USB brick/rickrolled/b0rked -> FIXED!

Guest IEFtm

Guest Snarkasm

This is entirely the wrong order.

5. Opened ConnectBot and did "su" then "chmod 755 /data/flash_image" then "cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image" and finally "cat /sdcard/mtd0.img > /data/mtd0.img".

su

cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data

cat /sdcard/mtd0.img > /data

chmod 755 /data/flash_image

/data/flash_image misc /data/mtd0.img

Guest Joseph Baldwin Roberts

Thanks Cedeel and Snarkasm.

I didn't realise "/data/flash_image misc /data/mtd0.img" was a command

Sorted now, thanks again

Guest nicjo814

Hi,

I would like to pull the mtd0 data from my unflashed/unrooted device before starting the whole process of applying new ROMs and have some questions regarding the rooting process (r5).

1) My first question is what is actually achieved by running the step1.bat batch file? I've looked at the script and see that a zip file is flashed to the device, but what is accomplished by this?

2) Will I actually have root access (permanent/non-permanent) after finishing this step (step1)?

3) To me it looks like I should be able to connect with adb directly after entering recovery when the fastboot commands in step1 are finished. Will I have root access at this point so that I can su on the device?

4) What happens if I don't finish the complete guide, but instead reboot the device after step1?

I'd really like to understand more regarding the whole rooting process and the steps involved (yes I've read the r5 guide which is very good if you just want to root/flash your device but I'm looking for more info :-) ). If anyone could provide me with a link where I could get some more detailed information it would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Guest Snarkasm

1) By running step 1, you flash a test ROM to the device that has root permissions.

2) You will have root; it's permanent if you don't flash back a non-rooted ROM...

3) Sounds right. You'll have to enter the recovery menu to be able to get to adb, though - and you'll have to open a new cmd prompt and reuse adb-windows or what have you so you don't kill the other adb server.

4) If you reboot after step 1, you'll just have a plain test ROM with root. Nothing special, but you will be able to use root functions.

Guest AsayWat

I would suggest doing the chmod after the cat copy command.

This would ensure the correct permissions are present as they could be overwritten by the cat command coming from a mounted fat32 partition.

Guest yonisan

Best invetment I made to an online forum :(

Thank you for working so hard figuring out this complicated issue.

My Desire is once again fully functional AND rooted... yessssssssss!!!!!!

Guest aliendog

Hi guys

Have rooted phone, but have no USB access. What command can I use in a terminal window on the phone to get the CID?

thanks,

AD

Guest Snarkasm

If you reboot to fastboot mode (power down, hold back button, hit power), you should have USB access that way; connect to the computer and, when the phone gets recognized, run "fastboot oem boot" from a command prompt on your computer.

Unless, of course, you're saying you don't have physical USB access or something. In that case, I don't know of any way to view the CID from within the phone OS or anything.

Guest aliendog

When I say no USB access, I mean NO USB access :( No matter what state the phone is in (Fastboot, HBOOT, recovery) I get a "USB Device not recognized" when I plug it in and it is not recognized under Linux. This all happened during a couple of rooting/flashing attempts, but the funny thing is that the phone still works as it is supposed to(original image/Hard reset), except that I can not connect via USB.

Is there somewhere in the settings menu I could read off the CID or somewhere else?

Edited by aliendog

Guest AsayWat
When I say no USB access, I mean NO USB access :( No matter what state the phone is in (Fastboot, HBOOT, recovery) I get a "USB Device not recognized" when I plug it in and it is not recognized under Linux. This all happened during a couple of rooting/flashing attempts, but the funny thing is that the phone still works as it is supposed to(original image/Hard reset), except that I can not connect via USB.

Is there somewhere in the settings menu I could read off the CID or somewhere else?

Have you looked at your misc partition?

Guest aliendog

Is it possible to somehow unroot the phone using HBOOT and just zip the contents of a RUU file?

Just to add; the reason I am asking the above is that this is starting to look more and more like a hardware issue

Edited by aliendog

Guest Biliskner
Is it possible to somehow unroot the phone using HBOOT and just zip the contents of a RUU file?

Just to add; the reason I am asking the above is that this is starting to look more and more like a hardware issue

You can only flash a ROM that's signed by HTC via the HBOOT / PBxxxxx.IMG way. You cannot flash a custom ROM or anything else via HBOOT.

So what you're saying is your plug your usb cable in, type "fastboot oem boot" in a linux terminal and get no devices found? Strange... different problem?

Guest kubino

I suggest to flash mtd0.img as is... I made few tests and there is no needed to have correct CID to get working USB.

Guest aliendog
You can only flash a ROM that's signed by HTC via the HBOOT / PBxxxxx.IMG way. You cannot flash a custom ROM or anything else via HBOOT.

So what you're saying is your plug your usb cable in, type "fastboot oem boot" in a linux terminal and get no devices found? Strange... different problem?

No. What I am saying is that I am unable to connect to the phone via USB. If you boot your phone into Fastboot-mode, it will say Fastboot. This will change to FASTBOOT USB when you plug in the USB cable and you can then send fastboot commands. As stated above, I have NO connection at all via USB. No matter what OS I use or phone state (fastboot, HBOOT, recovery), the USB connection is dead. The phone charges, but thats it.

Now, a funny thing has happened, as I have been playing around with this. The phone was indeed rooted, as I was able to flash the misc.img that belonged to my phone (But this made no difference) After this I tried renaming a file that was cooked in the kitchen here to PB99IMG.zip and put it on the sdcard. Phone read the file and let me apply updates, so now I am on hboot 0.80 (was on 0.75) and no longer 1.15 rom, but 1.21. For some reason I no longer have root access (possibly because the file was updated via hboot?) and the USB problem is still the same. Other than that the phone works as it is supposed to. Gonna go out now and see if I can find a store that will let me try a couple more micro-USB cables, just to rule that out definitively, but this is looking more and more like a hardware problem on my end and that means I will have to ship the phone back for a replacement. Let's just hope they don't make a fuss about the new hboot/rom-version, as I don't think any Desires sold where I live have these versions....

Guest aliendog

Well, it looks like I have no less than 3 defective micro-USB cables @ home :( I actually had to laugh when I tried a new cable at a store and it connected without any problems. So much for the hours spent reading and trying new solutions. At least I am smarter now than I was yesterday :(

Guest ace55

being a bit of a noob how do i get my cid ,have tried sdk but to no avail,is there a walkthrough,,,thanks

sorted now ...thanks

Edited by ace55

Guest italo88

when I try to give the commands: SDCard / flash_image, sdcard/mtd0.img gives me permission denied.: (My desire is not root .. How can I do?

Guest italo88

Nome

Si prega di root del dispositivo prima con la Fase 1 di questo thread:

I then stuck the USB problems do not have access to recovery to make the update. zip .. I can not do the root ..

Guest tianqi

Sorry but which rom version from the 1.21.xxx.x ROM series is r3.1? I need it to help with my usb brick.... - the CID generator way... please help