14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest wolvie77

Hi! all. i tried to root my desire running 0.80 bootrom yesterday & i think i messed it up abit. u see, i dwnloaded the rooting file from Paul but followed unlockr.com's vidz to root. read online someone say can actually follow the vidz as its the same but apparently its not. i couldn't go into the green text screen after running the step1-windows.bat file. it went into the white screen with the 3 android robot at the bottom & stayed there. then i selected shutting down the phone & re start it. it booted up but then i realise it couldn't connect to my 3G network. i could only make & receive calls & there was no super user access icon in the menu too. My software version also change from 1.19 to 1.21. so i'm guessing something is not right. Therefore, would like to confirm if i can actually re-root the phone but this time following Paul's instructions. I'm just worried that it might be bricked. just got the phone for less than a week really don't want to screw it up. Appreciate everyone's help. :)

Guest wolvie77

Hi! all. i just rooted but don't have 3G network. can't load my email or surf net. only wifi can work. can anyone help. tried change from GSM/WCDMA auto to GSM only & also tried switching to WCDMA only & then back to GSM/WCDMA auto but still the same. tried switching airplane mode on & then off again. Power down, took out sim card & replace but still can't. whats wrong? i rooted using Paul's r6-desire-root-alt.zip file for bootrom 0.80.

Guest valerebel

Paul

Do you mean "Do not to install this Radio update if you use the Orange network" or "Do not install this Radio update if your Desire is an Orange branded phone"?

I have got what I believe is a generic HTC Desire from e2Save (CPW) and it was supplied unlocked.

Cheers

-valerebel

Guest lnoormohamed

GUYS NEED HELP

i put a lock pattern on my phone and my cousine locked it I kepp entering my email address and pasword and its not unlocking

is this a error with this rom?????

is there another way to get access to my phone????

if not this is ridiclous there must be a way????

Guest fozzy1es
GUYS NEED HELP

i put a lock pattern on my phone and my cousine locked it I kepp entering my email address and pasword and its not unlocking

is this a error with this rom?????

is there another way to get access to my phone????

if not this is ridiclous there must be a way????

Do "Hard Reset":

Power off Desire and press "vol Down" + "Power" to power on.

Guest Graeme Faulkner
This being my first android device im pretty new to this but tried to read up on things. I was just wondering if it is possible as of now to flash nexus one roms onto the desire? i have just seen alot of people speculating about this but no definate no or yes answer because of there being no method to root before this.

Thx!

Surely that can't be possible otherwise nobody would bother spending time on custom builds like these?

Edited by Graeme Faulkner

Guest natyo12345

i want to root my HTC Wildfire and i have checked the HBOOT version and it say 0.80.0002

Does this mean i cant root because its above 0.80??

Guest InsaneNutter

When i get to "You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box. Connect the phone to the computer." I do so however I now need a driver to install which is not mentioned in the guide?

Edit - Fixed the problem, I was powering the desire on and holding the volume down key and not the back key!

Doh, all rooted fine anyway, many thanks :)

Edited by InsaneNutter

Guest audio2u

Hi all,

Total noob here.

Have an unbranded Desire, hboot 0.80 and software version 1.21.405.2.

I have downloaded the required files as mentioned in the initial post from BOTH servers, and every time I try and run the 'step1-windows.bat' command, I (as have others in this thread) received a message saying that the whole-file verification had failed, and that the procedure was aborting.

Anyone got any ideas on why this is happening?

No, I haven't read every page of this 120+ page thread! :)

I did however do a search on "apply sdcard:update.zip" and read all the other posts pertaining to this, but I didn't see a response that specifically answered this question.

If there was one, and I missed it, then my sincerest apologies.

Please just point me in the right direction and I'll happily go and read the required post/s.

