[GUIDE] Building your own Flashable ROM

Guest amdzero

Guest JohnJayJrV

Instructions on how to remove keyboards would be nice... Great guide though. I was lost before this guide came out! Thanks for all your time and effort....

jv

• 2 weeks later...
Guest snapz54

I downloaded the file on page one post 1, the stock dc23 rom. It is saying it is a partial file, what am I doing wrong?

file name comes out as:

i920 DC23 Stock.7z.001

anyone?

Guest amdzero
I downloaded the file on page one post 1, the stock dc23 rom. It is saying it is a partial file, what am I doing wrong?

file name comes out as:

i920 DC23 Stock.7z.001

anyone?

the file is fine, I forgot to rename it.

Guest Ninja4Hire

file name comes out as:

i920 DC23 Stock.7z.001

anyone?

just take off the .001

Guest snapz54
just take off the .001

It's so obvious I actually thought to do it but I thought it better to waste your guys time :)

thanks for the hand holding folks, sorry to be a dunce.

Guest amdzero

Looks like we now have a sys/xip porting guide for all you i920 users out there. This should enhance your cooking experience. Just keep in mind this is designed to stay in the same COM branch (COM2) although I use COM5 for my Lite and Base ROMS, I did not test these for this guide.

It should still work for porting over say 23569 or WMD, just haven't tested it =)

Guest pw-man

ok - so I am still playing (months and months) on a ROM for myself...

Question: Removing Chome, pointers on the way to clean that out?

Question: Has anyone tried restructuring the file folder structure in OEMApps to look more clean (ala the HTC roms)?

Thanks!!!

Guest amdzero
ok - so I am still playing (months and months) on a ROM for myself...

Question: Removing Chome, pointers on the way to clean that out?

Question: Has anyone tried restructuring the file folder structure in OEMApps to look more clean (ala the HTC roms)?

Thanks!!!

do you mean titanium plugins? I'm not sure I haven't tried.

I'm guessing you just take the 3 CHome folders out of sys and delete titanium*.cpr

I have tried to "deconstruct" the OEMApps folder once, but gave up as it was taking up way to much time. There is just so much crap that it wasn't worth it at the time, I may go back and take another look.

Guest pw-man
do you mean titanium plugins? I'm not sure I haven't tried.

I'm guessing you just take the 3 CHome folders out of sys and delete titanium*.cpr

I'll give that a try and see what happens ;-)

I have tried to "deconstruct" the OEMApps folder once, but gave up as it was taking up way to much time. There is just so much crap that it wasn't worth it at the time, I may go back and take another look.

I hear ya... all the blasten .dll's and image files are annoying... would be nice to be able to figure out what goes with what, so that we you don't want something you are clear on what to remove :-)

Just flashed my first custom ROM and it didn't boot... stuck at the Verizon Wireless logo... Probably got too happy taking stuff out of the sys folder... alpha v2 in build as I type.

Guest amdzero
I'll give that a try and see what happens ;-)

I hear ya... all the blasten .dll's and image files are annoying... would be nice to be able to figure out what goes with what, so that we you don't want something you are clear on what to remove :-)

Just flashed my first custom ROM and it didn't boot... stuck at the Verizon Wireless logo... Probably got too happy taking stuff out of the sys folder... alpha v2 in build as I type.

did you try to port xip, or are you just in the clearing stages?

Guest pw-man
did you try to port xip, or are you just in the clearing stages?

Was just in clearing stages... On a positive note, I put everything back in sys and it finally booted up... so that is good... still a long ways to go... but this is gonna be fun...

Sadly, I need to travel for business, so I am likely gonna flash someone else's rom for the near term just so that I don't run into any troubles whilest away...

Guest amdzero
Was just in clearing stages... On a positive note, I put everything back in sys and it finally booted up... so that is good... still a long ways to go... but this is gonna be fun...

Sadly, I need to travel for business, so I am likely gonna flash someone else's rom for the near term just so that I don't run into any troubles whilest away...

I suggest you find a rom you like long term, and use a backup program (like spb backup) so that when you want to mess with flashing your roms, you can easily (well it takes a bit of time) reflash your favored rom and restore from backup in a few minutes.

Thats what I have been doing at least.

Edited by amdzero

Guest pw-man
I suggest you find a rom you like long term, and use a backup program (like spb backup) so that when you want to mess with flashing your roms, you can easily (well it takes a bit of time) reflash your favored rom and restore from backup in a few minutes.

