[GUIDE] Building your own Flashable ROM

Guest amdzero

Guest amdzero
I do not have winmo settings? just samsung settings...now i am getting an error message when i hit the build new xip...the jit debuuger comes up and says not enough space on a certain button???which cab are you talking about do not see one here?

edit: ok got the main menu to work( was selecting the vga instesd of wvga) i know newbie error! but still no winmo settings to add modem to get the internet and the back arrow disappears but hitting the blank square still takes the screen back.

edit2: used the samsung settings to get to add modem and the #777 still no connection(although i get the emblems at the top)

;\\\\\MS Settings

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo]

"HideSettings"=dword:0

this will show the WinMo settings icon in the start menu.

here is the cab for startmenu:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach...st&id=59950

Guest unchoney
;\\\\\MS Settings

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo]

"HideSettings"=dword:0

this will show the WinMo settings icon in the start menu.

here is the cab for startmenu:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach...st&id=59950

ok thanks amd! will try this when i can get a chance to work on it again. Any idea why i could not get the data connection to work with internet?I input the info and still would not let me pull up the internet or email.Will try with the winmo settings once i get that up. i do not know what i was doing wrong but i tried to reflash your sense 2.0v i could not get past the omnia2 screen boot? So i flashed steeles.65 sense rom. I do not know if it makes a difference but once i ported the sys i removed the sysold folder from kitchen and built with just the new modified, also i did not remove or add any changes since i was unsure about what i was really doing with winmerge. I removed the duplicate files that were causing the error messages and got a clean flash from that point. Also would be interested in seeing future lessons on how to do themes,skins,etc.,..

Guest amdzero
ok thanks amd! will try this when i can get a chance to work on it again. Any idea why i could not get the data connection to work with internet?I input the info and still would not let me pull up the internet or email.Will try with the winmo settings once i get that up. i do not know what i was doing wrong but i tried to reflash your sense 2.0v i could not get past the omnia2 screen boot? So i flashed steeles.65 sense rom. I do not know if it makes a difference but once i ported the sys i removed the sysold folder from kitchen and built with just the new modified, also i did not remove or add any changes since i was unsure about what i was really doing with winmerge. I removed the duplicate files that were causing the error messages and got a clean flash from that point. Also would be interested in seeing future lessons on how to do themes,skins,etc.,..

welcome, yeah I have a lot of things I'd like to do, but I'm trying to accomplish them one at a time. A new guide is something I've wanted to do for a while, but its on the back burner.

the only folders that matter for a cook is SYS, OEM, and ROM

The other folders are not really necessary (well you need tools but tools doesn't go INTO the rom), and you can have as many or a little other folders as you want.

My sense 2.0 rom has to be tapped at the top in order to complete the initial boot, but it should go past the Omnia II screen for sure.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Guest unchoney

Ok got winmo settings ,set up new modem with proper input and still cannot make connection.. i get "your connection has ended check settings" i do have the 3g emblem and wifi panel shows data connection on.. what am i missing? also cannot get swype to take in input screen and missing office?It shows in sysyem but not in programs once i flash tried to copy in winmerge the office folders from old system to current but still no luck?

Guest amdzero
Ok got winmo settings ,set up new modem with proper input and still cannot make connection.. i get "your connection has ended check settings" i do have the 3g emblem and wifi panel shows data connection on.. what am i missing? also cannot get swype to take in input screen and missing office?It shows in sysyem but not in programs once i flash tried to copy in winmerge the office folders from old system to current but still no luck?

would it be possible to pm me a link to your kitchen so that I can take a look. its difficult for me to see what is going on with out something in front of me.

Guest unchoney
would it be possible to pm me a link to your kitchen so that I can take a look. its difficult for me to see what is going on with out something in front of me.

Will do tonite when i get home. email started working but could not open the message up? I also flashed your 2.0 sense this morning and was having the same problems with email and connections. Kept getting error mesage that could not connect with current settings? Maybe i will try with a fresh download also and do a port with stock rom without taking anything out and then try removing stuff. Really would like to get this working so i can go onto creating my own themes and icons,etc,...Thank you for all the help! Truly appreciate it!

edit: did get swype to work(had to run the tutorial!)

edit2: how deep do we need to go to get rid of the cube,and when we remark the other stuff should we be remarking out all the lines below the link line like we do with opera? Do we need to remove the stuff in oemapps as well(the shortcuts,pings,etc,.) or does it matter since since we are remarking out the directory with the links in the inidat file?

edit3: i am thinking i got a bad download from the kitchen.. i ran a new download for your sense2.0 and runs great now..was having the same problem the first time with the data connection as i was with your sense2.0?

Edited by unchoney

Guest unchoney

Amd i am still having problem with 23569 kitchen not being able to open up email past the header and create new message? Any ideas? I have no idea where to look or what to change so will wait to hear from the cooks. Email and internet are connecting.

edit: also cannot reply to text mail can send new but will not open up window to reply.

