[HOWTO] Unroot your HTC Desire

Guest 42turkeys

Guest 42turkeys
When I press back + power I see the option for fastboot yes, white text on a red background.

What do I need to do next??

When you are in fastboot (androids on skateboards) then run the RUU (exe you dloaded) with your Hero connected.

Edited by 42turkeys

Guest dweebuk
When you are in fastboot (androids on skateboards) then run the RUU (exe you dloaded) with your Hero connected.

OK done that - now it's saying the current image version is 1.15.405.3 am I OK to go ahead with the 1.15.405.4 exe?

The previous times I have run 405.4, it informed me that 405.4 was already on the phone, I went ahead anyhow, and that's when it fails with the error.

Thanks

Edited by dweebuk

Guest 42turkeys
OK done that - now it's saying the current image version is 1.15.405.3 am I OK to go ahead with the 1.15.405.4 exe?

Thanks

Yeah that's fine, prey it works! :)

Guest dweebuk
Yeah that's fine, prey it works! :)

I prayed - but same error. :)

Just tried entering fastboot whilst it was connected to the pc - now it says 'fastboot usb' don't suppose that will make a difference?

Edited by dweebuk

Guest 42turkeys
I prayed - but same error. :)

131 custom Id error? Try and find an ruu for your network and run that. if you can't find one you need a goldcard. If you have to do that then follow that goldcard guide I linked to earlier and completely format your SD card, then put it in your desire and boot into fastboot and run the ruu.

Guest dweebuk
131 custom Id error? Try and find an ruu for your network and run that. if you can't find one you need a goldcard. If you have to do that then follow that goldcard guide I linked to earlier and completely format your SD card, then put it in your desire and boot into fastboot and run the ruu.

I put in a goldcard and re ran the ruu - it seems to be doing a little more this time - I had a green bar updating on the phone.

Voda UK haven't released the rom for the Desire yet. It seems as though all other networks in the UK have except for them!

Fingers crossed that this is working now.....

I will update shortly..

Guest dweebuk

SUCCESS!!

You are a genius!

I can never thank you enough for all your help, and patience!

I hope I can learn enough to help a newb in the future!

Thanks again

Daz.

Guest 42turkeys
SUCCESS!!

You are a genius!

I can never thank you enough for all your help, and patience!

I hope I can learn enough to help a newb in the future!

Thanks again

Daz.

We got there in the end. :)

Guest dweebuk
We got there in the end. :)

Typical, the Voda UK rom hit the web today! could have saved some time if I had waited.

Was a good way to learn a little more about the phone tho.

Thanks again

Daz

Guest tlswlsdn

I'm a very confused new desire user so please be gentle with me :)

My device was shipped with RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_sign

d.exe and I have tried to flash with RUU_Bravo_hTC_Asia_WWE_1.19.707.7_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126179

signed.exe with a goldcard but I kept getting Error 140: bootloader error. So I flashed with RUU_Bravo_hTC_Asia_India_1.21.720.4_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_1277

5_signed.exe and it flashed for the first time.

Thought this rom contained asian languages but only had english?

Could anyone help me flash to RUU_Bravo_hTC_Asia_WWE_1.19.707.7_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126179

signed.exe ?

Does this rom contain asian languages?

Thanks so much!! would save me from tearing my hair out

Guest bllmcleod

Hi im trying to go back to t-mobile uk im bootloader 0.80 i downloaded the rom for it but the twice ive tried ive got 2 error messages the first was error 171 unable to contact handset and tht second was error 140 saying please download the correct udate rom or something to that effect, i was wondering if anyone could help, my current rom is the r6 risk free 1 and as i said 0.80 bootloader, ps als the 1st time i tried it took ages to find the bootloader, i have my goldcard inserted both times, any help well appreciated cheers in advance, billy ;)

Guest 42turkeys
Hi im trying to go back to t-mobile uk im bootloader 0.80 i downloaded the rom for it but the twice ive tried ive got 2 error messages the first was error 171 unable to contact handset and tht second was error 140 saying please download the correct udate rom or something to that effect, i was wondering if anyone could help, my current rom is the r6 risk free 1 and as i said 0.80 bootloader, ps als the 1st time i tried it took ages to find the bootloader, i have my goldcard inserted both times, any help well appreciated cheers in advance, billy ;)

The tmo rom has a 0.75 bootloader, please follow the downgrade hboot guide and then run the ruu. :(

Guest elknipso

I have a free HTC Desire with 0.80 Bootloader and will make unroot. But it isnt working. I use the file "RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.15.405.4_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_122704.e

e"

htcupdatetool1yk0.png

Guest 42turkeys
I have a free HTC Desire with 0.80 Bootloader and will make unroot. But it isnt working. I use the file "RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.15.405.4_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_122704.e

e"

htcupdatetool1yk0.png

You need to use the 0.80 version.

Guest bakak

hi,

do i have to use the ruu from the original carrier?

i have a desire from o2 germany (hboot 0.80) but i'm stuck in an t-mobile contract.

so, can i install a ruu from t-mobile, or may it cause problems?

