MCR 4.0 ROM Its Way!

Guest Fleming

Guest Lordsmiff

I find the image of several people on here running around chasing their tails like puppies for Paul quite amusing :-D

Still, with the announcement of the HTC wildfire which runs the same processor as the hero, does this mean that the 2.1 update for hero is that little bit closer to hitting the servers?

Paul tweeted (yip yip yip) that this week was going to be a good one for android - let's hope that it's good news in a hero-update-is-finally-here kind of way...sounds like the sense on the wildfire has some interesting bits that hopefully make it to the hero as well...

Now, where's my tail gone...?

Smiffy.

Guest mobydeek

Same processor? Wildfire's MSM7225 v Hero's MSM7200A

(yea i have no clue about them, im merely going on the numbers :) )

Guest jonathanmusto
i notice there isnt the new Fade-out transition on Sliding to Unlock?!

i was looking forward to that on the hero aswell...

Surely Spareparts can take care of that?

Guest toxaris

Funny report here. Apparently the Hero Update will be delayed for a few weeks here in Europe. This due to Google who apparently has to approve all firmwares. Since the Hero has different SKU's here in Europe and HTC wants to deliver the update to everyone at the same time, it has to be approved for all SKU's. The firmware is ready according to HTC, but waiting for Google....

Guest delanvital
Funny report here. Apparently the Hero Update will be delayed for a few weeks here in Europe. This due to Google who apparently has to approve all firmwares. Since the Hero has different SKU's here in Europe and HTC wants to deliver the update to everyone at the same time, it has to be approved for all SKU's. The firmware is ready according to HTC, but waiting for Google....

Source?

Surely Spareparts can take care of that?

Spare parts doesn't add stuff, it unlocks access to already present options. If there's no transition as part of the ROM then they can't be unlocked...

Guest stalins

Legend, Incredible, Desire, and Eris(2.1) kernels are online now here. Hopefully we'll see some Hero stuff soon... But I don't believe it until I see it. For now I'm more than satisfied with MoDaCO 3.2 :)

Guest toxaris
Source?

Source is Mark Moons, regional manager of HTC Benelux. The source article is in dutch, but if you want and try to read it:

article

Perhaps Google translate can make something funny of it.

Right now I'm just hoping for a Vanilla 2.2 for my Hero :rolleyes:

That's what I'd like most of all too. It's Google Experience Phones from now on for me, I think.

Guest mobydeek
Right now I'm just hoping for a Vanilla 2.2 for my Hero :D

me too, except i'm still on the look out for a decent looking Music Widget and Bookmarks Widget to make the switch to Vanilla a bit easier :rolleyes:

Guest Lordsmiff
me too, except i'm still on the look out for a decent looking Music Widget and Bookmarks Widget to make the switch to Vanilla a bit easier :rolleyes:

Pure music Widget is fantastic - works fine for me with no FC's and has several different configurations to choose from :D

Can't help you with the bookmarks one though...

HTH

Smiffy.

Guest trstn

Indeed, the dude at google is right - Hero is a legacy device now. It's a shame but Android handsets are moving so fast, they've gone four generations in 12 months rather than 4 years.

Hero's still a great phone, I love mine, I'll enjoy 2.1 for as long as I enjoy it, and probably go to vanilla android versions further down the line.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lundefugl
Indeed, the dude at google is right - Hero is a legacy device now. It's a shame but Android handsets are moving so fast, they've gone four generations in 12 months rather than 4 years.

Hero's still a great phone, I love mine, I'll enjoy 2.1 for as long as I enjoy it, and probably go to vanilla android versions further down the line.

With the promised speed/memory optimizations and JIT in 2.2, it would make the 'legacy' Hero a still useful (even great?) device for a couple more generations, until we see new killer devices with the newly announced 1.2GHz dual core Snapdragon cpu or something... After trying out some of the latest 2.1 ROMs with OC and JIT I have decided to not go for a Desire/N1/Evo upgrade, but keep my Hero until something like that turns up.

Guest englishpunk
With the promised speed/memory optimizations and JIT in 2.2, it would make the 'legacy' Hero a still useful (even great?) device for a couple more generations, until we see new killer devices with the newly announced 1.2GHz dual core Snapdragon cpu or something... After trying out some of the latest 2.1 ROMs with OC and JIT I have decided to not go for a Desire/N1/Evo upgrade, but keep my Hero until something like that turns up.

Same for me, no point upgrading from the Hero to the Desire when the Incredible/Evo are knocking about in the US, surely only a matter of months before something similar ( Glacier ? LED ? ) is available here. Don't get me wrong, the Desire is the best Android handset out there, but with such a quick delivery cycle now, it's too late in the day to consider it for upgrade, especially the way networks are dragging contracts out and the draconian upgrade measures they're putting in place :(

Guest RockVJ

I completely agree with the above - I'm running a Hero/G2 Touch on T-Mob I purchased in October. I find it to be a great device, especially with Modaco 3.2 - to be honest, I'm happy enough to wait for an official 2.1 (and then Modaco version obviously) update, to give me a bit more life in the device until my contract runs out in March/April 2010.

Besides, it makes sense that with the T-Mob/Orange affair happening this summer (which will hopefully give me better reception), when LTE/4g networks start to become prevalent in 2011, it's the ideal time to upgrade to a 4g phone. At which point, the Desire owners on 18/24 month contracts will be jealous of past Hero owners now rocking the latest and greatest HTC phones with Android 3.0 Gingerbread, 4g support and better battery (though the last bonus may be a pipedream...)

Guest milko9000
jealous of past Hero owners now rocking the latest and greatest HTC phones with Android 3.0 Gingerbread, 4g support and better battery (though the last bonus may be a pipedream...)

screw that, when I update my Hero it'll be to whatever the best 'Google Experience' phone is, I'm not messing about waiting for HTC's update process again! (of course, going by the Nexus One that may well still be a HTC phone, in which case I shut up)