14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest MinhQuang
Am also having the same issue mate - see replies on prev page - its a gold card issue apparently - am waiting till pay day to get a 2gb sandisk :)

yeah, i have the same problem here. my desire is not locked. its 1.19.707.7 and HBOOT is 0.80( not 75)

I tried to ROOT it on step 1 many time but always "remote: 42 custom id check fail". :P I made a goldcard, using sandisk 1GB. luckily, It worked :)

and tried on step 2, but I feel the guide on the first page for step 2 is not clearly for newbie( off course, its me :). my desire is the first android:D ). tried so hard to 3:00 AM, it has done. :)

ps: my desire is for singapore, malaysia market... so, yours is the same?

Edited by MinhQuang

Guest KingDan

I bought a brand new HTC Desire A8181 from ebay.

It apparently had on English (Singapore), English (Thai), etc.

I really didn't like having those extra characters on my keyboard so I wanted to find

a way to change the version or something, so that I can get something like English (US)

or English (UK).

So I came here.

The phone is unlocked and isn't attached to any service provider like T-Mobile or Cingular

or Orange. Infact, I am not even in the states.

Since the GoldenCard were for those phones, I used the 0.80.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.21.xxx.x or below

tutorial, where even though I didn't have a GoldenCard inserted, I still did ./step1-linux.sh.

When I did that, two things failed but it completed successfully.

I left the card in as it wasn't Golden and did step 2 (./step2-linux.sh)

Now, I get the red triangle and exclamation mark when I go to recovery.

and the terminal cannot find the device.

I tried doing the linux-recovery with no joy.

What has happened to my handset and is there a fix that I can do or is that

it for me?

I mean, the phone still works, I can make calls and all, but if a firmware came out

and I tried updating, will that permanently damage my phone?

*Think I got it to work, used the 2GB microSD, used the goldentool and poof.

saw things I never saw, green loading bar, etc.

**push: files/sbin/backuptool.sh -> /sbin/backuptool.sh

push: files/etc/mtab -> /etc/mtab

push: files/etc/fstab -> /etc/fstab

31 files pushed. 0 files skipped.

2046 KB/s (3709881 bytes in 1.770s)

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu.

me@linuxmint ~/Downloads/r5-desire-root-alt $ error: device not found

not sure why it didn't do "When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe' option, then select the option to apply an update zip from sdcard, and select 'rootedupdate.zip'. This will take a little while, so go make a nice cup of tea. When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE! "

is this fine? ... do I need to apply this last step? ... should I leave as it is?? (it is working and I finally got rid of the English (Singapore) stuff and some

apps from the store actually work properly now...even the bluetooth browsing from pc...FINALLY!!

please help, that last step has me puzzled...thanks

Edited by KingDan

Guest heecks
I too had this problem. I just downloaded the .exe file from xda http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=695667, inserted my goldcard and flashed with that. It updated the bootloader and the radio which fixed the problems. It seems the OTA update didn't do this for some reason. Hope this helps!

Hi Dyason and thank you for answering,

Yes I am aware that this will work. However I will loose my bootloader 0.75 if I go this way.

Does anybody know if this is safe to use the bootloader=0.75+rom=1.15 link (the first download link in the first post) if my phone is currently in bootloader=0.75+rom=1.21 state ?

Guest Dyason
Hi Dyason and thank you for answering,

Yes I am aware that this will work. However I will loose my bootloader 0.75 if I go this way.

Does anybody know if this is safe to use the bootloader=0.75+rom=1.15 link (the first download link in the first post) if my phone is currently in bootloader=0.75+rom=1.21 state ?

With the goldcard inserted then you should be able to go back to 1.15 I think with no trouble. There's no disadvantage to moving to 0.80 though so I'd go for the update. I did and don't regret it.

Guest bas-r
Tried using linux to root but still ended up with the same error message, DEVICE NOT FOUND. Im now going to try to root using Windows with the Gold Card method....

