Android 2.2 Development

Guest eckengucker1

Guest Bakes
So, if you have a kernel source, we basicly only have to port the drivers no?

And as far as i know, this has been done A LOT for some more "mainstream" andorids...

btw, here http://forum.huawei.com/jive4/thread.jspa?...&orderStr=9

is some source for the grabs....

i'm gonna have a look at it now....

HTC phones are different. HTC made the Android Dev Phones 1 and 2. This means that the drivers and suchlike are all available for these devices as sources, which makes it a lot easier to port them.

To give a car analogy, the drivers on an HTC phone are like being asked to fit the turbo of a Mercedes to a BMW. Sure, they aren't the same model, but ghetto mod it a bit, saw off a few bits and you'll get it to fit and work. The drivers on the Pulse, on the other hand are like being asked to make a turbo from scratch, with only a howstuffworks.com description to tell you how it's supposed to work.

Edited by Bakes

Guest DanWilson
I don't sleep, I just rest my eyes :rolleyes:

I dont even understand how that means that you can post posts that are in the future!

And thats heavily cryptic. (I know what it means now :D )

Guest eckengucker1

It seems we have to wait till Google release the 2.2 source. Meanwhile everyone can learn how to hack kernels :rolleyes:

BTW: It seems Huawei has changed only a few things respective the kernel config. I compared both and the they have added a line what maybe causes the vibration-failure.

Both files attached...

myandroid.tar.gz

Edited by eckengucker1

Guest mr.a

i managed to install adobe flash player 10.1 on my pulse but i can not use the application in anyway. i can see the application in the installed applications list but not in the launcher. (btw i think this apk was meant for the nexus one) i will attach the apk here if it helps.

what i did was i changed the "ro.build.version.sdk=7" in build.prop to "ro.build.version.sdk=8" and then installed the application via file manager

EDIT: I am using BB and Pauls 2.1 rom r6 a2sd+ with launcherpro beta :rolleyes:

Adobe_Flash_Player_10.1.rar

Edited by mr.a

Guest feelmychi
i managed to install adobe flash player 10.1 on my pulse but i can not use the application in anyway. i can see the application in the installed applications list but not in the launcher. (btw i think this apk was meant for the nexus one) i will attach the apk here if it helps.

what i did was i changed the "ro.build.version.sdk=7" in build.prop to "ro.build.version.sdk=8" and then installed the application via file manager

EDIT: I am using BB and Pauls 2.1 rom r6 a2sd+ with launcherpro beta :rolleyes:

so does your Pulse actually have any flash functionality?

feelmychi

Guest mr.a
so does your Pulse actually have any flash functionality?

feelmychi

i don't think so, but it installed fine without any errors. or does this actually need some of the 2.2 API's ???

yh i just went on the browser and it doesn't seem to be working :rolleyes:

Guest hungary
i don't think so, but it installed fine without any errors. or does this actually need some of the 2.2 API's ???

yh i just went on the browser and it doesn't seem to be working :rolleyes:

Thats need the new browser. You need try the 2.2 Browser.apk from N1.

Guest DanWilson
BigBear: You need to mix the N1 rom and the emu 2.2 rom. Look at XDA, G1 and Hero have working 2.2 roms :rolleyes:

But the G1 and Hero are HTC, and they have all they need - drivers, source, piles of devs, fully open devices etc.

I hope that I'm wrong though and it works first time :D

Guest BigBearMDC
BigBear: You need to mix the N1 rom and the emu 2.2 rom. Look at XDA, G1 and Hero have working 2.2 roms :rolleyes:

I don't really think that this would work to be honest...

Already tried the emulator image, which is a generic build, so it should work on any HW I think.

The problem is that Android doesn't throw out any errors, it just hangs on "invalid lcd line count" (or something similar).

The G1, Nexus one etc. are all google dev phones, and generic builds should already work on the without problems.

Well, the Pulse isn't, so the chance of getting this working is *slightly* smaller.

Guest Bakes
/// We are using github now, URL changed

I thought about suggesting Github in the first place, I find it much easier to use than Merc.

Guest phildrip

I'm having trouble compiling:

net/built-in.o: In function `wiphy_rfkill_start_polling':

/home/phil/kernels/Phoenix-Kernel/net/wireless/core.c:509: undefined reference to `rfkill_resume_polling'

make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

The compile gets very close to the end, it seems it's only when linking the final binary that it falls over.

I've tried with gcc 4.2.1, 4.3.1 and 4.4.0 (all the prebuilt compilers in the android sdk).

Anyone seen this?

Cheers.

Guest phildrip
I'm having trouble compiling:

net/built-in.o: In function `wiphy_rfkill_start_polling':

/home/phil/kernels/Phoenix-Kernel/net/wireless/core.c:509: undefined reference to `rfkill_resume_polling'

make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

The compile gets very close to the end, it seems it's only when linking the final binary that it falls over.

I've tried with gcc 4.2.1, 4.3.1 and 4.4.0 (all the prebuilt compilers in the android sdk).

Anyone seen this?

Cheers.

Fixed by enabling 'CONFIG_RFKILL_PM'.

Guest phildrip
New Wiki online!

http://wiki.github.com/BigBearMDC/Phoenix-Kernel/

(Thanks to David Dawkins :rolleyes: )

Best regards,

BigBear

Great stuff. Right now I'm trying to display kernel messages (printk) so we can see what the kernel is doing. We'll need this for when we start to move drivers over to a newer kernel.

I gave up with a USB serial console (though I think that could work) and instead switched to getting the kernel displaying its messages on the screen in the same way eg slackware would on a PC. I've got as far as the penguin logo displaying, but no text!

Small steps...

Edited by phildrip

Guest BigBearMDC
Great stuff. Right now I'm trying to display kernel messages (printk) so we can see what the kernel is doing. We'll need this for when we start to move drivers over to a newer kernel.

I gave up with a USB serial console (though I think that could work) and instead switched to getting the kernel displaying its messages on the screen in the same way eg slackware would on a PC. I've got as far as the penguin logo displaying, but no text!

Small steps...

Wow, how did you do this?

Guest phildrip
Wow, how did you do this?

Sorry, should've made it clear. I'm still working on the 2.6.27 kernel - once I get kernel message on that, we'll know how to do the same on the 2.6.32.

Guest eckengucker1
Sorry, should've made it clear. I'm still working on the 2.6.27 kernel - once I get kernel message on that, we'll know how to do the same on the 2.6.32.

N1 dude!

Guest phildrip

Right, got kernel messages on the screen. This is good.

It's damn slow, tho!

I'll figure out exactly what I needed (minimum steps) to change shortly, although it may have to be tomorrow now.

Edited by phildrip

Guest feelmychi
Right, got kernel messages on the screen. This is good.

It's damn slow, tho!

I'll figure out exactly what I needed (minimum steps) to change shortly, although it may have to be tomorrow now.

wahay! Good luck :rolleyes:

feelmychi