Shocked!!!

Guest DaveGrohl

Guest DaveGrohl

I have recently recieved a HTC desire as an upgrade and I was surprised to find that I can't install apps to the SD card. I have been able to do this on every windows mobile I've had. It's disgusting and insulting to google's customers that this feature is missing on a supposed high end phone when many "lesser" phone have this ability. Something needs to be done!!!

Guest krelvinaz

Your Desire is not a Window Mobile device. It uses Android which is known to have this limitation, since the beginning.

While you cannot save programs on the SDCard, you can save other data like email, photos, music, sounds etc...

This limit, might be removed in newer versions of Android.

Edited by krelvinaz

Guest DaveGrohl

I know but the limitation should never have been there in the first place. If they are going to compete with Apple they'll need to sort this. Just the for the record the desire is a great phone and I would recommend it to anyone :huh:

Guest squirreleater
I know but the limitation should never have been there in the first place. If they are going to compete with Apple they'll need to sort this. Just the for the record the desire is a great phone and I would recommend it to anyone :huh:

Hang in there, you should soon be able to flash a Rom from Paul here that will allow Apps to SD.

Google are hotly rumoured to be making apps on the storage card something that will be on 2.2 (Froyo). We should find out soon, hopefully it'll get rolled out officially to the Desire soon afterwards.

Guest Webreaper

Have you actually run out of space on your phone yet?

I've had Android devices for 18 months and have only hit a limit on ROM storage for apps once - and that was after installing a huge number of apps including Quake - which itself is something like 30MB. Most apps are very small, and only store the executable on the phone - all of the app storage (data etc) will be on the SD card for any decently-written app.

So this is a total non-issue. It certainly isn't "disgusting" or "insulting to customers"; that's a massive over-reaction.

As mentioned, the word is that Froyo (Android 2.2) will remove this restriction anyway, and allow apps to be run from the SD card anyway.

Guest squirreleater
Have you actually run out of space on your phone yet?

I've had Android devices for 18 months and have only hit a limit on ROM storage for apps once - and that was after installing a huge number of apps including Quake - which itself is something like 30MB. Most apps are very small, and only store the executable on the phone - all of the app storage (data etc) will be on the SD card for any decently-written app.

So this is a total non-issue. It certainly isn't "disgusting" or "insulting to customers"; that's a massive over-reaction.

As mentioned, the word is that Froyo (Android 2.2) will remove this restriction anyway, and allow apps to be run from the SD card anyway.

Fair point, It's very rare for someone to actually run out of storage on the phone.

Guest ai69
Fair point, It's very rare for someone to actually run out of storage on the phone.

I, for one, run out of space all the time. Just like the OP I come from the Windows Mobile world and while I agree he might have come across as a bit overreacting, I think inability to install Apps to SD is *definitely* a serious issue.

The Desire is my first Android phone, as well as other concepts such as Market. It's a pity that I had to find out that there is a trade-off between the # of applications you want installed and available space. I hope this will be addressed in 2.2.

Edited by ai69