Paul's Streak thoughts dump... got questions? Ask here!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest courtlandre
Paul, a picture request for you...

My personal criteria for the "best" size smartphone/tablet (smarblet? :)) is one that has the biggest screen possible and still fit in my shirt pocket.

So, does the Streak fit in a shirt pocket?...If so, any chance you could snap a pic and post it?

Cheers!

Check out this Youtube video, the guy puts it in his shirt pocket a few times.

Guest giryan

How do you find text editing/typo correction on it Paul?

I've got quite used to having a track ball to move the cursor around, and without something like that iOS's magnifying glass it's going to be tricky to position the cursor.

(I did notice left and right buttons in landscape, but then didn't seem to be there in portrait.)

Guest Ash_786
Would this be worth getting over my nexus one?

Theres only one person that can answer that question .......

oh, thats you btw !!! :-)

Guest streak dan

Hey Paul and everyone else!

Been looking at the streak for a few days and had a play at the o2 store, my old 3G iPhone is looking very small and slow at the moment! Was just looking into the whole rooting business and stumbled across this site and the infamous Paul and thought i'd say hi and thanks for the great work you've done with android! Just looking through a few posts and tutorials over the last few hours and i've amassed a massive amount of info already which will definitely come in use over the next few weeks!

Will be purchasing my streak in the next few days (an old friend at 02 suggested i wait for a few days as the price may be likely to drop since the introduction of the new iPhone) I'm sure i'll be spending a few more hours here over the coming weeks but in the mean time keep up the good work guys!

Dan

Guest Ash_786

Anyone got any thoughts on when Dell is going to implement Video calling using the Front Facing camera ? I mean standard video calling as you would with a nokia E71 opposed to Skype

Guest satanix

Hi guys. I'm really interested in getting one of these babies.

I think it has a great form factor. Large screen but not too big of a unit. + it's an android device! :)

One question though, have you tried pairing a bluetooth keyboard to the streak? I know from experience that the G1 did not work very well with my Stowaway Bluetooth Keyboard.

Thanks in advance for any input.

cheers

Guest toxxico

@paul you mentioned there was fm radio folder but guys at engadget doubt if there is even hardware for the radio. could you please confirm if there is radio capability on this phone like the desire. it would be a big disappointment for me if it didnt since i listen to radio 4 on my desire on the way to and from work 2 hours a day.

Guest Brantyr
Anyone got any thoughts on when Dell is going to implement Video calling using the Front Facing camera ? I mean standard video calling as you would with a nokia E71 opposed to Skype

Unfortunately it looks like there's no proper support for multiple cameras in the android SDK as of version 2.1!!! Don't know if it was added in 2.2, at this stage I'm leaning towards no... This means any developers who want to use the front facing camera on an android device will need different, proprietary code for the Evo, Streak and any other device implementing a front facing camera at the moment. I'm sure we'll still see the well known apps like Fring support them but it's a very disappointing oversight of the android team at the moment.

Guest bewA

I'll be very interested to see how it is when 2.2 comes out for it?

A friend of mine at work has one and i've had a quick play and it doesnt seem to bad :)

I like the size of the screen though and did some browsing! definately needs some Android 2.2 though and not 1.6 :)

Guest frenzyy

2Q

1.you mentioned its plastic constructed but i read in some places its most metal on the surface and inside

so is the rest of the phone metal except screen ofcourse and above and below the screen, im interested in the carbon mate black finish

built quality is very important for me and please mention any problems with it.

2. What happens with the icons on the homescreen if i preffer to use it in portrait mode

is it adapted for portrait mode?

Guest knightpants

Don't mean to be funny man, but going to youtube or reading any of the reviews online would answer these questions. Even better, go in to an o2 store and you can play with the device itself, most of them have them for demo at the moment.

The build is very solid though, doesn't feel weak in any areas.