Guest dedreiix
I used the version for 0.80 ...

I have the same problem too.

O2 de Desire. I dont know which ROM I should use. I tried the ROM from o2online but that didn´t worked too.

Could the goldcard be the problem? - I made my sd card to a gold card before i rooted the phone.

Do I maybe need to make the card again to a gold card?

Guest elknipso
I have the same problem too.

O2 de Desire. I dont know which ROM I should use. I tried the ROM from o2online but that didn´t worked too.

Could the goldcard be the problem? - I made my sd card to a gold card before i rooted the phone.

Do I maybe need to make the card again to a gold card?

I could solve this by now. The cause is the boot loader 0.80 ROM which no less than or equal allows the current version.

The solution is quite complicated and was even said to me over the phone. Well beyond the scope of a forum.

Desire had a free way without branding.

Guest dedreiix
I could solve this by now. The cause is the boot loader 0.80 ROM which no less than or equal allows the current version.

The solution is quite complicated and was even said to me over the phone. Well beyond the scope of a forum.

Desire had a free way without branding.

It would be realy nice if you could tell us how you did it.

Bitte :lol:

Guest elknipso

I would really like. but had telephone assistance in the implementation of a mod of another forum.

I try sometimes to describe in broad terms, maybe someone will help even more already.

We have a "misc.img" created file, and in this one with Hexeditior the value of currently installed version ROM reduced. This had the sense that the boot loader in the review not just break off because the version you want to flash the less than or equal to the current version.

In fact, we have changed this line:

hexupir.png

Then you could have problems without the official RUU Update again run over it, which has also made the root reversed.

Guest lethalbody

dedrelix,

Look here for the explanation:

http://www.android-hilfe.de/root-hacking-m...ire-fertig.html

I did it myself as I was previously on a rooted modaco rom but wanted to revert back to the original o2 branded rom but I kept getting a 140 Error.

Then I came across that link and it's pretty straightforward to do as long you don't mess anything up.

I was going to type up a proper translation when I get the time just so that other people could benefit from it.

Guest dedreiix
dedrelix,

Look here for the explanation:

http://www.android-hilfe.de/root-hacking-m...ire-fertig.html

I did it myself as I was previously on a rooted modaco rom but wanted to revert back to the original o2 branded rom but I kept getting a 140 Error.

Then I came across that link and it's pretty straightforward to do as long you don't mess anything up.

I was going to type up a proper translation when I get the time just so that other people could benefit from it.

Nice, thank you i will download that stuff and safe it. :lol:

Oh,

I got some things to do today, but when I´m back at home I will translate ist from German to English and post it here.

Edited by dedreiix

Guest dedreiix
Nice, thank you i will download that stuff and safe it. :lol:

Oh,

I got some things to do today, but when I´m back at home I will translate ist from German to English and post it here.

Here´s the translation of the German howto for unrooting(Original can be found here: http://www.android-hilfe.de/root-hacking-m...re-fertig.html)

For the idea:

The idea to this unrooting came to me while I was reading a conversation on the ModaCo - IRC.

1. What do we need:

1.1. A Hex-Editor (HxD - Freeware Hex Editor and Disk Editor | mh-nexus)

1.2. A rooted Desire (sure otherwise no unroot needed)

1.3. The misc.img (how to get it see the next step)

1.4. The flash_image.zip from this link: http://www.android-hilfe.de/root-hacking-m...ire-fertig.html

2. Creating the misc.img

2.1. Connect the Desire to the PC and access via ADB:

----> adb shell

2.2. Mount SD-Card in your system

----> mount /sdcard

2.3. Copy the Misc-Partition (mtd0) on the SD-Card

----> cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/misc.img

3. Editing misc.img:

3.1. Copy the misc.img you´ve just created on your SD-Card onto your PC

3.2. Start the program "HxD - Hex Editor"

3.3. Open the file via "File -> open" (Datei -> öffnen)

3.4. Only line 11 is interesting for us; it should be 1.21.405.1

3.5. Now we change 1.21.405.1 into another value, I decided myself for 1.117.405.1

3.6. After the changes have been made we safe the file with another name (e.g. misc-mod.img)

3.7. Copy the changed version of the file back to your SD-Card

4. Installing the changed misc.img (misc-mod.img)

4.1. Download the file flash_image.zip from the link (http://www.android-hilfe.de/root-hacking-modding-fuer-htc-desire/30011-how-rebrand-o2-desire-fertig.html) and unzip it on your SD-Card

4.2. The content must be moved via ADB into the directory DATA

----> cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image

4.3. Now we will make the file executable

----> chmod 755 /data/flash_image

4.4. Flashing the new misc.img (misc-mod.img)

----> /data/flash_image misc /sdcard/misc-mod.img

(It could be necesary to try this step several times. For me it worked on the first run.)

Now you should be able to flash your original RUU from O2

e.g. from here: http://rapidshare.com/files/38684179...2signedRUU.exe

Special thanks goes to burst from android-hilfe.de

Edited by dedreiix