30/Jun r5 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero now with Online Kitchen - Android 2.1

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest venturerider
In bad english : if i install this version, is it necessary to wipe when the new stable release is coming?

In french : je m'exprimerai mieux (si une personne me comprend...).

Je souhaite installer la pre-release (avec un "wipe" au préalable). Lorsque la version finale de Modaco sortira, devrai-je à nouveau faire un "wipe" du smartphone?

Thanks

Merci

Plus souvent qu'autrement, un "Wipe Dalvik Cache" suffit, sauf que le premier démarrage sera long pendant que la cache se reconstruit. Mais ça ne garanti rien. Personnellement, je préfère un "Full Wipe", surtout qu'il y aura eu beaucoup de changements. J'utilise Titanium Backup pour ramener mes apps. Une vraie farce.

Si tu vis en France, j'aimerais te poser une question en message personnel si tu permets?

Guest werziluk

Been using this since yesterday Paul, as usual the cream of the crop. Even though its not overclocked its just as responsive and the battery life is amazing :)

Do you think the EU release will get friendstream?

Guest keef319

Bingo. Got LauncherPro on ok now.

All running SWEET! Only thing is a couple of FC's - htc.bgp and HTC Widget Download Manager. Are they because I don't have Sense/Rosie installed? How can I stop the phone running them?

I was running Cronos before this. Surprised to see no 3D Gallery in this version of 2.1...

Guest kiwibe
Plus souvent qu'autrement, un "Wipe Dalvik Cache" suffit, sauf que le premier démarrage sera long pendant que la cache se reconstruit. Mais ça ne garanti rien. Personnellement, je préfère un "Full Wipe", surtout qu'il y aura eu beaucoup de changements. J'utilise Titanium Backup pour ramener mes apps. Une vraie farce.

Si tu vis en France, j'aimerais te poser une question en message personnel si tu permets?

Merci pour ta réponse.

Je ferai un full wipe.

Tu peux me contacter par PM mais j'habite en Belgique... donc je ne sais pas si cela t'intéresse...

Concernant Titanium Backup, il sauvegarde tout même de fichiers systèmes (des préférences utilisateurs). Or, j'ai toujours peur qu'en changeant de rom (que ce soit de Modaco à Modaco ou de Modaco à VillainRom par ex.), cela nuisse à la stabilité du système... peut-etre ai-je tord...

Guest venturerider
Merci pour ta réponse.

Je ferai un full wipe.

Tu peux me contacter par PM mais j'habite en Belgique... donc je ne sais pas si cela t'intéresse...

Concernant Titanium Backup, il sauvegarde tout même de fichiers systèmes (des préférences utilisateurs). Or, j'ai toujours peur qu'en changeant de rom (que ce soit de Modaco à Modaco ou de Modaco à VillainRom par ex.), cela nuisse à la stabilité du système... peut-etre ai-je tord...

Ouais. J'avais des questions sur les services cellulaire en France, alors merci quand même!

Avec Titanium Backup, je ne fais que mes apps et les "Bookmarks". Parce que tu as raison, faire un "restore" de tout le système pourrais possiblement bousiller quelque chose. Je dois refaire mes préférences de système à chaque fois, mais je suis devenu expert. LOL! Ça me prend quelques minutes.

PS: J'utilise LauncherPro, qui n'est qu'une simple application pour Titanium Backup. Alors après le "restore", tous mes raccourcis sont revenus! Je dois refaire les widgets mais c'est tout.

Merci pour ta réponse.

Je ferai un full wipe.

Titanium Backup offre divers possibilités, sauvegarde des applis, applis + données et applis+données+configuration. Tant que tu reste sur une branche 2.1 tu n'auras pas de soucis. Par contre le passage d'une MCR 3.2 vers une MCR 4 m'a posé des soucis, j'ai du repartir à 0.

For non french-speaking people:

He's asking about the possibility of going from the current pre-release MCR to the upcoming final MCR 4 without wiping. AFAIK it shouldn't be necessary to do a full wipe and anyway Titanium Backup should help in this case.

Guest venturerider
He's asking about the possibility of going from the current pre-release MCR to the upcoming final MCR 4 without wiping. AFAIK it shouldn't be necessary to do a full wipe and anyway Titanium Backup should help in this case.

The pre-release MCR is ODEX'd. The newer MCR's are de-ODEX'd. That probably means a full wipe.

The pre-release MCR is ODEX'd. The newer MCR's are de-ODEX'd. That probably means a full wipe.

thanks for the input.

Btw : what does odex means ? :)

Guest kay_ran

Hey Paul, Brilliant Brilliant work! I've been snooping around here for months (always thought I had signed up, turned out I hadn't..) so 1st post.

Somewhere earlier in this thread, someone asked about the facebook contacts only syncing 100 contacts - I had this issue when I was using the villainrom 5. Basically, the fix is - (it can get pretty irritating) when you set up your phone and it says sign into your google account, *don't* then sync the facebook. What happens is 100 or so contacts from your google account get sync'd, and facebook seems to think that's all you have. So leave it until it's finished syncing, and then sync the facebook account. If you've already set up, go into your manage applications in settings, clear the data/cache for contacts storage and try again. I found I had to wait overnight for facebook to finally realise what was going on, but it could've just been the rom as it was based on a leak. Hope that helps!

