19/May - Superboot - rooting the Pulse Mini

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul
Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when launched, will root your device the first time you boot it (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to use ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just launch the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Superboot (tested with U8110V100R001C85B214SP05 and U8110V100R001C85B214SP06) - DOWNLOAD (MediaFire Pro) - MD5: d92360bfc6a98b03ad6d325a134bfe1b

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then press and hold the 'volume down' and 'end' (red) buttons followed by the power button
- WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'
- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'
- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

That's it, job done! Enjoy! ;)

P

Guest xrrkrrkx

ok, im stuck.... cant seem to get the mini into bootloader mode, when i do as instructed above, it just hangs forever on the T Mobile screen,,,,

Guest jayjayuk

can i ask a newb question here as the mini is my first android phone, what does rooting do to the phone ? and what will it let me do once its done

Guest Paul
ok, im stuck.... cant seem to get the mini into bootloader mode, when i do as instructed above, it just hangs forever on the T Mobile screen,,,,

That is bootloader mode. :)

P

Guest xrrkrrkx
That is bootloader mode. :)

P

hahah, ooooK, guess im used to my HTC's

but when i run the superboot then, it just continuously says waiting for devices...

Edited by xrrkrrkx

Guest xrrkrrkx

same thing on ubuntu.... hmm, how can a crazy easy cheap ol thing like this phone give me trouble when i used your root r1 for the desire with no problems......? i used 2 computers to do that method and it worked like a charm... grrr never again will i buy a cheap phone for "fun"

FYI, just so people dont get confused, there is no word "install" before any of the files or comands given above in the instructions...

EDIT:

LOVELY, got it to work, had to install drivers that were missing as Paul stated above, worked like a charm after i install the pc suite software (was trying to avoid that)

Edited by xrrkrrkx

Guest chrish2009

i having some problems downloading the file, one site is only downloading 0kb of the file. and the other has no online servers with the file on? :/

or is it my laptop or internet. dont think so though

^^^^ scrap that, downloaded now^^^^

i think just a prob with my internet at time

chris

Edited by chrish2009

• 3 weeks later...
Guest alyeo82
same thing on ubuntu.... hmm, how can a crazy easy cheap ol thing like this phone give me trouble when i used your root r1 for the desire with no problems......? i used 2 computers to do that method and it worked like a charm... grrr never again will i buy a cheap phone for "fun"

FYI, just so people dont get confused, there is no word "install" before any of the files or comands given above in the instructions...

EDIT:

LOVELY, got it to work, had to install drivers that were missing as Paul stated above, worked like a charm after i install the pc suite software (was trying to avoid that)

I'm also running Ubuntu but I haven't tried this yet. I'm heartened by xrrkrrkx getting it to work. One question, I think I need the drivers to get this running and I can't find any for linux. xrrkrrkx you say you installed PC suite, was this on Ubuntu?

I assume I need the drivers because if I run ./adb list devices in terminal nothing is showing up.

Please help, I really want to root my phone but I don't want to try it until I'm fairly sure it'll work

Guest thfc5975

Have managed to get this done now, but for the life of me cannot and I mean cannot get any other ROM to work apart from the stock UK T-Mob one.

Guest alyeo82

Well I couldn't help myself, I had a go at this. I have exactly the same issue described by xrrkrrkx it hangs at <waiting for device> - as I suspected I think I need drivers to make this work. Anybody know if there are linux drivers available and where to find them? I'm running Ubuntu with medibuntu repository enabled but the hardware drivers scan can't locate anything suitable.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

A.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bored Badger

Thanks Paul,

Worked great but I've found that the superuser app that you've included is a big buggy. It doesn't work with all apps and often freezes on me. :)

Reflashed again and superuser seems to be fine.

Edited by Bored Badger

Guest puzzlebs

Hi Guys,

I have the intention to buy a pulse mini for 100£ and play with it waiting for some breakthrough mobile (e.g. wildfire). I would like to know if by doing the superboot and flashing it I will be able to use the phone with any other SIM card than t mobile...

