /should/ be fine....

Guest purpledatsun
There aren't really any steps missed out, I managed it just fine on my device for example although I'm not completely new to rooting having had a Magic for 16 months.

Just follow it slowly and you /should/ be fine....

Hi Robbie

Yes I have followed it a couple of times with no luck. I am going to have to try the linux method to see if that works as this one does not for me. Not sure why.

cheers

Guest Barry Bradford

Cool - ive got the goldcard tool but htc sync not picking up my device to make the goldcard now (win 7 32)

EDIT 2 OK Reinstalled HTC Sync and now created the gold card - am at work now so cant finish the process till later - wish me luck :)

Edited by Barry Bradford

Guest purpledatsun

Ok, used the linux method and all worked well. Hooray, I have GPS working and no more telstra crap. I will try getting the 3.1 ROM on now.

For others who encounter similiar problems as me and there seems to be a few, I highly recommend using the linux method if you have windows 7 64 bit

cheers

James

Guest Barry Bradford
Ok, used the linux method and all worked well. Hooray, I have GPS working and no more telstra crap. I will try getting the 3.1 ROM on now.

For others who encounter similiar problems as me and there seems to be a few, I highly recommend using the linux method if you have windows 7 64 bit

cheers

James

Hi from Perth James,

Hmm wondering if this would also apply on win7 32 ?

I Have an *IX box at home so may complete the root process via it

Now if work could hurry up so as i can get home and continue my Rooting quest... errr Mobile modification ... :)

Guest KHShapiro

1 telstra Desire ROOTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! after almost 1 week of my lame ass trying to figure this SH!T out i did it !!!! WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ME... Donated and subscribed THX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Barry Bradford

Hey All - Yay finished work however another wall to be conquered :)

Now getting the following error - whats going on? :)

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

INFOchecking main version...

FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

INFOchecking main version...

FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)

Guest kingofthebraves

Im stuck in step 2!

Using Mac OS X

Asian Unlocked Desire

HBOOT 0.80

I am so far stuck in Step 2 after installing Step 1. Tried everything and it still won't work.

# In the terminal window, enter either 'step1-windows.bat', './step1-mac.sh' or './step1-linux.sh' as appropriate.

# When this step has completed, REMOVE THE GOLDCARD and either format it and replace, or replace with a different (non goldcard) microSD.

# Navigate to the 'BOOTLOADER' and then 'RECOVERY' option on the menu, using the volume buttons to move and the power button to select.

# In the terminal window, enter either 'step2-windows.bat', './step2-mac.sh' or './step2-linux.sh' as appropriate.

# When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe' option, then select the option to apply an update zip from sdcard, and select 'rootedupdate.zip'. This will take a little while, so go make a nice cup of tea. When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE!

After installing step 1, I proceeded to the recovery until the red triangle came out, entered step 2 and the error log shows :

./step2-mac.sh

Desire Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

error: protocol fault (no status)

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu.

Lester-Ngs-MacBook:desire root lesterng$ error: device not found

Tried Unplugging the unit first then plugging it to the mac only when the red triangle shows up to no avail.

Please help!

Thanks

Guest 42turkeys
Hey All - Yay finished work however another wall to be conquered :)

Now getting the following error - whats going on? :)

*snip*

This is a goldcard error, try and make it again but here's a simplified method: www.roothtchero.co.uk/goldgard-2

It says Hero but it works for Desires too.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see previous page, this is still defo a goldcard issue as Custom Id (CID) is what you change during goldcarding.

Im stuck in step 2!

Using Mac OS X

Asian Unlocked Desire

HBOOT 0.80

*snip*

Thanks

Check that step 1 ran ok and if that fails then try this method: http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...iny-core-linux/

Edited by 42turkeys

Guest Barry Bradford
This is a goldcard error, try and make it again but here's a simplified method: www.roothtchero.co.uk/goldgard-2

It says Hero but it works for Desires too.

Page cannot be displayed :)

Goldcard is a kingston 2gb (came with the desire) may i need a diff card perhaps?