[TUT]How to flash Official WM 6.5 ROMs for other countries (currently JC2, European) on B7610 in India

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

@talktoanil : Hmm you seem to be a bit new to WinMo. Anyways, do this :

First do the steps with Today Plugins and Resco Explorer as I have told in my previous post.

Then, Go to windows folder in Resco, and try to delete all the files I have specified in post #1. Continue doing it till you start to get the "cannot delete file in rom" error for every file written in post #1. After that, reboot your phone.

@indivx: First, be calm. Dont get confused with this CSC stuff. I have not flashed the JC2 CSC as it is not made for India and my phone is on original CSC. The JC2 CSC copies the wrong keyboard layout file on first boot which causes the keyboard to behave erratically. I have not modified any CSC, i just dumped my csc and then disassembled it to look what customizations it is doing in the rom at first boot. After finding that out, I prepared a list of files it copies into phone memory on first boot, and that list i have given in the first post. These files, in their updated, 6.5 versions are present in the ROM itself and do not need to be copied by CSC. But since CSC is 6.1 based, it does that.

So just leave the CSC as it is. Flash all other parts, and after first boot, delete the wrong files copied by CSC into the phone memory as given in the first post and you will be good to go.

Edited by Sumit Bhardwaj

Guest talktoanil

Thanks

1 more request.

Now i am using Default WinMO UI.

now we have contacts Link at left bottom. when i tap on it , it takes me to the default windows UI wala contacts list.

is it possible to point this to samsung UI wala Contacts list ??

Guest indivx
@talktoanil : Hmm you seem to be a bit new to WinMo. Anyways, do this :

First do the steps with Today Plugins and Resco Explorer as I have told in my previous post.

Then, Go to windows folder in Resco, and try to delete all the files I have specified in post #1. Continue doing it till you start to get the "cannot delete file in rom" error for every file written in post #1. After that, reboot your phone.

@indivx: First, be calm. Dont get confused with this CSC stuff. I have not flashed the JC2 CSC as it is not made for India and my phone is on original CSC. The JC2 CSC copies the wrong keyboard layout file on first boot which causes the keyboard to behave erratically. I have not modified any CSC, i just dumped my csc and then disassembled it to look what customizations it is doing in the rom at first boot. After finding that out, I prepared a list of files it copies into phone memory on first boot, and that list i have given in the first post. These files, in their updated, 6.5 versions are present in the ROM itself and do not need to be copied by CSC. But since CSC is 6.1 based, it does that.

So just leave the CSC as it is. Flash all other parts, and after first boot, delete the wrong files copied by CSC into the phone memory as given in the first post and you will be good to go.

Thanks sumit for your help and information which you provided. I also read the whole thread and I also wants to know that after flashing all the JC2 parts except the CSC, let the phone start or boot----is it now that we delete the files you have mentioned in the 1st post or after installing your uploaded rom pda part.

I just asked about the JC2 CSC as somebody mentioned in that thread that the keyboard layout for only two symbols has been changed by using the JC2 CSC and rest is fine. I am asking only because that why cant we all here in our country cannot update all the latest parts of the JC2 as many other people are doing elsewhere as our phones are not network locked or service provider specific.............I may be wrong.........but believe me your answer will definitely help clear my doubts.

Thanks for your support and We would also love if you could add another TUT regarding cooking roms using the kitchen which you mentioned you have now. Really this is what I really wants to do.

Regards

Indivx

Edited by indivx

Guest indivx
Thanks

1 more request.

now we have contacts Link at left bottom. when i tap on it , it takes me to the default windows UI wala contacts list.

Hi anil,

I would like to know which OCtan's Downloader version you used for flashing the rom.

Regards

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj
Thanks sumit for your help and information which you provided. I also read the whole thread what -talktoanil- and now me also wants to know that after flashing all the JC2 parts except the CSC, let the phone start or boot----is it now that we delete the files you have mentioned or after installing your uploaded rom pda part. I just asked about the JC2 CSC as somebody mentioned in that thread that the keyboard layout for only two symbols has been changed and rest is fine. What does the CSC actually does.......I am curious really. I am asking only because that why cant we all here in our country cannot update all the latest parts of the JC2 as many other people are doing elsewhere as our phones are not network locked or service provider specific.............I may be wrong.........but believe me your answer for all these will clear my doubts forever.

Thanks for your support and We would also like you to add another TUT regarding cooking roms using the kitchen which you mentioned you have now. Really this is what I really wants to do.

Regards

Indivx

It really depends on you. The official ROM that you will flash will have a bit low program memory and phone memory, which is usual for official roms. If you want to keep it that way, there is no need to flash my rom, just proceed with the deleting of files. I have modified the PDA part of the official rom and hence it provides more phone mem and program mem. If you want these, just shut down your phone after first boot is complete using official JC2 and then flash my rom. After flashing and first boot, proceed with deletion of files.