Guest courtlandre
2Q

1.you mentioned its plastic constructed but i read in some places its most metal on the surface and inside

so is the rest of the phone metal except screen ofcourse and above and below the screen, im interested in the carbon mate black finish

built quality is very important for me and please mention any problems with it.

2. What happens with the icons on the homescreen if i preffer to use it in portrait mode

is it adapted for portrait mode?

Using the stock dell launcher, the UI is only portrait (apps switch though), but you can change the homescreen launcher easily by downloading other ones in the market (really easy to change). Read engadget review here for your other questions: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/06/dell-streak-review/

Guest maskaler

Hiya

I'm new here, purely as I'm considering getting the Streak and you all seem to be fairly clued in on the various phones and choices available at the moment.

I currently have an iPhone 3G and am out of contract meaning I can get my upgrade on and I'm stuck between getting a Streak and upgrading to the iPhone 4. The 4 looks nice and will obviously mean I can keep most of my apps, but I do like the more open OS (as well as the Streak's sheer size and setup). Has anyone here switched from an iPhone to a Streak as their main device? I must admit that I've only been looking at Android since I saw the streak and it appears it's highly customisable for things like, well, everything! Including changing the keyboard layout and other such things.

Professionally I'm a software developer so the thought of hacking about with the Streak and making it more of 'my' device really appeals. Is that easily done? I've some Linux and Java experience which I imagine will help me (?).

I guess what my directionless ranting is getting at is will I miss the UI and usability of the iPhone if I switch? It's a beautiful device but more and more recently I've been leaning towards open source and away from companies such as Apple who seem to keep everything close to their chest, even if they do make good hard/software.

Guest courtlandre
Hiya

I'm new here, purely as I'm considering getting the Streak and you all seem to be fairly clued in on the various phones and choices available at the moment.

I currently have an iPhone 3G and am out of contract meaning I can get my upgrade on and I'm stuck between getting a Streak and upgrading to the iPhone 4. The 4 looks nice and will obviously mean I can keep most of my apps, but I do like the more open OS (as well as the Streak's sheer size and setup). Has anyone here switched from an iPhone to a Streak as their main device? I must admit that I've only been looking at Android since I saw the streak and it appears it's highly customisable for things like, well, everything! Including changing the keyboard layout and other such things.

Professionally I'm a software developer so the thought of hacking about with the Streak and making it more of 'my' device really appeals. Is that easily done? I've some Linux and Java experience which I imagine will help me (?).

I guess what my directionless ranting is getting at is will I miss the UI and usability of the iPhone if I switch? It's a beautiful device but more and more recently I've been leaning towards open source and away from companies such as Apple who seem to keep everything close to their chest, even if they do make good hard/software.

I switched from my iPhone 3GS and while I do miss some of the UI elements of the iphone and also push messages, the streak is nice and I dont regret switching. Android is still relatively new compared to the iphone and isnt nearly as polished. Once the streak gets 2.2, it will be very close to the iphone. My BIGGEST complaint with it right now is that the keyboard doesnt support multitouch input which makes typing painfully slow compared to the iphone. Again though, in 2.2 multitouch keyboards are supported.

Streak is definitely the phone for you if you want to play around with it; if you want something that just works with your apps and is familiar, stick with the iphone.

Guest maskaler
I switched from my iPhone 3GS and while I do miss some of the UI elements of the iphone and also push messages, the streak is nice and I dont regret switching. Android is still relatively new compared to the iphone and isnt nearly as polished. Once the streak gets 2.2, it will be very close to the iphone. My BIGGEST complaint with it right now is that the keyboard doesnt support multitouch input which makes typing painfully slow compared to the iphone. Again though, in 2.2 multitouch keyboards are supported.

Streak is definitely the phone for you if you want to play around with it; if you want something that just works with your apps and is familiar, stick with the iphone.

Thanks for the response. So typing quickly is tougher on the Streak as you have to lift off before you can press another key? That doesn't sound too bad. 2.2 does sound like it's going to be a vast improvement on all the versions before it. Have Dell given a timeframe for the 2.2 update? Is it plausible for the existing Streak UI to be plugged into 2.2 by something rather more smarter than me?