Cheers

P.

Guest duryard
Hi Guys,

I have the intention to buy a pulse mini for 100£ and play with it waiting for some breakthrough mobile (e.g. wildfire). I would like to know if by doing the superboot and flashing it I will be able to use the phone with any other SIM card than t mobile...

Cheers

P.

I Have rooted mine. (Super user) using a thread on this site. The hard part was getting it into boot loader mode, you need to perserver on that but it will take a few trys.

Mine is unlocked. I use it on Vodaphone. I did not unlock it but I think there are unlockers around that charge about £15

I have not found any other roms to flash it to yet

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to all this rooting stuff. I don't know if this worked or not. If I do su in the terminal I just see Su Request at the top of the screen and nothing happens. If I press menu I get "Sorry! Activity SU Request (In application Superuser Permissions) is not responding."

Another thing. Someone mentioned in another post that Paul stopped work on the Pulse Mini. Is this correct?

Edited by insx

I also tried Barnacle WiFi Tether (which would be very handy). Starting the app also results in the "SU Request" hang. I assume I'm not rooted.

Edited by insx

Guest pz8l8t
I also tried Barnacle WiFi Tether (which would be very handy). Starting the app also results in the "SU Request" hang. I assume I'm not rooted.

try putting the phone in usb debugging mode. settings->application->development and tick usb debugging. then at the su request hit always allow.

let me know how you get on with barnacle as i have having issues with it on my pulse mini (see thread barnacle wifi problems). if you manage to get it working fine, please report back and let me know on which network (i'm on tmobile).

try putting the phone in usb debugging mode. settings->application->development and tick usb debugging. then at the su request hit always allow.

let me know how you get on with barnacle as i have having issues with it on my pulse mini (see thread barnacle wifi problems). if you manage to get it working fine, please report back and let me know on which network (i'm on tmobile).

You lovely man! It seems USB debugging mode allowed the superuser app to do its thing.

Here's what happened with Barnacle. (I'm on O2).

Tried to open www.google.co.uk on my daughter's Win 7 netbook (with firefox). Barnacle said "Unexpected error occurred! Inspect the log and try the troubleshooting guide".

Couldn't see anything useful in the log.

Started Barnacle again, tried to open google.co.uk again, same error.

Started Barnacle again, pinged google.co.uk successfully

Opened www.google.co.uk with firefox successfully

Searched for "test" and opened a couple of results successfully

Opened youtube.com successfully and managed to watch a video (at least a couple of seconds, connection was very slow).

No sign of the connection breaking. Strange!

Guest pz8l8t
You lovely man! It seems USB debugging mode allowed the superuser app to do its thing.

Here's what happened with Barnacle. (I'm on O2).

Tried to open www.google.co.uk on my daughter's Win 7 netbook (with firefox). Barnacle said "Unexpected error occurred! Inspect the log and try the troubleshooting guide".

Couldn't see anything useful in the log.

Started Barnacle again, tried to open google.co.uk again, same error.

Started Barnacle again, pinged google.co.uk successfully

Opened www.google.co.uk with firefox successfully

Searched for "test" and opened a couple of results successfully

Opened youtube.com successfully and managed to watch a video (at least a couple of seconds, connection was very slow).

No sign of the connection breaking. Strange!

That's good to hear that you've finally got it working. On mine I can access google all day without any problems, however other sites like youtube, skyports, ebay I keep getting the "Unexpected error occurred! Inspect the log and try the troubleshooting guide" and in the log itself, "NAT exited: message to long". Not sure if it's the phone or the network. Keep me posted on how reliable your connection is.

Guest dt_matthews

can this be reversed / uninstalled - I seem to have a problem with accessing the phone's memory card via usb since installing this!

Guest insx
can this be reversed / uninstalled - I seem to have a problem with accessing the phone's memory card via usb since installing this!

That's interesting. I can't access mine either but I assumed I was doing something wrong as I'd never tried it before rooting the phone. I gave up and used a card reader.