21/May r1.1 - MoDaCo Custom Kernel (MCK) for HTC Desire

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest StuMcBill
when you download "r4-desire-root" you get a rom named rootupdate, im using that

Well you are not using a MCR, you will need to download one from the kitchen thread, either a pre-baked one, or bake your own.

Guest domaboul
I'm intersted in knowing what this has done to people's battery life, I understand Paul suggested this would reduce it? How have people found the difference?

Does the OCUV kernel increase or reduce battery life?

This is a significant issue over here as I do sometimes find myself with no easy way of charging my phone from one day to the next!

If OCUV will increase the battery life then I too would be very keen to see these combined.

Lastly thanks again for the tireless work you put in Paul! I'll be upgrading my membership when some money *finally* arrives in my bank account!

From 00:10 to 10:00 this morning : lost 4% battery (sceen off, i was sleeping ;-)

with wifi and 3g on

no taskkiller, or special things.

Battery are OK for me.

Edited by domaboul

Guest jullejul
At a guess, you're not flashing on a MCR ROM.

P

ok i flashed the r22 now and it install good, but it hangup on the start. its a white screen with green letters "HTC"

Guest Moonman123
ok i flashed the r22 now and it install good, but it hangup on the start. its a white screen with green letters "HTC"

Because that's the wrong rom. That's a port of the Desire rom for the Nexus One.

You need the one from http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...online-kitchen/

You really need to be careful with what you are flashing.

Edited by Moonman123

Guest ciairo

Paul,

are you considering some fix in the kernel boot routines in order to avoid the infamous usb bricking after 3 bootloops?

Btw thanks for all your work!

Guest craigcrawford1988
WTF??? LOL?!??!!? xD I have flash wrong ROM 20 times xd

And you will brick your phone if you aren't careful. Ask before doing next time if you aren't sure.

Guest munemune
And you will brick your phone if you aren't careful. Ask before doing next time if you aren't sure.

still no Wireless Tether…… :rolleyes:

Edited by munemune

Guest jullejul

Ok xd. How do i know the update work?

Guest nicandris
i add one more question, with this MCK flashed on my phone can i use SetCpu for underclock?

underclocking the kernel for some reason (i always overclock) isnt actually that benefitial to battery life! sorry for beeing a smart ass but reducing the voltage actually forcess the antenna to work harder so it consumes more battery. this causes less battery hours.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=672144

Guest ourfear
From 00:10 to 10:00 this morning : lost 4% battery (sceen off, i was sleeping ;-)

with wifi and 3g on

no taskkiller, or special things.

Battery are OK for me.

hm, that's really good, do you use the MCR r3 and the MCK 1.1 only? or with the OCUV tweaks?

I use MCR r3, from 0:00 to 11:30 this morning, lost 10% battery (screen off, i was sleeping too)

with gsm edge on, and google sync open(contacts/calendar/gmail)

also , I noticed, in the R3 origin rom, there is bcm4329.ko in \system\lib\modules\

and R1.1 have 44 files total 24MB in \system\lib\modules\

Edited by ourfear

Guest the-fallen

Thank you for all your work, Paul.

I really like it that you put so much time into stuff like that.

But I think it would be good if you can post the .config file for that kernel (and later ones, too).

Even if a lot of users do not care about that, some others like to know what's the difference.

This could also help them help others if some errors occur.

Guest domaboul
hm, that's really good, do you use the MCR r3 and the MCK 1.1 only? or with the OCUV tweaks?

I use MCR r3, from 0:00 to 11:30 this morning, lost 10% battery (screen off, i was sleeping too)

with gsm edge on, and google sync open(contacts/calendar/gmail)

also , I noticed, in the R3 origin rom, there is bcm4329.ko in \system\lib\modules\

and R1.1 have 44 files total 24MB in \system\lib\modules\

yep,

just MCR r3 and MCK 1.1 only. nothing else.

Guest ourfear
yep,

just MCR r3 and MCK 1.1 only. nothing else.

thx, i just flashed MCK 1.1 to my MCR r3, works fine...

lol, i cross finger when i flashing the rom file... really afraid to getting usb bricked.

Guest afiorillo
has anyone try to disable the 3 bootloop to debug mode stuff? so we can flash without the possibility to loose USB? [...]

That stuff doesn't exists, there's no "three-boot-loop-to-death" thing. :rolleyes:

Guest Drefsab
That stuff doesn't exists, there's no "three-boot-loop-to-death" thing. :rolleyes:

I think he's more referring to the USB issue that is bricking some desires, it's been suggested that adding nohup options on the recovery commands can help prevent this though I've not seen any confirmation.

Guest afiorillo
I think he's more referring to the USB issue that is bricking some desires, it's been suggested that adding nohup options on the recovery commands can help prevent this though I've not seen any confirmation.

I know that well, and I confirm that: the "three-boot" theory was not confirmed by many users' experience, myself included. Same thing for the 'nohup' addition: it doesn't prevents the issue.

Guest ourfear

hmm, after applied mck r1.1, yesterday i opened AndChat and join #modaco, then i leave phone on desktop for about 20 minutes.

then i want to read the channel logs, but i found i can't wakeup my desire via the power button.... i plug out battery...and all works fine after reboot

but i really dont know , is it a bug of AndChat, or MCK 1.1

Guest Pyr0x64
Note: This kernel is now included by default in MCR r3.1!

Any chance of getting an updated kernel (2.6.33/34) please Paul?

Guest the-fallen

It is a geat pity that Paul does not publish the changes of the MCK, but for those who want to know I added a link to a pastebin with a DIFF output between the original boot.img taken from the MCR r3 and the MCK 1.1

Paul, I really respect your work but please deliberate about adding some kind of detailed changelog for such thinks like the Kernel (and your ROM, too if possible).

How ever, thanks for all your work.

Oh yes... the link

Guest sun-drop

so what improvments does this MCK offer over the orig desire kernal?

speed? better battery life?

i'm using pauls R1 custom rom ... so yeah quite happy with it, just wondering if its worth the upgrade