I remember when picking a phone was a hell of a lot easier than it seems to be nowadays :|

Guest courtlandre
Thanks for the response. So typing quickly is tougher on the Streak as you have to lift off before you can press another key? That doesn't sound too bad. 2.2 does sound like it's going to be a vast improvement on all the versions before it. Have Dell given a timeframe for the 2.2 update? Is it plausible for the existing Streak UI to be plugged into 2.2 by something rather more smarter than me?

I remember when picking a phone was a hell of a lot easier than it seems to be nowadays :|

Rumor has it that it will be released as early as next month, but possibly not until September or later. Paul, on these forums, has already rooted it which means that someone (smarter than us both haha) can release a 2.2 rom for it. The rooting process is really easy and the rom flashing is usually pretty easy as well. So, by next month I would expect to have at least 2.1 on the streak through root and by september officially through Dell.

Typing isnt too bad, but I was really fast with my iphone. It also isnt nearly as smart when fixing mistakes, but other keyboards on the market are better than the stock dell keyboard. Again, benefit of android, if you dont like something, you can just replace it!

Guest maskaler
Rumor has it that it will be released as early as next month, but possibly not until September or later. Paul, on these forums, has already rooted it which means that someone (smarter than us both haha) can release a 2.2 rom for it. The rooting process is really easy and the rom flashing is usually pretty easy as well. So, by next month I would expect to have at least 2.1 on the streak through root and by september officially through Dell.

Typing isnt too bad, but I was really fast with my iphone. It also isnt nearly as smart when fixing mistakes, but other keyboards on the market are better than the stock dell keyboard. Again, benefit of android, if you dont like something, you can just replace it!

That's pretty encouraging on all accounts. Thanks for the responses, they're all going toward making my mind up.

Guest frenzyy
Don't mean to be funny man, but going to youtube or reading any of the reviews online would answer these questions. Even better, go in to an o2 store and you can play with the device itself, most of them have them for demo at the moment.

Using the stock dell launcher, the UI is only portrait (apps switch though), but you can change the homescreen launcher easily by downloading other ones in the market (really easy to change). Read engadget review here for your other questions: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/06/dell-streak-review/

Im not from uk so i cant see it for myself, but ill take it as a compliment for my english

Ive read reviews and they all say the construction is great, maybe someone from here has found a flaw? i ordered recently a Nikon S8000 based on the reviews only, none of them said it records a beeping sound when you film with it so it cant be used for recording video, all of them have this problem.

back on topic i didnt see any pictures showing how it would render the homescreen arranged in landscape when you turn it in portrait so i was interested

Guest courtlandre
Im not from uk so i cant see it for myself, but ill take it as a compliment for my english

Ive read reviews and they all say the construction is great, maybe someone from here has found a flaw? i ordered recently a Nikon S8000 based on the reviews only, none of them said it records a beeping sound when you film with it so it cant be used for recording video, all of them have this problem.

back on topic i didnt see any pictures showing how it would render the homescreen arranged in landscape when you turn it in portrait so i was interested

I'm going out for the day, but I can make a video for you later showing portrait. Basically, its just a different homescreen like homescreen ++ that you install. Look on youtube for android homescreen or android launchers. They are basically the same on the streak as far as I can tell.

Guest courtlandre
Allright im waiting

Thanks in advance

http://qik.com/video/7385840 This shows helix launcher and then home++ which seems to only be landscape. There are a ton of launchers but these are the two I've tried. The first one has those black bars because the wallpaper I have set is for landscape.

Guest frenzyy

i dont know what helix launcher is

and home++ im guessing some kind of widgets for the homescreen

the question was how will it render my widgets and shortcuts if i arrange it in portrait and the put it in landscape

or are there 2 different homescreens and i can arrange them differently?

Guest deekarma

Already got a small scratch on gorilla glass. Grrr..