Otherwise, any further light you may shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Guest Time Master

Hi, I'm trying to root but I get stuck on recovery when selecting update.zip. I see an icon with 3 green arrows and it has been that way for 30 minuts now. I'm not sure if I should reset my device or what :-|

EDIT: After 45 minutes I've decided to take off the battery and put it in again. I entered recovery mode, wipe everything and restarted the phone. It's working OK. I'll try to root it again tomorrow, for now, I'm going to sleep ^^

Edited by Time Master

Guest Renz33
Hi! all. i just rooted but don't have 3G network. can't load my email or surf net. only wifi can work. can anyone help. tried change from GSM/WCDMA auto to GSM only & also tried switching to WCDMA only & then back to GSM/WCDMA auto but still the same. tried switching airplane mode on & then off again. Power down, took out sim card & replace but still can't. whats wrong? i rooted using Paul's r6-desire-root-alt.zip file for bootrom 0.80.

I had the same problem.solved by setting up the apn manually in network settings. I found out that when u flash roms that is not from ur region, the flashed system won't be able 2 read ur network settings, time by network settings, etc.

Guest Ricocchet

Thanks for the tutorial Paul.

All worked fine :)

Just need to see which custom rom to flash now and how to go about it :D

Thanks

Guest audio2u
Hi all,

Total noob here.

Have an unbranded Desire, hboot 0.80 and software version 1.21.405.2.

I have downloaded the required files as mentioned in the initial post....

.... from BOTH servers, and every time I try and run the 'step1-windows.bat' command, I (as have others in this thread) received a message saying that the whole-file verification had failed, and that the procedure was aborting.

Anyone got any ideas on why this is happening?

No, I haven't read every page of this 120+ page thread! :)

I did however do a search on "apply sdcard:update.zip" and read all the other posts pertaining to this, but I didn't see a response that specifically answered this question.

If there was one, and I missed it, then my sincerest apologies.

Please just point me in the right direction and I'll happily go and read the required post/s.

Otherwise, any further light you may shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Am I being ignored because I admitted to not reading all 120+ pages :D, or does no one have an answer for this?

I would really like to be able to get root access to my phone, but I just can't seem to find a way to get this update.zip file installed/extracted from the SD card.

Guest philip100

Thanks Paul! Works great for me :) My Desire HBOOT- 0.80, OS version- 1.21 & I rooted on Windows 7 64bit with any problems :D Thanks!

(Sorry for my bad english)

Philip

Guest fastfullback
Still fighting with my HTC Desire Orange Spain branded with 1.22.75.1 version.

This is the version of the phone:

HBOOT:

Bravo PVT1 Ship S-ON

HBOOT-0.80.0000

MICROPT-0.31d

TOUCH PANEL-SYNW0101

RADIO-4.06.00.02_2

Mar 29 2010,21:34:33
Phone version:
Firmware version: 2.1-update1

Baseband version: 32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2

Kernel Version: 2.6.29-54b7033a htc-kernel@and18-2#1

Compilation Version: 1.22.75.1 CL175326 release-keys

Software version: 1.22.75.1

Navigator Version: Webkit 3.1
I followed your guide with r6-desire-root-alt file and this is what I get (using linux):
 Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

sending 'zip' (138708 KB)... OKAY

writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...

INFOsignature checking...

INFOzip header checking...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

INFOchecking main version...

FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)

sending 'zip' (138708 KB)... OKAY

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)

Rebooting to bootloader...

rebooting into bootloader... OKAY

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys and power button to select the RECOVERY option.
When I try to aply the update.zip I get the following:
Verifying update package

E:signature verification failed

Installation aborted

I tryed changing the update.zip file with a rooted 1.23 file just in case the problem is to flash older version than current installed but I've got the same result.

Any ideas?

Anyone have any info on the above issue? I'm in the exact same situation and have tried 2 different goldcards.

Guest pranavd1980

Hello All,

As per the subject i had my HTC Desire purchased in INDIAN grey market (Desire officially not released in INDIA yet...FYI)....Received yesterday and everything is O.K....except the Chinese suggestions while typing....