I am sure that I am running 0.80 and 1.19, rooting this desire is starting to be a big pain in the @ss.

You need to install your device on your linux.

Look on this website how: http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/device.html

From Setting up a Device for Development and onwards. Though this only tells you how to on Ubuntu. Go for Gutsy/Harddy method if you're on Karmic/Lucid.

Guest InsideOut

I have a non-branded Desire and I'm trying to root it, but I can't get through the first step.

When the phone is in "FASTBOOT" state and I connect it to my PC, Windows (XP SP3) doesn't recognize it and says my new hardware couldn't be installed. What should I do?

Edited by InsideOut

Guest cc1961
yeah, i have the same problem here. my desire is not locked. its 1.19.707.7 and HBOOT is 0.80( not 75)

I tried to ROOT it on step 1 many time but always "remote: 42 custom id check fail". :) I made a goldcard, using sandisk 1GB. luckily, It worked :)

and tried on step 2, but I feel the guide on the first page for step 2 is not clearly for newbie( off course, its me :). my desire is the first android:D ). tried so hard to 3:00 AM, it has done. :)

ps: my desire is for singapore, malaysia market... so, yours is the same?

Mine is a Singapore set and, although unlocked and Telco-free, it needed a Goldcard to root it. i

Guest heecks
With the goldcard inserted then you should be able to go back to 1.15 I think with no trouble. There's no disadvantage to moving to 0.80 though so I'd go for the update. I did and don't regret it.

I remember some guys had trouble for unrooting with their v0.80 bootloader, that's whyI would prefer keep my 0.75 if possible.

Maybe things have changed now but anyway, I think the less evolved these bootloaders are, the more you can trick them...

I will try to root using the 0.75/1.15 link.

Thanks.

Guest kingofthebraves

Ok guys now I'm really lost..

Using Desire Unlocked running 0.80 and 1.19

Tried using mac to root and failed in step 2 with error log: Device not found

Tried using linux method and failed again in step 2 same as above.

Tried rooting using gold card method and its still the same..

USB debug has been checked and I am pretty sure I have all the little details worked out.

Paul can you help me pretty please? The only idea I have left is to try rooting using the 0.75 bootloader but I am scared of bricking. Anyone think this is dangerous?

Edited by kingofthebraves

Guest Mudi Fluman

hi,

I am suffering some trouble with the instructions.

I am not in a contract with any vendor so I guess the "GOLDCARD" does not apply in my case.

Anyway, I was able to complete stage 1 successfully but once I activate step2 I get (all is done using windows):

C:\Documents and Settings\modif\Desktop\r5-desire-root-alt>step2-windows.bat

Desire Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

error: device not found

can you advise me on how to fix this.

(Im using 0.80xx and 1.21xx version and I am using the ROMRAID version)

Guest darkorbchoir

Can someone please upload the r5-desire-root.zip file to somewehere thats accessable

the first link is b0rked, the 2nd one is only running at about 25k a sec

many thanks

Guest KingDan
I bought a brand new HTC Desire A8181 from ebay.

It apparently had on English (Singapore), English (Thai), etc.

I really didn't like having those extra characters on my keyboard so I wanted to find

a way to change the version or something, so that I can get something like English (US)

or English (UK).

So I came here.

The phone is unlocked and isn't attached to any service provider like T-Mobile or Cingular

or Orange. Infact, I am not even in the states.

Since the GoldenCard were for those phones, I used the 0.80.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.21.xxx.x or below

tutorial, where even though I didn't have a GoldenCard inserted, I still did ./step1-linux.sh.

When I did that, two things failed but it completed successfully.

I left the card in as it wasn't Golden and did step 2 (./step2-linux.sh)

Now, I get the red triangle and exclamation mark when I go to recovery.

and the terminal cannot find the device.

I tried doing the linux-recovery with no joy.

What has happened to my handset and is there a fix that I can do or is that

it for me?

I mean, the phone still works, I can make calls and all, but if a firmware came out

and I tried updating, will that permanently damage my phone?