CSC is a storage system given to OEM (which is Samsung here) or Carriers (Vodafone etc, but this concept is no there in India for B7610) to let them store their customizations they want to do to the core rom offered by Samsung. These customizations are automatically applied on first boot after flashing or hard reset by phone. The customizations can be anything like copying some files (wallpapers, ringtones etc), or modifying some registry settings etc.

In our case, What Samsung uses CSC for is to :

1. Provide updated settings for data connections for various telecom providers in India. This settings database is used by the connection setup wizards that comes up on second boot, or when you configure connections for a provider in settings. These settings are stored primarily in the file imeiIndia.pfg. The file is also present in the rom itself, but this way they can keep it updated even if they dont release a rom. CSC can be updated dynamically but rom files cant be.

2. Copy some files related to touchwiz and samsung today in windows folder. I dont know why they do so. But what I do know is that they copy 5 very critical files, WidgetPlus.dll, WidgetPlus.swf,DefaultPlugIns.dll, open_widget_order_flash.dat and optionally widgets.dat. These are the core files for TouchWiz/Samsung today interfaces. Because of these we get errors in these plugins, as our CSC copies the WM 6.1 versions of these files.

3. Changing some registry settings using CSCConfig.reg and CSCConfig.xml. .reg one is a standard registry file and .xml one is a provisioning XML, a more advance customization format specified by Microsoft. Dont worry about the details, but these files are good and should be left as they are.

4. To copy the keymap file for the hardware keyboad. The file that our CSC copies is XT9.Samsung.B7610.Keyboard.English.kmap.txt. This ensures that they can supply same rom to different countries with just different CSC.

So CSC works in conjunction with language packs embedded into official roms to provide a region agnostic way to Samsung for delivering ROMS. Now I think you can understand, that its not that we CANT flash the JC2 CSC, its just that we SHOULDNT. The CSC that has came with JC2 ROM is specific to some country and therefore changes the keyboard layout and other settings according to that. We should either use our original CSC or wait for Samsung to release a WM 6.5 compatible CSC.

Now please note, that even when Samsung will release the CSC officially, the only difference it will have is the difference we are doing right now. It just wont copy unnecessary files, thats it. So using our 6.1 CSC and then making these changes after first boot is almost like using an official 6.5 CSC from Samsung.

I hope this will clear all your doubts :) As for the kitchen tut, I will first try to extract out all the samsung apps in individual packages. After that I will release the kitchen, using which one can remove any of the unwanted samsung apps and cook a personal rom. It wont be like we have it today, either extremely light roms or full roms. Delete what you dont need, Keep what you need, and cook a rom for yourself. I am not saying it will be an easy kitchen and everybody will be able to use it without a bit of studying, but it will be much easier than today.

This will, however, take some time. Bear with me till then ;)

Edited by Sumit Bhardwaj

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj
Thanks

1 more request.

Yes its possible. But you will need a registry editor for this. There are many free available out there. Just navigate to the follwing key :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\CHome]

and change the value of SK1URL to "\Windows\phonebook.lnk" (sans quotes)

Thats it!

@indivx Use Octans version 2.14, i think thats the latest.

Edited by Sumit Bhardwaj

Guest talktoanil
Hi anil,

I would like to know which OCtan's Downloader version you used for flashing the rom.

Regards

OCTANS_Downloader_v2.14

let me know your OS and if its 32 or 64 bit

i can help on that if required.

Guest talktoanil

@Sumit Bhardwaj

The only bug i found in your ROM is the speaker volume is way to low in Media Player and also in FM Radio. Its really way too low...not even half. on wino 6.1 my FM radio loudspeaker was very loud and now its not even half.

I am sure that i have set the volume to full 10 and also checked that those hardware keys (up and down) at left side is also FULL set at 5

Let me know how can i fix this issue. if this is solved then i am using this ROM for my daily use.

2nd Query

I flashed JC2 ROM FULL n then your NB0 file. Now phone is working and tried to delete the files you mentioned. i was not able to delete few files as its on ROM then rebooted my phone and re-enabled samsung today plug-in and now when i switch to WORK mode i can see proper samsung Today Plugin.

So is my phone OK now ? or do i need to do anything else ?

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj
@Sumit Bhardwaj

The only bug i found in your ROM is the speaker volume is way to low in Media Player and also in FM Radio. Its really way too low...not even half. on wino 6.1 my FM radio loudspeaker was very loud and now its not even half.

I am sure that i have set the volume to full 10 and also checked that those hardware keys (up and down) at left side is also FULL set at 5

Let me know how can i fix this issue. if this is solved then i am using this ROM for my daily use.

2nd Query

I flashed JC2 ROM FULL n then your NB0 file. Now phone is working and tried to delete the files you mentioned. i was not able to delete few files as its on ROM then rebooted my phone and re-enabled samsung today plug-in and now when i switch to WORK mode i can see proper samsung Today Plugin.

So is my phone OK now ? or do i need to do anything else ?