Thats what I have been doing at least.

Wise suggestion, will need to put that high up on the list once I get back and start trying to cook again... I was very excited to see my ROM actually boot ... though I did not get to test it too much... but soon!

Thanks for the guides... they have been extremely helpful!

Guest amdzero
Wise suggestion, will need to put that high up on the list once I get back and start trying to cook again... I was very excited to see my ROM actually boot ... though I did not get to test it too much... but soon!

Thanks for the guides... they have been extremely helpful!

no problem, I'm going to give it some time, and then post another one about changing icons and creating themes.

• 1 month later...
Guest unchoney
So hows the rom building coming? Does anyone have any questions or any problems? I know taking on a rom is a commitment and actually can be overwhelming if you try to rush it.

Just remember to ask questions if you get stuck. I get stuck all the time on simple stuff. lol I had to ask AMD how to he got DC23 on his new rom. I couldn't figure it out for nothing!

Anyway... Stay Strong Rom Warriors!!

Ok this is my first attempt and I cant get past the part after i download kitchen and run extract files then when i run the buildrom it says my flash rom size is empty instead of the 280 or so ????!!!!! Help what did i miss? The rgu file is there before the build but is missing after?

Guest jezze boi

Most (if not all) of the cooks seem to be married or have professional jobs

just curious.. but how old is the youngest cook here?

sorry it is an irrelevant question... but i'm a very curious person

Guest jezze boi
I'm 19. Don't have a job, i'm a student.

oh ok

i thought i was too young to be doing this

i'm still in high school (17)

Guest xlightwaverx

damn, 30 years old, work about 50-60hrs a week, single dad with 2 kids.

oh ok

i thought i was too young to be doing this

i'm still in high school (17)

Guest Ninja4Hire
Ok this is my first attempt and I cant get past the part after i download kitchen and run extract files then when i run the buildrom it says my flash rom size is empty instead of the 280 or so ????!!!!! Help what did i miss? The rgu file is there before the build but is missing after?

Ok so you can extract the kitchen, but you get an error when you try to build the rom? Do you have all the folders (SYS, OEM, ROM, TOOLS)?

Guest unchoney
Ok so you can extract the kitchen, but you get an error when you try to build the rom? Do you have all the folders (SYS, OEM, ROM, TOOLS)?

No it builds ok with no errors... after the flashnbo shows 0 size? I can open up the winrar download without extracting and the kitchen and everything is there but cannot edit anything without extracting. The 45efa rgu and the dsm file is there in the oem lang 0409 folder before i extract but not after just a 45efa dsm. I have tied to run the builrom command from the rar but the black dos(i think that is what i am seeing) screen flashes then disappears without bringing up the buildos screen like it does after extracting. which the line is just buildrom instead of buildrom.cmd

Guest xlightwaverx

Trying to put NETCF3.5 in. I keep getting this: the target file "temp\dump\mscoree.dll" is a directory, not a file.

HeLP!

X

Guest Ninja4Hire
Trying to put NETCF3.5 in. I keep getting this: the target file "temp\dump\mscoree.dll" is a directory, not a file.

HeLP!

X

3.5 should already be added in unless you are using a stock VZW SYS folder. It comes with all the new builds already.

Guest xlightwaverx

Building my own, just want to know how to get past it. Something about my tools needing it to be a 'flat' something...

Yes, using stock.

3.5 should already be added in unless you are using a stock VZW SYS folder. It comes with all the new builds already.

Guest amdzero
Building my own, just want to know how to get past it. Something about my tools needing it to be a 'flat' something...

Yes, using stock.

using the tools I have given (ultimately from Wozzer THANKS YO!) you cannot have any duplicates.

This means that if there is a shellres.192.dll file in your OEM folder, AND a shellres.192.dll file (OR FOLDER) in the SYS folder somewhere, you will have a failure.

This is easy to fix especailly using windows 7, just do a quick search, as in our example shellres.192.dll in the kitchen root folder. When you see duplicate files, or a file and a folder with the same name, make sure you are using one or the other, and delete or move the other one out of the kitchen SYS/OEM folders.

I have a custom shellres.192.dll for my icons, so I have to remove shellres.192.dll folder (which also has the shellres.192.dll file in it) to another place or delete it.

Make sense? (or does it make ZeroSense? I couldn't help it!)