*Think I got it to work, used the 2GB microSD, used the goldentool and poof.

saw things I never saw, green loading bar, etc.

**push: files/sbin/backuptool.sh -> /sbin/backuptool.sh

push: files/etc/mtab -> /etc/mtab

push: files/etc/fstab -> /etc/fstab

31 files pushed. 0 files skipped.

2046 KB/s (3709881 bytes in 1.770s)

me@linuxmint ~/Downloads/r5-desire-root-alt $ error: device not found

not sure why it didn't do "When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe' option, then select the option to apply an update zip from sdcard, and select 'rootedupdate.zip'. This will take a little while, so go make a nice cup of tea. When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE! "

is this fine? ... do I need to apply this last step? ... should I leave as it is?? (it is working and I finally got rid of the English (Singapore) stuff and some

apps from the store actually work properly now...even the bluetooth browsing from pc...FINALLY!!

please help, that last step has me puzzled...thanks

can anyone help me with the rootedupdate.zip part? ...anyone?

Guest davidws
Can someone please upload the r5-desire-root.zip file to somewehere thats accessable

the first link is b0rked, the 2nd one is only running at about 25k a sec

many thanks

I second this. Please don't use RapidShare!

Guest Mr Mixalot

:)

Upgraded to 1.21.405.2 and lost my Wi Fi on my debranded handset :)

Took the step and created gold card to reflash back to latest WWE Generic Rom (which was surprisingly easy) :)

I think I'll have a go at rooting with this excellent guide now

Thanks to all contributors and Paul :)

Guest mdmar

Hi all!

Made all steps and after a successful installation frpm SD-card, I rebooted only to c my Desire back to factorystatus:(

U have any suggestion to what might b the problem?

Guest afiorillo
hi,

I am suffering some trouble with the instructions.

I am not in a contract with any vendor so I guess the "GOLDCARD" does not apply in my case.

Anyway, I was able to complete stage 1 successfully but once I activate step2 I get (all is done using windows):

C:\Documents and Settings\modif\Desktop\r5-desire-root-alt>step2-windows.bat

Desire Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

can you advise me on how to fix this.

(Im using 0.80xx and 1.21xx version and I am using the ROMRAID version)

Try from a 32bit Windows system (or a Linux one). In any Windows case, run the batch file from a command prompt with admin rights ("Run as Administrator").

Guest Valentinik

Sorry for the really basic question, this is my first attempt at rooting.

When it says "unzip the file you downloaded to a directory, then open a command prompt" and "Select the 'wipe' option, then select the option to apply an update zip from sdcard, and select 'rootedupdate.zip'" does anything have to be put on an sdcard (apart from the goldcard) or it it all done from the computer?

Thanks

Guest Thedanzilla

Fantastic tutorial it couldnt have gone smoother, one question though my app memory was at 100 odd MB before i rooted and now its on 72MB is there any reason the new rom would chew 30MB?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. :)

HOLY CRAP!

there's several hours wasted, the gold card instructions taht are linked in the op post tells you to reverse the code you get, thing is the site apparently auto reverses the code for you!!

so all this time i thought i had gold card working when it wasn't done properly cause i was manually reversing an already reversed code....

and that's why i've been getting step 2 'error: device not found' problems ><

Guest Mr Mixalot

Good Morning a quick noob question

I've got a goldcard image that I have created when I flashed my phone after I lost WiFi but when edit the file and save on to the Removable Disk (Micro SD) it tells me that my SD card is damaged

Can I just get another Micro SD (I believe this is the culprit) and copy the image over or do I need to create a whole new image via my phone again

Thanks in advane

Guest neoDite
Am also having the same issue mate - see replies on prev page - its a gold card issue apparently - am waiting till pay day to get a 2gb sandisk :)

Are you sure a sandisk gold card will fix the error?

As i know someone that has a sandisk card and is getting the same error "FAILED (remote: 42 custom id check fail)"

Edited by neoDite