30/Jun r5 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero now with Online Kitchen - Android 2.1

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest toxic-hero
Try this :-

adb remount

adb shell rm /system/app/*wsandroid*

or if you prefere graphical way: uninstall it with titanium backup.

Guest ZenTaff
A2SD doesn't work on the kitchen I baked either; restoring apps with MyBackupPro took about 100mb off the internal storage, so clearly it's not working correctly...

It's that kind of problem with A2SD that's making me stick with 3.2 until the full MCR 4.0 release is available.

Guest justaguy84

Hi,

Just updated with out seeing any problem...

updated from version 2.8 (:

did a wipe, just to be on the safe side...

Was wondering if you can add hebrew fonts to the kitchen, i cant see any hebrew when some one send me text massage , email , etc...

Thanks.

Guest ndall

Tried prebake with additions, but rolled back to 3.2 cos I need A2SD. But before I did that I managed to restore something using Titanium backup that caused sense to constantly force close. Is there a guide of what to restore from Titanium Backup to keep as many settings as poss. without restoring something incompatible with 2.1, for noobs like me?

Edited by ndall

Guest zorm
I have a problem with "documents to go", the sheet doesn't work properly in r5. In r4 was everything ok. Does someone know how to fix it? Thanks

I tried r5 & had too many issues, so as I'm moving away from Sense I installed Vanilla Eclair 4. After restoring DocsToGo I found the sheet I use for recording financial transactions appeared corrupted: two columns seemed to be replaced with repeating elements from the first row. Viewing the same .xls on my laptop showed no corruption to the data itself. So it seems Docs2Go has some issue with respect to several 2.1 ROMs resulting in it incorrectly rendering sheets.

I tried several reinstalls via Titanium Backup & in the end redownloaded from DataViz. This is probably worth doing as although I already had 2.003 & the market showed no updates, the current version is 2.003 build 605, which might be a more recent build for you; it was for me. However this won't fix the issue :lol:

Eventually I hit upon a workaround. I loaded the .xls into Office 2007 & exported it as a .xlsx file. DocsToGo was then able to correctly render & edit the file. If your problem files are currently in the old .xls format this might work for you too. Do post back to let us know.

Guest toxic-hero
Is there a guide of what to restore from Titanium Backup to keep as many settings as poss. without restoring something incompatible with 2.1, for noobs like me?

the safest bet is to restore third party apps&data only.

Edited by toxic-hero

Guest bhry23

just installed R5. everything was good until i tried connecting the phone to my PC. there was no option showing up how i want to connect the phone like use it as a drive or charge only. tried to do it manually via the settings menu by setting the default connection to drive but it still did not work. any suggestions?

Guest gotdorkie

Great work on the rom, just 1 minor issue.

Having trouble disabling mobile internet (edge) using htc widget. do i need to update the radio? I'm on T-mobile USA.

Thanks!

Guest denvro

Installed r5 (without Sense with A2SD) yesterday. Everything works fine for me only a few minor things i have already solved.

When installing without Sense you cannot change your wallpapers (Menu -> Settings -> Personalize). You can only change your home wallpaper with Menu -> Wallpaper. After pushing the Rosie.apk on to my device i could change my wallpapers again.

When starting the device (without Rosie). You get an FC on HTC Widget Download Manager (process com.htc.RosieUtility). This is also solved by putting Rosie.apk back on my device.

So removing Sense isn't just a matter of leaving Rosie.apk out. Hope this report is helpfull.

Guest Formwandler
... But before I did that I managed to restore something using Titanium backup that caused sense to constantly force close. Is there a guide of what to restore from Titanium Backup to keep as many settings as poss. without restoring something incompatible with 2.1, for noobs like me?

I also did a full recovery with TitaniumBackup based on a backup under MCR 2.9 (Android 1.5). Afterwards HTC Sense was crashing in an endless loop. So, system data and system settings seem not to be recoverable. After wiping r5 to factory I recovered only the apps plus their data, which worked so far.

[update]: Tried some single recoveries: Recovery of (HTC)Mail settings worked. But recovery of user dictionary didn' t.

Edited by Formwandler

Guest Formwandler

I updated from MCR 2.9 to prebake-r5 today (with additions + radio). In general everything works now but I have some comments and problems to report:

*The dalvikcache script seems to move the cache from /data partition only once at first initial reboot. If you later install apps, it seems that the cache files of these apps remain on /data. Seems to be a bug, or what is the concept behind the dalvikcache script? Removing the cache from /data is a good idea which propably makes A2SD obsolete.