Also - I had a question (I also found this in the older villainroms, so I'm guessing it's a 2.1 thing) in the people app, not all of my contacts are there, however they were all there in MCR 3.2 What I'm finding is, certain contacts don't appear in the people app, although when searching using the dialer they show up. Only if I allow facebook contacts in the view setting of the people app, do they re-appear. The problem is then it adds about 500 odd more people to my people list. It's not a major gripe, but it's slightly annoying as they're definitely google contacts and linked to facebook, as opposed to being purely facebook contacts. Anyone got any tips/experiencing the same issue?

Other than that - The rom is great! Will definitely be donating when I get off the dole....

:)

Guest Battletux

Running r4 b3

- Full wipe

Getting issues with data. Sync takes an AGE. Also in the market it seems to have issues downloading apps. Normally I queue up loads to install and it wont be an issue. But on this it is either crashing the market (taking me back to home screen) or it does not show that the app is downloading untill much later.

Guest philos64

Sorry but I need help (French)

Je suis sous MCR 3.2, et mon Recovery est Amon Ra hero v1.6.2.

J'essaie de passer en R4 build3, et lorsque j'essaie de passer en R4, avec un full wipe au préalable

Le fichier zip est trouvé, il essaie de l'ouvrir, et il m'affiche le message suivant:

E: Can't open /sdcard/r4-buil3-update-hero-modacocustomrom-signed-zip.

Bad

Installation aborted.

Est-ce que quelqu'un à un idée? Merci

Guest sheridan2000

all working really well, all syncs took time but i found a few reboots of phone seemed to fix it. the only thing that does not work for me is the voice dial app....brings up some real weird numbers not in my contacts.....still a great rom...oh and had to do the GPS trick to get the GPS to work correctly.....Thanks....looking forward to future releases

Also can not manage applications a FC when tryng to build list all the time???

Edited by sheridan2000

Guest Vitch

hi all,

first day testing this new ROM (R4 without A2SD) after a wype to make a brand new phone, this build Roxx Hard !

fast, smouth, new features works, just friends stream not added to this build i think, i hope :).

not fully localised but next version will fixed it, ( i hope too ).

I'm a french Hero user, and after many flash, this seem to be really good for a daily use. battery looks good and no force close for today.

waiting for the real MCR build with all the good stuff inclued.

thanks a lot for all.

Guest James_Lin

Tried the 2.1 repack earlier, was a bit slow, then rolled back to 1.5, haven't tried this build yet, patiently waiting for the MCR release.

Guest Mysteriarque

J'essaie de passer en R4 build3, et lorsque j'essaie de passer en R4, avec un full wipe au préalable

Le fichier zip est trouvé, il essaie de l'ouvrir, et il m'affiche le message suivant:

Bad

Installation aborted.

Re-télécharge ton fichier il semble endomagé

Guest neoclassic

Hey Paul,

I now have r4 b3 installed on my phone. For subsequent updates, will I have to wipe everything again and start over? Or is there some way to upgrade my phone and keep all my data intact the way it is now?

Cheers.

Guest Kytrix

Hi,

I would like to install dropbear on my rom ? is it possible without the kitchen ?

..Does someone has a recent howto working with eclair ?

(I find old ones but it doesn't work)

thanks.

Guest craig0r
Hey Paul,

I now have r4 b3 installed on my phone. For subsequent updates, will I have to wipe everything again and start over? Or is there some way to upgrade my phone and keep all my data intact the way it is now?

Cheers.

MCR's are designed to need no wipe between installs, but as I'm sure Paul would say if he got to this first: Try installing updates with no wipe, but if there are problems, wipe and try a fresh install. AND DON'T FORGET A NANDROID BACKUP BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.

The current release is more of a beta-quality release as I understand it, so don't be surprised if it turns out that you need to wipe.

Bad

Installation aborted.

Hi, try to download again from the mirror.

Guest Se7enair

Good Evening, I want to install r4 build3 but in only get loops mit the green HTC logo. I tried it without and with wipe, but none of them seems to work.

Any Ideas?

Guest t3monkeyboy
getting these messages after reboot the apps2sd version

The application HTC sense(process com.htc.launcher) has stopped unexpectedly

The process com.htc.bg has stopped unexpectedly

came from 3.2 rom also have cyanogen recovery, sd card formatted to fat32/ext3

just flashed over the old one without wiping

Is anyone getting the same problem? can anyone help

im not reaaly that clued up with it all managed to do everything using all the how to's on here so when i get a problem im stumped?

Ok so i did a wipe and reflashed then it was just stuck on the htc quietly brilliant screen over and over, boots up without th SD card though, not sure what to do next?

Guest Se7enair
Ok so i did a wipe and reflashed then it was just stuck on the htc quietly brilliant screen over and over, boots up without th SD card though, not sure what to do next?

I got the same problem.

Guest redcow

@paul I would like to execute:

mount -o,rw,remount /system

ln -sf /system/lib/modules/`uname -r`/wlan.ko /system/lib/modules/wlan.ko

mount -o,ro,remount /system

at booting, what is the best place to put it in? an init.d script doesn't seem to work, better in init.rc/init.hero.rc ?

Edited by redcow