Paul's Streak thoughts dump... got questions? Ask here!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest rovex
Linpack is coming in about 4.2...

P

Thats quite low, the desire is about 7, maybe 8 with an overclock kernel. I guess its due to the old android.

Guest irenic

omg really cant wait for this..

wish i can ask any of u guys favour to buy one and ship to my country! :(

Paul, eventhough i really hope u will have more time for N1 development, i still wanna u spend more time with the Streak and share them with us! :(

Guest Orrwil

Need to know if the camera is up to much? I moved to an iPhone (was best phone available at time) from N95 and really miss a quality camera. Been wanting to try android for ages and now there's one with 5" screen (another iPhone -ve) I'm so tempted to splash the cash. Froyo on Streak would also be major incentive :)

Guest DoctaJay
Interesting secret screen on the Streak...

P

streaksecretsettings.png

Is it that easy to get it to switch the AT&T US 3g bands? If so that would be awesome.

Guest attn1
Interesting secret screen on the Streak...

P

streaksecretsettings.png

that is friggin' awesome! Looks like It would work on AT&T 3g frequencies. Finally, it looks as if we may have some 3g portability with most other countries!

Guest een625

Hi Paul,

Hows typing speed compared to the n1?

For me typing on the n1 is a chore, and i actually type best on a big screen.

Am using x10 atm as thats the biggest screen gsm android at the moment, thinking og getting the streak as i type a lot

And hows multitouch on it?

Cheers

Guest Loknet

Hello and congrats on rooting the Streak!

For some odd reason this device seems to draw a good bit of bashing and I'm not sure why. The hardware specs look fairly solid and the extra screen real estate holds potential... but if I had a nickel for every time I've read "Too big to be a phone, too small to be a tablet" from posters that don't even have one in their possession... heh

Since I'm in the US it will be a while before I can get a hands on with this puppy and I'm curious about your impressions.

How does the streak perform in these categories compared to large screen phones (not tablets!!)?

1) Web browsing experience

2) Media player (would you watch a movie on it while travelling?)

3) E-book reader

4) car nav system

5) gaming potential

If the Streak does well, then I imagine the size issue could be offset by adequately filling many roles all in one device since it has phone capability. If it offers no tangible advantages, then I will happily give in to the siren song of the Evo and pick up a tablet at a later date. :)

Guest Paul

I have made a call on it and yes, it's quite big, but not unusably so. Besides, you can always plug in a headset or use a BT one if you plan an extended call!

Everything you list above is only gonna be improved by the big screen! :)

P

Guest griff_dai
I have made a call on it and yes, it's quite big, but not unusably so. Besides, you can always plug in a headset or use a BT one if you plan an extended call!

P

This may be a bit early, but what is the battery life like?

Dai

Guest firedup

Hi Paul

Loving my Streak but one thing is really annoying me compared to my Desire. Even though Ive set the browser agent in about:debug to desktop, some sites such as paypal.co.uk still load the mobile version whereas the desire will load the full site.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Guest Loknet

P

Alrighty then I will just have to refrain from setting foot in a Sprint dealer and making an impulse buy. Dell has done a piss poor job marketing this device, I can't even count the # of reviews that listed it as having only 256 mb of ram (that alone would have been a nonstarter for me)! I will keep checking in for your updates on rooting tweaks and how the streak fairs as an everyday use device.

Edited by Loknet

Guest jlgreg
Alrighty then I will just have to refrain from setting foot in a Sprint dealer and making an impulse buy. Dell has done a piss poor job marketing this device, I can't even count the # of reviews that listed it as having only 256 mb of ram (that alone would have been a nonstarter for me)! I will keep checking in for your updates on rooting tweaks and how the streak fairs as an everyday use device.

JKKMobile website has got a 24 minute "First Impressions" review if your interested.

Guest jonny G

i am getting more impressed with my Streak the more i use it... Yesterday was the first full day i used mine in normal circs and even though i forgot to switch the WIFI off it was still at 27% at the end of the day and was amazingly at 12% the next morning.

Cant wait for Paul to release the Root and then update hopefully to Froyo or at least 2.0

Guest pug11111

hey all got this yesterday and its fantastic i dont suppose you know where i can a dock for my house also a cradle for the car and a decent case thanks a lot

Guest Paul
How does the battery time seem? Draining fast?

More pictures of the unit would be nice as well. :)

Seems at least on par with my Nexus One - maybe slightly better - so far...

P

Guest Flavio

How easy or difficult would it be to unlock the Streak by software once it is rooted?

Are there other Android devices that can be used as a comparison with regard to software unlocking?

Guest courtlandre

Does anyone know how to change the brightness to lower than the lowest stock setting? I have my brightness set all the way down and its still a million times brighter than what I'd like it to be (for reading books at night in the dark for example). Thanks!

Guest Namuna

Paul, a picture request for you...

My personal criteria for the "best" size smartphone/tablet (smarblet? :)) is one that has the biggest screen possible and still fit in my shirt pocket.

So, does the Streak fit in a shirt pocket?...If so, any chance you could snap a pic and post it?

Cheers!