*Don't recover system settings from MCR 2.x (Android 1.5) with e.g. TitaniumBackup. See post above.

*I would like to have A2SD in prebake in case dalvikcache does not free enough space on /data.

Edited by Formwandler

Guest bubaloo

Anyone else having problems with haptic feedback? Tried changing the setting in super user and in language and keyboard

Guest agremlins
*The dalvikcache script seems to move the cache from /data partition only once at first initial reboot. If you later install apps, it seems that the cache files of these apps remain on /data. Seems to be a bug, or what is the concept behind the dalvikcache script? Removing the cache from /data is a good idea which propably makes A2SD obsolete.

I agree with you.

I've found some documentation :

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Dalv...ache-relocation

http://forum.samdroid.net/f9/relocate-dalv...-up-space-1117/

Don't know if the secnod link is valid for the hero. I'll search more before doing something on my hero.

Guest Rinchwind
Was wondering if you can add hebrew fonts to the kitchen, i cant see any hebrew when some one send me text massage , email , etc...

I've just installed the hebrew fonts update file from 3.2, nothing seems broken and I can see hebrew in messages and on the web without any problem.

Guest mamic933

:lol: Got an ad-free yesterday, cooked r5 without facebook and twitter but with A2SD and radio. Got it incl. download in 15 min. Installed according to instruction (wipe first) and spent about 2 hours to reinstall apps (though Titanium) and put the icons back where I want them. Installed a fef apps from market where I havent had access to before - Everything works perfectly, no FC, no memory problems, no problems at all! It is well worth to spend this 12,50 €

Thanks to Paul and everybody else who contributed to this

mamic, :D :D happy user!

Guest Loxley

Hi Paul!

may we please have:

cd /system/xbin
ln -s dropbear scp[/codebox]

and

[codebox]echo 'root:x:0:0:root:/root:/system/xbin/ash' >> /etc/passwd

To enable scp.

Thanks for your work

Niki

Guest Vitch

hi everyone, i have tested R5 build for 2 day it was ok, no FC, no probleme, battery looks good and it was a full localised version. i think i will test the addition's less build to see if memory was better.

thank for all

Edited by Vitch

Guest Musicmannetje

Okay, here's my 50 cents.

I have installed the prebacked version, indeed without a2sd yesterday and I must say that it took me some time to get it right.

Having run MCR 3.2 (with a2sd) for ages, I tried installing the R5 without a wipe.. This ended, as some of you also encountered, in a continuous loop of restarting the HTC sense app. It kept crashing.

I suspected the apps, so I wiped the ext3 partition and reflashed the image... Nothing different than I already had: crashing sense apps.

I finally restored the 3.2 installation I had made prior to this, made a backup of all my data (Mybackup Pro) and made an extra backup of the sms and contacts via Wavesecure. Wiped the data, leaving the Ext3 partition in tact, reflashed R5 and still nothing more than an error message about the sense app.

Finally, a complete wipe and a restore of both (selected) apps and data via MyBackup got me where I am now: fairly similar to the HERO I was so used to, but with a 2.1 release.

I have got the impression that the receiption is not as good as it was before, but that i'm not sure about.

I really do miss the a2sd!!! (can we please get it back, can we, can we...???). I even had to delete some of the Apps i was using because Copilot had to fit on there as well. I guess I have to get the online-kitchen version soon then, but I heard rumours that the a2sd didn't work on that either.

I am curious to see how things are working out in the coming days.

Guest vatvedt
... I guess I have to get the online-kitchen version soon then, but I heard rumours that the a2sd didn't work on that either.

I'm using the R5 baked in the kitchen with A2SD+. Works great! I have a class 6 SD card.

Guest BenAdar
... I guess I have to get the online-kitchen version soon then, but I heard rumours that the a2sd didn't work on that either.

I use a kitchen version with a2sd (no '+') and it works. I had a boot-loop at my first boot after flashing (did a full wipe). But this happened only at the first boot. Since then I had no boot-loops or FCs anymore.

@ Paul: Great work! Looking forward to MCR4

Guest wabe

Took the plunge and updated to r5 today (from MCR 3.9). I'm currently run a "baked" image without a2sd since I heard several people had problems. This is what I did:

- wiped and reformatted ext-partition to ext3 (used ext4 before)

- "factory reset"

- flashed new image

- setup mail accounts, wifi etc

- restored missing apps with using titanium backup, using caution, - only restored apps I know I actively installed

Everything works quite well - no problems whatsoever!

I miss the custom kernel (technologist) and a fully working a2sd. I remember clearly the positive performance impact this had on the old version when it was introduced. Quite happy with this ROM in the meantime!