Query1 : Yes its possible. See this thread for a solution : http://www.modaco.com/content/b7610-omnia-...usic-radio-etc/

Query 2: Try to use both TouchWiz and Samsung today interfaces. On touchwiz, you should be able to see numbers 1,2,3 at the top of screen (that shows the position of the 3 touchwiz screens) instead of the 3 bars which we had in WM 6.1. And Samsung today must be loading and working properly. If these two things are true, then yes, you are good to go, no further actions needed.

Guest talktoanil
Query1 : Yes its possible. See this thread for a solution : http://www.modaco.com/content/b7610-omnia-...usic-radio-etc/

Query 2: Try to use both TouchWiz and Samsung today interfaces. On touchwiz, you should be able to see numbers 1,2,3 at the top of screen (that shows the position of the 3 touchwiz screens) instead of the 3 bars which we had in WM 6.1. And Samsung today must be loading and working properly. If these two things are true, then yes, you are good to go, no further actions needed.

yes i can see 1 2 3 when i enable touchwiz and samsung today also works gr8 when i switch to work mode...

thanks for your replies.

EDIT : can you post your TODAY SCREEN ???

Edited by talktoanil

Guest talktoanil

@Sumit Bhardwaj

When i installed your ROM , i am not able to find option to permanently disable back-light..however we have this option when using daskalos's rom's

Any fix for this ?

edit

got solution in another thread

Open any registry editor, go to path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\ amd change Value 'HideSettings' to '0' (credits to rodrigofd)

Edited by talktoanil

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bhavesh Shah

aaare i m still confused i had flashed HTC devies til know so now very much confused in using Octans i browsed eboot, phone, n sumit modified "JC2_SumitBhardwaj" den wat to do i m not able to under stand please explain me i wil be very thank full to u people plz

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj
aaare i m still confused i had flashed HTC devies til know so now very much confused in using Octans i browsed eboot, phone, n sumit modified "JC2_SumitBhardwaj" den wat to do i m not able to under stand please explain me i wil be very thank full to u people plz

First of all, do one thing. In Windows Explorer/My Computer, go to Tools>Options (In vista/win 7 you will have to press alt key to display the menus). On the View tab, uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types". Press OK twice to get out of it. This will enable showing of file extensions. It will ensure that there is no confusion in files.

Now, set octans in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode. Right click on the Octans executable and click properties. Go to the Compatibility tab and in the dropdown choose Windows XP Service pack 2. Click OK.

Disconnect your phone if its connected to USB cable. Start Octans, select Eboot.eb0, Phone.bin and JC2_SumitBhardwaj.nb0 in Eboot, Phone and PDA sections respectively. Click Detect.

Power off completely and then plug-in your phone to USB cable. The lower pane in octans will show a USB change event with some weird code and then the Start Downloading button will get enabled. That's it, press it and flashing will start. If the USB change even doesn't happens, try connecting to a different USB port on your computer.

Cheers! :rolleyes:

Guest Princeagarwal

Hey sumit,

first of al thnx fr al da work ur doing, its nice to c a chef frm india

bro am frm gzbd, i wud lyk to talk to bout some tweaking and applications related to our b7610, though am gud at computers bt stil am new to winmo, bt i am learning fast, i hope u can add me at gmail at [email protected]

after u add me pls send me a mail

thnk u

• 1 month later...
Guest imblfmstr

@Sumit

Great buddy!!!

As usual you are too good in explanation....

Once you rocked HTC gene forum...than helped me to rock a little the OPAL forum...

Now on to Samsung...just waiting for your Kitchen buddy....

Have a good time

Edited by imblfmstr

• 2 weeks later...
Guest devilatwork

hey Bro.!

Really Great to see Indian Chef.. :)

could you please help me... m stuck wid my octans..

i changed the compability to xp sp2 and the octans also showed some weird code.. but my download button never became active..tried it using all the ports on my pc.. :D

any ideas.?

• 2 months later...
Guest prajith

flashed successfully using this guide.

i would recommend that you put the steps to using octans as well cause the first time samsung users like me have to search quite a bit to get that working.

• 2 months later...
Guest FiredFox

I can't find the right CSC or PDA to use with my Indian version of B7610. I am using Daskalos ROM but the physical keyboard has several keys that don't work right, ex. the comma key does not produce a comma and several shift symbols produce wrong results. Other than that everything works fine. Can someone point me to the right and latest version of PDA/CSC etc. that I can use with the Indian B7610 and Dakalos 23151 Megalite ROM?

Details are as follows:

CE OS: 5.2.23151 Build 23151.5.3.12

PDA B7610DDJE2

CSC B7610NXEEJC2

Phone B7610XXJC1

• 8 months later...
Guest tejas.dabadghav

Hi Sumit..

I am from India too. And I just got my b7610.

I read a lot about flashing the phone to WM6.5.

And I tried it with the version of ROM you have given in your post.

I am using Octans mini for flashing. And the ROM you prefered had .nb0 file only. so i tried flashing with it. And it started fine but the procedure got stuck after finishing it 2%.

And now my phone is not working.. So currently I have given it to Samsung care..

will you please guide me on how to flash the phone in good way..

Please tell me all the steps for flashing as i am newby...

Thamk you