Edited by unchoney

Guest amdzero
Amd i am still having problem with 23569 kitchen not being able to open up email past the header and create new message? Any ideas? I have no idea where to look or what to change so will wait to hear from the cooks. Email and internet are connecting.

edit: also cannot reply to text mail can send new but will not open up window to reply.

go to sys, delete shell and redist folders

copy sys and redist from stock kitchen back into your 23569 kitchen sys and it should work.

You may have noticed some strange (older) looking icons in the start menu, because the provxml files haven't been running as well... am I right?

• 2 months later...
Guest dumfone

@AMD and NINJA (if you read this)

Since you two are really the only prevalent cooks for the i920 I really have only you two to ask. I used to have the i910 and attempted cooking I ultimately got my self confused and gave up, this did not matter much because there was a vast array of chefs already. I downloaded the latest Kitchen for i920 recently, I have had i920 for quite a bit now so I am pretty familiar with it also the latest kitchen I have found to be far more user friendly then the ones I tried with i910. (GET TO THE POINT) :) I am asking for some basic help to get me off on my feet. For one I dont feel as though I have all the tools I need from the kitchen alone, to make modifications simple. (ie. I remove cube.exe, how do I edit and modify the right soft key?) Also is there a simple way to remove all dependencies to a certain app? I'm thinking I should have a emulator and what do you use to burn 3rd parties into the rom. sorry for all the questions if pm-ing would be easier let me know. I'm ready to get in the kitchen and give back to the community, especially considering the amount of chefs we have is ridiculous thanks for you to for being the pioneers with the O2, it only gets a bad name because there are not more people trying to improve it!

Guest amdzero
@AMD and NINJA (if you read this)

Since you two are really the only prevalent cooks for the i920 I really have only you two to ask. I used to have the i910 and attempted cooking I ultimately got my self confused and gave up, this did not matter much because there was a vast array of chefs already. I downloaded the latest Kitchen for i920 recently, I have had i920 for quite a bit now so I am pretty familiar with it also the latest kitchen I have found to be far more user friendly then the ones I tried with i910. (GET TO THE POINT) :) I am asking for some basic help to get me off on my feet. For one I dont feel as though I have all the tools I need from the kitchen alone, to make modifications simple. (ie. I remove cube.exe, how do I edit and modify the right soft key?) Also is there a simple way to remove all dependencies to a certain app? I'm thinking I should have a emulator and what do you use to burn 3rd parties into the rom. sorry for all the questions if pm-ing would be easier let me know. I'm ready to get in the kitchen and give back to the community, especially considering the amount of chefs we have is ridiculous thanks for you to for being the pioneers with the O2, it only gets a bad name because there are not more people trying to improve it!

HOLY RUN ON SENTENCE BATMAN!

j/k

Hey if you need help cooking then this is the right place to go. I view this forum regularly. If you are serious about cooking roms, then PM me and I can get you better help.

For now, I can answer a few things.

Remove all dependencies for an app: This is easier said than done. I've spent many weeks on doing this very thing. Often times I just remove files that are obvious and leave the rest. Its not a science, but it does take perseverance. I'm currently back to working on a better kitchen to release.

More tools: Well what are you needing more tools for? I personally use the following tools in edition to the kitchens...

WinMerge...........................(Godsend to troubleshooting files/folders)

Notepad++........................(THE editor to use when editing provxml, rgu files)

package creator 2.7............(used to convert cab to oem)

Win ce manager.................(used to create cabs)

recmod.exe........................(used to collapse folder into dll/exe and vise versa)

regedit (rgucomp.exe)........(used to examine the default.hv/user.hv and convert between .rgu files and .hv files)

XipKitchen Beta6...............(used when porting over a new xip.bin)

pkg_converter_eng.exe......(convert EXT packages to OEM packages)

7zip..................................(to compress files to save space/upload to file server)

4shared.com......................(used to store files off-site and share with others)

Edited by amdzero

Guest dumfone

perseverance is a great descriptive, DO you use an emulator? I hit a brick-wall with the package creator, I do not know what the output file looks like or where its being sent, I know it is not coming up in the Kitchen.

Guest amdzero
perseverance is a great descriptive, DO you use an emulator? I hit a brick-wall with the package creator, I do not know what the output file looks like or where its being sent, I know it is not coming up in the Kitchen.

no, I don't use an emulator.

-unpack the package creator to a folder

-copy whatever cab to be converted to that folder

-run package creator

-select the file and click ok

by default it puts the output OEM directory in the same folder as the package creator executable.

A word of caution however, this forum doesn't allow pirated software to be posted NOR cooked, so don't use any "special" cabs with your kitchen unless it is for private use only.

Guest dumfone

A word of caution however, this forum doesn't allow pirated software to be posted NOR cooked, so don't use any "special" cabs with your kitchen unless it is for private use only.

Guest amdzero

Yea, it will be a while I am sure until I have a rom worthy of publishing. On another note, are there any tools to help with making themes that anyone knows of or is it done by going through each file?

tell me what you want to change and I'll point you to the right file(s).

I do it by hand, mostly off someone else's work/ideas.

Guest dumfone

I just used the program ThemeGenCe.exe, as usual Google was my friend! It was incredibly easy and modified the basics. It allowed me to just use a pre-existing theme change the visuals and it rebuilt it into a cab for me. Saweet!