Devise booting up with default HTC Welcome screen....FYI

Software details of my Desire is as listed below..

Bootloader Version i Have is 0.80

Firmware Version

2.1-update1

Baseband Version

32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.00.02_2

Kernel Version

2.6.29-b7e82785

htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

Build Number5

1.19.707.7 CL171460 release-keys

Software Number

Browser Version

Webkit 3.1

Can someone help me to figure out what method should i use for Rooting my Desire???? As new to android i am confused with the several methods listed in this thread..... :angry: :D ;)

Also wanted to know, What official generic update i have to choose for my device...And the manufacturing country of my device...HOW????

Thanks in Advance......

Guest rekekjeks

Howdy!

I can't seem to get past the part where I run the step1-windows.bat file.

It says:

Desire Root Step 1

<waiting for device>

And after that... nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I'm using XP Pro 32-bit .

Edited by rekekjeks

Guest cgcornish

Help, what am I doing wrong? This is as far as I get.

Desire Root Step 1

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... OKAY

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOstart image[hboot] unzipping for pre-update check...

INFOstart image[hboot] flushing...

INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,0

INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,100

INFOstart image[radio] unzipping for pre-update...

INFOstart image[radio] flushing...

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,0

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,6

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,14

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,19

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,27

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,36

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,44

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,51

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,59

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,100

FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or direc

tory))

Rebooting to bootloader...

rebooting into bootloader... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or direc

tory))

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys

and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

Guest danfrance

Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction as to what I am doing wrong (please?)

I have followed the r6 guide on page 1 of this thread 3 times, end to end. Works perfectly everytime. |the reason i've done it 3 times is that I also followed the apps2sd guide for windows on page 45 of this thread. Once completed, i just get the white HTC logo boot screen and goes no further.

I follow both guides word for word, but I must confess I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to apps2sd. Ive rooted other phones fine too. Anyone got any ideas what I could do different to get this to work?

Many thanks - long time listener, first time caller.

EDIT> please ignore, used modaco 3.1 instead and all working fine.

Edited by danfrance

Guest sumitescp

Hi when I do the step 2 which is going to recovery and do Apply sd card update it fails. I have tried 3 different gold cards. Samsung 4gb that came with the phone, SanDisk 4gb and Nokia 1gb that came with some old crappy phone.

Btw I have the T-mobile UK Desire

I am not exactly a noob been on htc for years now. but this is my 1st android rooting. But i can follow instructions.

Someone please help.

Guest Johnny Doe

In the description it says:

The root process will...

* flash your device with a new, generic 1.15.405.4 based ROM that has Superuser access

The root process will NOT...

* enable you to flash your device with a custom recovery image

--- I'm a newbie to rooting and I'm reading all the forums, but the rooting guides confuse me a little bit. As far as I understand it I first root access to flash a custom ROM in the first place. Why does the rooting procedure already flash a ROM?

And I also thought I need a custom recovery image to flash a ROM, so how can the generic 1.15.405.4 based ROM be flashed without a custom recovery image?

How do I flash a CRI then? I can only find rooting guides and ROM flashing guides in this forum....

Has anyone tried this method: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=725738 ? Because it also seems to be from Koush and it DOES flash a new recovery image (ClockworkMod). So what's the difference between these rooting methods?

thanks a lot!

Edited by Johnny Doe

Guest liorwei

please help me!

ii have fail in signature when i try to apply update.zip.

i have gold card

please help me!

Edited by liorwei

Guest redmongoose

First up, Thanks alot for this risk free root Paul

Any one having problems with the 2 errors below try what I did.........

I was having problems with the step1-windows.bat stage - FAILED (remote: 42 custom id check fail)

Using a different micro SD card as a gold card solved this.

I then started getting - FAILED: (remove:90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

I then used JohnnyUK's edited .bat file located here http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1314313 and voila problem solved

Thanks very much!!

Edited by redmongoose